The Belamar Manhattan Beach

3501 Sepulveda Blvd, (Formerly The Belamar Hotel ), Los Angeles, California, 90266, United States

The Belamar Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com The Belamar Hotel

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• lorettawildman's Profile Photo

A long time ago -

I worked for this hotel in the 60's and it was known as the Pen & Quill Hotel. It was built by Ernie Pile,a war correspondent that built it after the hotels in Europe. I believe at that time it had 128 hotel rooms, the first promenade over a street to the restrauant. It was going through bank-rupsey when I worked there and I was the front desk manager, then night auditor and helped out with the new years eve party's serving drinks. I have a lot of stories about the clientel that frequented the hotel. Howard Hugs group, actors, ex-presidents wives, just to mention a few. The United Air Line crew and Aero Novis De Mexico crew also stayed there. I was a young divorcie at the time so I enjoyed it very much. It was bought by someone and then after that became Barnibys Edwardian Inn. I have often wanted to revisit it but married a Gas and Oil Man from Texas and now live in Houston and a ranch near by. I
    am now a Real Estate (Broker) and have been for 35 years. I still remember the hotel with fawn memories.

Unique Quality: At the time I worked there I remember the rooms were not square. The food was excellent and the people were like no other...

Directions: Close to AirPort

• eg146's Profile Photo

Worst Hotel in LA

You also cannot self park, it's all valet parking and a real pain when you need your car to come and go-lots of tipping for parking.
    The bathroom was so small we only had room for 2 towels, no place for personal items and a charge for EVERYTHING INCLUDING ROOM TO ROOM CALLS!! i WOULD SPEND THE $300 AT ANY OTHER HOTEL BUT THIS ONE, TRUST ME!!!!!!!

Unique Quality: Pool is in need of remodeling, tranquil balconies too noisy from busy Sepulveda Blvd. Tranquility courtyard too loud, spa is dirty and old. It was a horrible stay. Rooms way to small for 2 people, no place to place you personal items and only enough roon in bath for 2 towels. Housekeeping was better at the Hampton inn.
    Our stay was ruined the minute we walked in the room Save your money and stay at a nicer, roomier place, prederabley one with self parking and you can save %Yes the hotel looks "cool" HOWEVER, the Tranquil room was so small we could barely fit 2 suitcases and ourselves in the room. The picture made the room look much bigger. wE could barely move around our 2 bags and what we had in them. The hotel did nothing about it and didn't care.

Directions: Busy intersection with poor access to get in hotel

• savvygirl's Profile Photo

Affortable Boutique

The Belamar Hotel is the perfect choice if you are looking for the middle ground between the bloated prices of boutique hotels and the unimpressive chain hotel feel. The Belamar stays in the "pricey but affordable" range ($150-$190 USD) for southern California and still maintains the integrity and relaxing aura of the boutique hotel genre. The beds are comfortable and all of the amenities that you sound expect are there. It is super close to the airport and sits in a highly accessible area without the highway hotel experience.

Unique Quality: Quirky decorating that will make you smile and not cringe :)

Directions: Corner of Sepulveda and Rosecrans Ave.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

A quaint, European style accomodation

UPDATE: This hotel just completely renovated their look to be more sleek and modern. They just re-opened a couple months ago! (5/2005)
    An antique, European style hotel that whisks you away from Southern California! Once you step inside this enchanting hotel, you start to feel like you're in a whole new place! Barnabey's is very different from most of the modern and simple decorating style utilized by most hotels in this area. I've actually never stayed here, but have attended numerous functions which have always been more than successful! BTW, I'm guessing on the pricing....I'll try to get that info sometime in the near future though.... :)

Unique Quality: There is a beautiful courtyard in the middle which is perfect for weddings! They also have several ballrooms which are so much nicer than the "typical" ballrooms that are used for corporate events! The service here is great! There is a 5 mile trail that starts at the hotel and ends up in downtown Manhattan and the beach!

Directions: Corner of Sepulveda and Rosecrans, just 1.5 miles west of the 405 freeway and 3 miles south of the airport.

More about The Belamar Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel

The Belamar-nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member eagles78

We had a nice stay at The Belamar in which we stayed two nights. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The hotel room was clean and nicely decorated. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant called The Vibe and it was tasty with good service.
This hotel has valet parking but they don't charge for it. Just what you want to give in a tip to the valet parking attendants.

Manhatten beach area is a nice area with shops and delicious restaurants. We ate at The Kettle ( crabcake sandwich was delicious) and we ate at The Rock'n Fish. The food was delicious there too!

I would definitely recommend this hotel and area to visit. I was glad we chose to stay here instead of near downtown Los Angeles.

