7025 Franklin Ave, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90028, United States

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Magic Castle and Hollywood Hills Hotel

The Magic castle hotel is a great place to stay. It looks small at first view but its rooms are on the generous side and all mostly located around the pool in the centre of the site. The staff here are fantastic (Nick & Lisa especially) and go out of their way to help. The location is good if you are wanting to be close to Hollywood's attractions including the, very underwelming, walk of fame.

• mingomatic's Profile Photo

Cool place. But you better come dressed to the 9's

This place is invite only! You have to know someone who is a member of the venue which costs a lot of money to subscribe to. I was here a few months ago with some friends for an event. First, I forgot about the strict dress code. Los Angeles is typically a super casual city and you can get in anywhere with a t-shirt and jeans. Not in this place! They don't let guys in unless you are wearing a suit. I believe they have some spare jackets lying around in the back but I wouldn't dare wear those. You never know who's been in those jackets. :)

So yeah, I arrived in jeans. Luckily, I live close enough to go home, change and come back.

So basically, this is a place of magic shows! You go from one show to the next, all night. You can literally spend half a day here going to different magic shows. Some of them are serious magic. Others mix in comedic routines. It's a ton o' fun.

Unique Quality: Just about everything in at the Magic Castle is unique. They have a very old style decor. The whole place is a maze. It has the feel of a haunted house. You can get lost and walk through empty rooms and dark hallways. They have a cool self playing piano. We did some karaoke while it played Bohemian Rhapsody. Food is decent. But a bit overpriced.

I guess I only have one minor complaint. The combination of not being allowed to take pics, the dress code and invite only makes it a bit snooty. But I get it. They want to make it a special experience. All-in-all, a very unique Hollywood experience. If you can get in, do it!

• suzannebowser's Profile Photo

A Unique Place

This was a small, intimate hotel in L.A. next to the Magic Castle just 2 blocks from the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Kodak Theatre. It was very clean. The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. It was in an excellent location for sight seeing in Hollywood. I would recommend this hotel because of price, location and cleanliness.

Unique Quality: Nice view, clean pool in a private courtyard, delicious breakfast included in price.

Directions: @ blocks from Hollywood Walk of Fame.

• What a nice place to stay ....

We stayed at the Magic Castle for 3 nights in Oct 2005 – we only chose this hotel because of the continual positive reviews we had read and we were not disappointed.

From the moment we checked in we were made to feel welcome – helped us with our bags before we got in the door - offered us each a complimentary bottle of water – gave us a good run through what the hotel and surrounding areas had to offer – basically offered to help with anything we needed.

We did have some problems with accessing the internet in our room and they came straight in and sorted it out.

The accommodation was very spacious with a separate bedroom and living room and kitchen. The location is one street back from Hollywood Boulevard and only a couple of miles from Universal Studios.

Have to say a big thanks to Shawn and the rest of the staff for a really enjoyable stay.

• C_L_T's Profile Photo

Hooray for Hollywood!

The main hotel building is quite small and all rooms overlook a courtyard. In the centre of the courtyard is a swimming pool and sun terraces. The room i had was very spacious with full kitchen, dining area, living area with cable tv, bathroom and seperate bedroom. There is also internet access and laundry facilities. The decor is modern and the staff were very helpful and friendly. There are also bungalows you can rent out set further up into the Hollywood Hills.

Directions: One block behind Manns Chinese Theatre

More about Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle

The Magic Casle in LA was ok. The staff was very helpful however the rugs up to the hotel room on the stairs were old and could have used some cleaning, sames goes with the rugs in the room. Furniture was old however the rooms were large with little balcony over looked the pool area. I also attended the Magic Castle Magic show next door and loved it the food was also great

Magic Castle Rocks!!

by TripAdvisor Member Angelcalgary

We stayed at the Magic Castle in March of 2004, after having cancelled two previous reservations at a couple of other hotels in the area because of safety reasons. We stayed for a week and loved it. The rooms are not first class but they are clean and that's all that matters to me. I liked the apartment complex layout with balconies overlooking the heated pool. The staff was super friendly with advise on the area and helping us when we needed things (they lent us a corkscrew and utensils, etc.). We never made it to the club so next time that will be something to check out but I will definitely stay there again, that is of course if the price doesn't go up too much.

Convenient, Fun, and Customer Friendly

I stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel to gain access to the Magic Castle CLUB. The club is a lot of fun, but exclusive to members and hotel guests. The Hotel was fantastic. The personnel were professional, friendly, and very accomodating. In fact, prior to checking out I went to the continental breakfast (very good) and the GM greeted me and brought me a fresh carafe of orange juice. The hotel offers turn down service, mini bar snacks (reasonably priced), and a great location for Hollywood nightlife. The room that I stayed in was recently renovated, and I was informed that a full renovation of the hotel will be completed before 2005. If you're coming to hollywood for the Magic Castle, Yamashiro, or to see the sights this is the boutique hotel where you should stay.

