Monterey Hotels

Our Members Say

• littlecountry profile photo littlecountry
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Marina Dunes Resort: worst place ever

Booked a trip for our annaversary. Room 711 I called to confirm before we left. Arrived four hours later only to find out they gave our room away. They said we did not book a room. They were so rude to us. We left and stayed at Dolphin Bay much nicer staff. Much nicer place. The next day I called to talk to the manager but he wouldn't listen to any thing I had to say. When we got home from our excellant trip to Dolphin Bay I found out They charged my credit card for the room we did not stay in. How bad is that.Do your self a favor don't book at this place.Your nightmares will only begin. I will never recommend this place to any of my family or friends.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 2, 2010

Monterey Hotel (Alvarado St) - Old Monterey

he Monterey Hotel is in a historic building right along Alvarado Street, at the heart of downtown Monterey. Constructed in 1904, it was renovated in the 1990s. Its 45 rooms range from $100 to less than $200 per night, an awesome deal for this prime location! In 2006 it was announced that the hotel would expand to the empty lot to the south, adding 25 rooms, new retail space, and other features to ensure the hotel lasts another 100 years!

The inside of this hotel is decorated with a classy variety of antique furnishing, wooden shutters, cool mirrors, and wooden trim to create the atmosphere of an old European inn. This is certainly a one of a kind hotel in Monterey!

• Written September 20, 2007

Monterey Hotels at Laguna Grande/Del Monte/Hwy 1

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay-Seaside - This is the largest and nicest of the existing hotels on the Monterey/Seaside line near the beach. 225 rooms on 12 floors with a view over Roberts Lake to the Bay. Includes conference facilities, indoor pool, and on-site restaurants. Rates from $150-233 a night in the off season and some summer rates go as high as $300 to $460 on weekends.

Best Western Beach Resort Monterey - This is the only Monterey hotel directly on the nice, sandy Del Monte Beach.

La Quinta Inn Monterey - The newest of the hotels, it has just 49 rooms on three floors overlooking Roberts Lake. $165-185 in the off season and $180-$200 in the summer.

Holiday Inn Express at Monterey Bay - This 143-room, is one of the older hotels in this hotel cluster, and it has some of the cheapest rates at $120-150 a night in the off season and $200-$230 in the summer.

New Hotels:
Plans were announced in summer 2007 for two new hotels in the same area. A group led by former MLB player and Monterey resident Reggie Jackson is building a hotel known as the Amador 44 project. Located across the street from the Embassy Suites, it will have 252 rooms and a conference center. A smaller family hotel is now under discussion for the site next to the Holiday Inn Express.

This area is practical for those wanting beach and trail access, nice hotels, a cheaper rate, and easy Highway 1 access, but no easy walking access to downtown or Cannery Row. Great for bikers or runners who will enjoy the trail that runs past each of these hotels. This area has a few small, local restaurants plus a Chili's, Roberts Lake Park and Laguna Grand Park, and is walking distance to Seaside City Hall.

• Written August 31, 2007

Embassy Suites and the moon from Cannery Row

• ChadSteve1975 profile photo ChadSteve1975
  • Reviews: 258

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostelling International Monterey: Say Hi to the Hostel in Monterey

I was staying in Monterey as a part of my west coast sweep of backpacking.

The hostel itself is up the end of Monterey near the Aquarium just off the main street.

It has a ridiculous amount of car parking for such a small building.

The Hostel is a strictly family affair and hence has some unusual and absurd rules for what a normal travellers hostel would expect. Partly I believe because they can't afford to hire staff, partly because they don't want to cater to the younger, individual backpacker type traveler.

Rules of the hostel include:
1. There is a strict 1am curfew. If you are not inside the hostel your access card will not work and you'll have to find your own place to sleep the night. This is absurd and I would like to think Hosteling International association of hostels will work with the owners to encourage it to change. Access cards are issued and hence I can't see a reason to cut off access.

