4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Horrible Hotel

This was a family trip for us to celebrate my mom's birthday. We were really looking forward to our time in Monterey and were excited to be staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel. That's why it was so terribly disappointing to have our stay go so badly. Our first night, I have no complaints. Our rooms overlooked the dolphin plaza and out onto Monterey Bay. This is truly and beautiful view and we left our windows open all night so we could listen to the surf and the seals barking. Saturday night was a nightmare. There was a large wedding out on the plaza and we were quite relieved when the noise stopped and the participants moved inside. But that was just the beginning. Once the music started our rooms were turned into a dance club. The noise level was so high that we could here the disc jockey and every song they were playing. I kept calling down to the front desk and they kept promising to contact banquets and get them to reduce the volume but that never happened. As it got closer to 10pm and my calls were getting more irate the front desk switched to "well, the music will stop at 10." The music did stop at 10 but then the participants spilled back out on to the plaza and we were treated to screaming kids and drunks for the next several hours. Now, obviously, you can't blame people for enjoying their wedding and whopping it up. But I do blame the hotel for renting out those rooms over the banquet hall when they knew far in advanced that a wedding was booked directly below. We had such a short time in Monterey and I really feel that the hotel disregarded our concerns and certainly did not provided us with the experience that we payed for. I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone stay here. It's a beautiful building, and a wonderful location but if you're there when there is a party or convention, you're just going to have to live with noise. This hotel doesn't seem to value the individual traveler or family as much as it's banquet and convention business.

Unique Quality: Great location on Cannery Row.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Monterey Plaza Hotel - Cannery Row Waterfront

The Monterey Plaza on Cannery Row is Monterey's most expensive, scenic, and classiest hotel. Its location on the quieter end of Cannery Row is hard to beat: its own semi-private beach, a 15 minute walk to downtown Monterey, and a 10 minute walk to the aquarium. The hotel has great amenities including on-premises spa, several shops, pool overlooking the bay, two restaurants and a lounge, conference facilities, and an abundance of rooms overlooking the bay.

Room rates in the summer start around $200; for a bay view, expect to pay $150-$200 more a night!

• Monterey Plaza Hotel - Avoid!

The Monterey Hotel & Spa is a hotel with an enviable position on Cannery Row. No other hotel in Monterey has such a position. The hotels in Monterey are generally poor and of the two or three star variety. Because of this the Monterey Plaza is unrivalled in it's position and star rating. However it is badly managed and is owned and staffed by managers with extremely bad attitude with no willingness or incentive to resolve guests complaints. Only stay there if you can afford the top end of their room packages. Do not expect the service they claim to provide and eat and drink outside the hotel. If you do have a complaint do not bother to speak to anybody or you may risk damage to yourself and your property like we did.
    We had the great misfortune to stay in the Monterey Plaza Hotel in the last week of May 2007. We were on a 16 night flydrive holiday and had stayed in some of the best hotels in California, Nevada, and Arizona. We were looking forward to staying at the Monterey Plaza but the visit turned into our worst nightmare. We were to stay the last three nights before returning to the UK. First impressions were good. The hotel was in a lovely location and as we drove up there were plenty of staff to relieve us of our luggage and car, valet parking. Reception was empty so we were shown to our room within a few minutes, this is when the trouble began.

As soon as we walked into the room we could not help notice how warm it was even though the outside temperature was in the mid sixties. The ceiling fan was already on and there was a portable fan already placed near the bed. We checked the wall thermostat but it had a message on stating that it was for heating only. The porter confirmed our fears that the Monterey Plaza Hotel did not have air-conditioning. He said the absence of air-conditioning was not a problem (1) as it was needed. Because we are situated on the beach all that we had to do was open a window

Unique Quality: Location

Directions: On "The Strip"

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

True Luxury at the Plaza

We truly enjoyed our stay in this luxurious hotel. From the minute you pull up to the property, you are pampered. The valet service is efficient and friendly and the lobby is amazing. Fireplace, beautiful views of the ocean from everywhere.

Our stay was in a Partial Oceanview room that was nicely appointed. The bed was very comfy and we paid the extra $15 for access to the rooftop jacuzzi and weight room. It is located in the Penthouse Suite area of the hotel. Views are beautiful and panoramic from the top of the spa. There are 2 Bromine jacuzzis that leave your skin soft and also a fireplace with chairs for relaxing and taking it all in.

The Duck Club and the Schooner's Bistro are 2 of our favorite restaurants in Monterey. We love this property and it is also in a great location, walking distance to the aquarium and Cannery Row.

Unique Quality: Beautiful oceanview property, gorgeous lobby, great restaurants and the rooftop spa is amazing. The service is outstanding at the Plaza as they truly adhere to high standards of perfection.

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo

Fancy-Ass Hotel

Okay, so I didn't actually stay in this hotel . . . I felt like I was stealing something just to be walking around it. (I wasn't - don't get your panties in a knot! I was just checking the place out.) Man, if you have money this looks like the place to stay. The hotel is right on Monterey Bay and has an amazing view. The maids were cleaning, so I looked in some rooms . . . they were definitely swank.

More about Monterey Plaza Hotel

Fine Dining with Bay Views at the Duck Club

by orcoastgirl about The Duck Club

The Duck Club is the fine dining venue at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Our dinner here was perfect. We were seated at a table by the window with panormaic views of Monterey Bay. You could watch the waves crashing below and view sea otters frolicking in the surf while you dine here.

