9882 South Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, California, 90212, United States

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• joannago's Profile Photo

Deluxe Hotel

Unique Quality: The only hotel in southern California to earn the distinction of an AAA Five-Diamond and Mobil Five-Star rating for 14 consecutive years, The Peninsula Beverly Hills is designed to resemble a gracious private residence, offering 193 elegantly appointed guest rooms, including 36 suites and 16 private villas, nestled amid lush, tropical gardens. All guest rooms are decorated with sumptuous antiques and artwork and have luxurious marble bathrooms, all with separate shower and oversized bathtub. Each of the hotel's guest rooms and suites is equipped with a state-of-the-art electronic system that allows hotel guests to control their environment with the touch of a fingertip.

The Belvedere restaurant at The Peninsula Beverly Hills offers modern American cuisine in an elegant and sophisticated atmosphere. Legendary Peninsula Afternoon Tea is served daily in The Living Room, and casual, alfresco dining is available at The Roof Garden. The hotel's Club Bar features nightly live entertainment in a distinguished, club-style environment.

The Peninsula Beverly Hills offers a full array of health and fitness facilities at The Peninsula Spa, a rooftop garden oasis that offers an array of innovative treatments to relax the body and soothe the soul. Adjacent to the spa is a 60-foot lap pool, bordered by ten private cabanas. The Fitness Center offers the latest in high-tech exercise equipment and personal training services, and hair services are available at The Peninsula Salon.

_____________________________________________________

The Peninsula Beverly Hills is under a medium size category hotel. It is also a five-star hotel based on the description or the given information. The Peninsula Beverly Hills is classified as a International Chain Hotel for there are many establishment in other countries.

Directions: Intersection of Wilshire and South Santa Monica Boulevards

More about The Peninsula Beverly Hills

Never Understood the Fuss about the Peninsula

I stay at The Peninsula Beverly Hills once or twice a month to visit a client right across the street who insists that I stay there for proximity.

The hotel provides excellent service and the new spa they just re-opened last week is beautiful and probably now ranks as the best hotel spa in Beverly Hills (pending completion of the one they're building at the Beverly Wilshire).

However, I never understood the fuss everyone makes about this hotel, especially with regard to the rooms. The rooms are clean and functional, but are definitely in need of an update. The 30-inch LCD screen is a nice touch, but at this point in modern times it should be at least a 42-inch Plasma screen and should be attached to the wall, not to an outdated armoire.

The carpets are showing their age (especially in the hallways--they're quite dirty if you look closely) and if you take the trouble to pull apart all of the layers of sheets and duvets and go down into the guts of the mattress itself, you will find a label that indicates that this hotel's mattresses were manufactured in 1999 -- not at all acceptable for this class of hotel in the days of the Westin Heavenly Bed and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. The linens at the Peninsula are amazingly beautiful and comfortable, so if they would just buy new pillowtop mattresses comparable to the new Starwood mattresses, they would definitely have the most comfortable beds in the world. Even the Beverly Hilton across the street (and not the same class of hotel) has brand new mattresses and a linen combination that compete with the beds at The Peninsula.

At this point in 2005 there should be a small flat-screen in the bathroom, and not just the speakers they have which pick up the sound from the TV in the bedroom.

The promotional video about the hotel they show on the television has a copyright date of 1996 (I was wondering about the hairstyles of the actors until I saw the year of the video at the end) and the hotel rooms really haven't been updated at all (except for the new televisions) since that date.

Their food is excellent, and the service is generally excellent. However, it is no better than the service at other hotels in the same class in Beverly Hills -- The Beverly Hills Hotel, the Bel-Air Hotel, Raffles L'Ermitage, perhaps the Four Seasons (although not technically in Beverly Hills). I am not including the Beverly Wilshire in this comparison because everyone knows their rooms and hallways are disgusting right now and they are, at least, in the process of renovating them--something the Peninsula might think of doing.

