W Hollywood Hotel & Residences

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

6250 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90028, United States
W Hollywood
Booking.com Orbitz.com WHotels.com

Costs 83% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about W Hollywood Hotel & Residences

Cool and fun but not quite ready for prime time

by TripAdvisor Member flyerdc

Obviously one of the new cool places in L.A., full of beautiful people until late at night. But there are some drawbacks -- most notably, the hotel is not fully open. Most importantly, the much-publicized pool is not ready, a big drawback considering the lack of other daytime entertainment in a very transitional neighborhood. (Shouldn't the website warn travelers about the pool situation?) The neighborhood will be a problem for famlies or the fragile. Lots of nightclubs and bars. Few restaurants or shops. There is no place for a cup of coffee in the neighborhood or in the hotel before 7 a.m. on a weekend, except room service. The rooms are nice -- W's shabby but chic style -- but surprisingly dark. And the window shades do not fully block out light, so the morning sun gets through. The staff is very friendly, a credit to the hotel.

Everything Hollywood Should Aspire to Be.....

by TripAdvisor Member starbuxdol

I was gifted this reservation and traveled with friends to celebrate the culmination of my law school application process. Predicated upon a letter of interduction written on my behalf, we were graciously accorded a Marvelous Suite on the 2nd Floor. Suites, to my understanding, are located - by design - on floors 2-5. While the view was not "Hollywood", the space was amazing and very well lit. The front desk staff was most accommodating and gracious - as was the valet service. While we did not dine at the hotel, the public areas were both engaging and gorgeous. Since the pool was not yet operational, we were graciously offered privileges at the Roosevelt Hotel pool - both in very close proimity and an incredible property itself

All room amenities were high-end and the bed was a dream. Very quiet when we eventually turned in.

Since this property is so new, kudos are due to the General Manager in particular and the staff in general for extending the ultimate effort for a seamless opening. Can't wait to return!!

Great weekend getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Lovedaddy

My family stayed here this weekend (two adults, three kids under 5). The hotel is new and in pristine condition. The suite we stayed in had huge flat screens that the kids really enjoyed. The service was friendly and fast, and very helpful.

The hotel is located in the center of Hollywood, above the subway, and right across the street from the Pantages Theatre. You can walk to the local farmer's market on Sunday. The hotel is also walking distance from Hollywood night clubs, and the lobby bar in the hotel is a scene. Because of this, it can be loud in the room so be aware of that when you chose your room location. Overall, It was a great weekend get away.

Finally a big city hotel in Hollywood!

by TripAdvisor Member kms84

We are Los Angelinos, but love to explore new parts of the city and stayed the night at the new W Hollywood Hotel to celebrate Valentines day this year. Hollywood is certainly not new territory, but the W hotel brings something fast and fashionable to the boulevard. The decor is fun and sleek and the views are amazing- think eye level with the Capitol Records and the Hollywood sign! This is a view I haven't seen in the 25 years I've lived here! The lobby/lounge had nice energy and seemed to have already claimed its spot in the Hollywood nightlife. We a had a cocktail there and were able to enjoy both a lively bustle and impeccable service (things you usually trade off in Hollywood establishments). The staff genuinely seemed to enjoy their work. And as anyone whose worked in the service industry will know, this is a special extra something that cannot be measured. The hotel also has beautiful facilities, gym, spa, etc. and is wired for professionals. I spent the following day before checkout working from our room and found surprisingly quiet. Overall a very pleasant work and play environment.

I will definitely be returning and will absolutely recommending it to my friends when they come to town. Being right next the new metro stop also means that they will feel right at home, while enjoying the best of Hollywood!

DOA - Tacky, Loud, Bad Service and still under construction

by TripAdvisor Member CDUB212121

Hotel Review
When I used to think of the W brand I thought of young fresh and trendy. The lobby of the new w is the opposite of the three. There is no clear styling to it, and was definitely created by a committee and not by a visionary. It just comes off very stale and dated. Check in was standard, but the valet took too long and room service was a disaster (see below) The rooms are very plush but they are 4 feet too thin and you feel claustrophobic in them. The gym is the only bright spot in the hotel. It is huge and cutting edge.
Our Personal Hotel Nightmare
Everyday while we were there the hotel was under construction. We had no advance notice that they would be using drills and hammers all day long during our stay while my wife was under going intense out patient medical treatment. The night before my wife's major surgery we came home to a note on our door that basically said sorry we are throwing a huge party in the hotel, but you can join.
It might have been nice to know that there was going to be a party so loud that we could not go to sleep until 2am in advance, because we would have stayed at a real hotel were quests can sleep at night. The hotel offered for us to change rooms but it was too much of an ordeal with the surgery the next day to move all our stuff right as we were "trying to go to bed". Before we went to sleep we placed a breakfast card on our door for 6 to 615 but wrote that we needed it closer to 6. Because of the surgery that day my wife could not eat anything one second after 615. The food had not come be 610 so i called, at 620 I canceled the order. Her condition causes her debilitating heartburn if she does not eat in the morning in addition to not being able to eat a meal until 7 pm that day. Such a nightmare.
Bottom line - the hotel got greedy and opened before it was ready and its guests suffered. Hopefully time will make the quality of the stay get better but they are going to have to a major renovation before the hotel has a chance to be what the W once was.

