Alegria Oceanfront Inn and Cottages

44781 Main St, Mendocino, California, 95460, United States

• Beautiful and Serene

I would return to Alegria in a heartbeat. The owners were exceptionally accommodating and willing to give advice whenever I needed it.

I stayed in the cottage across the street from the main house and loved it. The working fireplace was a major bonus. The homemade breakfast, brought each morning in a basket, was full of delicious treats. The room, actually 2 rooms, was clean and well-kept.

I would absolutely recommend this b&b. I plan to return this fall or winter.

Unique Quality: It's located just at the edge of town so it's very quiet but takes only a couple of minutes to walk toward the commerce area.

The owner makes a delicious breakfast each morning for guests who stay in the main house (I switched over to the main house after a few days, because that is how I booked my stay before I got there). When she learned, through casual conversation, that I eat gluten-free, she made me a gluten-free breakfast each morning. It was unexpected and delightful.

Directions: At the edge of town.

More about Mendocino

Cabernet grapes on the vine on Highway 128Cabernet grapes on the vine on Highway 128

the mountains do meet the sandthe mountains do meet the sand

nothing fancy but very good qualitynothing fancy but very good quality

lovely Mendocinolovely Mendocino

Travel Tips for Mendocino

short but sweet

by richiecdisc

North Coast Brewing was another place I had stopped 15 years prior but it was not on my list of places ro return to, not for any reason other than money and time. You can only do so much, even in six months. We had a wonderful meal, the beer was even better than remembered, and the laughter and conversation flowed. We returned to the campground and continued on well into the night, with talk of politics, nature, and life itself. Though I rarely got together with this part of my family, I have more in common with them than most far closer. It was surely the latest night of the entire trip and one of the most fun too.

We awoke early as campers do and I offered to make up breakfast burritos to everyone's great approval. We dazzled them with our camping efficiency, especially breaking down our camp and packing in a matter of minutes. That's what so much practice will do. We then went into Mendocino with them and discovered yet another place we wouldn't mind calling home. Charming is another overused term but it fits this town well. Later, it was sad to say goodbye to family you don't see nearly enough but redwoods were calling, short but sweet, short but sweet.

The beach at Mendocino...

by worldtrekker

The beach at Mendocino Headlands State Park. You can see the marine layer in the background. Many times that marine layer is also covering the entire town and a lot of the California coast for that matter. You don't see much sun when you have that overhead...

Not the sunny California you've heard about.

by Robert96

If you take about a 5 hour drive north of San Francsico you'll find Mendocino. The drive itself is a scenic pleasure. The destination is a small, peaceful town on the beautiful Northern Califronia coast.
Mendocino is a great base for exploring the area. There is kayaking and hiking, and you can take a drive to near by wineries. (Among other activities.)
If you're looking for California sunshine don't expect it here. Mendocino tends to be cloudy and overcast much of th time.

Scargo's Mendocino Page

by scargo

Stayed in a rent-house near Mendicino for two weeks. We were just off the cliffs and shore by a few hundred yards. This is me posing with kite I was flying. Nice breezes! Deer roamed in yard and fog rolled in occasionally. Seals were down in rocky beach area. Very quiet and very nice. Going into Mendicino was fun. Things are pretty quiet in the area. Don't expect much nightlife!

MacKerricher State Park SEPT

by worldtrekker

Machkerricher State Park is about a 20 minute drive north of Mendocino. It is one of the more beautiful California State Parks that I've seen. Here in the pic is Lake Cleone with several different species of waterfowl. At this spot there are some picnic tables - nice spot to enjoy lunch. There's also a lake boardwalk which goes around the lake.

Here's another pic of the lake. The variety of scenery in this park is nice...

Across the road from the lake and over a dune and you're here at this magnificent beach. This is a great spot to watch the sunset. There is camping here - see accommodations. At the south end of the beach starts the Laguna Point Boardwalk. It starts in the trees but soon you're out in an open, prairie-like area. There are several viewpoints. At one of them, you'll have a good chance to see harbour seals on the rocks. I saw 2 but apparently there's a large population of them here. I did see a seagull picking at a rather large seastar here too.

Comments