Miyako Inn and Spa

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• nkhong's Profile Photo

Weekend Get Away

Being close to downtown LA, Miyako was the perfect location for a weekend get-away. Having driven to the hotel, the bellboys were quick to help unload our luggage and help me park the car so that I could check in without worries. The check-in counter staff was friendly and quick. The hotel itself is not in tip-top condition, however for the price we paid and the service received it was very reasonable. There are plenty of Japanese restaurants nearby within walking distance. Planning to go out for a night on the town, we chose to eat nearby at a Japanese yakitori place, which was located in a Japanese strip mall located 5 minutes walk from the hotel. We were able to catch a taxi with ease outside the hotel to head into downtown to dance the night away. The best was the next morning, after checking-out, the hotel didn’t mind we kept the car there until we finished our Japanese ramen just right across the street.

Directions: In Little Tokyo

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

I've got reservations here -- quality TBD

I've not been here before, but a friend that lives near this hotel says it's a nice place. So I've got reservations there. Will give more details after my stay. Meanwhile, got a great price through Expedia (there's a link here, from VirtualTourist -- use it!). $75/night!

More about Miyako Inn and Spa

I have stayed any many hotels in Los Angles

i have stayed at many hotels & have been going to the miyako hotel inn for about 2 years when I go to los angles & have found that
the service has went down hill the only good thing is the massage the rest gives me stress they have a steam room that is filthy I mean band aids on the floor the steam room that hardly comes out slime on the floor i asked the front office of the spa witch was a man could the steam room come out a little harder & could the band aids be picked up he runs in the ladies part of the spa not caring of you are in the nude or not picks up the band aid and walks turning up the steamrom so high it burns you out so i went to go get a towel i look and there was blood on the towel i told once again to the attendants i got the blow off the whirlpool that does nothing no smell of chorine at al the whole 2 years i have been going there when i check in this hotel it never fails i am waiting 30-40 min just to get my reservation right money! money! money ! that all this hotels cares about for the price of this hotel and now the cost to get the toe infection out of my toe from the filth i think that will be the last time i will stay at the miyako period there are too many hotels in los angles that are clean and care about there guest !

Stayed for Universal Studios trip--good deal but Area ----

by TripAdvisor Member jenjenstar

My husband & I got a great deal on the Miyako Hotel in downtown LA on priceleine. the hotel's website is great, sharing what appears to be actual pictures of an upscale tendy hotel. the hotel itself was about a 1-2 star, tops. the room was clean & the rest of the hotel was small & lower than average. the area on the other hand was terrible. we stayed there to visit Universal Studios the next day. the commute was about 30 minutes & traffic was awful. the parking is the worst. the second night we has to park in the gross strip mall's parking lot. the hotel only has about 15 spaces & they are jammed pack together. i did not feel safe & the staff was SO RUDE! they didn't even make eye contact with us as we were chicking in. I would not stay here again, not even in a suite.

Better than you'd think

by TripAdvisor Member texasbanzai

I stayed at this hotel for 7 days/6 nights while attending PDC 2005. I registered late, so most of the hotels downtown were booked. I really had low expectations after finding this one still had rooms, but when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. Others I had gone with stayed at the Figueroa, but this was much better. I've seperated this into 2 sections, the good and the bad.

The Good:
--------------------

As a preface: This hotel IS in Little Tokyo. There is no denying that. All the stores, restaurants in about a 2 block radius are decidely Japanese. However, the area just seems to exude a safe feel. It is, of course, downtown LA, but I found myself trying to rush back to Little Tokyo when I was walking at night. I saw, perhaps, 5 homeless in the area while I was there, and I was never "panhandled". This was, for sure, a stark difference from, say, the financial district or the convention center area, where I most definitely felt unsafe and was constantly baraged with requests for change. Long story short: I felt safe walking around the area of the hotel, even at midnight.

