Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Westwood - a Kimpton Hotel

10740 Wilshire Blvd (Formerly Westwood on Wilshire Hotel), Los Angeles, California, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 62% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Wonderful and also pet friendly

We had friends visiting from the UK, so we drove up to spend Saturday and Sunday with them. Went online at PetsWelcome to look for accomodations which accepted pets (regardless of size) and found The Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Westwood (A Kimpton Hotel). Excellent choice, great location and very, very friendly. We had a fantastic room with view of downtown L.A. and a nice neighborhood behind the hotel to walk the dogs.

Unique Quality: We didn't use all of the facilities available to us, but did go downstairs for the Wine Happy Hour, internet was free and the dogs received a welcome package (dog food, water, bowl, treats, etc.). Overall, we were very impressed and will definitely stay here again.

• catchpm's Profile Photo

Very nice!

I paid about a 1/3 of the rack rate by naming my price on priceline. I ended up paying GBP41 per room per night (approx $65) which you probably couldn't even get some 2* hotels for. So for value, it was outstanding. I wouldn't pay the rack rate though. For my price per person selection for this tip, I've used the rack rates for an average day.

V Nice reception area, pleasant staff, and lovely free fresh warm cookies upon check-in. The rooms were nice with 2 large double beds and a bathroom with power shower and Neutrogina bathroom products. Good sized cable TV with plenty of channels. I had a view looking out over Wilshire Boulevard, which was looking straight at other high buildings and wasn't particularly inspiring.

As for facilities, I never used the restaurant or bar. The 24 hour gym was respectable. There was a small shop and a valet parking service - price was steep at about $21 per day with unlimited in and out. That price is high enough, then the parking attendants need a tip too

The area is a big plus. Westwood is a few miles out of Beverly Hills, and is quite an affluent area. Couple this with the fact that it's next to the UCLA campus, and you have a very pleasant and SAFE area. I never sensed any trouble around Westwood village - which was actually a really nice place, with plenty of shops, restaurants and cinemas. For a person who was paranoid about not coming back from LA alive, this was a welcome change. I felt no need to keep my hand on my wallet and shuffle along looking at the floor the whole time. This made my stay in this area all the better.

Location in respect of being central isn't bad when you have a car. If you were relying on public transport it might not be so great.

Hotel and location highly recommended. In LA you can be close to something, but never central to anything as it is so huge (don't underestimate how big one city can be!!!), so really you are better staying in a safe area and driving around, rather than trying to pick a central point which might be in an unsafe place

Directions: A few miles from Beverly Hills along Wilshire Blvd, next to Westwood Village and the UCLA campus

More about Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Westwood - a Kimpton Hotel

Loved the Hotel Palomar - LA

by TripAdvisor Member dt14214

The location of the hotel is very centralized in the LA area. It is a BEAUTIFUL hotel. The hotel is decorated to be a very homey atmosphere. The staff was very attentive to all my needs. Overall it was a GREAT experience and I will be staying there in the future.

fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ddetravel

I can't even discount the rating I'm giving this hotel based on the air conditioning not working well in the lobby on one of the hottest days of the year. I was treated so very well from the moment I entered the doors. Asked immediately if I would like a glass of wine or other cool beverage, I opted for checking in and getting rid of my bag before partaking in the refreshments. Check in was so friendly and easy. He found my name so quickly and asked me if I needed help with my bag. The front desk man was so nice, he wanted to make sure I got a glass of wine before I headed upstairs.

I was blown away when I walked into my room. I thought there was a mistake, because I wasn't just given a room, they gave me a suite. And it was beautiful - a room with an adjoining living room complete with dining room furniture. Sweet. Last surprise - a bottle of champagne chilling in the living room with a card with my name on it sitting next to the bottle.

The room itself (without the suite) was so pretty. Contemporary and very comfortable. Great bath products and very quiet.

Warm Reception in West Los Angeles

by TripAdvisor Member SteveandHeather

We stayed here for three nights. It has only been open for a few months. The staff has obviously been told that service is a priority. Every person we encountered, from chambermaids to other hotel staff, made a point of greeting us.
We ate at the hotel restaurant two of the three nights and found the food to be of excellent quality, albeit a bit pricey.
Our room had a large screen television. While a nice feature, it underlined the fact that the room was a bit small, with a lot of furniture in it.
Something hotels always get wrong is that they use up every single electrical outlet in the room, meaning that you have to unplug something if you want to plug in a computer, charge a Blackberry, etc. But in our room, there was a power bar built into the side of the dresser adjoining the desk, making it easy to connect devices.
We were here to see a concert at UCLA. One nice touch is that the hotel staff will drive you to any destination within about two miles, so we were taken to our show by the concierge.
Everything worked in the room (the AC was somewhat noisy).
Overall, excellent accomodations. We're docking it one star for the small room.

Good deal for the money

by TripAdvisor Member K_Crockett

We booked two rooms, which weree both comfortable and spacious. A/C worked well. Loved the lighting - lamps turned on and up and off with a mere touch. Bed was ultra comfortable. The decor is contemporary and fun. The location was very convenient for us as we needed to be near UCLA. Breakfast was very good, excellent coffee, and the restaurant has a fun, sleek decor.

