3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• cmimmel's Profile Photo

Great location, very clean

Unique Quality: Fireplaces in the rooms, outdoor pool and spa, safes and fridges in the room.

More about Sand Dollar Inn

Great location, very clean

by cmimmel about Hotel Abrego

We stayed at Hotel Abrego in Monterey. It was relatively inexpensive but very nice and clean. Great location in center of Monterey with easy access to downtown and to Hwy 1. Fireplaces in the rooms, outdoor pool and spa, safes and fridges in the room.

New Decor - Excellant

by TripAdvisor Member GAPChicago_IL

I have stayed at the Sand Dollar Inn many times in the past and I was very impressed with all the new changes. It will continue to be my choice in Monterey. Great Value for the money.

Unbelievably stylish and beautiful room for the money

by TripAdvisor Member Theant2008

Even though it's in the motel (two story, outside stairs, park outside) mode, the room blew my mind. Could have been a Parador in Barcelona or something. Beautiful (and functionally excellent) bathroom, incredible attention to detail at every level, great lighting, beautiful furniture and work space (brand new Herman Milller or similar chair), one of the best beds I've ever slept in. Super clean. Bathrobes, i-pod player, great wi fi, If I'd had this room in a $400 a night resort I would have been totally happy. Convenient for freeway and downtown. Someone with a great sense of style did these rooms. I don't know if the "old" rooms are at anything like the same level. Only one gripe - no radio. I want my NPR.

Very nice but few problems

by TripAdvisor Member deesea

Pros: Cleanest and largest room for $135 (Saturday) I ever had. It had a fireplace and a deck.
Cons: Keep hearing creaking bed from room above and smell of burnt breakfast came into our room (1077). Too bad the LCD TV is analog (no digital signal).

Superb Hotel for the Money

by TripAdvisor Member Lyndonm

We booked this on the internet some months before. When we arrived it had changed hands, been refurbished and we were its firsts customers! We got a beautiful room for the money, the staff were helpful and apologetic about how little they knew! Buffet breakfast was fine, coffee good. If you can get a deal here the rooms and bathrooms in particular are truly exceptional.

Make sure you get a renovated room

by TripAdvisor Member DavidKlein

Some of the rooms are nicely updated. Ours was not. Make sure and request a newer room. Also, no matter what room you are in -- this hotel is noisy (doors slamming, voices in hallway and outside, other toilets flushing!) A good value for the money (this room was a gift) but I wouldn't stay here again.

Beautiful Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member alvarado67

My family and I stayed at this hotel over Labor day weekend. The hotel has recently been remodeled and the rooms were beautiful. The hotel staff was very helpful with all of our questions and quick to respond when we needed an item for our room. There were only two restaurants in the immediate area. But when we asked the front desk they gave us great recommendations and a small magazine with several restaurants within close driving distance.

The hotel itself is too far away from Cannery Row and the Aquarium to walk. However ask the front desk about the free trolley service, which has a pick-up about 3 blocks away. It makes getting back and forth so much easier.

One other tip. If you plan on going to the aquarium get the ticket package through the hotel. The tickets are good for two days entrance and you don't have to wait in line. You can go right in through the members/ticket holder entrance. Instead of standing in line for an hour on labor day we walked straight in with no lines.

Overall this was a great place to stay and I would stay here again.

New! AC in the rooms, Priced right, and perfectly located.

by TripAdvisor Member Monterey21

Two weeks young, the Abrego stands out from all the others. We stayed three nights, extending our original plans by two days. AC, fireplace, down pillow top bed, it was very comfortable. Sam at the front desk was very accommodating as was Eric and Amy. Perfectly located to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The Wild Plum was great for a local breakfast eatery and was just across the street. We will definitely be coming back to the Abrego! :)

Great amenities, poor infrastructure, but willing to give them another shot.

by TripAdvisor Member Epidocs

We visited Monterey to celebrate our wedding anniversary, which fell over the Labor Day weekend. Our room was well appointed--kudos on their renovation. There were, however, some shortcomings. [1] We did not have any hot water in the bathroom. This was a major inconvenience. We waited in vain past 11pm for the water to heat up but ended up taking a cold shower so we could get to sleep in time. I understand there was a Labor Day rush, but we'd expect a hotel of this caliber to have adequate reserve to handle a full house. [2] The lack of central air conditioning and ventilation were another point against the Abrego. [3] While we appreciated the free wireless internet, we could not receive a signal in our room (3203). [4] Finally, we were surprised by the amount of sound that travels between the (unexpectedly thin) walls. We could hear the TV in the room above us as well as the sounds of guests passing by the front of our room.

Despite these shortcomings, we'd stay again (albeit during a less crowded time) given the price we paid ($170 after tax).

Awesome

by TripAdvisor Member SkipRowe

We have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years and it is just beautiful since the re-model. It is in walking distance of some great night clubs and the beach.

Comments