Old Monterey Inn

500 Martin St., Monterey, California, 93940, United States

More about Old Monterey Inn

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member ciao_tutti2

I used to work at a luxury inn and I know what to look for in a superb inn. Old Monterey Inn surpassed my expectations! The facility is beautiful and is very well-maintained. The extra touches in the rooms and friendly staff make this inn one of the best. I can't wait to go back for more pampering.

Exceeded My Expectations

My wife and I were celebrating our 40th anniversary and wanted a special place to spend this time. The Old Monterey Inn in Monterey, CA definitely has been that special place. The Inn was built as the Mayor's home in the 20's and is magnificent. It is situated on 1.25 acres of beautiful and private gardens. The entire property, combined with Proprietor Patti Valletta and her staff, will most certainly be appreciated by any travelers who enjoy B & B's.

Very special place

If you and your significant other are looking for that special place to forget life's travails, try the Old Monterey Inn. What a place! It's nestled in the foothills of Monterey within easy driving distance of Cannery Row and the harbor. The accommodations set the tone for a very romantic weekend. Each morning was a treat as a delicious breakfast was delivered to your room. The staff is excellent and really worked to make our stay an unforgettable experience. We definitely plan to return to this wonderful inn.

Wonderful experience....

by TripAdvisor Member btworld

We stayed at the Old Monterey Inn for an Anniversary/Business trip this last weekend. We spent the night in the cottage which had a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and beautiful garden setting. Over the years we have stayed at many B&B's but the Inn far surpassed anything we had experienced. We will definately return as soon as we can. The service and attention to detail was incredible. The Inn is a peaceful place to forget your cares and reconnect with the one you love.

Absolutely Breathtaking

by TripAdvisor Member Sharibow

Words cannot describe my experience at The Old Monterey Inn in Monterey, California. Upon arrival I knew that this was going to be an experience of a lifetime. Set in some of the most beautiful gardens I've seen, the Inn is a peaceful haven away from the hustle and bustle of whatever you are trying to relax from. The decor takes you back to an English countryside where service and impeccable taste are expected. Your every need and wish was already anticipated and each room (I got a tour) was beautifully decorated down to every detail. The food was outstanding and the staff were friendly and helpful. They helped with suggestions for dinner and provided me with printed directions to my outings. My room, the Stoneleigh, had its own separate entrance and was so comfortable right down to the feather bed and beautiful linens. The weather in Monterey was perfect and I was able to sleep with the windows open and enjoy the beautiful California nights. The food was great, the service wonderful and the dining room elegant. I could have stayed a week at the Inn and been perfectly happy not to go anywhere else. I plan to tell everyone I know who is travelling to California that they must experience the beauty and serenity that is the Old Monterey Inn.

Romantic Bed & Breakfast

The Old Monterey Inn is a beautiful place, the gardens can only be explained as gorgeous and inviting. All the rooms are very quaint and every one is unique. We stayed in the room called the "Library", very cozy with its big soft bed, fireplace and private balcony. The staff as well as the owner/Inn keeper are all very pleasant, and treat you as one of the family. If you ever find yourself in Monterey, CA; do yourselves a favor, try out this bed & breakfast you won't be disappointed, maybe just a little spoiled!

Absolutely Perfect!

This B&B is absolutely is most perfect place to stay anywhere near the Monterey/Carmel area. The staff is extremely personable and attentive and the ownership is the very best. Breakfast is amazing as well as the afternoon wine & hors d'oeuvres. Each room has its own personality and ours was just like home but with a much better view. I highly recommend the Old Monterey Inn to anyone traveling for business or leisure, honeymooning, celebrating an anniversary, or just to get escape for one night. We stayed five days and I was dreading checking out an hour after checking in!

Excellent Got Better

by TripAdvisor Member SC/BTravels

We stayed at the Old Monterey Inn for one night. We were enroute to Cambria and used this as a half way stopping point on our way. This was the third time we have stayed at the Old Monterey Inn. This was our first time staying there since it is under new ownership. We were checked in by "Michelle" who was very sweet and friendly. We were shown the breakfast menu for the next morning and given the option of breakfast in the dining room or in our room. When you have breakfast in your room, you can have it on TV type trays or in bed (on bed trays). We were shown around the living room which has been redone. It is beautiful and inviting. The Inn stocks a refrigerator with juices, waters and sodas for your use. They also have hot tea available in the alcove near the front desk. We stayed in the room called "Tattershall", this is on the 2nd floor of the main house. The room is lovely with a dijon & blue colored toile comforter with window coverings, pillows and canopy to match. There is a blue velvet loveseat to relax on too. The TV is hidden in a small cabinet above the fireplace. The bathroom is small, efficent and very clean with shower only (no tub). We asked if they could make dinner reservations for us at Montrio Bistro at 6:30pm. They secured our time and gave us a coupon for a free appetizer too. We came back after dinner to a lovely turndown. Breakfast was delivered to our room at 9am. We had warm apples with cinnamon, raisins, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a snickerdoodle cookie! The entree was a artichoke and mushroom fritatta, along with orange juice with banana slices floating on top and hot coffee. It was delicious...as always. The rooms are being given a facelift by the new owner. While the rooms have always been excellent , they are just getting better. We met the new owner "Patti" on our way out. She gave us a new copy of Select Registry Inns and tea bags from the Inn. What a nice way to meet the owner and end our stay. We would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone. We like to stay at elegant B&B's and the Old Monterey is in the top five of our list.

