The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey

!Excellent Service!

This property is fabulous! My wife and I checked into the hotel late in the evening and were treated like 'gold' right from the start! As we approached the front desk, a very kind manager named, "Chanin", was there to greet us and assisted in making reservations for a limousine that we needed for the next day. Amazing! He was able to accomodate our requests even though it was 2am in the morning. He introduced us to "Carsie" the bellman, who happily escorted us to our breathtaking room while double checking with us regarding any further requests that we may have had. These two gentlemen are true assets to the Ritz-Carlton Company. It only got better from there! I know for a fact that we will be back in the next few months for more great experiences! Beautiful location! Thank you Ritz Carlton, Marina del Rey!

Nice weekend getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Temporary

I took my fiancee on a surprise weekend getaway to this hotel....really nice place, from the ice tea in the check-in line, to the cool air and classical music in the room... to the late night turn-down service, to the nice note the valets left in the car upon leaving....

Everything seemed to be in great condition, and we had a nice view of the marina, garden and (very busy) pool area. The only real complaint is that we could occasionally hear doors closing or water sounds from elsewhere on the floor. But that was a minor annoyance. I enjoyed just resting in the room, while my fiancee worked out in the gym. Later I

The hotel also offers bike rentals, but we prefererred to walk along the waterfront, or take the "Coastlink Shuttle" water taxi (runs every summer season) to various points on the marina.

We had a very nice stay.

Nice Stay

Just retured from our 7 day vacation in California and stayed at the Ritz our final night. We were in two other 4 star hotels on this stay and the Ritz was a great finishing touch. The hotel is a little on the tired side....but the pool area was excellent. The location is only 5 minutes to Venice Beach and maybe ten minutes to LAX. I read all of the bad reviews on this hotel prior to booking a room...but as a very seasoned traveler I was not surprised. Anyone who has been around the block will know what to expect at a Ritz hotel...great service with all the amenities. Do not hesitate to stay here if the price is reasonable....not worth a premium though.

