Orbit Hostel

7950 Melrose Avenue West Hollywood, West Hollywood, California, 90046, United States

HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Avoid going into Orbit

Not so much that the accommodation wasn't up to scratch, it was more the lack lustre of the vibe that left me coldest. Intrigued by the Hollywood experience I expected more from this place especially as it came recommended by fellow travelers who may have been taken in by the concept of 'cost conquers above quality' I'm afraid to say that with experience, there are more exciting places to stay if you look, but none so much so that can offer that feeling that the inmates have just about taken over this asylum.
    I was a more than concerned to witness a British black woman who purported to be a staff member, berating an elderly traveler who had the temerity to stand-up for the more senior traveler in quite rightly correcting her ageist comments. Someone later told me that she may have been the comedy turn later that evening at the sister venue but, by now all I wanted to do was watch the antics of the LAPD removing a French woman from the premises.
    Never judge a book by it's cover! The name Banana Bungalow certainly conjours up a scene, but the pages become tarnished all too soon into the book and it's just too easy to return it to the shelf from whence it came.

Unique Quality: In all cases, its the staff of a place that set up the customers expectations. This one proved less Hostel than Hostile and no amount of good will by the managers free food policy will overcome this downfall.

Directions: To their credit, culture is there on the doorstep if the traveler takes a step or two away from the reality shows playing constantly on the TV screens. Silent Movies, Experimental theatre, Jewish food and Art are all within steps from the entrances.

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Orbit Hotel & Hostel

The orbit Hotel was a great place within walking distance to local Hollywood Shops and on the bus route to Hollywood and the Metro Line.

Unique Quality: From the Orbit Hotel you can walk to:

• World famous Melrose Avenue Shopping, food and beautiful people watching.
    • The real Sunset Strip nightlife and clubs.
    • The Beverly Center featuring the Hard Rock Cafe, movies and mall.
    • CBS Television Studios for free live T.V. shows and tour.
    • The Farmer's Market with it's amazing Hollywood history and great food.
    • World class original comedy at the Improv & Groundlings comedy clubs.
    • Elaborate exhibits at the La Brea Tar Pits and Los County Museum of Art.
    • Glamorous Beverly Hills with its movie star homes and Rodeo Drive Shopping.

• Decent digs for backpackers

We had a good time at the Orbit. We were out most of the days but there was plenty of room to sit in or outside and have a drink and a cheap feed from their kitchen. One night there was even standup comedians performing in the lounge. Some were very funny, but others were less than average. All with high aspirations no doubt for the future. Our room contained a double bed plus 2 single bunks. It was quite stuffy but and if you opened the window you were bound to hear plenty of sirens fly past. So not easy to get to sleep if your room was above the street. Split 3 ways, it was cheap though. They have dorm rooms that are even cheaper.

Unique Quality: I'd receommend this place based on price, location (10 mins walk to Farmers Market) and social interaction.

Directions: Melrose Ave, Hollywood

• sunshinejo's Profile Photo

Well Located Hostel in Hollywood

I stayed here for a couple of nights when I first arrived in the States. To be honest, it was OK but there was nothing particularly outstanding about the place. All the dorms were ensuite, sleep 6 and were clean with lockers to store any valuables in (own padlock required). They organise a whole host of tours and activities around LA, including city tours, trips to Universal Studios and Disney Land, as well as bar crawls etc in the evenings.

Unique Quality: There is a large communal area with comfy chairs, tv and pool table as well as a kitchen where they serve breakfasts and evening meals at an additional charge, a private courtyard and a streetside patio. Also available is internet access, laundry facilities, free luggage storage and a movie room.

Directions: On the corner of Melorse & Fairfax

• wassa_01's Profile Photo

Great Atmosphere ? Good People

Reading the other reviews on this place make it look like the worst hostel in the world. I however do not agree with many of the comments from the other people that have reviewed this place. I think some things must have changed since they stayed there. Some things are correct like the annoying office hours of 8am ? Midnight, it is a bit of a pain for the early check-in, but there is a night security manager on when the office is shut for any problems you might have. I loved the atmosphere of the place, there was a number of great tours and trips that are organised by the hostel and nightly activities such as comedy nights and pool competitions. They must have changed the rules on smoking, now they have dedicated smoking areas, the hostel did not smell like an ashtray. I would highly recommend this place to people traveling as it is in a great location to see most of LA and the people working in the hostel where great help you out with everything.

• pamychan's Profile Photo

Orbit Hostel

we had an ok experience with this place. overall the place was clean, the decor was hip and interesting and they have internet access at $1/hr. they have a kitchen where they sell meals but guests cannot use the kitchen other than the firdge and the microwave. the location is ok. there's a bus going down to hollywood boulevard where u can change other buses to go wherever u want to. and the bus also goes to the farmer's market in the opposite direction.

we did have a few problems though. we arrived extra early as our bus was early, abt 6am and found out that the place was locked and there was nobody in the office. there was nothing much to do around the hostel either so we had to sit at the roadside to wait for the office to open at 8.

the office girl was really not very friendly and quite fierce even. and we didnt even complain abt anything! guess she was just in a bad mood. but she was in that mood the whole 3days we were there though. there's a guy who helps with the luggage and cleaning around. he's nice.

when we got our room, we realised there's no aircon or any form of ventilation at all other than the window. the worse thing was that the main road was directly outside the window. we couldnt close the window as it was too hot and the traffic noise was so loud even at night.

another bad thing is they actually allow smoking in the entertainment rooms which were actually indoors and directly opposite our room. the smell spread all over the hostel and it lingers all day.

well, i guess we wont stay here if we ever come to LA again. i think we'll just pay a bit more to stay in a proper hotel next time. this hostel is not that cheap anyway.

