3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

242 Cannery Row, Monterey, California, 93940, United States

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 114% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Great loaction with a great view

Monterey Bay Inn is located right on Cannery Row, 1 of Monterey's most well known streets. The rooms have a great view of the bay, San Carlos Beach (where the divers are going in the water), and Fisherman's Wharf. The best thing about the hotel is that breakfast is delivered right to your room each day. The rooms are great, very well furnished, and really makes for a nice experience.

Unique Quality: Other area hotels, in case this is full:
    Hotel Pacific: 300 Pacific Street (831) 373 5700
    Spindrift Inn: 652 Cannery Row (831) 8900
    Victorian Inn: 487 Foam Street (831) 232 4141

More about Monterey Bay Inn

Monterey Bay Inn

We booked our one night's stay online with the wine package at the Monterey Bay Inn. The rooms were very nice. We enjoyed the big unbelievably comfortable bed, really nice bathrooms, with two sinks and balcony. They forgot the wine package (which they said was because we booked it online) and it took a while to get it there, the whole package never made it. Later they did remove the charge from our credit card only after we emailed them because the girl at the desk said she couldn't do anything. The rooftop hottub was excellent with the stars and the ocean, and the continental breakfast delivered to the room was a nice touch. Other guests feeding the seagulls while we had breakfast was bothersome. I'd probably try somewhere new the next time only because for that price I want any issues resolved more smoothly and professionally, and not have to chase them down.

Enjoy all there is to offer here.

by TheTravelSlut

Evolution Integrative Wellness Coaching
Monterey Rent-A-Roadster
Oceans 18 Miniature Golf
Monterey Bay Aquarium

There is no shortage of lodging, dining, entertainment, events, indoor and outdoor & water activities.

Luxury in Monterey Bay

by TripAdvisor Member bmegSanDiego_CA

My husband and I chose the Monterey Bay Inn to celebrate our second wedding anniversary. I choose this hotel after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed June 26-30th. After mentioning the reason for travel to the front desk, we were sent complimentary Apple Cider, Wine, Chocolates, and a Cheese Plate to congratulate us. The renovated rooms were 5-star. We choose the ocean/harbor view room and could watch the waves crash from our feather bed. The bathroom was gorgeous, tiled with granite and marble. We enjoyed the continental breakfast delivered to our room each day. Order the breakfast bread! The hotel is a 5 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. I don't think we could have choosen an nicer place to stay in Monterey Bay for $200 a night. My only sugguestion is to request a room far away from the street if you like to sleep in past 8 or 9. The cars traveling by can get sort of noisy.

Great views with the right room

by TripAdvisor Member LucyKate

Waking up to seals barking and watching otters play below your balcony as waves crash under you - that's what you get with the right room at the Monterey Bay Inn.

The binoculars provided were a nice touch, as were the free cookies and fruit at reception, and front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful.

It was too far to walk to Fisherman's Wharf, but a reasonable stroll to Cannery Row and the Aquarium.

The hotel, and reception were looking a bit worse for wear, but extensive renovations were underway in mid-December when we were there and our room was nice - though small, but with a huge bathroom.

I would definitely recommend this place, but make sure you get that ocean view!

We LOVED it!

We stayed here on 10/12 on a road trip down Pacific Coast Highway from San Fran to LA. First off, let me recommend that everyone take this trip at some point in their life. My wife and I had SUCH a great time. The Monterey Bay Inn is a very, very nice hotel. It's a bit on the older side, and from the outside looks a bit like a shoebox built in the 80s, but this is deceiving. It had the softest, most comfortable bed that we slept in the entire trip. The view out onto Monterey Bay was beautiful. Very relaxing. We could open our door and listen to the sea lions barking in the distance (not too loud, mind you) and listen to the water gently lap against the breaker. We had to pay extra for a full ocean view, but what's the point of going to the ocean if you can't see or hear it? The staff were extremely friendly and accomodating. I believe it is family run by a couple of foreigners who went out of their way to make us feel at home. The hotel is within walking distance to everything on Canerey Row. I did a lot of research, and considered a number of hotels actually closer to Canerey Row, but heard stories about the loud bar music an patrons. No problems at the MBI. We LOVED it. Would go back in a heartbeat. As an aside, I didn't really find a good seafood restaurant while there, including some of the priceier places on the row. However, I will say that we enjoyed Bubba Gump's, though some of the food was fried. MBI is great!

An unexpected gem

by TripAdvisor Member sanjoseKat

After planning a last-minute getaway and finding that our usual Monterey area haunts were booked, we decided to try this hotel and were very pleased with our stay.