I booked a "Deluxe" room (they have 4 room types, the Standard, Deluxe, Executive, and Tokyo). The hotel seems somewhat unkept, but is without a doubt a 3+ star hotel. The rooms are fairly big. Mine came with a nice, plush comforter, good pillows, a leather executive chair at the desk, a nice sized TV (25"-27" or somewhere thereabouts) with around 20 channels, including 2 movie channels (HBO and what I think was HBO2), 3 ESPN channels, the locals, Cartoon Network, and a few others (one is entirely in Japanese). Also, they had FREE wireless internet. It said it was only on a few, distinct floors, but I was on one of the other floors, and it worked fine for me. They say they offer wired service also, but I couldn't find this in the room. It also says they will let you borrow a wireless PC card if you need it. The bathroom was nice and big, and definitely clean. The toilet came equipped with a bidet system, if you're into that sort of thing, but if you aren't, it's completely optional, and you can just ignore it (if you're like me). Overall, I would give the rooms a B+ (let's say a run-of-the-mill Holiday Inn is a D on my chart).

The staff is probably less friendly than they could be, but I didn't find this to be offensive. It did seem that this hotel was big with Oriental tourists (the Miyako is apparently a well known chain in Japan), so I did feel a little out of place. Most of the patrons were well dressed most of the time, which was much different from my jeans-and-t-shirt style.

The Miyako also has a nice little bistro downstairs, named Cafe Take 5, which was very nice. The staff wasn't exactly of Starbucks quality (less curteous, and more "this is my after school job"), but the quality of the food was nice. The cafe mocha was definitely better than Starbucks, any day, and about $1.50 cheaper. It also extends out on the street, and I found this somewhat trendy and cool. The hotel also has a restaurant that looked good, but nothing sticks out to tell you it's on the 2nd floor, not the 1st, so I never tried it. As a fan of the bland food, the staff was able to give me alternatives to less-exotic food establishments, including an Italian one down the street.

One of my favorite things was the store downstairs. It was nice, and cheap. 20oz Cokes were $1.50, but this was a welcome surprise to the normal $3 I pay at most hotels. I also bought some Tylenol a few times, and it was only $0.75 for the little 2 pill package. I definitely didn't feel like they were trying to gouge me for money.

I didn't have a car the time I was there, and honestly, I could see how this would be a pain. There really didn't look to be much parking "potential" in the area. Personally, I would skip the car and make your way around. The DASH, a smaller local bus system, is only about 1 block away, as well as the nearest Metro stop (they are right next to each other). I found myself using the Metro most of the time to make my way around the city, and then just catching a Taxi back to the hotel at night.

Now, to the bad:
--------------------

I found, as others did, that the shower head was low (let's say the shower head is right about 5' 6", so right about to my nose). The water came out of the nozzle in a concentrated stream, which I didn't like, but I came to get used to it. I am used to running the shower water a minute or two to heat up the water at home, but doing this here resulted in about a 1/4" of water in the tub which I had to drain. Of course, the water came out hot pretty quickly, so I was simply doing this out of habit.

Also, the bathroom always smelled a little...sanitary. I'm not sure if it was the bidet system, or just the city water, but it was a little annoying. I learned to shut the toilet cover and close the bathroom door. Really, no biggie.

The hotel room was a little noisy. Nothing awful, just somewhat of a constant, very faint rumble that seemed to come from outside the room. Not sure if it was the A/C unit or what. I always go to sleep with the TV on, so I just had the TV drown out the background noise.

The bed was a little firm for my taste. I had 2 queens, so I thought about sleeping on top of one of the comforters, and taking the sheets of the other bed to cover up, to try and get a little extra padding. Again, not a deal breaker. I just wished the beds were a little plusher.

Lastly (and this is just a personal quirk), housekeeping had a tendency to move my things in the bathroom. Normally, I'm ok with this if they'll take it and nicely arrange it on a towel or washcloth or something, but this was much more a push-to-the-side job. I could have down without that. Of course, I didn't complain and ask for it to be done differently, so they might have made an exception for me.

Overall:
--------------------

Overall, excelent. This fit right in @ $99/night. In downtown LA, I think this was a steal. I would stay here again, without a doubt.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member mstaigertravel

The hotel was great, we were upgraded with a nicer room with white down comforter and the parking is small but cheap comparing with other hotels downtown Los Angeles. We enjoyed all the inexpensive asian restaurant. As a travel agent I will difinitely recomment this hotel. The room was clean but the bathroom needs cleaning. The shower area has mildew in between the tiles. I see this problem anywhere including 5 star hotel. This is the only reason why I marked 4 star ratings. Otherwise everything is great.

