3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Juniper Springs Resort

Bad beds and Bad service

by TripAdvisor Member PlutoCa

Juniper Springs Resort Hotel gets a "D" a mon passing grade. They could have had an OK review by our family if they did not charge $299.00 per night for terrible beds and terrible service. Good beds and good service is a must on my list if I am paying $299.00 per night.

At Motel 6 you might expect the type of beds and service we got at Juniper Springs Resort Hotel. They also keep their bag carts locked up down in the parking garage. It is extremely difficult to get someone to unlock the carts. If you choose not to use them, you have to make 50 trips back and forth from your car to get all of your things to your room.

This is a ski resort, having bag carts available is another must. Skiers have plenty of bags with gear and ski clothing in them. I would think twice before booking with the Juniper Spring Resort Hotel. There are other good options in Mammoth.

Home away from home in Mammoth

I discovered Juniper Springs Lodge two years ago when I was attempting to introduce my wife and children to the wonders of skiing. It worked!! The whole loves both skiing, and staying at Juniper Springs is a must when we are in Mammoth. The building is very attractive and sits at the end of a street leading to Little Eagle Lodge and chair lift. The staff is helpful and courteous, and the rooms are always clean and nicely appointed. I have two grow boys (13 and 11 years) so the one bedroom unit, with it's convertable sofa, is getting a bit small. Overall, however, the rooms are very nice. The kicthen is fully stocked with cooking utensils. There is a video library downstairs. When my wife and I go to Mammoth alone, the room size is perfect.

O.k. about the skiing: Juniper Springs Lodge is just steps from the Little Eagle Chair Lift....just steps. I counted one day - I think it was about forty steps! How cool is that. Now, Sunstone, which is a little further up the slope from J.S. is even more convenient. You step out of the lockerroom unto an access trail and ski down to the lift. Nice!!! But, Sunstone, even though constructed by the same builders, does not have the amenities and light feel of J.S. I prefer J.S., though both are very nice. J.S. and Sunstone are located on the easier side of Mammoth Mountain. Most of the runs leading to the Little Eagle Lift are beginner to intermediate. You can, however access the entire mountain from Little Eagle. The very top of the Mountain is just three chairs away. I must say that it's nice to go to more busy lodges such as Canyon and Main Lodge - spend some time there, and then head back to the sleepy more laid back side of Little Eagle.

I love the town of Mammoth Lakes. The town planners have done a fantastic job of organizing it. A little for everyone. It's not party, party, party like lake tahoe, and the Mountain is much easier to access. You can find the party, though, I go to ski and be with my family.

Juniper Springs is Great. Enjoy.

Juniper Springs very bad service

by TripAdvisor Member csdesign

Visited Juniper Springs this month (January 2007). The lodge nice and very conveniently located to the lift. Right next to lift 15. You can ski in and out of the lodge. The main complaint is that they had one of the worst service I've ever had. I had to call 3 times to get a another comforter. Finally after 3 calls to 3 different employees, had to call the manager to get one. Same thing with technical service and house keeping, had to call several times to get any response and finally the manager. On our last night we were not able to get house keeping to do our room. Called several times and finally got our own supplies from the house keeping room. Most of the guests were doing the same thing, even emptying out their own trash. Very disappointing for such a nice place...will not stay there again!

Bad beds, no soundproofing, rooms won't cool down

by TripAdvisor Member JoJo027

This was our second stay at Juniper Springs, and unfortunately, it will be our last. We stayed there in April 2006 during spring break and liked everything - location, pool and jacuzzis, family atmosphere - but the beds were horrible. Like sleeping on a piece of plywood. After requesting good beds and being assured we would get a room with good beds, we decided to chance it this year. That turned out to be a mistake. We were given a room at the front of the hotel and heard every service vheicle and bus pull up. The beds were just as bad as last year, and this time we simply could not get the room to cool down. It was always too hot. Hot and dry. Very uncomfortable. We complained and were moved to an interior location the next day, which solved the noise problem. The beds were still not good and the temperature in the room was uncontrollable. The bellhop told us he didn't know how anyone could stay in the rooms, that it's always hot - like an oven. I understand it's an airflow problem related to building construction. Whatever the reason, it felt more like a cheap motel that a place of "upscale condos". Having paid in excess of $300 per night we felt ripped off. After a hard day's skiing, a person wants a comfortable bed and a room that isn't like a sauna. Juniper didn't deliver.

Don't expect a quiet night's sleep at Juniper Springs

by TripAdvisor Member j2garcia

Our room was on the second floor and about 100 feet from where the shuttle buses pick up and drop off at the resort's front door. The rooms are small and there is no air conditioning, which means that you have to keep the windows open, which also means that you have to listen to the buses coming and going every 15 minutes from 8:00 a.m. to midnight! Not only do you have to listen to them, but you have to inhale their fumes as well.

