2 Portola Plaza, Monterey, California, 93940, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Nice Central Hotel

This is a large, modern hotel and conference centre in the heart of downtown Monterey right next to the Customs House Plaza and Fisherman's Wharf. It is somewhat impersonal and lacking in unique character as such places can be, but it's very nice, has a good pool, and has a great location. They also have free warm cookies for guests, which the kids love.

Unique Quality: Great location in the heart of downtown, next to Customs House Plaza, Fisherman's Wharf, beach, and stop for the free trolley to Cannery Row; warm cookies; pool.

Directions: Right downtown near the waterfront.

• watch out for BED BUGS

While I think this hotel was very nice in location and outside appeal, I don't appreciate the BED BUG bites that appeared a few days later. Yes, I never would of thought to even check for bed bugs in this type of hotel, but it just goes to prove that looks can be deceiving. I traveled to Monterey with my husband and one year old for Labor Day weekend for my baby's first trip to the beach. Five days later I am covered in bites. I tried to convince myself (and even my doctor) that it was mosquito's, sand fleas, regular fleas, chicken pox, spider bites; anything but bed bugs. But today my doctor confirmed that yes, in fact this is a clear case of bed bug bites. If you could only imagine my anger, frustration, irritation, disbelief, and heartache. And my worst fear is yet unconfirmed. Did these bed bugs hitch a ride to my house in my luggage? Although I have checked the bed and luggage only time will tell if they made it here. And that will be a whole other ball game.
    I did call the hotel to inform them of the problem. I felt it important so other families don't encounter the same horrible problem. What type of response did I get? The usual corporate line about how "we always check" and "we have devices that warn...". The shift manager said she would do an inspection and call me back, which she did. Her "visual inspection" didn't find anything. As if they would have confirmed that they have bed bugs. I haven't traveled anywhere else in the past several months and keep a real tight ship when it comes to home (and life) cleanliness. There is only one place these bites could have occurred; during our stay at the Portola Hotel & Spa. This is a much bigger problem then we all think. I never thought this could happen to me. I just pray the worst is over and I didn't bring any critters home. If you do stay here, make sure to check the room out first, and be on the safe side when you return. Quarantine everything!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Portola Plaza Hotel - Old Monterey Waterfront

The Portola Plaza is one of the best-locating lodging facilities in Monterey. Besides the location, the Plaza is blessed with easy access to the Monterey Conference Center, a short walk to the rec trail and Fishermans Wharf, and just a quick stroll to downtown Monterey. The hotel has its own parking garage, numerous shops on premises, several bars and restaurants including a microbrewery, and a swimming pool. Jack's Bar is a little too fancy for me, and the beer at Peter B's is a little too crappy for me, but this is a very nice hotel in a prime spot. Its 369 rooms range from $230 to $400 per night.

Directions: At the end of Fishermans Wharf & Alvarado Street

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Convenient Monterey Hotel

I have now stayed at this hotel twice- both for work. First let me say that it is a perfectly fine hotel - but I'd rather stay in Carmel. Good location if you want to be close to downtown Monterey and near fisherman's wharf. The hotel is a bit noisy. The rooms are ok- spacious but missing upscale amenities (unless you count the plastic baby seal in the bathroom). The hotel was once a Doubletree. They are upgrading some of the rooms - to have plasma tvs, etc. - but right now these rooms are limited to the 7th floor of the hotel. The hotel consists of a main building (7 floors) and a handful of adjacent buildings (2 floors).

Unique Quality: I would not say that the rooms had great views. This last stay my room had a partial view of the wharf- but the room was over the bar (Peter B's) so it was very loud on Saturday night. Then we were awoken the next morning by very loud seagulls. Our VIP guest (we were hosting an executive event) was given a room facing a brick wall. Also, the service is not stellar - more like your average Hyatt/Hilton then a luxury resort. I had to bargain to not get charged for a cord to hook into the internet in my room (you "purchase" the cord for $5 at the front desk and still have to pay $10/day for internet in the room). The hotel does have a spa and antiquated meeting rooms.

Directions: Across from the Convention Center and Fisherman's Wharf.

• mcbut385's Profile Photo

Service with a smile & cookie

First things first, the front desk agents will haggle prices with every hotel to get you to be their guest. They upgrade you, give you amenities, offer warm cookies at check in... and that is just for starters! The rooms are tasteful, very calming in appearance. The rooms are decorated in neutral colors, and the restaurant is the best part of the whole hotel! The egg-white omelette is to die for!

Unique Quality: Great pool, with unique lighting and beautiful plants. The price is moderate, both in the restaurant and the rooms. The steak and omelettes are fantastic, the best part is that a full steak and eggs breakfast cost less than $15 (remarkable for a high class hotel in Monterey!) Beautiful spa and wonderful staff.

Directions: Downtown Monterey

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Great Waterfront Location

The hotel is located in the plaza where many locals and tourists visit, but once you step inside the hotel, it was very quiet, well until you open the window in the room... It sounded like the sea-lions were talking right by the window. I found that you couldn't escape from them no matter where you stayed in Monterey, so you just need to learn to enjoy it.

