300 Pacific Street, Monterey, California, 93940, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Hotels in Downtown Monterey

I have not stayed in downtown Monterey, but I spend a lot of time here. The downtown area ("Old Monterey") has just five hotels, all very close together, so location shouldn't be a factor if deciding between these accommodations. Furthermore, most of the cool things to see and do in Monterey are within walking distance from downtown (with the aquarium being farthest away at perhaps one mile).

The Hotel Pacific, on Pacific Street, is probably the best value of all downtown hotels. All rooms are suites, and the prices range from about $150 to $450 per night. This hotel is a little more secluded and quieter than the others, but just across the street from the Portolo Plaza Hotel. The Hotel pacific was built in 1985 and has just 105 rooms.

Portolo Plaza, formerly the Doubletree Hotel, has 369 rooms ranging in price from $230 to $400 per night. This hotel is located among the shops of Alvarado and within sight of Fisherman's Wharf. The Portolo Plaza boasts Monterey's only microbrewery: Peter B's. Built in 1975.

Monterey Marriott has 319 rooms on 10 floors from $220 to $375. It is located on Calle Principal, also just across the street from the Portolo Plaza, and has downtown's only true sports bar called Characters. On the same site once stood the San Carlos Hotel, built in the early 1920s, demolished in the 1980s, and the tallest building in town.

The Monterey Hotel is a historic building right along Alvarado Street, which is Monterey's main street. Constructed in 1904, it was renovated in the 1990s. Its 45 rooms range from $100 to less than $200 per night, an awesome deal for this prime location! In 2006 it was announced that the hotel would expand to the empty lot to the south, adding 25 rooms, new retail space, and other features to ensure the hotel lasts another 100 years!

Merritt House Inn has rooms ranging from $140 to $170 and is located right downtown across the street from the Marriott.

Directions: These hotels are all located within 2 blocks of Alvarado Street, within about 100 yards from each other.

• helmuts's Profile Photo

The nicest hotel is the Hotel...

The nicest hotel is the Hotel Pacific
    Check with the hotel about prices, Accommodation in Monterey are on the expensive side.

Unique Quality: Court yards and spacious feeling instead of the hotel-room-boxed-in-routine

More about Hotel Pacific

Loved Hotel Pacific!

by TripAdvisor Member koolkerry

I would highly recommend the Hotel Pacific. My husband and I stayed here for three nights while we were on our honeymoon. The hotel lobby is adorable and quaint. The staff were all so friendly- congratulating us on our marriage.

The room was great- we had one on the fourth floor. The gas fireplace was perfect for the chilly nights (chilly for us!) and the bathroom was quite large. The bed is perhaps one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on.

The breakfast and the afternoon teas were both great as well.

The staff were so sweet too- they sent us a bottle of champagne and some fruit and cheese to our room. Everytime we walked in the lobby, the staff greeted us and asked how our trip was going.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to all of our friends and family. We also hope to come back one day!

quaint hotel

by TripAdvisor Member netflyer

I am so glad we canceled our reservations at the Hyatt in Monterey after reading the comments here. The Hotel Pacific was great. It is a quaint hotel close to the wharf. The room was wonderful we especially liked the little family room with fireplace and the little dining area and of course the feather beds. The picture we saw though did make the room look a little bigger then what it really was but that was okay.The courtyards were beautiful and the continental breakfast was a nice touch too. We never made it down for afternoon tea though. I just wish they had another hot tub and maybe a little bit larger. But I would stay here again without a doubt.

Just a great hotel

Spent 2 nights here in July, 2004 and wished we could have stayed a lot longer. My wife and I loved everything about this hotel. Very roomy suite with a fireplace and a very warm, romantic feel. Read from other reviews about the mattresses and they are as comfortable as touted. Staff at the hotel was very friendly and very informative whenever we had questions about the area. Complimentary continental breakfast was much nicer than the norm, and the complimentary afternoon tea and cheese was a very nice touch. Location is excellent -- close to wharf and downtown stores and a short scenic walk to the cannery row. Can't wait for our next opportunity to stay at the Hotel Pacific.