Cute little find

by TripAdvisor Member Beth116

After being shocked at the price of hotels in the Manhattan Beach area, I was thrilled to find a good deal for The Belamar Hotel. We stayed there for three nights at the end of July.

The hotel itself is very classy and nicely decorated. The rooms are regular size but the beds are fantastic and the TV is a nice flat screen. The window air conditioner was a bit annoying, as it kicks on and off VERY loudly, which is difficult when you're trying to sleep!

We didn't get to use the pool/hot tub, as it was closed one night for a private function and then closed for "safety concerns" another day. Based on other reviews, it seems that this happens ALOT, and while we weren't too disappointed since we had the beach, it is very frustrating to pay for the amenities of a hotel and have one aspect frequently blocked off. The pool and hot tub, from what we saw, were pretty small though, so we weren't missing out too much. The courtyard area by the pool was very nice though with comfy seating and a nice, relaxing atmosphere.

The lobby offered free coffee every morning, fresh fruit-infused water, and cookies, which was a nice treat! The workout room is small, but adequate if you want to work out. I recommend you just go outside though and enjoy the nice weather!

The only parking available is valet, but that wasn't a problem. It was complimentary (unlike other hotels), and tipping these drivers didn't bother us. The front desk staff was pleasant, but nothing to write home about. I didn't feel anyone went out of their way to help us or make us feel welcome, but no one was outwardly rude either.

The hotel isn't ideally located, but it's not bad. It's in a very ritzy area of nice beach houses, and the walk to the beach is a bit long, but very do-able. There is a jogging path you can walk along instead of the narrow sidewalks. There's a mall across the street from the hotel where you can grab a bite to eat (Corner Bakery, PF Changs, California Pizza Kitchen), but walking to Manhattan Beach is worth it. The beach is beautiful and didn't seem as crowded as the Malibu beaches. The restaurants were good, and definitely try the Manhattan Beach Creamery for some tasty ice cream!

Overall I would recommend The Belamar to others, especially if you can get a good deal, as well as a Tranquility room (which has a balcony -- the Skyline does not).

amazing. best in los angeles area for the price

by TripAdvisor Member robertNewOrleans

the belamar is amazing. everything was great. i recommend the tranquility rooms with the balcony. i love being near the crowds of los angeles but staying in the more quiet area of manhattan beach. the hotel was stylish and sexy without being over the top like the standard in hollywood. obviously there are other more luxurious hotels in the los angeles area, but you will pay at least twice as much. the area around the belamar is nice and with easy access to manhattan beach, you have everything you need close at hand, and yet easily accessible to hollywood, malibu, etc. also very close to LAX, so that you are quickly in your hotel after a flight and back to the airport quickly when you leave. i highly recommend the belamar. i will be back!!!

Nothing Negative!

by TripAdvisor Member talulah46

I was so worried after reading negative reviews of The Belamar. We stayed three nights and it was fantastic! It IS everything the website says it is--the beds were heaven, the rooms were clean, fresh and well maintained everyday; the a/c worked fine--even though the weather was 72+, the rooms do get stuffy w/o the a/c on; did not eat at the restaurant and it did take forever to get a Starbucks coffee, but the staff is very friendly, courteous and service is their main priority. The shuttle was very accomodating; the staff willing to recommend restaurants, sights, etc. I will definately stay here again if the need ever arises and I highly recommend it to anyone who is dilly, dallying as to whether or not to take the negative reviews into consideration.
It is not that close to the beach, but unless you want to be where all the noise and hoopla is, it is enjoyable to walk or shuttle down to the beach and back. The houses and neighborhoods are just precious, neat and clean.
My only caution is the cabs--we took the same trip to Hermosa Beach three times and each time it was a different (and lesser) amount. Same route, same distance, same time to get there...I recommend looking into the bus--we just couldn't get out schedule together with enough time to take advantage of the buses.

Best Hotel (other than Shade)

by beatchfre

Hi,

i was in Manhattan Beach last year and am planning to take my girlfriend there for a few days next month. I am looking for a hotel in the same sort of area that Shade is currently located in (this is too expensive for me). Can someone recommend the best hotel that's *minutes* walk from the beach?

by YVRDave

by savvygirl

I don't know if you have already traveled to Manhattan Beach, but the Belamar Hotel is a nice alternative to Shade. Not as expensive, not a chain hotel and it encompasses that cool, boutique hotel vibe.

by heryanta

Hi there,

if you want to be able to walk to the beach you might want to try the sea view inn. their url is http://www.seaview-inn.com/index.html and rates start at $110.
it's nowhere near as glitzy as shade, but it's on Highland avenue which is means you are 1 block from the water.
it is slightly south of the pier, but you can walk to shade in 20 mins.
the downside of staying on Highland is you get the commuter noise during rush hours.

-Andi-