Mendocino Hotel And Garden Suites

More about Mendocino Hotel And Garden Suites

The Fabulous Mendocino Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SFTravellust

Tripadviser,
My friend and I traveled up the coast from San Franciso, with our dog. We reached Mendocino in the evening and found a fabulous Victorian place to stay, the Mendocino Hotel. The very quaint yellow with white trim hote also accommodates dogs. The staff was very helpful getting us setteled in their Garden Suites. Everthing was clean and didn't smell like dog. The first night we just ate in the bar area. The food was great and people were friendly. Couldn't have had a better time. We stayed an extra night to experience the dinning room filled with beautiful antique furniture and stained glass. The food and wine selection was excellent.

This Hotel was our favorite of the entire trip up the coast. And we were so delighted to find such a wonderful place and a dog haven , as well.

We simply love the Mendocino Hotel.

Happy Dog Owner

We have stayed at the Mendocino Hotel many times and loved it.

by TripAdvisor Member Two_TravelersAntioch

We have stayed in the Mendocino Hotel many times and loved it. There is nothing better than to sit on the hotel upper level porch and just observe. We like to celebrate our anniversaries there.

We also enjoy the food in the hotel, the garden room for breakfast, the dining room for dinner and the bar/lobby area for lunch or dinner. John is a very nice waiter. Karen always serves us well in the garden room. Actually, all the folks who serve at the hotel are very nice and do a great job.

We also like getting two nights for the price of one.
Liz & Bob Hall

Great Food in a Charming Setting

by SteveOSF about The Mendocino Hotel

The Mendocino Hotel was established in 1878. Although still a working hotel, the old Victorian building hosts an elegant restaurant. The interior decor keeps in tune with the era of the building and is very well done and maintained. The food and service were also fantastic. It is an excellent choice for dinner for anyone in the mood for fine dining. It is by far one of the best restaurants in the area. We liked it so much after our first visit that we returned the following night.

Oceanside Charm

by TripAdvisor Member pabloron

Wow - what a cute town. Mendocino Hotel is in the "middle" of the village, close to everything that you could want in Mendocino. The folks at the counter seemed busy, but nice enough, and I loved the sea food.

The BIG 60!

by TripAdvisor Member waterbird

We keep coming back to this special little hotel, here's why:
For my 60th birthday I invited 10 of my friends, brothers, sisters, niece, nephew and former husband to celebrate with dinner and a night at the hotel. The dinner was THE BEST! Wine list, wait staff, dinner, front desk staff, rooms and the special touch of an owner who participates in all aspects of his hotel. We are still talking about out time at the Mendocino Hotel. We will stay no where else in magic Mendocino.

Historic Charm, Centrally Located

by TripAdvisor Member aelita208

We spent Thanksgiving weekend in Mendocino, a Victorian village on the Pacific coast. Built in 1878, the Mendocino Hotel has been beautifully restored and reflects the village history. We stayed in a European style room (number 5) on the second floor. (European style means you get a sink in your room but otherwise bathrooms are shared.) Our room was beautifully decorated, with a very comfortable bed and a shared balcony that gave us a view of the sea. The room was smaller than you find in modern chain hotels, but typical of other historic California inns that retain their original character. The bathrooms were nothing special but there were three within steps of our room - very convenient and we never had to wait.

We enjoyed the welcoming feel of the hotel lobby which has a fireplace and is filled with antique couches and comfortable chairs - perfect for sharing a game of chess or curling up to read a book. We had drinks and small plates at the hotel bar. The food was hearty and the wine delicious and generously poured. The village of Mendocino and beatiful coastal hiking were just outside the door.

We highly recommend the Mendocino Hotel, and find the European style rooms to be among the best bargains in town. We even got a coupon for one night free during the winter season when we checked out. We will definitely be back.

Don't waste your money

by TripAdvisor Member jmhrmt

This was our first stay at the Mendocino Hotel even though we have been to Mendocino numerous times. We expected rooms to be on the smallish side and that the noises would be the creaks of an old building. HOWEVER, the noise came from the loud bar next door. The loud talking, whooping and partying was outside of the bar along side of the hotel. It went into well after 2 am. We called the front desk both nights of our visit. The front desk was not helpful. The police could do nothing as it was disturbing their peace. The hotel never told us that there could be noise to that level neither upon making the reservation nor upon check-in. They could not accommodate changing rooms. The front desk was not sympathetic to our situation. Also, the restaurant's food is very pedestrian. We had a new waiter who was good but had a manager shadowing him throughout. The manager even tried to give us someone else's check while we were still having our first course! Maybe that should have been our clue to seek someplace else to dine.

Bring Earplugs or Stay Elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member travelingloner

I stayed in one of the European-styled rooms with a balcony. What the hotel's web site does not tell you is that at least some of these rooms share a common balcony. So for the two nights I stayed here, two dozen family members, including screaming children under five years of age, partied on the balcony till 2:00 AM.

Also, the walls were thin enough to suffer through hearing a couple having bored sex. Hey, folks do what they do. But if they know they're gonna get it on, make a reservation for a more private room. And if there are no such rooms and they're stuck in a less preferable room, they should at least entertain their neighbors and not sound bored during sex. Sheesh....

I was finishing work on my laptop and was interrupted by this couple. I ended up blasting the song, "Rented Rooms," by the Tindersticks from my laptop at our shared wall, and they finally shut up. They moved out later that morning and were replaced by - surprise! - a family with a screaming kid.

Otherwise, the front desk agents were helpful, with one getting me checked into my room and seated at one of the restaurants at the last minute before its closing. The shared bathrooms were clean for the most part (If you want to use the showers right after cleaning, shower after 3:30 PM). The room I stayed in was clean but in need of "updating." I'm not sure if the housekeeping staff replaces the white terry robes that are provided in the rooms. I didn't touch my dusty robe.

I wouldn't recommend the Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites for solo travelers on a getaway or travelers without earplugs. I'm staying elsewhere in my future trips to this area.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member 24thStreet

The hotel was welcoming not only they style but also the staff. When we checked into our room the front desk staff called us by name once we recieved our room key. Which they have an actual key, not one of those plastic cards.

The room was large and newly renovated, plus the bed was comfortable.

We ate at the restaurant and the service and food was great. The waitress was knowlageble about the food and wine.

I cannot wait to return.

My favorite place in Mendocino, California

by TripAdvisor Member jacksondlz

What a wonderful place and a great bargain! You can go really cheap with shared bathrooms, which are immaculate and HUGE or you can go all out to an entire cottage. In any event, this place is fantastic. The staff are tremendous. The decorating includes authentic Tiffany lamps and beautiful windows, cozy lobby seating for intimate conversations or group get-togethers. We like the "pub food"....meatloaf; fish and chips, etc. Cozy, warm and no complaints. Staff is courteous and ON THE BALL! No long waits for room service here and the food is HOT when it arrives. A common balcony overlooking one of the prettiest coasts in the world allows you to eat breakfast while enjoying the majesty of the sea. It's a great place that is a head and shoulders about any of the Bed and Breakfasts in the area. Trust me....we have been to several other places in Mendocino.

The Mendocino HotelThe Mendocino Hotel

cool ocean breezes make it a great place to livecool ocean breezes make it a great place to live

the Columbus with a few tastersthe Columbus with a few tasters

Dick’s PlaceDick’s Place