The hotel manager said it was our fault for not asking for a "quiet" room, and we should have asked to be moved. I wasn't aware that hotels assume that you're not interested in a quiet room unless you specifically ask for one!!

We also waited for the bell hop to take our bags to our room, but eventually gave up on them and did it ourselves.

Too bad that the service and attitude is so poor because this is really a great location. We'll stay someplace else the next time.

Young Staff = Bad Service

by TripAdvisor Member BarbaraMS

We had high hopes for Juniper Springs, apparently voted one of the top 50 ski resorts in the US. While the condominiums & amenities were clean & modern, the service was severely lacking. The front desk & maintenance staff were very young, and didn't understand the meaning of customer service. When we checked in, there was no key to our room since the previous guest took it. After 15 minutes of waiting while they ran around trying to figure out to do, we stopped being nice. They explained that it wasn't their fault our key wasn't available, it was the previous guest's fault. At $400+ a night, this level of service is just unacceptable. Also in our room, one of the TVs wasn't working. It took 4 calls over 2 days &, finally, a visit to the front desk to get a maintenance person in our room. Once again, it was a young man, and he came in, jiggled the cord, and said, "hmm, that's unusual. the cable is different than the other rooms, I'm surprised another guest hasn't reported it. We'll have to call the cable company to fix it." I would bet a night's lodging (and that's a lot!) that the problem still hasn't been fixed, and it's been a month since we've been there. Finally, this is entirely a family resort. The pool & hot tubs are overflowing with children, so if you're looking for peace & quiet, this is not the place for you.

Nice views

by TripAdvisor Member gbunny64

Luckily, I read the reviews here before arriving there, so I knew ahead of time there was no air conditioning. Some days there was a breeze blowing into the room, but other days it was a stifling 85 degrees in our room. I know it isn't hot that much of the year, but the place should at least invest in wall units!

Other than that, the place was great. The service was friendly. The guy who checked us in welcomed us and asked us if we needed any other information about Mammoth.

We stayed in the Sunstone building, which is just behind the main building. I know some people complained about noise, but our condo area was very quiet and peaceful. There was a pretty good view from the room too.

The room was clean and the beds were fine. The kitchen is well-stocked with dishes and pans.

The pool for our building was sparkling clean.

Comfortable and convenient

by TripAdvisor Member hermosabeachgrrl

Nice condo with well-stocked kitchen. So easy to walk to Eagle Lodge in the AM, buy lift tix, then hop onto the Eagle Run lift chairs. It's an easy ride back down the mountain too.

In terms of value, it was definitely a tight fit for four people (two couples), but it would've been too pricey for just two of us.

Nice Rooms, But Hot and Terrible Beds!

by TripAdvisor Member PrincessBessie

I read the reviews before we left but I didn't think the beds could be that bad. But they were -- we like a firm bed but these are just rock hard. The sofa bed was the same way (but then to be fair have you ever slept in a sofa bed that was comfortable?).

There is no air conditioning however they did provide us with 2 little fans. There was a wonderful cool breeze blowing, however since you could only open the door leading to the balcony, it didn't cool the entire room. The bedroom had a window however it only opened at the top of the window (it leaned inwards) about 5 inches. Not enough to really make much of a difference. It was at least 78 degrees in there during the night and usually at 85 during the day.

Also, the Mexican food offered in Mammoth is terrible! We didn't eat at one restaurant that offered a decent meal the whole time we were there.

Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member letsgo67

We just came home from a great family ski trip!! We loved staying at JSL because it was right next to the slopes! We had kids from ages 4 to 16 and from non-skier to advanced skiers in our group. We could walk our 4 and 6 year olds over to the beginner slopes while the older kids can take off on their own time to catch their first run of the day, then everyone can come back to the room whenever they want. No one has to wait in the lodge at the end of the day! It just can't get anymore convenient than that! Our unit was a corner unit so it was able to accommodate 6 people very comfortably. When we arrived there was a nice warm fire in the fireplace waiting for us. The bell staff was very friendly and helpful, but I do have one suggestion. If you need help with your luggage, it is best to unload at the front door rather than after you've parked in the garage. The beds were a little hard like in the other reviews, but I did not find it uncomfortable. We found the unit to be very clean and quiet. The hotel even offers free van shuttle to town and the town ski shuttle stops right in front of the hotel. Unlike other places we've stayed in Mammoth, staying at Juniper Lodge gives you a sense that you're in the mountains. You can't beat the view and the convenience at JSL.

Comments