Thanks Tripadvisor.com

My wife and I stayed at the Hollywood Hills Hotel part of the Magic Castle on our recent vacation to California. Thanks to Tripadvisor it seemed like we had been there before. Every apect of the hotel was superb, from location-easy walk to Hollywood Blvd. attractions to the room with a balcony overlooking the hills and city " magnificent". The hotel staff was outstanding-they set up reservations at the Yamishiro-to allowing us to drive down the hill and park in the gargage at the Magic Castle when we walked to attractions. A great experience- thanks Tripadvisor and Magic Castle.

Reasonable but in need of refurbishment!

Stayed here for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom suite (2 king beds and 1 queen sofa bed). Having read the reviews on this site I decided to stay at the Magic Castle. However, given the reviews, the price and the other hotels I have stayed at on this trip I was pretty disappointed! First the negatives: phone and safe in my room did not work (although I was offered a new suite, but didn't take due to the large amount of lugguage we had. Instead, we got a discount on our room rate, which I thought was pretty good of them), there is no air conditioning in the bedrooms (fans only, although there is air conditioning in the living room), air conditioning in the living room is really really loud - can't sleep with it on, the room was really old - they definitely need some new furniture and the suite was really noisy (noise from other room's ac, all doors in the hotel slam - not good if you are not an early riser, noise from above apartment, noisey plumming. I did not sleep that well during my stay at the Magic Castle). Also the price is pretty expensive. However, there are a number of offsetting positives: great breakfast, staff are really helpful, parking is cheap (note there is now $8 parking charge per night), big suites, good kitchen, great location (very close to Hollywood Bl, also close to Freeway 101 & Griffith park). On balance, would stay here again but would not be my first choice. This place is good for families or large groups.

Disappointed with our stay.

by TripAdvisor Member babla

We were not happy with our stay at the Magic Castle. When I booked the room, I requested a refurbished room. When we arrived at 10:00 PM, however, we were given a double king room that was awful. The carpet was extremely stained and the room smelled. We were given another room, which was a little better, but we had to move 6 suitecases across the courtyard and up 3 flights of stairs (there are no elevators). Not to mention my husband moved the roll-away bed to the new room all by himself because housekeeping was gone for the night.

I suppose that if you get a refurbished room, your stay here could be pleasant. They did have a nice breakfast and a small, but decent, pool (no jacuzzi, though). The best feature is its closeness to Hollywood attractions. You literally are walking distance to the Chinese and Kodak theatre complexes.

Unfortunately, we were stuck in an old, carpet-stained room with air conditioner units so loud we couldn't sleep at night. To their credit, the management gave us a reduced rate. However, we will not return here.

Magic Castle Hotel - Good Location?

by Bhoganmon

Does anyone have an opinion as to the Magic Castle Hotel in Hollywood? Safe/Clean area? Close to major attractions?

We are planning a "girls" trip with 4 women and 2 teenagers in July and this place which was recomended on Tripadvisor appeared to provide a large room at the rate we were looking at. However, I do not know if the location will be the best.

Any comments will be helpful. Thanks

Re: Magic Castle Hotel - Good Location?

by dutch2220

Hello!
I've never been in the hotel part of the Magic Castle, but I do know the area fairly well. It's a great location for visiting Hollywood Blvd., the Hollywood/Highland shopping mall, and the Hollywood Bowl which is a MUST in the summer, no matter what is showing. Check out www.hollywoodbowl.com for the schedule, and get tickets in advance.
As for the safety, due to soaring real estate prices this area in the Hills is full of million-dollar homes and is becoming rapidly gentrified. However, that unsavoury element still exists. As with anywhere in LA, just use your common sense, don't walk about alone at night, and everything should be fine. I live perhaps a mile and a half from where you are staying, and never have had a problem.
Email me with any questions, and I will be happy to help out. Have a wonderful time!

Re: Magic Castle Hotel - Good Location?

by travelgourmet

It is a nice apartment looking hotel with a center courtyard/pool area. Being on Franklin Ave can cause a little problem with street traffic noise as Franklin is a cut off street to avoid Hollywood Blvd. That will be the only problem ( annoyance) as well as maybe parking. If you get an option to attend the Magic Castle Club, there is a age limit of no one under 21, except Sunday Brunch. If you enjoy magic, then the 4 women could go for the evening show. You are close to most of the attractions in Hollywood, and as mentioned, safe in the day time and at night as well, if you stay aware of your surroundings. The Japanese Restaurant, Yamashiro, up above your location has a great view of LA.

Comments