14685 Warren Street, I-5/Golden State Highway at S

An Army of Oil PumpsAn Army of Oil Pumps

Travel Tips for Lost Hills

Lost Hills, Black Gold

by SteveOSF

What’s a road trip without the road? During our California and Nevada road trip in April of 2007, we naturally spent a fair deal of time on the road. Lost Hills was one of the sights along the way. Lost Hills is located on Highway 46 between Paso Robles and Bakersfield, near the junction with Highway 5. The high concentration of oil wells within such a short distance from each other contrasts with the primarily agricultural regions along the road. I think the hills were indeed lost here, as the terrain seemed fairly flat.

We passed by Lost Hills shortly before passing by Bakersfield on one of the longest driving legs of our trip, which included traveling along Highways 1, 46, 101, and 178. We even had a brief encounter with Highway 41 after missing the turnoff to Highway 46. Oops, that will happen on a road trip. This leg started in the morning at San Simeon, where we had visited Heart Castle during the previous day, and ended in Ridgecrest, where we spent the night on our way to Death Valley. We took time for a brief stop at Lake Isabella along our way.

Comments