Mariposa Inn

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Expedia.com Priceline.com BookIt.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Bad choice.

Very rude and incompetent staff who invaded our privacy and moved all of our belongings without our permission. During the move they destroyed invaluable property.

Hotel is sub-par in other respects, with paper thin walls, uncomfortable beds, poor showers, dirty rooms, and cardboard breakfasts. Avoid this at your peril.

Unique Quality: Great place to leave.

Directions: When you see the hotel, keep driving.

More about Mariposa Inn

Very Pleased

Eight of us traveled to Monterey after seeing a newspaper coupon in a local newspaper for the Mariposa Inn. All travelers found the hotel to be more than adequate. The room rates were reasonable with or without the coupon. The outside was nicely landscaped and well maintained. The rooms werer clean and well supplied with all necessities. The presence of a microwave and refrigerator was most convenient, the beds comfortable. The free continental breakfast served up fresh doughnuts, bagels, cereral with choice of juices. coffee and milk. The staff and Manager were friendly, helpful, and willingly solved any problems we had. The hotel is a quick 10 minutes to the Wharf or to Cannery Row. We all recommend the Mariposa Inn.

Double charged and won't fix it...

We stayed as a group in the Mariposa Inn, and were booked for only one night. My receipt was for one night, however, they charged me twice on my credit card. I have tried for 3 days to get the manager, but he does not return any calls, and he is never working. I am trying to get the charges reversed, but they are now saying that I originally booked 2 nights. That is not true. I knew how long I was staying when I booked the room and it was only one night. I have to work with my bank to decline these charges... MY ADVICE, STAY IN A MORE KNOWN HOTEL...

Acceptable Budget Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LGauer

My husband and I stayed at the Mariposa for the second leg of our honeymoon trip to California. We chose the Mariposa because it had the best rate for its class on all of the websites I researched. It wasn't the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, but it also wasn't the best. It was definitely a budget hotel. Pros: the gas fireplace was nice, as was the heat lamp in the bathroom. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room as well. Cons: What view we had (there was a huge tree outside our window) was of junk fenced in behind the hotel. If you wanted extra towels, you had to get them yourself. The office also has hours of operation - there will be no one there late at night or early in the morning. We did like the location; it was a quick drive to Carmel and Pebble Beach. TIPS: Check out the Brittish pub at the Wharf - good clam chowder and an entertaining menu. The Aquarium was fantastic, if you are traveling with kids don't miss it. The Blue Moon on Cannery Row was a great restaurant, I highly recommend it. For a perfect romantic evening, try the Mission Ranch restaurant in Carmel for dinner, and follow up with drinks on the patio in front of a cozy fire at the Hogs Breath. Also drive to Carmel for breakfast at Katy's place, you won't regret it (*cash only). All things considered (location and price namely), the Mariposa was a decent value. However if you can afford more, you should probably look elsewhere.

Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member Puppylady

We attend the AT&T PRO-AM every year. Since we do not spend a lot of time in the room, we usually go to the more cost effective places. This year we thought we would spend a little more to get a nicer place. Based on the pictures we thought the Mariposa was just what we were looking for, we were wrong. There were crates of marble in the parking area, so they may be remodeling, but room 103 had not been one of the rooms remodeled. Check-in was very easy, we gave our name, they gave us the room key-cards, but that is the only positive thing. As soon as we walked in, we noticed the stale cigarette smell. The room's lighting was very poor. The furniture was on its last leg. In the bathroom, 3 out of 4 bulbs were burned-out. I even climbed up to be sure no one had loosened them to "dim" the lights. The Heat lamp did not work. Water pressure was phenomenal but drainage could not keep up so you either had to decrease the pressure or stand in the dirty water. Because it was so dark, cleanliness was questionable, the bathroom looked dirty but it was probably due cracks where dirt hides in. Therefore, at this time I would highly discourage people to stay at this facility. You can get the same quality for probably about 20-30 bucks/ night less.

Turned out to be a terrible stay

Our neighbors ended up having a drinking night and finally at 3:15 am I called the front desk.
I was appalled that the security questioned the valitity of my complaint! I was 5 feet from 5 very loud young adults and he said " I'm sitting in the office and I can't hear a thing" When he finally came to question the loud people, He pointed to my room when asked who complained. I knew that they has seen my husband and our vehicle and worried about retaliation the rest of the time. It got worse when we decided to check out early at 8 that morning and the office help refused to hear my complaint about the night watch man. She became agitated, rude and very inept at responding to our check out requests.
(we need two reciepts and two charges for two different nights) I would never recommend this hotel until I know that the staff has been better trained and tought how to treat the paying customers with a lot more respect!

disgusting place to stay

we came to stay here for spring break and found the room smelled of smoke (non-smoking room i might add). the tables were dusty. there were clothes left in the drawers. the elevator was nasty. don't spend your money here or you will regret it.

DO NOT STAY HERE

by TripAdvisor Member anjillbug

I have stayed here prior and always had a nice stay with great accomodations, however, I believe the management or ownership must have changed hands - and not for the better. The room was small, no fireplace as promised, no offer to accomodate or make changes, the smoke detector hung from the ceiling by its wires, the phone was practically demolished, the directory card insert for the keypad was gone, 2 lights in the room did not work, the shower curtain had mold on it and when we returned late at night there was but parking space left marked "reserved, do not park here". We had to call the emergency number to get permisson on where to park as there was no street parking or nearby parking at all. The next morning we went in for complimentary breakfast to find their coffee pot overflowing all over their counter, food and floor and called to alert someone while starting to clean it up ourselves, but were greeted by a someone who told us we shouldn't have pushed the hot water button and made it do that when we had not touched a thing. I will never stay there and I would never recommend it to anyone - especially at $150 per night. Guest beware!

All I Can Say Is This Place Is The Best

by TripAdvisor Member sweetypie88

ALL I can say is this place is the best.Customer service is great,rooms are clean,have good continental breakfast.Close to everything like the mall accross the st.,17 miles dr.,carmel and fishermans wharf and to the aquarium...I am encouring you to book in mariposa specially the SPA SUITES or the TOWNHOUSE for the family..

Go someplace else

by TripAdvisor Member Bilbos

Unless you are a loner who is just needing to sleep somewhere for one night, this place is best avoided. The good: pool and hot tub seemed well maintained; breakfast was neat and sufficient. The bad: first room smelled like my grandmother's house (i.e. smoky), second room was small cramped into the side of the building with a good deal of street noise. Towels were minimal and difficult to find. Maybe we just got the room for the misfits because we booked online, but this place gets a 3.5 out of 10 on my chart. Just spend 10-20 bucks more and stay at the holiday inn express near cannery row.

Comments