Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast

Corner of Howard & Albion Streets, PO Box 132, Mendocino, California, 95460, United States
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast

We didn't want to leave!!

by TripAdvisor Member LarNLaur

Same as the others. Mitch and Denise run the ultimate B & B (if clean, warm, cozy and "being part of the family" is your style). The nicest, friendliest staff in the world. Really, the low point of our vacation was having to leave their embrace!! Love Mendocino, too.

You've come home at the Headlands......

by TripAdvisor Member FutureCustoms

Just to take a minute, to tell prospective travelers about the Headlands Inn, This made our forth year in Mendocino, and our third stay at the Headlands Inn, We had been traveling to the Monterey/Pacific Grove B&Bs untill we discovered the much quieter, simpler, and dramatic Mendocino coast. The first year we stayed at the Headlands, we were greeted by one of the most wonderfull group of people, who staff the Inn, that we had experienced in any B&B. They take care of all the normal things that you would expect@ directions, recomendations, reservations at the harder to get into resteraunts in the area, history of the area etc. But what you find at the Headlands that was not expected was the feeling that you were family, Mitch and Denise, have created an atmosphere, where you can have total privacy if that is your need all the way to hanging out in the kitchen, like we do waiting for Mitch's hot cookies to come out of the oven so we can get a few with milk.....anouther tradition at the Inn we love is the breakfast is delivered to your room rather than a common dining area, this makes you feel less rushed to get up in the morning, if you like to sleep in. The presentation of the meals is AAA+. I highly recomend spending some time just sitting in the garden in the front yard, with the fountains and the variety of plantings it is a slice of heaven. Take a walk down the main street at night out to Portugese beach and watch the tide come in, or just listen to the power of the ocean, any of the 3 front rooms have a nice view of the ocean, but the back one on top with the windows open will give you the sound of the waves crashing at night.............I guess to sum it up, we had always changed Inns each trip to experience something new, but when we found the Headlands we found that we had come home and the search for the perfect place for us was found, may your stay at the Inn be the begining of many more to come, Oh also before I forget don't forget to write a small note in the books in each room....it's fun to see were each person has come from and their experience...........I will close this as I do my book entry each year.........."we'll be back next year or sooner"......Rhys and Lucy

"HEAD OF THE CLASS"!

Are you up for a treat, you lioke to be pampered, you're looking for a place to enjoy a laid back atmosphere and good company with the Inn Keepers and other Guest as you choose? Look no further no further than t"the headlands Inn B & B! It's easy to find, just two blocks off Highway One, right one block to the corner of Howard & Albion Streets. Location, Location, Location, not more than six blocks of easy walking after you park your car, from most of the major attractions within the village. There you will find a nost delightfull B & B experiennce with your Inn Keepers, Denise, Mitch and their Staff!As for the Inn, their are six delightfull guest rooms and a cottage, all with feather beds and other ammenities depending upon your individual room choice. We chose the Strauss Suite, which has a big bay window overlooking Mendocino Bay and the historic Presbyterian Church, where we could sit at a table, read, people watch, admire the garden, and enjoy the scrumptious breakfast that was served to our suite. Speaking of breakfast, for those of you that have dietary restrictions, your needs, in our case gluten intollerance, will be accomodated. We are planning on returning, perhaps an annual pilgramage!

3 days of bliss

My wife and I stayed at the Headlands Inn in Sep 2005. We hadn't stayed in many B&B's, so we weren't quite sure what to expect. We needn't have worried. From the moment we arrived, we felt very welcome and well cared for. The room (the Patricia Stofle) was spotlessly clean, with a beautiful view of the ocean. The parlour was a cozy place to sit and sip tea in the afternoon, along with delicious cookies. The breakfasts were truly special - made to order, served in our room, with our preferences thoughtfully catered to in an innovative way each morning. The innkeepers (Mitch & Denise) gave us lots of good advice on places to visit and restaurants to eat at around Mendocino. What impressed us the most, though, is the genuine warmth that accompanied the fulfilment of our every request. We just loved our stay there and would like to go back every year!

Perfect B & B experience

If you're looking for a breathtaking view of the water, a breakfast to die for (served in your room), a warm, friendly innkeeping staff, lovely flowers gardens and a beautifully restored inn, all located in a charming town, then the Headlands Inn is the perfect choice. The rates were reasonable and the genuine concern for their guests was a plus.
When we return to California, The Headlands Inn will definately be included in our plans.

