Orlando Hotel Los Angeles

8384 West Third Street (formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel), Los Angeles, California 90048, United States
The Orlando Hotel
Expedia.com BookIt.com Booking.com

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Orlando Hotel Los Angeles

Nice Small Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Klaye

Just returned from a week in LA with my older daughter. We were visiting my younger daughter at UCLA, and spent four days at the Orlando Hotel.

I was offered a very reasonable internet rate by calling the hotel. It included free breakfast (lovely fresh cold buffet plus made to order choice of eggs), as well as a 10 dollar taxi voucher everyday.
The room was very fresh and attractive, with extremely comfortable beds.

Bathroom towels were big and fluffy and the toiletries smelled great.
Even though the hotel was filled we did not hear a sound from other guests.

Pool was small, cold but refreshing, and private. Everytime we went we were the only people around. Same thing for the gym.

The valet parking is high, but everytime my daughter came to visit she was able to park on the street.

The staff was helpful. They printed directions out for a restaurant we wanted to drive to, and replaced a DVD player promptly when my daughter found it wasn't working.

The hotel is located within walking distance of lots of stores and restaurants, and a short taxi ride (use those vouchers) to The Farmers Market, The Grove and and the great Kantors Deli.

I could not give the hotel an excellent because on the day we arrived, over an hour after check in time, the room was not ready and we had to wait. While we did not have to wait very long, I think that your room should be ready if you arrive after 4pm.

Save yourself the trouble and Stay Away!!!!!!!!!!! Farrrrr Away!

by TripAdvisor Member Meggiebabe27

Never having been to Los Angeles in my life, I expected something quite different from the descriptions I received compared to what I actually found at the Orlando. The outside of the building looks like a dirty parking garage and is located near nothing of any interest, except for what looks like an area that should be in Watts, not 2 miles from Rodeo Drive. I was honestly scared to step outside of the hotel, for fear of the local area. The hotel description leads you to believe that it is within walking distance of several great attractions. Not even close. The staff was disinterested and rude when I asked about directions and the public transportation system. The man I spoke with seemed as though he could not care less. The entire hotel reeked of an odor somewhat like a dentist's office. Surprisingly, the rooms looked nice, despite the smell, until I opened the blinds to see that my room was facing a concrete block wall, shoddily covered with lattice. After an exhausting afternoon of disappointment, I thought a shower would make me feel better. Unfortunately, when I got out, I discovered the air conditioning wasn't working. When I attempted to turn it on, a puff of hot air combined with dust and mold spores blew out. I was so fed up, I moved to another hotel that night, and it was the best decision ever. If you don't care about a dirty, poor location, no air conditioning, mystery odors, and being treated like crap, I suppose it would be alright. If not, I would suggest staying in the fantastic Westin Century Plaza Hotel and Spa (where I moved to)...It's more expensive, but more than well worth it. Bottom line- the Orlando should barely be a 2-star hotel, and heed my warning- it will save you alot of unneccesary grief that you should never have in such a fantastic city.

Not very clean

by TripAdvisor Member ed110

The Orlando was located on the trendy section of 3rd Street. The building looks nondescript. The lobby is a bit dark with retro decor. Despite their claims of being a non-smoking hotel (there are signs posted in the elevator), we can smell traces of it on the 2nd floor. They may be non-smoking now but they probably never cleaned out the carpets or the air vents. If you have allergies, you might consider looking elsewhere. We had a room with double beds. The size and decor look mediocre. There are stains on the furniture as well as the bathrobe they let guests use. The bathroom is okay (looks similar to a Holiday Inn). There is no view from the window but we can hear the sounds coming from the pool & the hallway. The breakfast at La Terza was nice. The neighborhood is okay. There are several restaurants within walking distance. The Beverly Center is close by as well.

Who Needs a Big Hotel Ever Again?

by TripAdvisor Member Propinquity

On my business trips to LA, I've been trying out moderately priced boutique hotels. Tried to love The Crescent and failed, loved the Elan Modern. This time I went with The Orlando, which is the hotel that the ELAN refers people to when they're full.

I stayed there for a week at the end of July and then returned for another 3 days the following week. I was very happy here -- perhaps even more than the Elan because it has a pool, real room service (The Elan will go pick up food for you at the diner across the street) and the little shops on West Third Street across the street are some of the quirkiest and nicest in LA -- well known to insiders, but not so much to tourists.

You can walk out the door and shop and dine, walk a few blocks up to the Beverly Center or the LA Loehman's and never have to set foot in a car. (The Elan is walkable to these places, too, but they're not directly across the street like they are at the Orlando).

I booked a Junior Suite and asked for a quiet room. -- they put me on the 5th floor facing Orlando Street, rather than the busier West Third. No complaints -- it was very quiet.

Junior Suite appears to mean you have a couch next to your bed and you pay about 20-30 $ more. But the Orlando has lots of discount sales and you can find other sites that offer the discounts there as well.

Room service was fast and the food excellent . . .although it's a very small menu . . .and lots of fancy dishes (do you really crave rabbit for dinner?), when sometimes you want something plain and simple. But since Room Service comes from the restaurant La Terza in the hotel, plain and simple isn't the name of the game. You're talking fine dining.

But there are lovely restaurants right outside the door -- including ethnic ones. . .you can even walk up a block to "Joan's on Third," and get fabulous upscale take-out, bring it back to your room and stash the left-overs in your mini-bar.

