3400 Highlands Avenue, Manhattan Beach, California, 90266, United States

Travelocity Orbitz.com AMOMA.com

• Worst Hotel Experience of my life

Worse hotel experience of my life, locked out of room all night. Motel owner is now calling and threatening to sue if I do not remove my negative review on Trip*Advisor. Below is a copy of my post:

One of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. For the third year in a row I booked three nights over new years. I will never return. Sea View is slightly cheaper than others in the area but its not worth saving a few bucks. To begin the room was dirty and the heater was terrible. Foreign hairs peppered the the bed and were stuck to the bathroom walls. But you get what you pay for.

The risk in staying at this roach motel came out when I locked myself out of the room around 11:30pm without a cell phone, wallet, or jacket. After walking up and down the main street for half an hour looking for help, a sympathetic bouncer outside of a nearby bar let me use his cell phone to call the hotel. To my surprise there was no emergency contact number for any problems after 11pm. Yes, the sign on Sea View's office clearly says their hours are from 7am - 11pm. But in all my travels I have never experienced an independent hotel or motel without any options for guest emergencies.

In the end I had to sit in front of a friend's house freezing until he and his wife got home early that morning. A few hours later I got a second key from Sea View reception and got into my room. The clerk verified that there was no after hours phone number and that I should call 911 in the event of an emergency.

BUT the part that made this my WORST hotel experience ever was the way I was treated by one of the owners - James McCleary - when I called to explain what had happened after checking out. Three minutes into my explanation I was shocked when James raised his voice and started on a delusional rant about how people like me were the problem with America. He went on to say that despite his motel having no available human contact after 11pm that I was the problem, that I needed to own up to my mistake, and that by even discussing this with him was a reflection of how America is going down the drain. I responded that this was not a political debate and, that I was part of a large group who has been staying at his hotel for three years. He clearly did not care about our future business. Now screaming and enraged, James continued to rant about entitlements, the US debt crisis, the Obama administration and how people like me were destroying America. I eventually had to hang up the phone. James - you can be sure that my large group of friends and I will never be a burdan on you or your motel again.

Unique Quality: Owner/Manager James McCleary is now threatening to sue me because I posted a negative review. He has called and harassed me twice. Beware!!

• karenshammy's Profile Photo

Manhattan Beach Favorite

Any room here is fine! I love the luxury suite @ $200, but they have less expensive rooms which are just as great, if you're on a budget and/or travelling solo. Pool, yes...but, hopefully, you'll jump on one of the free bicycles and ride the Strand, or pick up a complimentary towel and beach chair for a sunny day at the beach...a block away! They even will hook you up with kid's stuff, like sand buckets and shovels.

Unique Quality: Staying here feels like you're a local. Close to great inexpensive dining...El Tarasco, Beach Pizza (not just pizza), Beach Hut--Ron has been serving great Hawaiian chow for over 20 years!--especially, great grub after early morning surfing!

Easy access from Manhattan Beach to Hermosa and Redondo Beaches...and, beyond.

Regardless, of your budget...you can find affordabiltiy or extravanganza!

Directions: Near LAX. Sepulveda to Imperial Hwy, left on 1, turns into Highland Ave...a few blocks past Rosecrans on the left, at 34th.

• disappointment in Manhattan Beach, CA

We spent a sunny weekend in Los Angeles revisiting old haunts. But I sure wish that we could have stayed in my old apartment, too, because the Sea View Inn was a big disappointment. First of all - no sea view (other than a sliver of one across a noisy buy road and between the buildings and the utility lines). Secondly - management tried to charge us multiple nights for multiple rooms because we upgraded upon check in. And when we complained we got this classic line: "I don't make mistakes. I'm the manager." It was a lousy way to end our vacation.

The "Sea View" Inn is at the northern end of Manhattan Beach halfway up a steep hill from the ocean in several buildings that appear to have been acquired and converted over time. Local Yolk is the name of a good breakfast spot, Pancho's is an over-the-top Mexican restaurant (central room full of fountains, plants, Mexican paintings, etc.), and there are a couple of good bars called Sharkeez and Harry O's. But the best shopping and restaurants are an inconvenient drive (and then fruitless search for parking) away in either downtown Manhattan Beach or in the much younger and livelier Hermosa Beach. Those places have the same beach that Sea View Inn enjoys (actually better, because of pretty piers to walk out on) and much more to do within convenient walking distance. If you're going to stay away from the action then I would recommend the Manhattan Beach Marriott for more (and more professional) services.

• rjweber21's Profile Photo

good location and affordable

Good stay. Helpful staff. Free bike loaners for rides on the strand. Not absolutely quite since it's located on one of the busiest streets in Manhattan. Still, not too bad.