Wonderful Memory

by TripAdvisor Member ustravlr

The Headlands Inn was a wonderful experience for us! We loved every minute of our stay, and really weren't ready to leave - even though we had already booked an additional night. I am a detail-oriented person, and I couldn't think of a single thing that the innkeepers left out. We felt like royalty, especially when they brought a heavenly breakfast to our room each morning. Their website is accurate, their hospitality is unmatched, and their bed-and-breakfast is the Best! We will definitely be booking The Headlands Inn on any future trips to Mendocino. By the way, Mendocino is a great little town for those who seek simplicity and respite from the crowds.

Found IT at the Headlands Inn

Being newly 'retired' from my job and not so certain about the future, I allowed myself to be talked into two nights at the Headlands Inn in Mendocino. I had been looking to stay in only chain hotels (Hampton Inn) as I thought they were less expensive.

Imagine my delight when Denise of Headlands Inn helped me discover that my husband and I would have a very delightful stay at this B&B AND, still have vacation dollars left over!

Denise and Mitch own an exceptionally charming B&B. My husband and I have travelled extensively and try to stay in B&Bs whenever possible and this ranks as one of the best. Their breakfasts are enough to last until supper if only because of the delicious memory of the mornings offering!

I have already told my brother and his wife that they must stay here when they visit California in October! And, I'll be back, too!!

What a great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member LorettaNapa_CA

We had a wonderful stay. The B & B is beautifully preserved and decorated. The breakfasts served in our room were "to die for"! Our host and hostess were so friendly and caring..we felt like we knew them after just a couple of nights there. We'll go back and we'll tell our friends we found a new place to stay in Mendocino!
Jim & Loretta McDonald, Napa

Very disappointing

We have stayed at many bed and breakfast inns, and we typically love the charm of old inns. However, we have never been so disappointed and disgusted as we were by the accommodations at the Headlands Inn in Mendocino, CA. After seeing the Headlands Inn first hand, we were so uncomfortable there, that we checked out shortly after we arrived.

After we checked in (on time), we waited in the Parlor for our room to be prepared. While we do acknowledge that the house is nicely decorated, it’s condition is another story. We understand that the house is quite old (as we mentioned, we have stayed in our fair share of old, rustic, bed and breakfast inns). However, the seedy condition of the Inn is truly appalling, considering that this is promoted to be beautifully appointed.

While we waited for our room, we walked through the two open guest rooms flanking the 2nd floor Parlor. These rooms do not live up to their photo’s on the Inn’s website. We were particularly alarmed at the condition of the bathrooms. At that point, we were just hoping that our room would be better. Unfortunately, the Cottage turned out to be even worse.

The Casper Cottage was downright creepy, dark and dismal. The bathroom needed a thorough cleansing. For example, the grout on the bathroom vanity top was black in spots, the “soaking” tub was filthy, the ‘70’s style linoleum floor was fuzzy with filth near the base mouldings, the skylight above the tub was moldy, and the vanity paneling was painted over so many times it was crusty and flaking.

The room itself was not as bad as the bathroom, but it was not nearly as cute and cozy as their website implies. The slipcover on the loveseat needs to be cleaned, as streaks of dirt discolor the fabric. The carpet is dingy. The drywall (or maybe it was wallpaper) is peeling at the corners near the tin tiled ceiling. In short, we absolutely could not face spending the night there.

In conclusion, based on the accommodations alone (as we can’t comment on the breakfast since we did not stay the night) we cannot recommend the Headlands Inn. Their website is very misleading. Please be advised that there is a reason there are no photo’s of the bathrooms on their website. The fact remains that we were so uneasy there, that we could have cared less about the $207 (including tax) that we had already paid, and that was not refundable. We simply had to leave.

We truly do not wish to offend the Innkeepers with this review, as they were very nice over the phone. But we absolutely cannot, in good conscience, recommend this Inn, and subject others travelers to waste their hard-earned money like we did. We feel the need to give the heads up to these readers that there are, in fact, far nicer places to stay in Mendocino for around the same price.

Disappointing "WHAT"?

I have recently read up on the reviews on the Headlands Inn. I was disappointed to read about a recent guests comments. All of her comments were discribed very different from the experience both my husband and I had earlier this year. I cannot imagine that things would have changed in just months! The rooms and Inn were very clean,comfortable and well kept. We have never felt more comfortable staying at a Bed & Breakfast as we have at the Headlands Inn.

I highly recommend visiting this Bed & Breakfast, you will not be disappointed!!!! You will most likely return each year as we have.

- The Luecks

the rugged Northern California Coastthe rugged Northern California Coast

well deserving of state park statuswell deserving of state park status

camping in the redwoods is specialcamping in the redwoods is special

Big River BeachBig River Beach