Negatives - our tub drain was clogged and slow (room 827), the walls are a bit thin (our neighbors came in at 3am and we could literally hear their entire conversation), and the ceiling in the fitness room is low, so my 6'4" husband couldn't use the treadmill. We didn't complain about the tub because we only stayed one night, and the other things weren't anything that management could fix anyway, so we didn't report those either (this is being written in case management reads this and wonders why we didn't report anything while we were there).

That being said, we would still stay here again. I shopped around for prices and what we could get here with our AAA discount was quite a bit better than anything else I could find of the same quality and location.

Outstanding, Brilliant, Exceptional!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sbrown130373

Stayed for 5 nights July 08. From the minute I arrived to the minute I left I was made to feel special!! A friend of mine had had surgery and met me at the hotel whilst bandaged around the head!

2 days later the receptionist asked how he was getting on! - not many hotels can say that the staff not only remember guests but also visitors of guests!

The room I had on the 8th floor was fantastic, modern, clean, nice view, incredibly bathroom, Shower and bath both brillian!. Bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in!

I can't praise this hotel enouth.

The 720/920 bus routes are 3 block walk and whisk you to downtown la or santa monica

A dissenting opinion

by TripAdvisor Member VaTourist_8

We booked this hotel prior to its opening, and from the information available it appeared to be only a block away from Westwood Village and fairly close to UCLA. The hotel is actually at least a 15 minute walk from Westwood Village. It is located in a stretch of high-rise condos and apartments on Wilshire with not even so much as a coffee shop or convenience store within a close walk.
Unless you get a suite, expect a very, very small room. Ours was so small that we did not have room to put up two suitcase stands. Worse, the pillows were rock-hard. We called down for feather pillows without success and I finally had to go down to search for a couple of softer pillows.
As for the Kimpton amenities, the afternoon "wine and cheese" reception was only wine and little bowls of mixed nuts. The morning light breakfast was only tea and coffee with no food of any kind. For business travelers, beware the Kimpton wi-fi access: it is not a secure network.
All in all, it was a complete disappointment. We checked out after one night and fled to the downtown Omni which was heaven.
--Virginia traveler

Glad we got the grand opening rate... not worth the regular price

by TripAdvisor Member catchatorie

My husband and I love Kimpton Hotels, so we were super excited to see this one opening in LA, right before my sisters wedding. So much so that we also had a dozen of our friends and family book here too.

The hotel is gorgeous and the location is great too. We only had breakfast in the restaurant and that was really good. Our major complaint is with the hotels willingness to problem solve and accommodate guests when a problem does occur. Our problem had to do with the crib provided for our infant daughter. It was not adequete and the hotel's website claimed to have cribs specifically for infants, which it did not. Also, the crib was not in our room when we checked in, at midnight, so it added to the stress of traveling with an infant that late at night. When we complained to the hotel staff, the person we spoke with said that she was sorry, but that she didn't have children so couldn't understand what we were complaining about. The GM contacted us as well, after we made several attempts to resolve the matter with the hotel staff. He clearly had been misinformed because he criticized us for wanting a crib bumper (which we did not want).... If we had the time to spend our entire trip playing phone tag in the hopes to connect with someone that was willing to fix the problem we would have, but we were there for a wedding and had things to do.

On a seperate note... I'm not sure what the hotel is doing to qualify as eco friendly since the light bulbs in the lamps aren't even the eco friendly variety and the water faucets are the kind that only have temperature control and not volume control.

Overall, we were extremely dissapointed with the service of the hotel and would NOT recommend it to a friend, nor would we be likely to stay in another Kimpton Hotel in the future.

A very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member GaryandKimKcmo

I'm not a frequent traveler[1-2 business, 1-2 times for pleasure]but, when I do, I like to stay at locations/hotels that make my visit fun/enjoyable. We[family of 4, 2 girls, me and spouse] recently visited relatives in LA and stayed in Hotel Palomar. The accommodations were outstanding while the customer service was exceptional. Accommodations- the hotel was designed with a nice quaint modern atmosphere, a step up from something that of a nice 4 or 5 star hotel. This made our stay away from home a bit more pleasant. The service desk/service personnel were all very helpful when questions rose, and/or even when small talk started in the elevator. The choice of lotions[a small item] also made an impression on our family. I can't recall the exact name, however, my wife made a lotion purchase at a local LA mall of the same product[made from Shea butter...spelling??]. Customer Svc - During our stay, we needed room service[towels one time and more lotion from a day on the beach], on both occassions service personnel were knocking at our door fulfilling the service within 3mins.....I kid you not. That is customer service. The mattresses were the kind when I moved during sleep, my wife couldn't feel it or notice that I had changed sleeping positions. If she is happy, then I am happy.

I highly recommend this hotel to any traveler....not only for 'weekly travelers', but also to people who want to spice up their hotel stay when away from home. I give it 5.1 stars out of 5. Also for the record, I plan to stay there during our next trip to LA.
Happy Campers[sleepers]. Also, they serve complimentary wine in the evening [5-7pm or 6-8pm ??] for all of you wine connoisseurs - Cheers.

Over the expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member Chus_Barcelona_BCN

We enjoyed every second of our stay in the hotel. I have never been so well treated from the staff, always seeking for perfection. There is outstanding and such a big range of different services to choose from. Rooms are well designed and comfortable too. Restaurant food is friendly for everybody in the family.
We loved the fact that is pet-friendly and eco-friendly!
It is high recommended for people who want a great stay in Los Angeles.

Comments