9401 Coast Hwy 1 N, Mendocino, California, 95460, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Best experience!

This was one of the best experiences I ever had at a bed and breakfast, or hotel for that matter. The check in process was very smooth and at first it can feel a little hotel like but the staff is very friendly showing us around and with only 10 rooms you get the B&B vibe soon enough. We had the Smuggler's Cove room. Very spacious, and relaxing. In the main area there are always little snacks out. a very large fireplace is in the center of the dining and common area with high ceiling and windows looking out toward the ocean.

They offer a spread of 4 or 5 items in what they call a light dinner buffet. The food is excellent and there is really no need to make reservations in town for dinner. One of the best meals we had on our two week trip. They also have a number of beer and wines to select from, all included with your stay!

In the evening, after walking about Mendocino, you can return and relax in the common area with some coffee or tea. They also have a very large video collect to choose from, especially classics. The TV's in the room are equipment with a dvd player. Definitely the best night sleep I had on this trip.

Breakfast is amazing. It is made to order from a wonderful selection. We had the BAAT (Bacon, Arugula, Avocado and Tomato) and the BGI classic breakfast. Portions are huge and tasty. The highlight is the Millionaires Bacon. Strips of bacon cooked with brown sugar and mild chili flakes, delicious!

Brewery is a little on the expensive side (a lot for most). But, we considered what we would have spent on dinner and wine at a nice restaurant and the breakfast was 5 stars, it all works out to actually be a pretty good bargain!

We would definitely stay here again!

Unique Quality: The food is incredible. Hard to believe that this quality food and the amount you receive with all drinks is included in the overall cost of your stay. The price nearly scared us aware but it was well for the experience.

• Robert96's Profile Photo

It can't get much better than this.

I can't imagine a better place to stay when in Mendocino. The Brewery Gulch Inn was wonderful. This was our second trip to Mendocino and I found Brewery Gulch superior to the first inn we stayed at.
    The inn is made from salvaged old growth redwood. The place is beautiful. The room rates include a full breakfast in the morning, and wine and cheese in the evening. I am not talking your regular B&B muffin and coffee breakfast either. They serve some tastey full breakfast entrees. In addition the wine served in the evening is some excellent Navarro River valley wines.
    There is a large meadow behind the inn. Every morning and evening several white tail deer come to the meadow to graze. They don't mind humans so you can watch them for as long as you please.
    PS-I found out about this place and got a great deal on Luxurylink.com. So if you like nice places to stay and good deals check that site out.

Unique Quality: Beautiful rooms, great servide, wonderful breakfasts, wine tasting, and a beautiful location. Some may find it pricey, but I found it worth it!

More about Brewery Gulch Inn

Brewery Gulch was beyond my expectations

We have just returned from a long romantic weekend at the Brewery Gulch Inn. The setting is exquisite and the appointments exceeded my expectations. I am disabled and always apprehensive about whether I will be able to cope. I need not have worried. Every effort has been made to accomodate me and other special needs guests. The staff, particularly Glenn, was attentive and sensitive. I look forward to returning to beautiful Mendocino and The Brewery Gulch Inn.

A fabulous place to stay

What a great place to say! We stayed at the Brewery Gulch Inn for our 5th anniversary. Everything was spectacular...the accomodations, the views, the personal touches, etc. The inn is located just outside Mendocino Village, and we loved the fact that we could get to town within two minutes without being in the middle of all the commotion. The Brewery Gulch was the best of both worlds: rustic beauty with first class accomodations. The food was incredible! The wine and hors d'oeuvres hour hosted by Glenn, the innkeeper, was probably our favorite part of the whole experience. We stayed at the Brewery Gulch Inn for four evenings and left wishing we could stay longer. We will definetly return to Mendocino and the Brewery Gulch Inn!

Wish I could stay all year long!

by TripAdvisor Member NJgolfer

Wow! The Brewery Gulch Inn (BGI) exceeded my expectations for a B&B. The food and wine tasting was out of this world. The staff was very friendly. The upstairs loft rooms were very nice and had a lot of room. Great location as well.
I love the 2 story fireplace as it is just such a nice setting to kick back and enjoy a glass of California Pinot!

Best Place to Kiss in Mendocino Top Rating

by TripAdvisor Member anniezephy

My husband and I stay at Brewery Gulch Inn at least once every year, usually for the fabulous wild mushroom festival in November or the crab and wine days in January. It's become our favorite retreat. They put on a fabulous hors d'oeuvres and wine evening and then you can attend some of the other events along the coast. I just got my new copy of The Best Places to Kiss guidebook and glad to see they agree with our raves and give it the only 4 kisses in the Mendocino area, their top rating. You can always count on their reviews. The staff is professional and warm and the concierge, Glenn, pours the wine in the evening to go with the extraordinary appetizers. We love how the inn is located just outside the bustle and noise of the village in its own appealing and private country setting.

BG is great for sensual experience

We were looking for a peaceful and beautiful place to spend our anniversary. We found the Brewery Gulch Inn to be a treat for the senses. The atmosphere is rather rustic. The food and local wines provided nightly were delicious. We really enjoyed the local wines chosen by Glenn, so much so that we went on quite a trek to pick some up for ourselves. Most of the wines in the area are organically grown or biodynamically grown. The chocolate desserts were awesome. I will be writing to get the recipe for the shortbread-like cheese "crackers".

The mixed scents of trees and the wonderful soaps were a big plus.

There is quite a bit to do in the area. We did a lot of hiking and eating (we highly recommend the Moosse Cafe).