Strongly recommended

We stayed in this hotel from Nov 24 to Nov 27 2005. The hotel staff is very friendly. Our room was upgraded to deluxe room at no extra cost and had an awesome view of LA downtown skyline. The hotel room was very clean, bed was cozy, room ambience was nice and hotel itself is nicely located on the outskirts of downtown. Hotel parking is 14$ valet parking with multiple entry howvever one can park in the Tokyo Mall parking overnight right next to hotel for 6$ a day and just 3$ for weekend. This hotel is awesome for the price they charge. I booked it through priceline. Starbucks, Quiznos and Subway are close by. Room had fridge, internet connection and electronic locker. Like others mentioned, there are homeless people in the area but then that would be true for any hotel in downtown area. I recommend it and would definitely stay here again.

Very Helpful

by TripAdvisor Member Yodaleyet

Stayed there in October. There were problems with bedbugs in the room. We informed the manager who moved us to another room. Had to write to head office for a refund. Didn't really think we should have to pay for the privilege of being eaten alive!! Everything was sorted out eventually to our satisfaction. Staff and management will go the extra mile if push comes to shove. Will stay there again.

No Bed Bugs!

I was seriously concerned when reading several accounts of bed bugs associated with this hotel. The first thing I did getting into the room was to inspect our beddings to make sure there were no tiny moving specs anywhere. There were none of course.

We got a room at the hotel through Priceline. It was clean, decent-sized, and a great value for its price. The best thing is its location -- right next to a Japanese mall with cute little shops, a bakery, and great Japanese restaurants. I would give it an Excellent rating but the parking arrangement was a little confusing. The lot for self-parking was not that clean. Overall, it is in downtown LA, close to many attractions -- a place we will stay at again.

A Trip To Little Tokyo

A Trip to Little Tokyo
By Athena McCrary
Miyako Inn & Spa
328 East 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

In the heart of Little Tokyo, the Miyako Inn & Spa is a moderately priced hotel that offers a great location, a touch of culture, and modern amenities that would satisfy the needs of any business or leisure traveler. The hotel has a spa that offers shiatsu massage and discount coupons for hotel guests. There is also a gym inside the spa. In the lobby, Café Take 5 is a chic coffee shop that specializes in making bio-energy, Pi water drinks. Hata is the hotel’s restaurant/ karaoke bar that serves breakfast and dinner. The menu is a bit pricey but there are several Japanese restaurants and sushi bars within walking distance.

The hotel makes a huge first impression when guests walk through the sliding glass doors and step onto the marble floors in the lobby. Unfortunately, the Standard Rooms do not match the elegant, luxurious vibe of the lobby. Instead the rooms look like they are in desperate need of a renovation. The bathroom had peeling wallpaper and a sink with chipped paint. The sleeping area was poorly lit. The work desk was spacious, but the chair was dirty and needed to be reupholstered. Guests would probably be much better off booking the Deluxe or Tokyo rooms.

There are a few good reasons to overlook some of the problems with this hotel. One of the best features of the Miyako Inn & Spa is the complimentary DSL in every room and the added bonus of free wireless internet access for the Executive Rooms. The hotel also has a business center in the lobby with computers, printers, and a copy machines. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, being in a hotel in a safe area of downtown L.A. is a definite plus. The rooms have beautiful views of the financial district and the rooftops of Little Tokyo. The hotel is right across the street from the MOCA and the Chinese American Museum. Landmarks such as the Disney Concert Hall and L.A. Courthouse are also within walking distance.

Here is a list of some of the pros and cons for choosing to stay at the Miyako Inn & Spa.

PROS:
•Free in-room electronic safe that lets you create your own security code
•Free DSL in every room; Free wireless for Executive rooms
•Refrigerator & coffee maker in every room
•Room Service available until midnight
•24 hour valet service with in and out privileges
•Close to shopping, museums, restaurants
•Friendly Staff

CONS:
•Valet service is $15.40 a day
•Standard Rooms need a renovation
•Tourists check in by the bus load
•The hotel only serves Japanese food
•There is a fee for using the Business Center

Depending on your budget and preferences, the pros definitely out weigh the negative issues with the hotel. The Miyako Inn & Spa has an excellent location, great services, and a Japanese style that creates a wonderful experience for its guests.

Comments