22752 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, California, 90265, United States

More about Casa Malibu Inn on the Beach

Mean and RuDE

I callled the hotlel and the person answered with an attitude and was rude to me . He was not friendlyand was a real piece of work. When I asked him about a room and the date he immediatly responded no room. I don't thinkg he even a really checked.

Family Friendly -- Great View!

by TripAdvisor Member NancyVermont

We stayed here February 23, 2005. The room was quite small, but it did accomodate all 4 of us (2 boys and parents.) The bathroom was spectacular; we suspect it was newly renovated. To their credit, when I booked, they said to ask if they had an opening for a bigger room when we arrived. (We did; they didn't.) This place is right on the road (Pacific Coast Highway) but also right on the beach. In the morning we had continental breakfast sitting at a table looking right at the Pacific Ocean. We saw a whale. Wow!

The California That Time Forgot

During a six-month stint working in LA I stayed at the Casa Malibu several weeks. I found the staff and the owners to be very friendly and helpful every time I was there. The best values in my opinion were not the beach front rooms but the garden rooms. I had a room with two double beds on weeknights for $125 plus tax, which I thought was excellent for a beach front lodging in a place like Malibu with very few hotels. The amenities included in-room coffeemaker and fridge, iron and cable TV with Comedy Central (got to have my Daily Show).

The biggest draw of Casa Malibu is its classic California courtyard, with tassa de oro vines, twin palm trees and a glass-fenced view of the surf. Many times I was a bit late getting to my work site because I was enjoying the complimentary scones from Wolfgang Puck's local cafe, drinking coffee and watching the early surfers off the point or the sun coming up over Santa Monica and the flights departing LAX. Here you can observe the busy-ness of LA from a comfortable distance.

There were few kids at the Casa when I was there and pets are not allowed. There is no pool or exercise facility, but there is instant beach access and a private stretch of sand for guests.

Although there is high speed wireless internet access throughout the property, it had been down as much as it had been working (it seemed to get better over the months). Add to this that cell phones rarely get a signal in Malibu and the switchboard and office shut down at 11 PM, one can find oneself fairly incommunicado, which may not suit a business traveler.

A downside for some rooms is the noisy PCH (Highway 1) just outside. The beach front rooms are sheltered from the sound of the traffic.

I stayed at Casa Malibu often because I wanted a break from the chain hotels and I felt like I was recognized and welcomed at the Casa. If you want to bask in the style of an almost forgotten California for a decent price, this is a great place to start.

Loved Casa Malibu

We stayed in room 106 and had the best time. The staff were really nice and helpful and the room was very comfortable. I had the best nights sleep. I loved listening to the waves coming up under the balcony. We are planning staying there again our next visit.

What a place............

Wow...We Are From Las Vegas and Found this Place by Accident And Want to go Back Asap...The Desk Clerk was Very Helpful and Nice...If you Need a Dinner Reservation At a nice restaurant just Tell Her Where and What Time and consider It done...A great romantic getaway for couples with No children...the private beach is very nice and on july 3rd the weather was perfect and there was only 6 people on the sandy beach...yet 2 hotels down it was So crowded you had no place to lay down...We sat on the beach with a bottle of wine and watched the seals... and at one time a whole school of dolphins came by jumping in and out of the water...that was real cool...hotel is very clean inside and out...owners take pride in there property...the next time i go there it will be a room on front with a fireplace...Thanks again Casa Malibu!!!!!!!!

Unfriendly Service vs. Great View!

The location, room, view, beach were all great. Beds are somewhat small if you're sharing, but I liked having a small fridge in the room. I also liked that no pets and/or smoking are allowed. None of the beachfront rooms have kitchenettes, which was inconvenient. Also, the service ----- - even though we were paying $300 a day to stay there. To be fair, the standard of service everywhere in Malibu is pretty bad. What's with that beach hillbilly, no class attitude? I grew up on some of the best beaches in the world, far better than here in California, and I never before experienced anything like the bad attitudes that I get from the Malibu biz owners! It's almost like they not only DON'T want your business, they don't even want you in their hood!