The room was nice with a comfortable bed with lots of pillows, nice furniture, soft towels, internet connection, etc.

Unique Quality: There are all the facilities expected at the resort hotels, i.e., spa, pool, fitness center, restaurant, bar, meeting facilities, and hotel parking.

The hotel is within walking distance to the world-class Monterey Bay Aquarium, pristine beaches, Monterey Bay harbor and hundreds of dining and entertainment options.

About 5 min. drive to the famous Cannery Row.

Directions: From San Francisco/San Jose:

Take 101 S to the city of Prunedale.
    Exit on Hwy 156 to Monterey Peninsula, it will become Hwy 1 S.
    Exit at Del Monte Ave/Pacific Grove. Be in the left lane at 6th stoplight. Hotel will be 1 block on right side.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Expensive, but good.

We stayed at this hotel for a few days, during our US trip and were quite pleased with it.

The room was very large and modern with all the amenities you can want (I'm sure there are better, but who needs all that luxury anyway).

Location is great, but since Monterey is a small town, that is not of great importance anyway. It is just a short drive from the Airport and it is just a few minutes (1-2) from the Fisherman's wharf and about 10 minutes (walking) from the Aquarium.

Staff were nice and friendly and were even kind enough to accept some packages sent to us even before we arrived.

Monterey is expensive and this Hotel is one of the best ones here.

More about Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay

Great Hotel, Rude Traffic Cops

We stayed at the Portola Plaza during a recent business trip. The hotel staff is very friendly and the rooms are gorgeous. The beds are comfortable and I would stay there again anytime. The City of Monterey however does not greet visitors with a smile. After being parked for 5 minutes in the "5 minute zone" a hostile, rude and nasty meter maid wrote us a ticket while it was obvious the valet was just finishing unloading our luggage. We felt welcome at the Portola Plaza Hotel but not to the City of Monterey.

Downtown Perfection

The Portola Plaza Hotel where it's location, location, location! We loved it! Right downtown Monterey and the lovely Fishermans Wharf with scenic New Monterey via the relatively new scenic walking path. My wife and I had stayed in Monterey several years ago and were just recently back there (August 2004) and have they fixed it up! Right behind the resort is the Wharf and the Maritime Museam - a 1 minute walk to both. And no more than a 15 minute walk to the fabulous Monterey Aquarium. The rooms have obviously been recently re-done, and the restaurant is wonderful... the best salad bar I've seen in a while. But what I can not get over is the Peter B's Brewpub! If you go there and don't try the seven malt stout you haven't lived. Overall, Monterey is one of my favorite destinations and the Portola Plaza brings Monterey to the front door. Enjoy!

Superb Hotel

I have stayed at the Portola Plaza several times over the years and have eaten at the restaurant and at Peter B's. I find the hotel to be the nicest in Monterey and on the entire Peninsula. They have had the same well trained staff over the years of my staying at the Portola Plaza (formerly Doubletree Hotel). That staff not only make the hotel better every year, but keep the hotel in top condition. Whether in Monterey on business or leisure its location is second to none and I would recommend to anyone. With the name change it is still the same superb hotel.

Great but Noisy !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Cramos6269

We went to Monterey the day after Thanksgiving. The entrance of the Hotel is very elegant. The furnishing inside the room is superb.
We had a complementary breakfast buffet. The food is good. I was surprised that the Hotel has that free buffet for the guests.
The location is perfect for tourists as it is a walking distance to a lot of stores. The Main problem: I requested for an ocean view room. I have stayed in a lot of hotels which has an ocean view. Meaning its next to the ocean!!!!!! The Reservation person said that their hotel is next to the wharf and the room I reserved (which is not cheap !!) has a full ocean view..... Sure, when we got there I was soooo disappointed because you can see the ocean after seeing a few buildings. The hotel doesn't have AC. We have to open the patio door at night where the temperature is actually comfortable. But the next problem came up. You can hear the loud people from the wharf who were having a party of some sort. Anyway, people there are very friendly, I think that's one part that paid off all the issues. Service for me is a great deal. But if you are looking for a good quiet sleep with AC in the room. This is not the hotel you're looking for.
Shall I stay here next time when I'm at Monterey? Maybe or Maybe not.

A good choice

The hotel was very nice, clean, and enjoyable to be in. The attached restaurant (California Grill) was excellent for dinner (the prime rib was superb!) but for brunch the next day, we were sent away at 11:05 and told that they could not seat us for breakfast. We said that was fine...we would order from the lunch menu...but they said they would not be seating until 11:30. I've never heard of a restaurant not seating a customer before! The location of the hotel is its best asset. Fisherman's Wharf is right in back, Cannery Row only a few minute walk (on a beautiful, paved trail), and the aquarium was 15 minutes away. The aquarium, by the way, is WELL worth your time. We stayed in a lovely room facing the courtyard (noisy at times) and right next to the ice machine (noisy at times). The soundproofing of our room was not the best. BUT this was a great place to stay for the price (Sunday night through Thursday night...couples for $109 per night!). We would stay there again.

The Monterey Mural - Portola HotelThe Monterey Mural - Portola Hotel