Unique Quality: small pool. Located right on Highland Ave. Decent breakfast place next to lodging.

Directions: About 1/4 mile south of Rosecrans on Highland Blvd. 3/4 mile north of Manhattan Beach Pier.

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

Local Independent Inn

This is a small, independently owned inn. It's up the hill only a few blocks from the beach. Many of their rooms have ocean views. The owner is named Hal and he's a really nice guy... he also owns the little breakfast place next door called "The Local Yolk".

Unique Quality: It has a pool which is very unusual for Manhattan Beach, but I don't imagine that it gets much use because the beach is so close. Also, they have beach cruisers (bicycles) for you to use while you stay there. This is a great perk, because you can ride on the beach along the strand all the way down to redondo or up to marina del rey. I live near by and ride my bike all the time and i think it's one of the coolest things to do if you're visiting. But I must say, pushing the bike back up the hill takes some getting used to.

Directions: Manhattan Beach on the corner of Highland and 34th.

More about Sea View Inn at the Beach

over-priced, run-down, infested. Otherwise okay.

by TripAdvisor Member DH123

This motel is a collection of old buildings that management has repainted and branded. Apparently some of the buildings are better than the one that we stayed in - across the street from the office. Although the place was relatively clean for a motel it was massively overpriced at $150/night and the street noise made sleeping difficult. All this would have added up to a 2/5 rating (3/5 if I felt charitable) but after the second night I woke up to little red itchy marks on my left arm and shoulder. Management tried to blame it on "sand lice" from the beach but it was December - all I did was walk out on the sand once dressed in street clothing. I think that they have bed bugs.

Pleasant Stay at Sea View Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Golf1923

We were in town for a wedding at the Verandas, although we stayed for a week! As family of 8, we had 3 rooms...we enjoyed the rooms surrounding the pool with a balcony to the street, the noise of which only bothered us the first night. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We took advantage of the FREE bikes, beach towels, beach chairs, and sand toys. The volleyballs were missing...they need to hold a $10 deposit for the return? The twice daily walks down to the beach and back up to the Inn were invigorating. Great restaurants nearby: Local Yolk, Sloopy's and Pancho's. Near LAX.

Nice location, no complaints

by TripAdvisor Member likeslocalstuff

We stayed there for a few days right after Christmas. Easy check-in, each check out.. nice area all the way around. Free bikes. Rooms are just your norm, nothing fancy but did not feel unsafe. Room was clean and kept cleaned. Toilet paper EXTRA SOFT.. ;) Always had enough towels. We thought we would hit the pool but the one night we were going to there were just a ton of leaves in it from earlier in the day when a big wind came by.. we were disappointed by that but otherwise no problems at all. The guys that run it are right there and appeared to be very easy going with any requests we had. We will be back next year.

Great Inn, right near the beach

by TripAdvisor Member gclark84

We stayed for just one night in Manhattan beach, and the Sea View Inn was a very good choice. There is nothing spectacular about the rooms or property, but everything seemed very clean, and staff very nice and helpful. The location of the Inn is very good. A short walk to the beach. I was very impressed with Manhattan beach, it was very nice. There are some bars/restaurants within walking distance, and even more within a short drive down the road. We enjoyed OB's for happy hour on taco tuesday. I would defnitely stay here again. If looking for great accomidations, probably will be disappointed. but if looking for some place to crash for a few nights, right near the beach, I had no problems with the Sea View Inn.
Also, parking is very convenient, and the Inn offers bikes, beach equip, etc. free of charge. A great feature.

Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Kris10Pat

My husband and I stayed here May 11th for a couple of nights. The room wasn't fancy but I didn't expect it to be. It was very clean. I had asked to have a room far from the traffic noise and was very pleased by how quiet our room was.

The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Its great to be able to borrow beach towels, etc.

The one thing I was surprised about was the actual distance to the beach. It could be because we were in further back building but it was a walk really. Going down was no biggie...but the coming up...whew. It gets very tedious. I don't really consider myself that out of shape but it was killing my calves. Very steep upward climb for about 3-4 blocks back up to the Inn.

Manhattan beach was very very clean. Everyone we ran into was pretty friendly and I would go again. I would stay at the SeaView Inn in the future.

Oh...our plane didn't arrive until 8:30 and we rented a car. It was an easy drive to the Inn, didn't take very long at all.

Amazing hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member Caligirlatheart7

Sea View Inn at the Beach is an amazing hotel. The staff is beyond friendly and helpful. My room was totally beyond my expectation. The bathroom was very spatious and clean. The room itself was very clean also. The beds were amazingly comfy...Just everything about this hotel was great. :)

Comments