The renovations that are referred to by earlier reviewers have been finished. The rooms are all up-to-date and quite lovely, with lots of amenities: safe, iron, hair dryer, Aveda bath products, cd player etc. The bathroom was particularly nice with a huge vanity with plenty of storage. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever slept in. Each room seemed to have a private balcony overlooking the bay or the ocean (binoculars are provided) and breakfast is delivered to you at whatever time you specify ranging from quite early to 10:00 am. The front desk staff was very pleasant and the location is at the end of Cannery Row. A short walk to the action but not in the middle of it.

My only (small) complaint is although they have parking on the premises, they still charge for it ($13 per day).

Great small hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kenrichfamily

We stayed at this wonderful hotel March 23-25. It is a lovely small hotel in a great location. The re-done rooms are very well done. We had a Harbor view room and fully enjoyed having breakfast on our balcony with occasional visits from the seagulls. The bathroom was big and we enjoyed the Aveda products. The rooftop, oceanview hot tub looked great...it was a bit too cool for us to try it. I loved the location...walking distance to all the attractions but at the end of Cannery Row so it was quiet. My only suggestion is that if you book a room with a sleepsofa (due to bringing children or an extra guest) call to confirm that the room is available. Upon check in they ended up giving us a twin size roll away for our daughter which took up quite a bit of space due to no rooms with sleeper sofa's available. It almost felt like they were getting rid of the sofa's with the room remodels. I would definitely stay here again!

A Piece of Heaven!!

by TripAdvisor Member sarleo

Our first trip to Monterey was last minute and I didn't expect what awaited us. Reception, with its apples and cookies, was pleasant & comfortable as far as any help from dinner to the room. Harbor view they said---we were on the fourth floor, the sliding glass doors openning to the small beach below, out-croppings of rocks filled with nests of birds and flowers, seals just flopping around the water and sea lions. Sea otters playing and laying on their back as they broke shellfish by banging them on a stone on their belly, just like the Discovery Channel!!! Otters sleeping below. In the distance, the harbor that had fishing boats, sailboats and the Coast Guard. The sound of the waves and the salty fresh air invigerating. We left the door open all night-the temp perfect day and night. The balcony had room, with 2 very comfortable chairs, a table with a geranium on it. Breakfast of a muffin, breakfast cake, mellon, fresh OJ, coffee was a treat served on the balcony. The birds, including the big sea gulls, were eating out of my hand. Housekeeping was fablulous as was the room: feather bed so comfortable that I even napped. The decor calming and furniture very comfy. Bath big and very clean. Hot tubs on the roof and in a courtyard were clean and nice.

There is room service, but it is contracted out--great food and fast service, the food still piping hot and ice cream cold since it was next door. Price great. Walking distance to good on the water restaurants that the hotel told us about. We loved the Duck Club at an adjacent hotel, windows of the water all around and the food fantastic. A little more dressy, but no need for tie or jacket. Lots of places to walk to like the aquarium, Cannery Row and shops. The 17 mile drive cannot be missed!!!!!

If you like peace and quiet, a restful vacation, wonderful scenery, fresh air, wildlife, great food this hotel put you right in the middle of all that. It doesn't have vending machines, but it has ice. Parking is 13$ per day in an underground lt. It is not a commercialized area.

Feel free to ask any questions or if you would like pictures, it's no problem.
Wish I was still there.

Sarah Ann

It was awesome!!! you must stay here

My girlfriend and I stayed here on the way up the coast one evening. It was amazing! The rooms are newly renovated and are gorgeous and extremely clean. I consider myself an extremely picky person when it comes to design and cleanliness and this hotel was great. Here are some highlights- you can watch the wild otters play and eat right outside your window, as well as the seals with binolculars they give you in the room. You hear them talking to each other and the sounds of the ocean right from your balcony. The continential breakfast in the room was great, you could order anything you wanted on the menu. And there were free homemade chocolate chip cookies in the lobby in the afternoon at check -in. And there is an amazing hot tub on the roof overlooking monterey and the ocean. And in the morning you can go see the seals in between the boats down at the marina. Having the wild life right outside your window was a huge highlight. The hotel is also situated in between the marina and the shops- perfect. The picture of the hotel is outdated, it looks better than this now, as they painted it a warm terracotta color and it doesn't look so cold anymore. I would definitely stay here again- and I only picked it before going because of trip advisor's review.

Monterey Bay Inn, Cannery RowMonterey Bay Inn, Cannery Row