Moderate Experience

I spent four nights at the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Ray, which were fair. The staff was helpful and friendly, especially the Concierge, they are constantly busy answering tourist question after tourist question, myself included. The concierge was tremendous help. The last Ritz Carlton in CA I stayed in was in Half Moon Bay, which incidentally is a marvelous location and the property, hotel, everything at that Ritz is amazing! In any case, back to the MDR Ritz, the building from the outside, as well as, the lobby, is quite nice, although the fountain in the front had run dry, but who stays for view of a fountain, right? Upon entering my room #222, I was not impressed, but not really diappointed, I suppose I was neutral. The furnishing looked like typical Ritz Classic furnishing, however, they were not dated, but "aged" (i.e. need replacing and/or refurbishing). The desk had sticky-water marks on it (because the seal the varnish typically keeps, had been somehow warn off). The telephone on the desk was really old (I know... who cares, it's a phone, right? but the point is that HELLO, REPLACE IT, if in fact it's JUST A PHONE) and the cord kept pulling out of the receiver whenever I would stretch it like a foot from the desk, disconnecting 2-3 calls. The bathrooms were nice, marble as another review mentioned, however, I have come to expect marble bathrooms from Ritz Carltons, as I think that is the "norm". Ok, here is where it gets good or bad... TWO things that really put me off were, 1) the sheets are NOT even 100% cotton... and I do not mean a gripe like not 600 thread count, I mean NOT EVEN COTTON, they are cotton/poly blend... I mean, come on, I can do with 200 thread count, as I am not that snobby, but... they were not that, they were part polyester... I sooooo did not expect that. FYI... if you too like 100% cotton sheets, you might perhaps, request that before arrival, IF it's possible, I certainly would have. Oh... the Ritz at the Half Moon has phenominal bedding, def. 100% cotton and a rather high-thread count too... they're great! Ok, so item number 2! This is the best or worst rather... the evening I arrived I figured I would take a taxi into West Hollywood (that area) and I had dinner reservation at the Ivy (because come on! you MUST do the IVY in LA, well.. I wanted to). I called down to the front desk to inquire as to how long a taxi would take to arrive at the hotel, they said that they have taxi's awaiting the call, hence, when one arrives down stairs a taxi will be waiting. I kid you not, the taxi that we got into was an aprox. 1993 beat-up (NO exaggeration) Dodge Caravan... the only thing that didn't have on it to fit something you'd see on an episode of COPS is the wooden side panelling. I am not even kidding! I was thinking... ok, a taxi.. it'll be like your run-of-the-mill yellow old Crown Victoria or whatever... like what Jamie Fox drove Tom Cruise around in Collateral... you know?! A TAXI, not a nightmare on wheels! So, I fauly myself with not saying, "woe horsey... get me another ride!" when it pulled up, but hello! This is a Ritz Carlton... do you REALLY think your guests are that brain-donor-esque that they think that type of ride is adequate? YIKES! In any case, I will wrap this up for "you", the driver wasn't 100% sure of where the Ivy was located, we were like um.... the Ivy, you live in LA.. HELLOOOOOOO. How can you not know where the Ivy is? I am from Florida and I know about the Ivy, anyway... to each his/her own. We finally got close enough that we passed, THANK THE LORD, because at this point we felt like 2 teenaged kids being dropped off in front of high school by the embarressing family car or something... something you'd see Clark Griswald driving. So, we passed it and LUCKY FOR US (I say with sarcasm) he circled around and dropped us off in this --- directly in front of the Ivy. I could have cried, but so taken to the point of ridiculouness and that, mixed with jet lag, I could do nothing other than laugh... although, the embarressment wore off about 72 hours later! So, my point to all of this, if "you" have been patient enough to read through it all, RENT A TOWN CAR IF YOU ARE GOING INTO "TOWN". Honestly, the beater-ride to the Ivy cost us $50 PLUS tip. A town car, which the Ritz will ALSO get quickly for you, costs $89 per hour, minumum of 2 hours plus a tip, of course. The last night we were there, we went around West Hollywood, to the Sky Bar (great place), etc.. and did the town car, and IT WAS SOOOOO worth it, as well... if you have a "few" drinks, the car is waiting for you, so no taxi-hailing or anything. All-in-all, my experience at the Ritz was ok, the people were great, but the poly-blend sheets and the quality of transportation really put me off. One other thing, for the most part people in LA were nice, however, I did learn one thing, which I didn't know... it would seem as though the people that are "fake" (which I had heard so much about... that and the endless traffic-which wasn't SOOO bad) are people that are not famous and that want so badly to be, so I think that they think if they treat people like they are nothing, people (general public) will perhaps think they ARE something. As well, the people (generally) that ARE famous, are nice and do not do anything to draw attention to themselves... that may sound like generic-doogie-houser crap, but it's true and once I realized that... some of the "fakeness" and unsolicited attitudes were not even a bother to me. Well, LA is great! Have fun if you go. I am def. staying in Beverly Hills next time, it's only 3 1/2 miles (aprox.) from the "epicenter" of LA.

Not bad

by TripAdvisor Member youngk

I stayed at the Ritz for a few nights in August. It has a nice exterior and great pool area. The club level was amazing, so if you have the opportunity to go there, definitely do so. They are planning on doing a multi-million dollar renovation to the property very soon, because they know they cannot compete with other Ritz and high level hotels. This should help make the rooms/beds nicer. The bathroom was very nice though. Service was great.

Great place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member TEQUILA-fan

Ideal location for a trip to LA.Great surroundings.Excellent service & staff.Fabulous food.Pleasant clean rooms & bathrooms.Lovely pool/gym areas.Pay a little extra & stay on one of the executive levels for free a la carte mini-meals, three times a day & an open bar (inclusive of champagne).Hotel decor,ambiance & gardens are fab.We liked it so much we got married here.Definetly would come again,well worth giving it a try.

Nice.....but

by TripAdvisor Member lavieenrose1985

nice place, the rooms are small and not flashy at all. the bathroom is nice. ok beds. it sucks that i had to hear my friend tell me thought that one of the staff members were being racist to her. other wise love the breakfast buffet and the view. very quiet.

