Malibu Country Inn

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 137 reviews
Booking.com Expedia.com

The worst ever!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 4, 2010

What a terrible experience this was. Given that I know about Yelp and didn't bother to read the reviews first, I suppose I have to take some of the blame, but only a little bit.

First, I looked at the web site. Wow. What a nice looking place, huh?

Then I called to make a reservation for the next evening. When I called, the desk person, he advised me that I was already within their cancellation period so there would be no refund. Fine. No problem - that is, until I arrived.

Upon arrival, there was a little printed out sign saying the restaurant was closed. Bummer. If you know Malibu, there isn't a lot around and I was counting on eating there as well. I gritted my teeth, but bit my tongue. Upon check in, though, I did inform the desk "kid" that had I known about this fact, I would have booked somewhere else. He then suggested it was incumbent upon me to have asked if it was open! Really???? Should I have asked if the pool worked too? Maybe that's something the reservation agent could have told me? Oh, right, but he was much more concerned with me understanding their booking "policy." Still, I was determined to have a good time so I headed to the room. That's where it really went south.

Though I want to say this in a mature way, all I can think of is that the room was a piece of crap. It smelled...mildew. The carpet was mislayed, there was a gaping hole in the wall in the bathroom and a floorboard missing from the bathroom as well. On top of all that, the front door to the room wouldn't close properly. The list goes on...

As for the decor, it was circa 1970 grandma style. There were even mirrors on one whole wall facing the bed. I'm pretty sure the TV was also from that time period. It was stuffy and I could have sworn there were bugs crawling on me in the bed. Finally, I went by the pool to find it was filthy. Seriously, you wouldn't want to go in there.

So I go back to the snotty kid at the desk to explain that I was unhappy and I wanted to leave. He said the best he could do was give me 10% of my money back, but there would be no refund. When I asked why. He said "that's the policy." When I then asked to speak to a manager, he said he would make that call. When I then asked the manager's name, he said he "wouldn't" give out that information.

I then cited that I was mislead by the web site - regarding the restaurant, the pool and, oh yeah, there is NO WIFI in the rooms as promised - and that I felt duped and, because of all that (including the complete disarray of the room) , I deserved my money back, policy or no policy. He said there was nothing he could do.

So I stayed the night as there was literally no other room available for miles (Labor Day weekend, ya know), but left early the next morning.

Regardless of your plans, DO NOT STAY HERE. I am not exaggerating one bit. It is the worst, so bad, in fact, I'm thinking of calling the health inspector. I don't think it's lawful to make people endure mildew (probably mold as well) and sleep with bugs.

Beware!

Unique Quality: Nothing unique. Just bad. Seriously.

Nearby Malibu Country Inn

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking
  • Continental Breakfast

Malibu Travel Forum

Need advice about Malibu, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Malibu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Malibu hotel reviews

Museum dining
Casual seafood shack
Casual seafood on PCH
Restaurants
At the beach, make reservations first!
Opening of Book Store/ Cafe in Point DUme
Zuma Beach
Point Dume Natural Reserve
Getty Villa
Things to Do
We don't serve breakfast, not cause we're fishing
Malibu Pier