2. Check in is between 5pm and 10pm. Sure not unusual to have a cutoff at night but these guys were strict. No check in of bags during the day. Early arrivals can check luggage into lockers which are outside the hostel, although new arrivals would hardly know that this access exists. The owners were understanding when I came to check in allowing me to check in just after 10pm having called them once my bus was 3hrs behind schedule. Check out is 10am.

the hostel facilities are decent. The lounge area is great and relaxing.

Free wireless internet. A big plus for the backpacker.

The hostel mainly caters to families. Therefore be prepared to share the room with Dad and sons, or mother and daughter, right down to smaller children. I'm not sure whether there is a family room but understandably strict sex segregation persists if they are not in such a private room to themselves.

The hostel does have a great discount deal with a bike company down in the main tourist area. The discount is 10% on what is already the cheaper bike hire place.

The local bus station is a mere 1 minute walk from the hostel around the corner. This then connects to Salinas which is where the Greyhound bus stops. The local bus connection is $4.25 and goes until about 10:20pm.

As mentioned the management is a bit insane on the 'curfew'. Where else would a tourist be told they can't go out for a late dinner or out for a night while on holidays. The clubs in the area close at 1am anyway so there is hardly a need for this draconian restriction.

The curfew and target market also works against the social interaction of the hostel. There are no group activities organised to encourage interaction or assist tourism.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Aquarium, Backpacking
  • Written August 30, 2007
Tip Photo

The hostel facilities are clean and decent

• semo2 profile photo semo2
  • Reviews: 1

Tradewinds Carmel Hotel: Great luxury hotel in Carmel

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Tradewinds Carmel Hotel on our recent trip to the Monterey Peninnsula. Normally we stay in Monterey, but the Tradewinds is only about five minutes from Monterey, and Carmel is such a nice place to explore the area from. The hotel is very beautiful, and the service is great. The rooms are very luxurious, and they are designed in an Asian theme that is very pleasant. Our room had an ocean view. The beds were magnificent, and the breakfast served in the morning was delightful. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the Monterey area.

Some of the outstanding qualities of the Tradewinds Carmel Hotel are the ocean views, fantastis beds, wonderful breakfast, and ralaxing, romantic Asian-themed decor.

• Related to: Travel with Pets, Luxury Travel
  • Written February 9, 2007

Cannery Row Area Hotels

I haven't stayed at any of these places, but I post them to give a rough idea of location, price, & amenities. These are all no more than 2-3 blocks from Cannery Row.

The InterContinental The Clement Monterey Hotel is the newest and fanciest hotel of the bunch. It has some 189 rooms and 19 suites, with fireplaces and ocean views in the vast majority of rooms. The also have the tasty, but expensive C Restaurant and an outdoor pool. Regular rooms range from $170 to about $500 a night and suites go for $900 to $1400 a night.

The Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa seems to be the cream of the crop along Cannery Row. Beautiful outdoor dining over the bay, easy access to the small beaches, a short walk to the restaurants and shops on Cannery Row. Room rates in the summer start around $200; for a bay view, expect to pay $150-$200 more a night!

The Spindrift Inn is right up there with the Monterey Plaza as a beautiful & expensive place on Cannery Row with all rooms overlooking the water. It's in the heart of Cannery Row's shops & restaurants. Rooms start at $170 on a weeknight in the summer; weekend rates begin around $270.

The Monterey Bay Inn is located next to the Monterey Plaza near San Carlos Beach. Though it's as expensive as the Plaza at about $200 per night in the summer, it doesn't offer the extra touches like outdoor dining over the bay.

The Victorian Inn is a few streets off the water in a 3-story Victorian mansion. Though it might sound like a B&B, it's actually a Best Western with 68 rooms, partly in a modern hotel. Summer rates are between $200 and $250.

The Holiday Inn Express Cannery Row is one of the cheapest hotels in the area ranging from $150 to $200 per night in the summer, but it is just a block from the water. This would be my pick along Cannery Row.

The Otter Inn & Cannery Row Inn are the two best bets for this area's so-called "budget accommodations." Summertime room rates start at about $150. They seem like decent hotels and they are still in the heart of Cannery Row. If you are worried about location and price, these places might be the best compromise.