Attitude Attitude No Service but Attitude

by TripAdvisor Member amennyc

If you want a lesson on attitude and "what can you do for me" then stay here. The staff is more concerned with a casting and could care less about service. Find it a bit of a joke that a hotel in LA can have 5 star service. This is no different. Nice hotel if the staff was trained to be in the service industry. Staff at this hotel is costing the hotel revenue, as they are to indifferent to even ask if you "need anything" else or sell up food-beverage- or anything else. Attitude is they are upset that you are staying there and not them. It's ok.... there's a MCDonald's commercial around the corner waiting to hire you.

Mixing Business With Pleasure

by TripAdvisor Member 88irvin

I decided to venture out from downtown and try this new W in Hollywood. It was an awesome experience. We received first class treatment from the staff. The rooms are new and well done with every amenity. And we even bumped into Magic Johnson in the bar living room area. To top it off, we had an amazing dinner next door at katsuya where we recieved preferential treatment as W guests. I have a lot of business downtown, but will never stay downtown again! It is certainly worth the short drive.

extremely noisy

by TripAdvisor Member trucker64

This is a beautiful building but if you want to get any sleep, stay elsewhere! We were on the 8th floor and could hear the music from a party on the main floor well into the night. On the second night people were yelling back and forth in the halls in the middle of the night.
This was on a Wed. and Thurs. night. I heard other guests complaining. If you want to party, this is the place for you! I found the hotels in Vegas to be much quieter.

On it's way to being the hottest hotel in North America!

by TripAdvisor Member HollywoodMB

First off, I'd like to say that if you normally stay at a Fairmont or Marriott property for the bland and typical stay, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT W HOTELS! It's obvious it's not for you and most likley knew that going in. The W brand is not about catering to family's or senior citizens. Not to say that it is incapable of doing so, but if you find the sights and sounds of W Hotels to be "tacky", loud or full of attitude, perhaps the first indication would be the types of bars and nightclubs attached to most W properties. It is not made for the "Over 40 Club".

The W Hollywood is an amazing new property that boasts a great mix of that warm contemporary feel, attention to detail and the most friendliness I have ever experienced at a hotel. The "Wonderful"/Traditional rooms are somewhat small but not crowded and you still manage to feel that you have more than enough space. The rooms are great but at the end of the day, how much time are you going to spend in it when you have the rest of this amazing hotel and Hollywood at your finger-tips?

"The Livingroom" is the main hotel bar located directly in the front lobby. In all of my travels, I have never experienced a more energetic and electric feel to a hotel bar. Vegas, Atlantic City, New York included, I have never seen a more happening hotel at night. I can only imagine what it will be like when Drai's Nightclub opens on the rooftop! A bartender by the name of Gio at "The Livingroom" also happens to be the luckiest and hardest working man in Hollywood. Only he knows what I mean by that!

The valet and front desk people will do anything for you and always carry a smile and greet you as you walk in out of the hotel.

As somebody who works in the hotel business, I'd say the W Hollywood is 98% there and seeing as they are barely a month old, that's a great place to be, in my opinion.

If you want to experience the very best of Hollywood and West Los Angeles with that special "Hollywood" flare, stay at this property. You won't regret it!

I would definitely stay there again

by TripAdvisor Member H3Y

I stayed at this hotel March 11-14, alone, while visiting friends in LA. I had found a great deal online, rooms starting at $165. I booked an interior room at $185 but got a free upgrade to the 7th floor, exterior room. The room was large, really nice, obviously new, well lit, with a king bed, a large desk, big HD TV, a comfy chair, and a large windowseat. The décor is great. The bathroom was also large and very nice – not a see-through shower, by the way. The only problem was the paper-thin walls, I could hear everything going on in the hallways, room next door, downstairs, etc. As a result I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who has to go to sleep early or wake up early – but if that’s what you want, there is no point staying at this hotel! This hotel has a crazy, fun nighttime scene (some nights). We didn’t eat in the hotel so I can’t comment on that. The fact that it straddles a subway station didn’t matter, since if you are in LA then you probably have a car, which means you are driving up to the nice back door, where the valet is, and you never even notice the subway station. The valet was well staffed but a bit slow, maybe because it’s so busy, or because they are still working out the kinks. The hotel staff was friendly and nice, but at night, when the lobby turns into a nightclub, they were a bit over-excited and doorman/bouncer-ish. On the Thursday night, when it was really packed, they actually wouldn’t let me go up to my room for at least 15 minutes (they wouldn’t let us near the elevators). I didn’t mind, because it was so fun people-watching in the packed lobby (sitting next to Chuck Liddell, randomly), but it could have been a MAJOR problem. One night when I wanted to take the guest elevators up to the bar/pool, they wouldn’t let us get out on that floor: they said if we wanted to go to the bar we had to go back down and wait outside with the non-hotel-guests, which seemed wrong to me. Also, I pushed the “Whenever/Wherever” button on the phone in the room a few times, and it rang and rang but nobody answered. There was supposedly free wi-fi in the lobby, but I couldn't connect to it. For the price I paid, and the room being so nice, and the convenient location, and the fun scene, I would definitely stay there again – it was a ridiculously good deal and so fun. By the way, when you call the front desk and they say “What is your wish?”, or when you come into the hotel and the doorman lets you past the crowd by the velvet ropes and says “Welcome home”, I defy you to keep a straight face.

Comments