A magical time

by TripAdvisor Member 1980

We just spent ten days in northern California and Monterey was our first stop. The whole trip was fabulous, but I regret not spending one or two days longer at the Old Monterey Inn. The place is absolutely gorgeous, and we enjoyed every aspect of our stay there. We selected the Stoneleigh Room, which is not in the main building, but we loved walking down the path and through the gardens to get there. The Stoneliegh Room was such a delight, the bed, the fireplace, the robes and the cd player. Even the door is beautiful! I really liked the attention to detail in the bathroom, it has a spa like quality - not just because of the tub, and the waterfall faucet, but the the way the shadow of the tree leaves played on the window, high up on the shower wall - just so beautiful.

Each evening, we visited the gardens, and relaxed a while before going into the living room to relax in front of the fireplace, enjoying the wine and cheese. We enjoyed talking with the other guests and hearing about the things they did during the day. In the morning, we joined the other guests for the breakfast creations, and shared plans for the day ahead. We loved meeting people from different parts of the U.S. as well as from Europe. Breakfasts were beautifully prepared and served with candlelight, and a finely set table- pure elegance.

Every morning, the newspapter along with basket of coffee, and biscotti was delivered to our doorstep, and it was such a pleasant way to begin our morning!

I know that we will be back again to visit and I hope that you also take to opportunity to enjoy this remarkable place and feel the "magic" of the Old Montery Inn!

Be sure to visit Pfeiffer Beach at Big Sur - it is one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet! Also, we loved dinner at Cibo, in downtown Monterey - within walking distance.

Flawless and Delightful

by TripAdvisor Member Huladawg

My wife and I spent New Years weekend at the Old Monterey Inn. We've never submitted an online review, but were so impressed by this extraordinary property we couldn't resist. As experienced travelers and very demanding guests, we find it very rare to encounter accomodations and service that are truly flawless. This was in all respects true of our three-night stay at the Inn. Because we booked late, the only room available was the Tattershall, which is the smallest and lowest priced. However, we enjoyed it so much we'll probably request it on our next visit. What the room may lack in square footage it more than makes up for in charm. The Provincial furnishings, operating fireplace, windows on three sides and delightful featherbed made it wonderfully cozy and inviting. The bath was small, but was fine as long as we didn't try to share it. The historic Inn, built in 1929 and once the residence of Monterey's first mayor, must be appreciated not just for the rooms, but for the classical gardens, architecture, interior and furnishings, especially the living room and dining areas, which are gathering places for the small 'family' of guests each morning and evening. In these intimate surrounds Patti Valletta, the proprietor, treated us to real old-world hospitality. Her home-cooked breakfasts were delicious, unique, and served on a most elegant table in front of a crackling fire. We also came to look forward to the complementary wine and cheese gatherings with the other guests each afternoon. I shouldn't neglect to mention the beautiful grounds which preserve the original gardens and that stately 100 year old feeling. All of our needs were completely satisfied with a professional and personal touch - morning paper, excellent daybreak coffee, first-class toiletries, complementary cold-drink bar, tickets and schedules, advice on restaurants, wine and sights. Truly one of the most relaxing and restul escapes we're ever experienced. All-in-all a memorable time and a great value, when the quality of amenities, personalized service and exceptionally fine accomodations are considered.

17 mile drive17 mile drive

Jelly FishJelly Fish

Typical tack.Typical tack.

Lighthouse AvenueLighthouse Avenue

Santa Barbara to Monterey availability in early July

by smally311

I need advice:
My family and I are arriving in LA on 30 JUNE 07, with an overnight stay. we are then travelling up the coast to San Fran, where we also have a hotel pre booked(5+6July).
Would it be a good idea to book hotels NOW for the coastal run (1st-4th July),or will there be plenty of vacancies(motels included). We plan to be at Monterey on 4th JULY.
Thank you for any responses.
David.

by lmkluque

Better make those reservations now! The Fourth of July is a huge holiday for us and you may have trouble getting a room at the last minute.

by JLoeb

Santa Barbara is one of my favorite places. The beach is beautiful with hotels right across the street.
Stay @ The Old Monterey Inn if you can get rez. close to restaurants, shops. Great places to walk to. Also take in Carmel on your trip up the coast. Pebble Beach is beautiful. Oh yes if you are driving from LA take the PCH Pacific Costal Highway and stop for lunch at Paradise Cove just inside Malibu. It is wonderful! Once you get to San Fran you have to go to The Stinking Rose. It is a wonderful restaurant everything garlic. Do a web search the one in SF is much better than LA. It is one of the most unique places I have been.
Of course you will have to take a trip across the bay to Salsilito very quaint lots of shops and eaties. Enjoy!

by ltt

make reservations now

by HarmoniousBotch

Make reservations yesterday

by smally311

Thank y all. We've booked up in Monterey for 4th JULY to be on the safe side. we'll just stop where-ever 1st-3rd JULY on the way up coast.

Comments