Budget accommodations for world travelers saving every dime? Try the Monterey Hostel with rooms for just $20 a night for Hosteling International members & $23 a night for non members. Oops. Did I say rooms? Make that dormitory-style bunk beds in an open bay.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written February 7, 2007

Monterey Plaza, Cannery Row

• rsilva profile photo rsilva
  • Reviews: 306

El Dorado Inn: A very nice experience

For part of our stay, we decided to go for a cheaper accommodation option, so that meant moving away from the Fisherman's wharf and the center.
As there was an event (I think it was the marathon), almost all hotels were full or grossly overcharging.
We found this place which was only 5 minutes away (walking) from Alvarado, which is downtown Monterey and about 10-15 minutes away from the Wharf.

The advantages of staying in this place were:
- Free parking
- Convenient supermarket open until 21.00 just 2-3 minutes away
- Much cheaper rate only 5 minutes away from downtown

Well, about the hotel... the rooms were OK in terms of size, beds were not too comfortable, TV was small, shower gel and shampoo were poor quality and breakfast was quite poor ("Danish" pastry, orange juice, coffee and tea).

However, this was a very nice experience. Why? Because of the owner. An older gentleman, who looked very serious and unfriendly, but would occasionally come up with a great smile when he saw us - that was worth it all. Sometime we would pick up breakfast late (you get it on a tray and eat in your room) and there would be very little left. He would call us up in the room saying there was more if we wanted.

I enjoyed my stay here more than the one in the Portola Plaza, which is luxurious, but very "impersonal". Here it was more "real".

We paid about $90 per night, which is very little considering the prices of other places in the area. Room rates are from $45 to $215. Check the "unique qualities" below more the extra goodies you get here.

Free wireless internet
Free local calls
Fireplaces in some rooms
Friendliness once you get to know the owner :)
Close to downtown

• Written November 4, 2006
Tip Photo

• newsphotogirl profile photo newsphotogirl
  • Reviews: 168

Seven Gables Inn: Room With A View

The nicest bed and breakfast. We decided to splurge on the Cypress Room which according to the photos on the website had a panoramic view of the water. We were not dissapointed. The view and the room was spectacular. The inn itself was beautiful. This was definately a splurge for us, the rooms are not cheap but we got five star service our entire stay. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. They offer breakfast of course, wine and horsd'oeuvres served from 5-6 and fresh cookies and milk available from 8-9:30 nightly. They also offer coffee, tea, and water all day from 7am until 9:30pm. Back to the room. We had window seats to sit and read and people watch. We left the windows open at night and could hear the seals calling out in the distance.

The Inn is in a great location across from Lover's Point. Right across from the Seven Gables is a walking/bike riding path. I stopped at one of the many benches along the path to watch the seals lounging on the rocks. You can easily walk to Cannery Row and the Monterey Aquarium. I believe there is a trolley that will take you as well.

I can't recommend this inn enough.

• Written September 26, 2006

The main house

• DEY profile photo DEY
  • Reviews: 30

Centrella Inn: Monterey Bed & Breakfast

If you like bed & breakfast accomadations, this is a great one to stay at. I would stay again!

The breakfast is wonderful.

• Related to: Photography, Hiking and Walking, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written March 20, 2005

A great place to stay!

• different profile photo different
  • Reviews: 31

Monterey Beach Hotel: One of The Most Famous Hotel In Monterey,

Since I am a Clint Eastwood fan:),and he praises Monterey always,Monterey has caught my eyes and finally i did it,loved the place,area,even the people:)

The hotel I stayed in was convenient,clean and most important of all,with a fantastic view.

• Related to: Family Travel, Theme Park Trips
  • Written March 2, 2005

• IceBear7 profile photo IceBear7
  • Reviews: 500

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Monterey Hostel: Good Choice!

