The Standard

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 82% more and rated 17% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• Nevo's Profile Photo

The Standard meets my standards

Stayed here for one night for a bachelor's party. rooms were simple and modern. The room had a built-in desk along the wall with windows, a great bathroom and clean surroundings. Some rooms have a bathtub in the middle of the bedroom area.We mostly came for the rooftop bar is absolutely amazing. It can be a bit of a scene and hard to get in, but it's definitely worth a drop-in. The views are insane. Drinks are a bit pricey but worth it for the overall LA atmosphere.The restaurant has a small menu, but varied - lamb, salmon, hamburgers. The food is good enough wherein you may stop in just for the restaurant. Also, room service is quick.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting LA because the location is pretty centralized and a short drive to everything.

• Cupio1's Profile Photo

The Standard on Sunset

This is an interesting hotel, but not one you want to stay at if you are traveling for business. My room was huge, but not very comfortable and the bathrooms are bright orange (not in a cool retro way though). All in all, it's really for the partying, stay-up-all-night, stumble into work the next morning crowd.
    Had I been staying there for leisure, then maybe I would have enjoyed it. I hear that the Standard Downtown is a much better hotel.

Directions: West Hollywood

• Measures up to My Standards

Great hotel, cool vibe. They've got a room to fit your needs from very small to very big. Plus the rooftop bar is probably the hotel's best feature.

Unique Quality: Rooftop pool, rooftop bar. Lounge singers in the lobby after 8 PM.

Directions: Downtown

• zizquark's Profile Photo

Hipster Hotel-Carrie Bradshaw stayed here

2 fun nights in a hipster joint on the strip. 2 doors down from the strip club with some of the best breast in town

Unique Quality: Funky pool for hanging out and drinking. Live model in a fish tank all night long (no water).

Cool barber shop in lobby with cheap haircuts make it worth the trip.

More about The Standard

Chilled Out at The Standard; West Hollywood.

Stay at The Standard because you need a room in which to crash after a great, late night of partying on the strip. The lounge, cafe, and lobby will definitely give you plenty of reasons to stay up late.

The rooms aren't meant to be cooped-up in, but they aren't uncomfortable. The hotel gives you a bathroom, a platform bed, cable TV, high-speed internet connection, and a great view - I recommend the rooms facing south. The minibar is well stocked with a variety of miniature bottles of liquor, juices, soda and water.

The lobbyis almost always filled with people. At night, the DJ spins great downtempo. The furniture is very comfortable. I almost fell asleep listening to the music. But that could have been due to all the beer I drank earlier.

The pool area is awesome. The blue astroturf makes it look like no other hotel pool that I've seen. Rooms overlooking the pool get a great view of all the hotties laying out in the sun. Unfortunately, my room didn't overlook the pool.

The bar/restaurant is open 24 hours. But it isn't cheap. I got carried away on my first night and spent seventy-three bucks. Another night, I spent nineteen on two bottles of Heineken.

Next time I'm in Hollywood, I'll be staying at The Standard.

Stop ordering room service!

Stayed at the Standard for two separate sessions over the last 3 weeks.
I'm European and don't rely on an hotel to feed bathe and clothe me.
All of the reviews that talk about the restaurant and the staff needed to walk out the door and enterain themselves. The lack of a fitness centre was the only pain in the neck for me. However walking the strip was enough exercise. I found the staff helpful to the point of sycophancy. The lobby was a laugh with the girl in the glass box looking bored. The pool was ridiculous. LA in December is not warm but the idea of dipping my pale porpoise-like body into it was absurd. The Standard is a great hotel. The bulbs in the lights are never working (I stayed in three different rooms), the water is slow to heat up and the room service is (probably) lousy. Nevertheless we stayed for 4 nights and then came back and did another 4. I even switched rooms from the pool-side to the Strip side. Noisey by hell it was worth it. You might try Katana's sushi resturant about 100 yards from the door. The night we were there the food was magnificent. I sta beside Pauli Shore, Arsenio Hall was sitting at a table and the big guy from the WWF or whatever it's called was stuffing his face.If you want to live a little and remember LA stay at the Standard. The rooms are great, the staff are helpful and the purchase of earplugs will set you back 50 cents. By the way I love this site but would you please stop moaning? Complain at the time. It works wonders

I am heated !

At this very moment the Standard is on my sh*$ list and I didn't even stay there! The problem occurred when I made a reservation for my birthday on Jan 10, 2004. I called a week or so before Christmas thinking that is done there will be no problem since I would be out of town for the better part of the New Year!

Little did I know, that even though I called and canceled, plenty of time before the alloted cancellation period, I found charges on my checking account totaling $513.00. When I called to inquire as to what happened, I was told that there was no record of me or my reservation in the system-and that they would "call me back"....needless to say, I am still waiting for the call back. Although, the charges were made yesterday, I am still heated and irate about the situation. The person that was helping me, even had the nerve to say "Happy Birthday"....how is that for hell!

all style-no substance

The hotel sounded good on the website-but, oh, all style, no substance.
It had that feel of staff too young to care and the reception far from being cool sometimes just felt like a student common room. I'm all for staying up late but expect to find peace when I need it-sadly the experiences of the room insulation did not provide this! With it's youth hostel grade bathroom and no ventilation option other than open the door onto the busy road balcony this added further to it. Nice curtains though.

D.T./L.A. Gay Friendly?

by athena10x

Coming to town for the L.A. Gift show this week July 18-20th. Will be staying at the D.T. Standard Hotel. I know the upstairs bar is very hip but I'd like to know if there are any gay friendly hang-outs Downtown close?
I'm a gay friendly girl from the northwest but not gay myself.
I'd rather find out the information here because I find that virtual tourists are the best for giving direct information.
I'd like a place where the boys are friendly, hot and fun.
thanks.

Re: D.T./L.A. Gay Friendly?

by gilescorey

Friday the 18th is a weekly party, "***s & Giggles" at Club 740(740 Broadway, enter through back alley and make sure you go to the correct door - downstairs is a straight venue).

It used to be a little bit cooler, but it's still one of the best nights of the week. The cover is either five or seven bucks. There are absolut vodka specials for five bucks, too, but you have to remind the bartenders, every time.

Drag performances and live performances at midnight. More of an artsy crowd vs. the westside muscle queens. DJ Victor Rodriguez spins. He's kinda famous.

I usually go every Friday, but not sure about this week.

S&G is the only actual regular "gay" party I know of Downtown during the weekend.

You'll find Pete's Cafe at 4th and Main as very mixed/local loft dwellers. Basically a pub. Across the street on 4th is Bar 107 which is a kitschy, white trash, hipster bar with giant cans of Pabst. Mixed as well, and not as overrun by weekenders as some of the other bars get.

Hope this helps!