I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed...

by TripAdvisor Member Pablo_Diddy

I really really wanted to like this hotel. I booked in on a whim and balked at the $300+ per night rate, but figured, "hey, this is a Ritz-Carlton so it'll be a real nice place". Well, driving up to the place it seemed like it was gonna go really well. A nice building right on the lovely marina, check. Valet parking, check. Beautiful lobby (that happened to be decorated to the nines with Christmas stuff galore at the time), check. Efficient and friendly desk staff, check. Helpful luggage guys, check. Hey, things are going well!

For the record, I travel a fair bit and I'd previously stayed at Ritz-Carltons in Boston and Istanbul, so those locations set my expectations for this stay. That said, when the elevator door opened at my floor, you can imagine my surprise when I was greeted by what looked more like a Sheraton from 1985 than a Ritz-Carlton from 2005. I made my way to my assigned room and well, jeez, I was so disappointed upon opening the door. Before me was a small room more suited to a chain like Doubletree or Radisson, complete with stained carpet and not particularly clean bathroom. Come on, this is what I paid $329 + tax per night (+ valet parking) for? Nearly $400 total for one night in a room that was not even as nice as one at the Schiphol Hilton or the Allentown, PA Four Points by Sheraton? It really was a kick in the gut given the price.

To be fair, the bed was extremely comfortable, the sheets were very nice as well. One pleasant shocker was not feeling completely and utterly ripped off by room service (which is an all-too-common feeling). I got a special "bento box" which turned out to be an American twist on the Japanese term. The stylish and unique tray contained a sandwich, salad, soup, and dessert which was just enough and tasted pretty good to boot. Adding a Sprite to the order brought the total to something right around $25 which is obviously a total joke, but for hotel room service I actually didn't feel that guilty about the cost. (Yeah you know what I mean. It's that guilt you feel when you're thirstily staring into the mini-bar at its $4 Cokes which mock you, all while knowing full well that there's a 7-Eleven on the next block, but you're already in your complementary robe...so you just give in and buy one and then sit there for a while making sure every last bit comes out because each drop is worth 10 cents? Yeah that guilt. You know it. Where else would you actually pay $3.75 for a Snickers bar? Nowhere! But you'll do it at a hotel. Funny, huh.)

Ok back to the Ritz. As I mentioned a ways up (fair dues to you for reading this far) I travel frequently for business and pleasure and tend to stay at lots of hotels. They're typically your run-of-the-mill higher-class business hotels when I'm travelling for work and I try to find smaller, cool, and more intimate boutique-y hotels when travelling for pleasure. I like completing guest questionnaires and surveys because since I enjoy travelling, I think it's worth putting in a few minutes giving companies feedback that might improve their businesses, which in turn might make travelling more pleasurable for everyone. Anyway, after my stay at the Ritz-Carlton I provided them some feedback through their website. The points in the note were along the lines of what I wrote above (minus all my tangential ramblings). An automated message emailed back to me says that someone will be calling me back in 24 hours to talk discuss the comments. Well, you've probably guessed that I haven't heard a thing back from anyone -- it's going on three months, I'm still holding out for that elusive call but I may just have to let it go.

Do I expect a courtesy call from the Crowne Plaza when I respond on their in-room guest survey that the scrambled eggs in the complimentary buffet breakfast were a bit cold? Nah, of course not. However, I might have expected a response from Ritz-Carlton -- a company that prides itself on its claimed exceptional attention to customer needs and satisfaction. Ok, ok I know I'm whining now, but the message did say they would call and they never did, dangit.

Boy I really should wrap this up huh? I need to wrap this up with a pithy comment. Ok got it. To summarise the whole experience: Ritz-Carlton set my expectations pretty high and I was expecting more, but I ended up being real disappointed.

Thank you, drive through.

Give the Ritz its props

The Ritz-Carlton is the nicest hotel in Marina Del Rey by far. The location is nice and quiet, out of downtown LA and right on the harbor. During my stay I was especially impressed with the staff and their attention our needs. I have three young girls that gave the valets and other staff members a run for their money, but they all provided top level service with a smile. The best part of the trip was that the hotel offered to upgrade our room for free because the room we were supposed to stay in was not ready yet. Its the little things like this that makes the Ritz worth every dollar. The heated pool was terrific. It is also centrally located between Malibu and Disneyland which made it ideal for our daily road trips. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and I think it is on par with the Ritz in Boston.

Comments