More about Orbit Hostel

Funky budget accommodation

by TripAdvisor Member Surfiegal

We stayed in the Banana Bungalow (but if you are looking for it, it's still called the Orbit Hotel) for 4 nights whilst exploring Hollywood. It was located in a great area, very quiet, and very close to a local bus that could take you straight into downtown Hollywood. The hotel itself was funky and there was a lot of people staying there. It was quiet smokey though, both inside and out, and it was weird that you collect the linen yourself then go upstairs and make your bed. They have a fridge/mircowave/toaster etc to use downstairs, and a pool table and we even found a disco ball on an outside balcony. All in all, we had a group of 7 people, staying in an 8-bed dorm, so we werent disturbed at all. Internet in the hotel was $1 for 12 minutes. I would stay here again if i had a big group.

Something for everyone!

by TripAdvisor Member bouncysteph

My first trip to LA was when I was 18 so I didn't actually see much of LA apart from the inside of theme parks. My second trip to LA was slightly different - ten years older and I didnt have tunnel vision towards Disneyland (although I was tempted). I was in LA for four days (backpacking on to New Zealand)and stayed at the Orbit Hostel in West Hollywood. As with most backpacker accommodation the hostel itself was very basic but with all the amenities needed - ie kitchen, lounge, hot showers! and was only 15 minute walk to Rodeo Drive area. The hostel was well stocked with information relating to activities and things to do in LA - with discounts on most activities for backpackers which is always a bonus when travelling on a shoestring! My first day was spent just walking around LA - getting a feel for the city and checking out the discounted clothes! I decided to try and make the most of my four days so I booked myself onto a "moviestar homes" day bus tour which was fun - the guide was very knowledgeable - not so much on famous people but he knew every back alley and side street in LA to get through the traffic! I spent a day on Venice Beach just people watching and soaking in the atmosphere! LA is a good, allround holiday destination where you can take it easy or make it as action packed as you want! It can be easy on the pocket with great value restaurants/shopping or it can be heavy on the credit card with boutique designer stores aplenty! Fab city!

Stay away!!

Ok where do I begin? Well when my taxi pulled up outside The Orbit I had bad feelings straight away, it looked like a dump from the sidewalk. I was here myself so I thought I would get a private room. I checked in the staff were ok nothing special. The best thing about my room was that it had a big TV with cable, but the bathroom had bugs in it, the room faced the street so it was real noisy and the patio windows did not close right so at night I was so cold. Being a girl as well I thought the room wasn't that secure, I made a point of always locking my case when I went out. I managed to stay there for 2 nights (was supposed to have been there 7) I checked out and lost my money for the other 5 nights but I didn't care I just wanted out of there. The Orbit isn't even in that a great location and if you do come to LA you MUST rent a car, I didn't and think if I did maybe the trip would have been better. But for the money you pay for this hole you could get somewhere alot better, just watch out for the gunfire at night and bugs in the bathroom!!!

decent hostel, crappy "hotel"

by TripAdvisor Member sh204

I stayed at the Orbit from Aug 16-20 with my friend. I spotted this place on the net couple years ago and luckily had an advantage to check it out in May since I won a trip down to LA for a weekend.
The place was pretty nice for a hostel, but not so great to be called a hotel. Keep in mind I am just your average student with low expectations when it comes to hotels(but I hate to sleep where it's hot). Anyways, we took a look around the place in May and it was pretty hot even then so the air conditioning was a bit of a concern. They said it wasn't on and would be on in the summer... well what we felt that day WAS the AC and it got pretty hot during the day. It looked ok for $78, but definitely not as good as the pictures make it look. The location is great but facing Melrose can be VERY VERY loud at night and without the door/window open it would get pretty hot. They give you one towel and no soap or anything. They also said you weren't allowed to bring ANY food or drinks into the room which is stupid if you ask me but we went by the rules. However, we still got a crazy amount of ants in the bathroom all the time. The people seemed nice, but we didn't really hang out with anyone there since we weren't there enough. The food was okay for cheap but nothing i'd brag about.
For $20 more we stayed at the Days Inn on Hollywood Blvd for our last 4 nights and THAT felt like a real hotel. Even had a free continental breakfast AND a pool.
If you are looking for a hostel, this would be a great place. If you are looking for a cheap hotel, search around and book a couple months ahead and you can find something way way way nicer for practically the same price.

Experiences with Orbit Hotel

by marcel_naue

Hey folks,

we (2 persons) will be in LA end of dec and found this great-looking hostel called Orbit. www.orbithotel.com

Has anybody been there, because if I don´t get any negative answers, I´ll book right away. Looks very stylish. Or any other hostels you would recommend?

TIA

Marcel

by FabienneCA

Hi Marcel,

Have a look at

in the user reviews section, you will have all about this hostel

HTH

Fabienne

by joesorce

Not as stylish as it looks in the photos, not as clean either. Good place for young people looking for friends to party with.

Since there are two of you, might be the same price to get a room at the old Claremont Hotel in Westwood, near UCLA.

Both hotels are close to the bus.

I would choose the Orbit if you don't mind noisy and hectic, but the Claremont is in a quiet neighborhood yet a short walk to everything.

by cheap_tourist

The web site for Hostelling International (HI) USA hostels is at http://www.hiayh.org/. VTers often recommend the HI hostel in Santa Monica.

Comments