Anyway, just beware: Do NOT ask the CMI managers for extra anything (towels/chairs/umbrellas/breakfast muffins) unless you want to be read the Riot Act or cop the stink-eye from the managers. I guess cos they were booked out (and usually are) that they can charge whatever they like for accommodation and don't have to be cordial to guests. We kinda felt like we were in the middle of the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode. If you don't expect 5 star service for your money then you should check out the Casa Malibu Inn for the location and to get away from the sound of sirens blasting for a day or two. However, we do like to get good service for our hard earned money (not that we are demanding at all), so next time we'll be staying at the Pink Palace (which is a 2 minute walk down the same stretch of beach).

Great Place for peace and quiet!

by TripAdvisor Member sarah333

Don't come here expecting luxury because the place is pretty basic and the breakfast is a couple of croissants on a plate at reception. But we stayed in a beach front unit and you looked right out onto the sea - you could hear the waves lapping all night which was lovely. The room was great if not a bit shabby - (but as our last holiday was in a beach villa in the Maldives i think i ask too much of some places!) had great room facilities for such a small place. We ate in an italian across the road which was really nice and were also recommedned to go to Dukes - which was absolutely fantastic! If you're going to Malibu eat in Dukes!!

Had a great 3 night stay as part of our honeymoon and enjoyed sitting on the private beach. Would defo come and stay here again. But be prepared for basic.

Vastly Overpriced with Freeway Noise

Thinking that leaving our quiet nearby Topanga home for a weekend at the beach would be a good idea, we booked the Catalina Suite at $250 a night after being told that it was one of their most popular rooms and had both sea and mountain views. What a joke! Yes, if one stood at a particular angle at different windows in different rooms, sea and hillside could be glimpsed but the most important fact about the suite was not mentioned--that it fronts Highway 1, which for all intense purposes is a Freeway. Yes, we enjoyed walking on the beach, although this area of the Pacific coast is not that attractive, and appreciated communal tables placed in an area overlooking the ocean. Otherwise, we paid much too much to endure the noise and exhaust of almost 24 hour traffic in old, shabby rooms. Never again!

Beautifull place with dolphins swimming by

We stayed 3 weeks at this hotel, after we stayed 1 one night 2 years ago. The Hotel is beautifull, yes there is the pacific highway on the back, but in your room you do not hear the sound of the cars, you will hear the sound of the waves. The rooms are well protected from the road. Rooms are good and every day we have got new sheets. The owners Joan & Richard are very nice people and will help you with everything. Do not expect to much from the breakfast, but 10 minutes walk you will find a starbucks and in the shopping center you can have breakfast at marmelade Cafe. Across the street you have a perfect Italien Restaurant with good Food, Geofrey's, Duke's, and Paradise Cove are also very nice. The most beautifull thing is that we have seen 10 time's the dolphins swimming by very close (80') in front of our room, one time we jumped in the water and they were onlu 9' away from us, very beautifull experience. Also we saw (heard) a Sea Lion on the beach in front of our room.
The Hotel is not cheap, but you will never forget this hotel and the sea view (it is still cheaper than buying a appartment on this location!). We will go back next year. Peter, Meir en Rosalinde from the Netherlands

Overpriced and not that great!

Disappointed with our weekend stay. The constant traffic noise from Hwy 1 sure made it difficult to enjoy its' beachfront location........i.e. sirens, motorcycles & cars racing by with the occasional sounds of the surf. Asking for directions &/or a detailed map of the area (or even where we could get one) at the front desk made us feel like we were being a burden to one of the owners. She was not overly friendly or even helpful! Noisy people in the room next to us kept us awake in the wee hours on our second night. The walls seemed to be paper thin! We had a Garden View room with a sneak peek of the ocean. Perhaps the Oceanfront rooms were nicer but at an even steeper rate/night! Won't be back........there must be better!

Comments