The entry-level room rates at the other hotels mentioned is $100-$200 per night lower than at The Peninsula, and until The Peninsula updates its rooms and mattresses, in my own humble opinion, I just don't think the Peninsula is any better than the other hotels in the same class to merit the higher price.

This is just my own opinion, and of course there will be people who disagree with me. That's what makes the world go ┬┤round. However, I do state certain facts which cannot be disputed (such as the fact that the mattresses are nearly seven years old) of which the hotel's management should take note because they are not acceptable in this class of hotel.

Ridiculously expensive, but amazing service

by TripAdvisor Member tmunar

I completely agree with the previous review. This hotel is incredibly expensive, but very nice with outstanding service that you won't get elsewhere.

My husband and I splurged big-time and stayed in a garden suite for one night for a quick getaway for our 10 year anniversary. I'd orignally booked a villa suite because it had a fireplace, but we got "upgraded" to what was a slightly more expensive suite because there weren't any villa suites available. The suite was large with two small patios. However it didn't have a fireplace like I was expecting.

When I called the front desk to point out that we were in the wrong type of suite they said they would speak to the manager to see what they could do. Within five minutes they called back to say they would reduce our nightly rate to the regular room rate which shaved $300 off our stay. They said they did this because it was our 10 year anniversary and because it was our first time staying there they didn't want to leave us with a bad impression.

The entire staff is incredibly nice and not a bit snooty. Like the previous reviewer was saying, they do everything to stay out of your way to allow privacy, but jump to it the minute you call for anything. One example--my husband left his jacket in our car and within minutes they retrieved it and brought it to our room.

I booked our room online at their website which asks if it's a special occasion and if you have any special requests. I noted that we were staying for our 10 year anniversary and that I'd like them to make our stay special. When we arrived in our room there were chocolate-dipped "tuxedo" strawberries and Perrier Jouet on ice waiting for us. They also gave us a silver picture frame as a gift along with a hand-written card from the manager.

I guess you could say the beauty is in the details at this hotel. The furnishings are elegant but understated and the bed is probably the best I've ever slept in at a hotel. Where else are you going to get a pretty little lavendar aromatherapy candle and bath salts in your bathtub caddy?

Bottom line, you are paying for exceptional service, attention to detail and a ritzy location. If those things are important to you and price is no object then you will probably enjoy this hotel.

Service is Outstanding

I have just found Trip Advisor -- thus I am trying to make up for lost time.

In short, my stay at The Peninsula was amazing. Service was superb.

First, I love their 24-hour check-in/check-out policy. In other words, if you check in at 6:00 p.m. on Friday for "one night," you are allowed to stay in the room until 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. I've never heard of any other hotel in America offering such a policy, and - for me - it made my stay much more enjoyable.

The food was very good.

Enjoyed the rooftop pool.

At check-out, my bar tab from the pool (about an hour before) had not yet been entered into the computer system. I pointed out that it was missing, and the check-out clerk tried to track it down. I waited patiently for about five minutes...then I said something about having waited long enough. She said, "You're right, Mr. Berry. Consider the bar tab taken care of." Now THAT is what I call 5-star service!

My only complaint about the hotel is that I could hear quite a lot of hallway noise in my room. Perhaps they have done something to address this concern since my last visit.

is there such a thing as 7 star?

by TripAdvisor Member ninakaro

It was just wonderful... yes, the price is high but you get what you paid for and you get MUCH MORE. It was beautiful, the staff were wonderful and they treated us like celebrities and royalties. do I need to mention their spa? WOW, it was great. you should try them and I'm sure you don't want to stay anywhere else next time.

Nice, but needs a remodel of most of the rooms and baths

by TripAdvisor Member IndianSummer67

Really, this place is well-situated, despite the busy street. The rooms and baths just need to be replaced, especially the carpeting in all the rooms and hallways. The staff is truly helpful and there when you need them. I think the food is quite good, too. Los Angeles is a dirty city and despite all the efforts at cleaning, the floors are not clean, the tile is cracking even in the expensive suites (where I stayed). It's difficult to get things to SMELL clean after this many years. I think some rooms were redone in 2000, that was 6 years ago. The walls and drapes are okay, sort of faux-French with soothing yellow colors and some rooms are definitely better than others.