The pool is small, but an amazing perk. And you can lounge around on the deck. There's a small work-out room.

Internet service is $8.95 per day. No wireless, but it's fast DSL.

Taxis are often waiting outside if you need one, otherwise they call one and it only takes a few minutes for one to arrive. The Olrando gives you a $10.00 booklet of vouchers, good for $1.00 off on each individual taxi ride you take. You also get certificates for free continental breakfast in La Terza, but I never tried it.

My only complaint was that, despite repeated requests, there was no Hotel Information book or packet in the room and I constantly had to ask the Front Desk about the most mundane things -- like how much will I be billed for a local phone call, how much is the internet, etc. etc. What floor is the pool on?
Do you have Room Service?

If I hadn't been told there was a pool or about the $10 taxi voucher by someone else, I never would have known about them. It was very annoying and took away from the relaxed feel of the place.

If you like small hotels and you want to be in the West LA area, I vote for the The Orlando. Or the Elan Modern. You can't go wrong with either.

Best Bargain for the Dollar

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoSpy

I stumbled on to the Orlando based on the price and TRIP ADVISOR's comments. The hotel's location was the best - it is 2 blocks away from the Beverly Center and Loehmann's plus the Farmer's Market/The Grove is about 5 blocks away too. In between the hotel and Farmer's Market there are so many great star watching restaurants (IE: Joan's on 3rd - Kirsten Dunst has been spotted there; Toast - the bakery is soooo good!) plus cool boutiques (IE: Trina Turk, SCOUT, Mitchell Gold Furniture ... the list continues).

As for the hotel itself - the staff was very accommodating and friendly; the free breakfast was delicious (don't even think about comparing breakfast to EMBASSY SUITES - a million times better!). The room was roomy and comfortable but the bathroom was dank and needed some extra extra cleaning (I noticed mildew in a corner). Given the location of the hotel, the wonderful staff, the delicious breakfast, roomy accomodations, and chocolate on your pillow - I was willing to overlook the not so clean bathroom and the really small exercise room. I highly recommend ORLANDO!!

A good price at a great location

The Orlando was a good bargain. We stayed there for 3 days in the first half of August 2005. Our rate of $189.00 per night included a lovely daily breakfast at "la Terza." In addition to fresh fruit, cheeses, banana and zuchinni breads our breakfast included granola (it was the bomb!), eggs (any style but poached and soft boiled) and bacon. If you are on the go you can take a "to go" package with you. If you are a foodie or a shopper then the other great thing about the hotel is its location. It is two blocks from the Beverly Center and 6 blocks from the Grove and the Farmers Market. In addition, there are lots of fun boutiques and restaurants on Third Street in the vicinity of the hotel. The common areas are fresh, airy and kind of funky. Our room was spacious and comfy. Fluffy white robes, slippers and towels are also in abundance. The bathroom wasn't great--we noticed some mildew on the ceilings in the corners. But that is my only complaint. If you are on a budget, stay here!

Orlando good value for the $$$

by TripAdvisor Member MargaretChicagoIL

Was in LA on business and booked four nights at the Orlando. Very good location--about as central as you can get given that LA is such a sprawl. Another plus for the business traveller is that the hi-speed internet access in the room worked very well--better in fact that hi-speed in some far more expensive places.

Staff was friendly and helpful. My room was very clean.

During my stay there were always large European tour groups staying. Not a problem except that the housekeeping staff, by the end of the week, were totally overtaxed. They had started the cleaning process in my room [bathroom cleaned & room vacuumed--good things] but must have gotten interrupted because the bed never got made!

Also the TV in my room never worked; mentioned this to the front desk and problem wasn't fixed during my stay. Finally, the room has been nicely re-decorated but the furniture hasn't worn well (stuck drawers, closet door off track--you get the pix).

Would I stay here again--yes. To me a clean, safe, quiet place, working hi-speed & a good location trumps such minor inconvenience as a non-working TV.

Orlando is Recommended !

by TripAdvisor Member LasVegasTravelers

The Orlando is extremely clean and will remind travelers of a European hotel- small lobby, small restaurant... things that don't really matter if one is basically looking for nice lodging with a convenient location (Beverly Hills, LACMA, etc.). Labeling it a boutique hotel is a good description. An easy half block walk to the Beverly Center and numerous sidewalk cafes. We were able to check in early, and they kindly held our luggage at the front desk when we checked out on the last day but wanted to squeeze in more neighborhood sight-seeing. The bed was comfortable and one of the "newer" mattresses -the other person can turn over without the bed moving. Bedside reading lights are actually bright enough to read by.

Small is good

Stayed at the Orlando for two nights recently on way back to Sydney Aus. Found the hotel small intimate and friendly. Very pleased, much preferred to the big faceless hotel I'm used to....

Great value for the $$$$

We stayed at the Orlando for 4 nights in September and found the staff very helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble - the staff booked tours for us, rented us a car, and were very attentive.

On the down side, the rooms are quite small, and the pool is tiny, but the retaurant is great, and the breakfast is very good. The position of the hotel is great, right down the road (10 min walk) from the Grove, Farmer's Market.

Although we (2 adults and 3 children) we a bit squashed in the room, it was a great deal and we were unable to match it anywhere else. I would stay here again (but next time I would get 2 rooms if travelling with the kids).

Comments