Basic hostel, standard quality I would say, nice kitchen, all very clean, beds are not that comfortable, girls' room with 8 beds (but not only bunk beds, also twins). Nice staff. Big free car park!
The hostel is closed between 10.30 a.m. and 5 p.m., the office as well. Curfew 11 p.m. - but it doesn't really matter coz of the nice living room - see below.

They have a wonderful huge sitting room with sofas, rocking chairs, books, computers etc. Great for hanging out!!

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written October 23, 2004

• KimberlyAnn profile photo KimberlyAnn
  • Reviews: 1082

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park: A Lodge or Campground

We had such a wonderful campsite in a state park that protects a beautiful forest habitat. Snuggled into a delightful site with trees on two sides and a rushing mountain stream behind. As we sat by the stream behind the camper we had a lovely mountain view. This campground is where we walked among our first redwood trees. There were no real giants here, but still the trees were larger than any we had seen before. The campground has 214 sites that will accept campers up to 32 foot in length. There is a 15-day max stay from Nov. 1 through April 3, and a 7-night max. stay limit the remainder of the year. The campground has a dump station and flush toilets, but no hook-ups.
The Big Sur Lodge provides room and cabin accommodation. The Big Sur Lodge has 61 guest rooms, a conference center, cafe, and a small store. The phone numbers for the lodge are: 1-800-425-4787 or 831-667-3100. For information about the lodge write to Big Sur Lodge, 47225 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920, or visit their web page at www.bigsurlodge.com When I inquired about the cabins and rooms in 2004, I was told that the price for these was $99 for a standard room up to $229 for a suite with Kitchen and fireplace.

NOTE:Since we stayed in the campground, my evaluation for satisfaction and price are based on the campground.

If you enjoy hiking there are many scenic hiking trail loops, including a self-guided nature loop. You may also fish in the year with the appropriate fishing license. One day we hiked to a 60-foot waterfalls. The trail was mostly uphill to the falls, traversing through the redwood forest, and along a stream. From there we took a trail to a valley view look out point. This was just one of the pleasant hikes that are available within the park.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Camping, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking
  • Written May 4, 2004

Our Campsite at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park

• Robachu1 profile photo Robachu1
  • Reviews: 98

Martine Inn: Beautiful Inn overlooking the Pacific Ocean

This beautiful Inn was created from an old Mediterranean style mansion. Staying there was like stepping back into the past. We rented bikes and rode all along the coast and had a blast.

Large rooms with authentic furnishings and beautiful views made Martine Inn one of our favorites. The breakfasts were great and the staff did there best to serve our every need. One one occasion my wife wanted to have some fruit. Although it wasn't on the menu or even part of the usual service a huge bowl of fruit including two kinds of melons was sent to our room....at no extra charge!
I enjoyed seeing Mr. Martine's classic British sportscar collection and even had the chance to talk with him a little at breakfast.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 29, 2003

Martine Inn

• Lunagirl profile photo Lunagirl
  • Reviews: 8

The Centrella Inn in Old Town...

The Centrella Inn in Old Town Pacific Grove.
The last time I priced it, late in 2001, it was about 140.00 USD per night.

Not cheap but verrry romantic! We spent part of our honeymoon there so we have a particular fondness for it. The two attic rooms are the best, both have private baths with a big ol' clawfoot tub and a view of the ocean. Breakfast is mainly continental with wonderful baked goodies. Hot beverages are available all day and if memory serves me they have an evening snacks/tea service of some sort as well. Located just blocks from the ocean and Lovers Point. Walking distance to many fine restaurants, shops, and a movie theater in Old Town Pacific Grove.

• Written August 26, 2002

• jzeidman profile photo jzeidman
  • Reviews: 65

Stay in Watsonville (its close...

Stay in Watsonville (its close by) in one of the Pajaro Dunes condos. They're a little pricey, but totally worth it
$545-595/night.

Most of the houses are owned by rather wealthy people, so they're fully equipped and furnished. The best part is that they are RIGHT on the sand and a few steps from your front door is the Pacific Ocean. It's a nice long stretch of beach suitable for walking, looking for sand dollars and relaxing.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive