598 Laine St, Monterey, California, 93940, United States

Priceline.com Booking.com Agoda.com

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Great experience

This is a wonderful bed and breakfast. John and Dawn, the owners are very friendly and accommodating. We had the Tulgey Wood room. It is there smallest room they have and that is an understatement. There is no closet and barely any room on the floor for your bags. It is well stated on their website that this room has a private bathroom but it is down the hall which was a little strange.

There is always access to complimentary water and soft drinks as well as coffee and tea. At 5pm Dawn puts out several hors d'oeuvres that are very good and cookies and brownies are always available.

The gardens are beautiful and I wish we had more time to relax and enjoy the peace and quite in the garden. The is a country style feel with the brick drive way. The living room has a fireplace and is inviting. There is a sun room where the hors d'oeuvres are set out and breakfast can also be eaten here.

The breakfast's were a little over the top for us, unless of course, you enjoy the ingredients. The first breakfast we had was a stuffed french toast with so many berries and berry syrup you can barely find the bread. So if you like berries you would love it. The second breakfast we had was a four cheese egg omelet. Again, more cheese than egg so cheese lovers would be in heaven. However Dawn was very good at offer alternatives.

We would stay here again but definitely choose a different room with the bathroom located in the room.

Unique Quality: The gardens and atmosphere.

More about The Jabberwock Inn

Whimsical Inn Filled with Homey Comforts

by TripAdvisor Member Forestvillian

We recently concluded our second stay of 2 nights at the Jabberwock Inn, a 3-story vintage house located on a residential street and nicely situated 4 very walkable blocks up the hill from Cannery Row (and the Aquarium). At the end of our stay we were thoroughly convinced that we couldn’t find a more comfortable home-base whenever we travel to the Monterey area. The Jabberwock’s decor and style imaginatively reflect a world of Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass”, including messages in mirror writing, clocks that run backwards, a grinning Cheshire Cat on the sunporch, a sign on the cookie platter stating “Eat me”--and of course, each of the 7 rooms named after a reference from the “Jabberwocky” poem. The entire inn exudes a very relaxing, comforting and fun feeling, and one could easily spend their entire stay NOT traveling about, but cocooning at the inn, settling into one of the parlor’s arm chairs to read, playing board games in the sunroom, strolling thru the flower-laden garden, drinking tea and munching cookies, sipping wine and enjoying a delicious array of hors d’oeuvres every evening!

Our first stay a couple of years ago was in the lovely and VERY spacious Mome Rath room, but this time, we decided we didn’t require the luxury of that room’s 2-person jacuzzi, so we settled on the Brillig room which is across the hall on the 2nd floor. The Brillig was appointed with a gas fireplace flanked by built-in wooden bookcases, pretty tapestry-design wallpaper in muted colors on the walls with a star-pattern wallpaper on the ceiling, 2 upholstered chairs, 2 small closets (conveniently located, one on either side of the bed), a Queen-sized bed with adjustable mattress, lace curtains and a very nice view out over the rooftops to the Bay. The main room had a pedestal sink, and a small, but light-filled tiled bathroom contained an oversized shower and toilet. While showering at night one had quite a pretty view of the town lights in the distance. The bath did have its odd “Wonderland-like” idiosyncrasies including a drain plug in the shower that kept shutting down, and after showering one needed to close it in order to avoid the irritating sound of “drip, drip” (a pocketwatch’s tick, tick??) echoing down the drain (the rabbit hole??). There were 2 very attractive antique pocket doors, one reconfigured to become a wall between the bathroom and the main room, and one which functioned as the door to the bath--but really needed to be kept open since it squealed as loud as a distressed dormouse when one pulled on it! Our room was quiet at night even though all 4 rooms on our floor were occupied one of the nights. We left the window open in the bath so we had a nice breeze wafting thru and no outside noises ever disturbed us. The feather comforter and a separate coverlet on the bed were more than adequate to provide warmth and coziness at night. Additional nice touches in the room: bathrobes, hairdryer and shampoo. But strangely, no body lotion or shower cap. Bottled water and a decanter of sherry were also provided in the room. The complimentary sherry and the house wines were just OK, but coming from Sonoma County, we’re admittedly rather picky and spoiled when it comes to wine.

Breakfast at the Jabberwock is definitely a memorable event! Each course was a delight for the eyes, palate and stomach! We loved the Jabberjuice which is a delicious potion of OJ, pineapple juices and... well, the rest is a house secret. We also enjoyed sticky buns, flaky croissants, a fresh fruit plate, seasoned rice and scrambled eggs--and the huge hit one morning consisted of the soft-boiled eggs in very proper egg cups. Each egg was decorated with a face in the likeness of the guest receiving it! Great fun!! We met 3 of the innkeeping staff and each encounter was warm and welcoming. Everyone was helpful, friendly and appeared to be enjoying the experience as much as their guests were. During our stay, the guests we met were interesting and lively with varied backgrounds and ages. I have the distinct feeling that the people who choose to stay at the Jabberwock are looking for something out of the ordinary with no pretense and with an atmosphere of lightheartedness. As we checked out I learned that the inn was to have new owners within a couple of months and from all indications they will carry on the wonderful traditions of the Jabberwock Inn, and their guests will continue to experience home-style comforts augmented by an ample portion of very delightful whimsy!

Just like Gramma's House

by TripAdvisor Member LCoolWatr

My husband and I (ages 25 and 23 respectively) love to stay at B&B's and this is at the very top of our list now! This inn has its theme, Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass and the Jabberwocky poem, all through out--some of the writing is backwards (you have to hold it up to a mirror to read it!) and all the room names are from the Jabberwocky poem. Breakfast dishes have very interesting names as well!

As for the actual accommodations, the beds were comfy (a few rooms even have Sleep Number beds, which ours did), the room was just the right size, not too large, not too small and the views were gorgeous. We stayed in the Mimsy room and were able to peek into the Mome Rath (very spacious) and the Tulgey Wood (about the same size as the Mimsy, but the private detached bathroom is just down the hall). The food was very delicious, too, even for someone who is a bit picky like me. Beware that Joan, the owner, will not tell you what's in the Macachew Slurry or the Burndt Blumbleberry, though! It's part of the fun to be immersed in the "looking glass."

The property is very peaceful, no loud traffic at night, and there are many cute garden areas. It is very relaxing to just sit around and play chess or read in the living room area (of course you can purchase the Alice books there to catch up on your Wonderland trivia!). As with many B&B’s there are appetizers around 5:30 and milk and delicious chocolate chip cookies before bed. I think the price for what you get at this inn is an excellent value.

Only one warning: the walls can be a little thin, so if you are a light sleeper, you may want to consider bringing earplugs in case you get stuck next to someone who snores!

The inn is very conveniently located about 3 blocks above Cannery Row and 5 blocks or so from the Monterey Bay Aquarium, a very pleasant walk--the only difficulty is that last block back up to the inn, it's pretty steep! It’s also only 15 minutes (driving) from Carmel-by-the-Sea, a very cute little art town a few miles South.

You will definitely not be disappointed with your stay at the Jabberwock Inn. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a unique stay at a friendly, comfortable Bed and Breakfast.

My first B&B experience = love

by TripAdvisor Member AmateurTripper

I've always been a little apprehensive about staying at a Bed and Breakfast, because I was worried I'd either end up living in some dollhouse room or feel forced to interact with other people. Let me just say the Jabberwock has changed my opinion forever. My family decided this Thanksgiving we were going to splurge and try out the B&B experience and chose the Jabberwock for its location and price. The innkeeper was super friendly but not forcedly so, showing us around the place and offering to make dinner reservations for us. We stayed in the Brillig room which had a fabulous view of the bay, and not overdone at all. Everything in the room was aimed for pure comfort and coziness with attention given to all sorts of detail, from a copy of Cannery Row to milk and cookies before bedtime and even a lavender satchel on the bed - it really was what a vacation should be. My only disappointment (small one) was that the breakfast after all the great reviews I read was just okay - the ho-hum scrambled eggs and alice in wonderland themed corn mash thing (I forget the name) was a tad bland but I should say it was the morning after Thanksgiving so its understandable/forgivable, and at least it was balanced out by the delicious Jabber Juice fruit smoothie, jam filled croissants which were warm and soo flaky and REAL CREAM to go with their coffee and tea. Hopefully the next time I stay, I'll get the great breakfast everyone's talking about.

Charming and Enchanting

by TripAdvisor Member aamidala66

What an enchanting little plot of land! It really felt like we were transported into the magical world that Lewis Carroll dreamed up every time we stepped foot into this charming house. Every little detail in the furnishings has been delicately accounted for and the Alice in Wonderland theme just tickles your fancy in the most creative ways. Our room (the Wabe) was on the third floor and included all the basic amenities we could have asked for, including its own attached bathroom and a firmness-control bed that made sleeping feel like home away from home. Our only complaint was that the walls were a little thin and didn't filter out heavy snorers next door, and that the floor/stairs were a little creaky. Otherwise no complaints!

The hosts were immaculate when it came to treating us with breakfast and afternoon appetizers, not to mention delicious cookies and milk to top off the evenings. They were very welcoming and friendly and always eager to chat and to entertain us with delightful Carroll witticisms. It was evident that great care was put into the presentation of each meal. A particular favorite of ours was the yummy JabberJuice that accompanied every breakfast.

We didn't feel like we were staying in a sterile "hotel" where we only spent nights, but rather felt like we were welcome to roam the whole grounds freely at any time of day and to partake in its charming pleasures. True to the theme, we felt like we were a part of a enchanting wonderland, far from the noisy Cannery Row and Monterey streetlife. If we got tired of walking around the Row or the Aquarium (only 4 blocks away!), we could always retreat to the cozy Jabberwock for rest.

If you aren't completely familiar with the Lewis Carroll works, don't fret! -- you can always find copies of the books in your room for catching up! All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed this quaint B&B and would absolutely return again sometime. Have a frabjous stay!

Beautiful House

by TripAdvisor Member GivemeaTfortravel

If you like Lewis Carroll this is the place for you. The house is beautiful as well. We stayed on the 3rd floor and it was such a sweet room. The new innkeepers are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is ok- not much if you are a healthy eater. But we would def. return if we were heading that way. You are in walking distance to the Cannery and the Warf. We were not impressed with either. You can drive to Carmel - the shopping is bland and overpriced - and see the beautiful beaches. The great part was driving the FREE scenic drive in Carmel. Why pay the admission for the 7 mile drive? Just drive past the shopping and make a left on the beach road and follow for a long time. The houses are stunning and it is fun to watch the surfers. With regard to eating - there isnt much in the way of original restaurants but we did find Isabella's on the Warf. They follow the aquarium's fish guidelines, the food was fresh and the service good.

Complete Nightmare, The New Owners are in over their heads

by TripAdvisor Member sheelanagig

When I was looking for a place for my husband and I to have a romantic trip, I called ahead and asked some very specific questions. My asthma has been hard to manage since I became pregnant, so I explained to the former owner Joan that I'm terribly allergic to scented laundry products, down feathers, and would need dairy-free breakfasts.

She promised me that they could accomodate my special needs. Reviews here by vegans and vegetarians also reassured me that at $250 a night, we just could not go wrong.

Things went very, very wrong. The new owners looked puzzled when I asked them to please remove the down pillows and comforters that were on the bed. The new Joan said "I'm very sympatheric to allergies" as she handed me a blanket that smelled like moth balls and Downy fabric softener.

When I asked if I needed to run out and buy soymilk for the next days' breakfast, she said, "Why would you need to do that?" I misinterpreted her response as meaning they already had it. Imagine my dismay when I ask for it at breakfast, to find out that they are serving cheese blintzes and didn't have anything else ready for me.

I eventually got my dairy-free breakfast. But it was like pulling teeth. Out of my ear.

It was not directly their fault that we got 4 hours' sleep the first night. The snoring coming from the room above us was a very boozy English gentleman who I'm sure meant no harm. But it was too loud to sleep, I could even hear the snoring from the sidewalk out fron at 6am, when I was calling around Monterey for another place to stay. The peninsula was booked.

But we couldn't sleep in, the private garden attached to our room was blasting with carpenters and power tools from 9 to 5. Not all the windows into the garden have shades, so one of the carpenters got to see me in my underwear. Not private, not relaxing.

When I explained all the difficulties to the Old Joan, the New Joan, and John, the Old Joan offered us a 20% discount and a gift certificate for a free night. John looked out the window and muttered, "the porch was supposed to be done by now," and the New Joan picked up the phone and made a grooming appointment for her giant, unruly, barking poodles.

I caught a look at our guest card during this conversation. Under notes it said only "no sachet."

The new folks never sent the gift certificate, which I had been told would be transferrable. I hadn't expected to stay there again, but we have some friends that travel in that area frequently.

The new folks never even responded to my emails asking after the gift certificate. And I can't contest the credit card charges.

My husband and I were exhausted and dismayed the entire trip because these people made us promises they didn't keep. I had to page my doctor twice to figure out extra medications to deal with all the things at the Inn aggravating my asthma, and I had even packed our own sheets and pillows in anticipation.

The whole thing was a heartbreaking nightmare.

A Great Inn and Innkeepers

by TripAdvisor Member HomebodyMI

What a delightful experience! John and Joan took over for the previous owners in August, and they are enthusiastic and excellent innkeepers! From the breakfast in the morning to the complimentary appetizers in the evening, you feel like a favored guest in a beautiful home. They provide directions, make reservations and recommendations for dining and have aquarium tickets available on-site. The inn is immaculately kept and quiet. You can have as much or as little interaction with the innkeepers and other guests as you wish, but you are missing out on the fun if you do not spend at least one night chatting over appetizers and drinks of your choice! Given the prices at the larger hotels in the area, the inn is also a good value in a great location. Don't miss staying here on your next trip to Monterey!

The perfect location for a reunion!

by TripAdvisor Member OrangeCountyRabbit

Thirteen good high school friends from the class of 1961 choose a week in March, 2007, to get together for a reunion. The Jabberwock proved to be the highlight of the get together. Perfect location, rooms comfortable, grounds spectacular and the breakfast and teas delightful....but best of all was the staff. We will be back in March 2008.

Loved the Jabberwock

by TripAdvisor Member huggie12

We had a wonderful stay at the Jabberwock! The inn is in a great location - only a block from everything - restaurants and all the tourist attractions - yet also in a very quiet location. The inn is completely hidden behind ivy so it is very quiet and private.

The owners and the innkeeper (Patty I believe) are very welcoming and friendly. We lost our jazz festival tickets and Patty called the ticket office for us and was so helpful. She is also a local to Monterey so she can tell you how to get anywhere.

The hors d'oeuvres, wine and freshly baked cookies at 5pm were wonderful - we did not even need to eat dinner!

The breakfast both mornings was wonderful and the owners were so diligent about refilling coffee and Jabberjuice the whole time. We also had a wonderful group of people staying at the inn at the same time as us for the Jazz Festival.

We also had a sleep number bed which my husband thought was wonderful. My only issue was that the room we stayed in (Mimsy) was very small, which is difficult to tell by the website, we would definitely stay there again but in a bigger room and there are plenty to chose from.

There were so many nice touches and very friendly people. Also the downstairs is very spacious, good to sit down and read a book or magazine with a view of the garden.

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it and we will stay again!

Can Not Wait To Go Back

by TripAdvisor Member charsacutter

We stayed at the Jabberwock in July of 07 We found the new owners Dawn and John to be very very accommodating! The Inn is beautiful!!! Breakfeast is great!!! Rooms are clean and tastefully decorated. Beds are very comfortable. Location is wonderful. What else could you want. I promise you anyone who stays at the Jabberwock will not be disappointed. As you can see by the reviews amost everyone loved the Jabberwock. Do not let one bad comment keep you from making a choice to spend a weekend there. You will love IT!!!!

17 mile drive17 mile drive

SharkShark

A quoteation from Cannery RowA quoteation from Cannery Row

Lighthouse AvenueLighthouse Avenue

Taking I-5 to monterey ?

by vishnuprasadh

Hi All,

I am will drive up from LA to monterey and was wondering the best of route. Mapquest, google and yahoo provide options which are different.
Option 1 : I-5 to CA 46W to 101N to CA68W
Option 2 : I-5 to CA 152 to CA 156 to CA 1S
Option 3 : I-5 to CA 33(1.5miles) to CA 198 to 101N to CA68W.

Also on my way back, I plan to go from Monterey-BigSur-SanSimeon and then connect somewhere onto I5 rather than drive CA1. Since, am the only driver up and down wanted to ensure its less stressful.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks very much guys.VT folks have always been very helpful..chz

Re: Taking I-5 to monterey ?

by Ewingjr98

I have driven two of the three routes you mention. Your option 2 is probably the most scenic with a great lake, some hilly terrain, and options for quick stops at great towns like San Juan Bautista, but it seems to be a bit further than the other two routes.

I drove across CA 46 (your option 1) last fall, and it was pretty flat and easy, but quite a bit of farm traffic across the valley. This would be my guess for the fastest route.

I have never driven your option 3 across 198, so I can't be of any help here.

Joe