The service was very attentive, prompt and professional. Everything we had was excellent. First course were the Lobster Potstickers followed by a Butter Lettuces salad. We shared the Duck Entree that was perfectly prepared. Dessert was also shared which was very good. The Lobster Potsticker Appetizer, the Duck entree.

Nice Room but Rude Staff

I've driven by the Monterey Plaza Hotel many times, so I decided to give it a try. The front desk staff are not that friendly. The ocean view room was clean and comfortable, but not worth the price. I would consider again for special occasions or off season travel. The Duck Club restaurant has excellent food & service with the premium price to match. If you're wealthy, everything about the Monterey Plaza is worth the price. No one should waste their money for rooms across the street from the main hotel.

A Real Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member ACM1

We were quite disappointed on a recent trip to the Monterey Plaza Hotel. Although the first of our two rooms was ready upon check-in, the second room was not yet available. A little wait is OK, but the room was still not ready at 5:15 pm...well after the 4:00 pm check-in time.

Our deluxe bay view room, was not badly decorated, but small and had a tiny bathroom. Not what I expected for the price. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a/c and it was actually hot for Monterey (temperatures were in the 90s). So, we had to sleep with the window open. Since the room had a ceiling fan that really would not have been a problem, except that the hotel bar crowd spilled out onto the adjoining patio (five floors below our room) and partied. When I finally called down to the front desk at 1:00 am, they were less than accomodating until I threatened to call the police. The patio was closed within 15 minutes. It was not a good experience and I would not go back.

Wedding at the Plaza

My wife and I just had our wedding at the Monterey Plaza. Everything went very, very well. We could not have been more pleased with how the staff handled our wedding. Tiffany helped us plan and organize our wedding. From our first meeting with her, we were very comfortable with her abilities to make our wedding day a great one. Everything was handled professionally and in a friendly manner. Our planning, rehearsal and actual ceremony ended up being a great success thanks to the staff at the plaza. We didn't have to worry about any of the logistics. All decorations, presents, etc were wisked away and stored for us without us having to give it a second thought.

Granted, all of this preparation is not free. Then again, nothing related to weddings seems to be inexpensive. Having a wedding at the plaza is not one of the less expensive wedding options. I did expect a better room considering the $$ we were spending for the wedding. The room was nice and we did have an ocean view but it was just a typical hotel room. My wife chose to add an ajoing parlor to our room. This was not covered under our wedding discount. The added parlor was an expensive upgrade but it turned out to be well worth it. It provided plenty of room for the girls to get ready before the wedding. The two balconies also gave us excellent views of the ocean.

Overall, our wedding experience at the Plaza was very positive. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an ocean venue. We found that the staff went out of their way to take the worry out of our wedding day.

Steve

Overpriced and overrated

I've stayed at this property three times in the last six years. Although the first two visits several years ago were acceptable the most recent visit this past weekend was a real disappointment. In my previous stays, I had stayed in the main building directly overlooking Monterey Bay. This time when I arrived I found out that we had a "Garden View" room which meant we were in the building on the opposite side of Cannery Row. I had not been told this when I made the reservations. In reality, the room faced a popular bicycle/jogging trail which was busy and noisy for most of the weekend, including the early morning hours. Just beyond the hiking trail was a relatively busy city street. In addition, the hotel has no air conditioning and even though the outdoor temperature during our stay did not reach 80 degrees, the room was unbearably hot in the evenings unless the ceiling fan was turned up to max and the patio doors were wide open all night. The bellman said that this was due to the afternoon sun that this building is exposed to.
The rooms had no windows, only the previously mentioned patio doors with no screens on the doors. Even though we were on the second floor I felt uncomfortable leaving the doors wide open all night especially with our three kids in adjoining room. Of course. by the next morning the rooms were populated by a number of insect visitors as well.
Additonally, the furnishings of both rooms are beginning to show a significant degree of wear and tear and could use replacement.
I was unable to open one of the in-room honor bars ended up breaking the key.
Finally, we had room service for dinner one evening and found the food mediocre at best.
At $260/room per night plus $16/day parking this was greatly overpriced.
During my next visit to Monterey I will be staying somewhere else.

ok but not great

by TripAdvisor Member loveslife

expensive and not a great value. We had an ocean view room the first night and the view was great but the room was very basic, pretty small, and no great bathtub which I expected at these prices. We down-scaled the second night, same room just no view and it was fine, and was less expensive. The spa is great--go for the hot stone treatment -- and I loved the outdoor hot tub and roof top deck. The hotel service help was aso very professional and accomodating so no complaints on anything except the prices for what you get other than the view and location.

Monterey Plaza, Cannery RowMonterey Plaza, Cannery Row

Monterey/Carmel

by monty18

Apologies I did not mention month we are in the araea....Early June

Monterey/Carmel

by kiwi

Hi Ray, if you post this as a reply to your original enquiry, the question will flow better for an answer. Otherwise someone may come across your question and not see the added information. Good luck :-)

RE: RE: Monterey/Carmel

by YVRDave

The weather will be great. Possible fog in the AM. My favorite hotel is the Monterey Plaza. Try to get a room over the water. They Hyatt and Marriott are other options in Monterey. Carmel is a little boutiquie for my tastes. Usually more expensive also. Check out this members pages. They are great.

RE: Monterey/Carmel

by monty18

Thanks Kiwi, Yes it belongs the the same question. I just forgot to put the month in. Anyway, Many thanks to all who replied so fast. Your info is very helpful. We have decided to stay in Monterey and visit out from there. Looking forward to our trip to California.

Comments