Tam Valley Bed and Breakfast

508 Shasta Way, Mill Valley, California, 94941, United States

More about Mill Valley

Waterfalls along Steep Ravine Hiking TrailWaterfalls along Steep Ravine Hiking Trail

San Francisco BaySan Francisco Bay

Steep Ravine Hiking TrailSteep Ravine Hiking Trail

So many choices!So many choices!

Travel Tips for Mill Valley

Some of the Mill Valley views

by jessicadf

Many of the Mill Valley homes are situated at the base of, or crawling up Mount Tamalpais, though of course there are homes in the valleys, themselves. An interesting point of fact is that streets for the hill homes are almost all very old, very narrow and filled with pot-holes. Funny, as the cost of a CHEAP house in Mill Valley (i.e. one that needs to be torn down and then you can rebuild on the lot) would easily cost you $500,000us (if not more). Expensive real estate with terrible roads. I don't know. I'm fond of it, since I've grown up with it. But look at the views of a median-priced home.

Walk along the Tennessee Valley Trail

by jessicadf

One of my favorite walks. This is within the first half mile, where it's paved (for emergency vehicles). Not much farther towards the beach, the road becomes a trail. The trail ends at Tennessee Valley Beach, which is beautiful and wild and not somewhere you'd go swimming unless you had a death wish.

This path was a favorite of my granny's, so we walked it together from time to time.

Mill Valley - A little gem

by swissfondue

"Sleeping among the Redwoods."

I wanted to stay close to Muir Woods National Monument and my research led me to the historic town of Mill Valley.

In a word this town is gorgeous with so much going for it aside from its proximity to downtown San Francisco. Mill Valley is located on the eastern slope of Mt Tamalpais and is a short commute from SF but charmingly has all the atmosphere of a country town with all the amenities of a more urban area.

I imagine this is because Mill Valley is a haven for those working each day in the city. It offers the best of both worlds. Tranquil location and small town feel but with upmarket restaurants, wine cellars, art galleries and boutique shopping.

Oh.. and the Redwood forest is right on the doorstep and the stunning beaches of Marin Headland a short drive away. This town is a jewel. I hope it stays that way at least until I have the opportunity to visit again someday.

Talkin' 'Bout Mill Valley

by karenincalifornia

"The Town That Spawned a Hit Song"

If you are as old as I am, the mention of "Mill Valley" may remind you that once, long, long ago, there was a hit song called "Mill Valley" sung by some elementary school kids. The song was written by Rita Abrams, a kindergarten teacher at Strawberry Point Elementary School in the Mill Valley Elementary School District. She then recorded it with the 4th grade class at Strawberry Point. The song went on to become a nationwide hit.

If I were a visitor to Marin County, California, I think Mill Valley would be my favorite Marin town. It has a charming town center with cute boutique shops and fun bistros and cafes. It's only minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge. To the west are hundreds of miles of hiking trails. Muir Woods, with its beautiful redwood forest is just over the hills on the western side of the town.

As a resident of Marin County, I enjoy coming to Mill Valley for the world reknown Mill Valley Film Festival, the stunning hiking trails and the fantastic restaurants. Mill Valley also has an excellent city attorney!

Talkin' Bout Mill Valley

by Karnubawax

"Home of the "Marin County Hot Tubbers""

While I was born in Concord, MA, and have lived in San Francisco since '87, Mill Valley is my hometown.

My family moved here when I was 3 and I lived here 'till I was 16, when a parents' remarriage moved us to Novato. Now, Novato is a nice place, but it ain't Mill Valley.

There might be a couple of reasons why this little town of around 15,000 sounds familiar. A group of school kids recorded a song in the 60's that briefly made the pop charts. The chorus was "Talkin' bout Mill Valley, Talkin bout Mill Valley, California, that's my hoooome...." In 1974, a local girl broke the gender barrier and became the first female to officially play in Little League (after a judge ordered them to let her in). Mill Valley was also the home of the fictional B.J. Honeycutt (played by Mike Farrell) from the TV series "MASH."

Mill Valley is most famous - or infamous - for being the epicenter of 70's bohemia... made famous in Cyril McFadden's "Serial." The whole peacock feather, hot tub, swinger, cocaine and TM thing. But an even earlier example of Mill Valley's bohemian ways started back in 1892, when a group of industrialists and society's elite took over a part of Muir Woods - and called it "Bohemian Grove." The Bohemian Grove as it's known today moved to the Russian River shortly thereafter.

Mill Valley is still, more than ever, a place of immense wealth - Marin County ranks consistently as having the highest real estate prices in the USA. But the priveleged could not have chosen a better spot... only 15 minutes from San Francisco at the base of Mt. Tamalpais.

Mill Valley is surrounded by the Golden Gate National Recreation Area - commonly referred to as the GGNRA. This is one of the most beautiful areas in the USA. Included here are Muir Woods National Monument and Mount Tamalpais. The Marin Headlands has some of the most awesome scenic vistas of any place on Earth. If that weren't enough, the Point Reyes National Seashore is only a short drive away.

I may be biased, but I believe a trip to San Francisco is not complete without spending a day in the natural environs of southern Marin County, and most guide books agree with me. You will be amazed at the scenery, and doubly amazed that it's only a few minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge!

Comments