Just Aweful

Stuffy, outdated design with snotty, obnoxious service. With all the great hotels in Beverly Hills (Beverly Hills Hotel, L'Hermitage, or even charming boutique Avalon, for example), why put up with it?

Beautiful hotel with exceptional service.

I visited the Peninsula Hotel last month with my teenage daughter. We were in Los Angeles to visit colleges and look for a prom dress. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful, especially the concierge James Little and his wonderful staff who found us a great driver and made last minute reservations at Crustacean and Debra Shinn the Room Divisions Manager who greeted us personally on arrival and helped us map out the prom dress hunt. My daughter was very impressed with the beautiful room and the great (and fast) room service. We met friends for afternoon tea and champagne and collectively decided that my daughter should go to college in Los Angeles, so I can visit her and stay at the Peninsula again.

Terrific recipe .. needs just a pinch of salt

by TripAdvisor Member CaymanGurl

We stayed in the Peninsula-Suite for twelve nights.. It is a large 2 bedroom suite with a massive patio on the third floor with an adjoining room for the kids.

We will definitely return to this suite.

This space is a charming island of tranquility and refinement in the flats of Beverly Hills. It is easy walking distance to the best restaurants and shopping, yet far enough away from the tourist action at Wilshire and Rodeo to make you feel more like a resident than a visitor. A friend of mine has lived in a mansion behind the Beverly Hills Hotel for years and was floored by the caliber of the hotel.. and our suite.. He came over for wine and after returning home, began Googling the hotel's decorator to explore working on his place.

The Peninsula suite is like a comfortable guest house, not a hotel suite. But it is correctly laid out as a hotel suite should be. We were not in want of a material thing during this stay.. It was an elegantly sublime experience.

Teriffic food (as it was last year) with non traditional gourmet comfort foods and large satisfying portions. Sweet smells of lilac wafting through the common areas and guest corridors. Piano music filtering up from the Living Room. Warm luxe fabrics, antique furnishing reproductions in suite and in the common areas. We loved the little touches. Petit fours with room service, fresh soap every day after a single use or even a loosening of the cap.. ultra fine fabrics, linens, glasses and dishes. Housekeeping/Maintenance does a sensational job caring for the property, before it is needed.

Service at the front door leaves room for improvement this year.. We were staying in the most expensive suite in the hotel for nearly 2 weeks straight and nobody in the parking area (except for Louis) ever acknowledged us by name. They continously asked for our "ticket number" when we called for our car.. the same lady on the phone, grinding for "the ticket number" every morning..

We are a couple with children, not expecting to to be stroked and molicoddled, however when you are paying a significant sum to stay, you expect to be greeted by name and have them "know" what you are driving. When we returned to the hotel after a day out, we could see the look on the faces of the attendants.. it was as if we were inconveniencing them. This might be acceptable when you get a simple room in the hotel at half-price through expedia -- maybe... But its not acceptable when you are paying $5,000.00 dollars a night. We always had a ten dollar bill in our pocket for the parking valets but they were so inattentive as we walked out the front door in the AM that we couldn't stomach giving it to them.. well, maybe once we gave them a five.

Our only gripe in-room was the cork screw.. They supply a complimentary corkscrew for opening wine in-suite.. This was the cheapest corkscrew money could buy.. It did not even have a knife blade for removing the capping foil. We were drinking $300 dollar a bottle wine and poking and clawing at the capping foil with the pointy tip of the corkscrew. That got lame, lame, lame after the fourth or fifth bottle.

As they say in Beverly Hills.. "the town is always the same, only the names on the mailbox change". We look forward to a two week return in 6 months time, a better corkscrew and some some new faces in the parking dept.

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member 310020

This was the ultimate guest experience. The room was beautiful, exceptionally clean and quiet. The staff was top notch. The only place to stay in Beverly Hills!

Comments