Did not live up to expectations

by TripAdvisor Member UkieMel

The Inn was not as wonderful as expected, especially after reading all of the glowing reviews. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a room that was described as being reached by a private staircase and having views of both the ocean and the cove. Well the "private staircase" was actually 3 stairs that anyone could climb up if they felt like it. I only managed to find one coast line, and that was through the trees and utility wires. The rooms themselves were noisy, our last night we stayed up listening to 2 very loud snorers in the room next to ours. You can also hear everything that happens in the communal breakfast room downstairs due to the open layout. They also don't seem to use any kind of fabric softener for their towels, so be prepared to lose some skin. However, the breakfasts were great and the portions were huge, perfect for setting out on a day of wine tasting. We both agreed that we would not return to the Inn though, there was really nothing special about it.

Definitely not worth the $$$.... At least don't stay here if you want privacy.

by TripAdvisor Member kikki3

My dh and I just returned after spending the weekend here. We stayed at the Madrone Room (first floor) which is supposedly one of the poshest suites. Note - we've stayed at other high end hotels in our day (e.g. Four Seasons Maui) so we had some expectations as far as quality and service level. Especially when you consider that it nearly cost us $400 a night!!!

So when we drove up to the B&B, first impressions were nice. The place was remote and quite. The reception area and warm fireplace was quite inviting. And the staff was unbelievablely sweet. So far so good.

My face fell when I realized that our terribly expensive suite was located right next door to the kitchen. Okay, why didn't anyone tell me this when I made the reservations? All I was told is that it's one of their better suites. My goodness, what do the cheaper ones look like?!?!

The room itself was quite cozy. Nice kingsize bed, comfortable linens, fireplace chairs and a mini porch overlooking the freeway. The bedroom was by far the highlight. Nice comfortable tub and pleasant amenities. And since I told the front desk that this was a our wedding anniversary, they left us a bottle of champagne.

Checkin was a 3PM and by 5:30 the place started hopping. Good thing we made reservations at a nearby restaurant or else we would have been going nuts. That's the time that happy hour began and the noise level was SO loud that we could barely hear one another in our bedroom. Note: that's with our bedroom door closed.

When we came back at almost 8PM, the "party" was thankfully over. Phew, we thought... think again. I'm not really sure what happened but it turns out our next door suite (the Pine room) decided to throw a welcome party to some expectant visitors who just made it to the B&B. Suffice it to say our planned romantic evening was ruined because they threw the party in the reception area (after 8 PM, the BGI staff goes home so everything is a free for all). The only person that I was allowed to call in the late evening was literally 911. So my DH and I had to listen to our rude "neighbors" get drunk, yell, and scream until 11PM. They were so loud we could hear our upstairs suite wake up and walk outside. So much for a nice and peaceful getaway retreat.

Oh well, lesson learned. Be forewarned, if you want to get a relaxing peaceful getaway - don't come here. Granted, the staff is nice, the rooms are nice, and the food isn't bad. But the walls are PAPER THIN and whatever you do, don't spend $400 a night for either the Madrone or Pine room. Unless of course, you enjoy being right next door to the kitchen and hearing everything that goes on in the house.

Exceeds Expectations Every Time

My husband and I have been going up to Mendocino for 26 years now, and have stayed in most of the B & B's and hotels in the area. Several years ago, Brewery Gulch became our favorite, and has remained so--never once dissapointing us. The building itself is amazing, built with century-old logs salvaged from the nearby Big River. The design is open and dramatic, yet warm and inviting, with a beautiful dining room, and a cozy seating area in front of the ceiling-high fireplace. The Inn is surrounded by woods and beauiful gardens on three sides, and has a magnificent view of the ocean on the fourth side.

We have stayed in several of the rooms, all of which are very comfortable and have all the amenities one could want, including cozy fireplaces, views, and extras like a split of wine, candies, and a personal note from the Innkeeper.

The staff is very professional with the needs and interests of the guests as a top priority, yet they are all friendly and pleasant and eager to discuss your ride up, your plans for the weekend, or guilde you to just the right restaurant.

The food is almost too good to be true, with innovative and varied appetizers in the evening that could suffice as your dinner, if supplemented by the complementary fruit and biscotti. Glenn, the Innkeeper, is happy to discuss the wines he is pouring on any given evening, offering a mini-lesson in local wines for those who choose to drink up his information along with the beverage. The breakfasts are simply delicious, with lots of fresh fruit and juice, homemade breads or muffins...and THEN you choose your entree from among a selection of omelets, sweet smoked bacon, waffles, and more. The produce is organic, much of it grown on the site by the owner, whose heart and hard work are in everything from the logs he personally dove into the Big River to retrieve, to the garlic from his grandfather's home in Italy.

Yet, with all this warmpth and attention to detail the Inn is peaceful and quiet, affording privacy and solitude. A large bookshelf with an array of books and videos is available for those who choose to avail themselves of something new to read or watch.

THis is the best Inn on the Mendocino Coast.

fantastic inn

by TripAdvisor Member kauhlig

This was our 5th wedding anniversary celebration trip and the rewery gulch made it so much better then I thought it would. The room was the most comfortable and relaxing we have ever stayed in. Everything was impeccable and the extra touches made it that much better. Loved the bathroom tub for 2 with the window over looking the meadows it was so majestic. We had the inn book our horse back riding trip and everything was done for us we just had to go and enjoy. We also had them book in room stone massages for us and it was perfect after our 4 hour horseback ride (my butt hurt bad). I have to tell you the breakfast was the best we have ever experienced anywhere we have traveled. It was the freshed and unique food ever, we especially loved the maple and chili pepper bacon that we had to have it for breakfast and lunch everyday. The bed was so comfortable and we slept awesome. The staff were so nice, relaxed and helpful. It is located in a great spot to get to places easily. I loved this inn so much wish we could go back every year.

Comments