Loved it!

We spent 4 nights in Monterey at the Hotel Pacific. A staff member greeted us immediately upon arrival and had us checked-in quickly. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is beautiful. We stayed in the family unit and had plenty of space. Rooms were clean and the beds wonderful. This room is street side, but we had no trouble with noise. It is close to everything we wanted to see. We parked our car and walked or rode bikes to all our destinations - including Pebble Beach. My husband and I enjoyed wine and cheese each afternoon in the garden. The breakfast was quite good and got us off to a good start each day. We would not hesitate to book a room here again in the future.

Best Bed in Monterey

by TripAdvisor Member tammigop

I love this place. The attention to detail and personal check-in service is wonderful. The greatest thing about this place- the BED. So unbelievably comfy. Much better than the standard hotel bed, and for not much more $$. Love the suite set-up, and I've always stayed on the street-side, its not noisy at all. The fireplace is wonderful, and the wet bar is a wonderful touch. Wish we could stay longer. Hot tubs are very convenient as well. A+!!

Very Cozy, Great place to stay, close to Monterey Aquarium!!

Great place to stay, loved how the room felt more like an apartment,
than just a hotel room.

-Positives-
*Very cozy rooms, large enough to move around and not feel stuffy.

*Beds are definitely soft and comfortable. Sleeping no problem. A++ in this category.

*Staff courteous and helpful. Everytime I asked for something or just had a question about the local area, they treated me as if I was a friend, than just a customer.

*Would recommend this place to my friends and family. It was just that good.

*Overnight Parking was affordable for $14 a night, compare to my stay in San Francisco which was $30 a night.

*Continental Breakfast was good... simple, quick, and tastey. Hot tea/coffee in the room was great...I felt more like at home, than just a hotel.

-Negatives-
*Bathroom door was awkward. Would have preferred a more modern door of some sort.

Not so restful

by TripAdvisor Member Stella

I think this hotel must have a Dr. Jerkyl & Mr. Hyde syndrome. I booked the hotel and stayed there December 2003 based on the strength of the recommendations.

Unfortunately for us our stay was a very noisy and uncomfortable one. It was so uncomfortable we decided to leave one day earlier and face an 8 hour drive in order to sleep in our own beds at home in peace instead. We had a unit on the lower floors. Even late into the night we can hear people rolling luggages across the ceramic tile floors outside or kids running that kept us up all night.

We are a family of three, and while the unit was big there was a lot of wasted space and kind of crowded with too much furniture crammed in. Since they don't have a sofabed we have to take 2 double beds, which was not very comfortable considering we have a King bed at home (and we are normal sized!) Don't think the featherbed is any more comfortable than a good quality pillowtop bed - it's really more a matter of what you are used to at home.

The continental breakfast is OK. Not much to eat if you want to avoid carbs. The Aveda bath products were good as usual, and so was the little handmade bath soap (tried to buy - sold out - front desk never called back with info - so much for customer service).

The site advertised the nearness to the aquarium. It was a good 25 minute walk and a bit cold in December. The hotel is right in downtown Monterey though and that area has some interesting shops and close to a good patisserie. It's also about a 20-25 minute walk to the Dennis the Menance playground for those with kids (better idea to drive)

In summary, this hotel seems to cater to couples looking for romantic experiences (ask for a quieter location). Families should look elsewhere - we will try the Marriott or the Embassy Suites in the future.

Nice staff, great location

My boyfriend and I stayed for a weekend in November 2003. The staff was friendly and efficient. We had a street-side room, but didn't hear any street noise. However, we could hear EVERY footstep of the people in the room above us. The room was large with a nice layout, but it could probably use a renovation very soon. There was a nice working fireplace, wet bar, and small dining table with chairs. The bed was super comfortable with carpeting only around the bed area. Overall, it was a nice place to stay, but I would get a room upstairs.

Comments