3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• domerta's Profile Photo

Home away from home

I loved the individual styled rooms. Mine was quaint, warm and very comfortable. The hotel was centrally located right on the entrance of downtown with access to anything you could possibly want. I had a great sandwich and salad across the street at a eclectic deli that was absolutly delicious. The people at Casa Munras were sweet and very welcoming, willing to do whatever I needed to make my stay comfortable.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Stay at a hacienda in Monterey

We stayed at the Casa Munras on our first and only visit to Monterey. A historic landmark in the heart of Monterey, it was built in 1824 by Don Esteban Munras, colonial Spain's last envoy to California. The Casa served as the center of his 20,000 acre Rancho San Vicente and today the original hacienda is part of the Casa's main building.
    There are a variety of suites and rooms which feature cozy accents such as comforters, shutters and in many, fireplaces.
    The heated outdoor courtyard pool is surrounded by lush gardens and the early California architecture recaptures the romance of Mission days.
    I would definitely recommend a stay at the Casa Munras. There is a warm and friendly service here whether it's the crackling fireplace that greets you in the morning going to breakfast or the hospitality of the staff. We really enjoyed our visit.

Unique Quality: Delightful dining can be had in the Casa Cafe & Bar. Here too there is a fireplace that greets you and warms up chilly mornings. We had their wonderful croissant French Toast both mornings that we stayed there.
    What a treat!

Directions: In the heart of Old Monterey on Munras Avenue near Fremont. From the south, exit Highway 1 at Munras Avenue; from the north, exit at Fremont Avenue.

More about Casa Munras, A Larkspur Hotel

Dirty Underwear in Casa Munras

My parents paid for my new husband and I to stay at Casa Munras as part of our honeymoon in Monterey. Soon after checking into the room, I went into the bathroom, and to my dismay I was surprised to see a pair of worn underwear in the corner on the floor. Though the staff moved us to another room, and apologized, my stay was already "stained". Also, please be aware that the staff offered no other compensation, (not even a complimentary gift ) to us. I won't return to Casa Munras.

Breathtaking

by TripAdvisor Member AustraliaBarb

Stayed at Casa Munras in Monterey in Sept this year. Staff were great, the location is excellant.There is so much to do in this beautiful city. Our one regret was that we didn't have more time.

Motel, not a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Berggericht

Casa Munras is a basically a motel lokking like a hotel. We stayed1 night in a clean and quite room (quite probably because out of season). No negative comments but alos no breathtaking highlights. Bathroom had a poor ventilation resulting in a steamy climate

Heads Up to Non Smokers

by TripAdvisor Member DickandJane

I stayed at the Casa Munras about a year ago, and all told, everything was fine. I just made a reservation for a trip in October, and asked for a non-smoking room and was told that they "did not guarantee non-smoking rooms".

I've never heard of such a thing, and I've traveled a fair amount. I am very allergic to smoke, and even though I made my reservation, I am thinking twice about this and considering changing to another hotel, as a bad reaction to the air in a bad room could really ruin my trip.

Am not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, but you have breathing problems, you might want to investigate this further.

Great location but small!

We stayed at the Casa Munras for five days during the Sea Otter Classic. The location is perfect, walking distance to downtown and Fisherman's Wharf ( about a 15 minute walk to Cannery Row ). It's convenient to a Denny's and a two gas stations as well as a supermarket ( skip the Denny's, there are better palces to eat downtown ) .

The staff was very nice and helpful and referred us to several great places to eat as well as provided us with detailed maps and directions to the Sea Otter Event.

The cons, very small narrow parking lot. We had to go the wrong way down the one-way parking rows because our full-size truck was too big for the sharp turning. One neighbor had a long-bed, huge, Ford 350 and had to park it across several lengths of parking spots since it would otherwise block the entire driveway.

Also, our room was small, cozy and very clean - just the most awful color of pink salmon sponge paint...that's right, pink. salmon. sponge. paint.

excellent experience and value

i dont have anything bad to say about this hotel - only good things. i am pleasantly suprised at the value/cleanliness/roominess/decor of this beautiful hotel situated in a cozy garden setting. the room looked great, the service was prompt, courteous, and efficient, and the location was close to the heart of monterey. a few blocks of walking gets you to a free trolley service which will take you anywhere you want to go in the city. the room was quiet and the king sized bed was comfortable. even the TV was new and the hotel offered many cable channels to choose from. the walk in shower and separate bathtub were very relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. I highly recommend this hotel, and would not hesitate to stay here again when I return to Monterey.

Casa Munras Hotel & EstebanCasa Munras Hotel & Esteban

Monterey Hotel Question

by yoyosh

Hi
My girlfriend and I are planning a long weekend trip to Monterey in early October. There are soooo many hotels/bed & breakfasts in town I was hoping for some advice. Can anyone reccomend a good moderately priced place to stay for 3 nights? We'd like something that's a good location for walking, but would also like to stay for under $250/night. Thanks in advance!

by YVRDave

The Monterey Plaza is a favourite of mine. The 12t-14th is $240

by Magdalenka_G

Check out the Travelzoo.com, they are running now a "Summer Splash" promotion on B&B Package at Casa Munras Hotel and the price is $129 a night (http://hotels.travelzoo.com/california-hotels/309730). We have booked there for one night on our SF-LA road trip this month. The hotel lobby is undergoing some renovation now, but they have very good reviews.

by Magdalenka_G

Now that I see, the promotion is no longer valid for your dates, but the prices they have for October are still within your range, so you might consider staying there. We can let you know next month how it was for us!

also

by yoyosh

Thanks guys! While I've got your attention do you reccomend any of the whale watching companies? We've been on whale watching cruises in Alaska and would like to do another while in Monterey. Which whales are possible to see in October?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
we are just back home from California and, as promised, I am writing you my impressions: well, Casa Munras was fine, clean, with an outdoor pool, good breakfast and free parking. The construction works should be over when you go there, so it will look much prettier than now. The rooms are very small, however, and there was some smell due to humidity, so unless they do sth about it you will have to live with that.

Actually, there are several "travel coupons" booklets available from either visitor centres or street newspaper stands that can give you really good prices on overnight stays at some good motels, but also better hotels for really good prices. You might want to check them out! Try the http://www.roomsaver.com/ - we have successfully used the paper version of Room Saver while in California.

Take care!