Discovery Inn

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 25% less but rated 32% lower than other 3 star hotels

• NEGATIVE STINKY Discovery Inn in Napa, California

NEGATIVE STINKY Discovery Inn in Napa, California.‎ - ‎ - 2009-10-18
    Do not ever stay at the Discovery Inn in Napa, California. The room reeked of dog urine, after the powdery room spray that burned my sinuses wore off. It was so bad I could not sleep. At 4:30 am, I packed up and left. Horrible! Manager denied everything, no refund, blamed it on my dog and was quite scary to talk to at 5AM.

Unique Quality: NEGATIVE STINKY Discovery Inn in Napa, California.‎ - ‎ - 2009-10-18

Directions: Outskirts

More about Discovery Inn

A Hidden Jewel

by TripAdvisor Member TeddyMassachusetts

Pulling into the parking lot I said to myself, "what have I gotten myself into". But after checking in and seeing how clean the spacious room was and that I had wireless internet, my opinion started changing. I had been on the road for 10 hours that day and all I wanted to do is check my email and have a glass of wine. Lucky for me I stopped on the way to pick up that bottle.

The longer I stayed and looked around and realized how quaint and so NAPA was this little hotel. It would have been hard to find without my GPS, so bring your if you can. Of course I have become so reliant on mine that looking at a map is no longer in my vocabulary.

I am a salesperson on the road and just came from staying at the Weston in Pasadena, very nice hotel. But when I got to the Napa Discovery Inn I new I was home for the night. Moved my chair in front of my somewhat cottage, by the way where my car sat in it’s own parking spot out of the elements. Of course the only elements were the crescent moon starting to peek and the cool breeze flowing across my wine glass. When you can sit in the parking lot with your computer and a glass of wine, it does not get any better than that.

Not much of a view in the distance, but I would imagine if you have come from visiting vineyards all day, you have had your full. Buy the way, a modest breakfast served in the morning. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Thanks,
The weary traveler from Massachusetts

convenient discovery inn

by TripAdvisor Member sanmei

the discovery inn is located near downtown napa, and is a convenient drive/walk to some good bars and restaurants. it's not far from the wineries up north, and is itself clean, simple, and straightforward.

Excellent Hotel To Stay In Napa Valley

by TripAdvisor Member JazzyIn

I came here for 3 to 4 days but liked it so much that i had stayed for 2 weeks. The hotel is magnificent and I have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag me away from the hotel .It was so hot and busy there, I couldn't wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel. I was just expecting a few nibbles but breakfast is a cheeses fruit pastries etc. Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in on holiday and I am extremely fussy!

Home Away From Home

by TripAdvisor Member JeanInReno

Another delightful week in Napa at the Discovery Inn. I'm in town regularly for business and always look forward to my stay at the Discovery Inn. Mr. Patel and his family are kind and accommodating. LOVE the Belgian waffle, breakfast pastries, bagels with cream cheese, hot cereal, fruit juice and coffee for breakfast.
The refrigerator and microwave in my room make it easy to put together a simple dinner. I work hard all day then have my quiet evenings to get more work done with the high-speed Internet access. This is my home-away-from-home and the rates are the best in Napa.

Completely unprofessional

by TripAdvisor Member lillam705

I was completely fooled by the warm and inviting pictures and website. When I got to the inn, I was dissappointed. I was misinformed by the opening times of local wineries. The people at the front desk repeatedly harassed us into leaving/vacating the room even though is was not check out time yet. The bath towels were grey with spots. It was the most unpleasant stay I've ever been in.

Not bad!

by TripAdvisor Member SLKeyes

My sister and I stayed here 1 night for a short weekend trip in Napa. I was surprised by the large size of the rooms and the cleanliness. The towels were pretty rough but I didn't expect high quality either. Beds were actually pretty comfortable. I booked this on Priceline for $135/night. Not bad for Napa and weekend rates.

The hotel is right on the Silverado Trail, south end so all the wineries are farther north but it is a convenient location to those wineries as well as driving to downtown Napa, major roads, etc. Quiet and safe at night as well.

I would recommend this place to anyone on a budget and/or short stay.

You get what you pay for!

by TripAdvisor Member NanuNanu76

This property is basic but great value for money for what you get. You wouldn't want to stay here for weeks on end but we stayed there 1 night during out roadtrip and were perfectly comfortable. The owner is extremely friendly and helpful and the service that we got from him was great for a 2 star property. I would recommend this hotel for anyone on a budget who is passing through the area as part of a Napa tour. You get what you pay for, plus a great waffle making machine so make your own delicious waffles in the morning for breakfast!!!!

Do look back at the earlier reviews

by TripAdvisor Member redash

Booked this place after seeing the recent reviews were generally good.
Given the prices, some would say you get what you paid for. The towels were indeed very rough, they have a decent water pressure for the shower, and you get a covered car park.

Now the bad points:
* Very smelly room, didn't help even when we open the door to air it.
* Bedsheets were not changed for the duration of the stay. We know because the bedsheets were stained on the very first day.
* The TV was indeed very small, and totally not watchable as the colors were off and the screen was fuzzy
* Though it was advertised as remodelled, don't expect new furnitures, etc., the fittings look old.
* The room definitely was not spacious, at least mine wasn't.
* Breakfast was nothing to shout about, 1 waffle making machine, pastries, etc. all placed in a small counter top. Skipped the waffle as there seemed to be a layer of oil on the mix which I did not see in other inn's waffle mix.

Peeped into a corner room when the owners left the doors open in the morning and noticed the decor looked different and room appears more spacious. Maybe that was the more decent one that gather the positive reviews?

Anyway, I've stayed in a few AA approved inns for my trip and making a comparison, this is the worst one I've stayed, mainly due to the cleanliness factor, the smell, and the furnishing.

I concur with the previous reviewer that I would not stay another night even if offered a free night's stay and would recommend spending more on alternative lodgings to have a more enjoyable experience in Napa.

Twos Company, threes a crowd

by TripAdvisor Member ritzreview

From the beginning, my experience at this hotel was a negative one. When I arrived a the location, the front desk employee was on his cell phone and barely listened to a word I said. He was distracted and when I asked for the total he didn't respond until he had already swiped my card. When he gave me the receipt to sign it was a higher rate than what I was told over the phone. When I tried to explain to him that I was told to not worry about printing out the AAA coupon from their site and to just present my membership card, he raised his voice and became very frustrated. The first red flag should have been that after booking the hotel via the internet, I never received the confirmation that I was told I would. So after putting up with bad customer service, a higher price for the room, I was ready to just take a shower and get some rest. Unfortunately, after several unsuccessful swipes with my room key, I heard a knock on the other side of the door. Apparently, the previous guest thought the check out was past 8pm. When I told the manager, he asked me to come back in a half an hour so he could kick the guy out and then clean the room. I asked for my money back and found a room at The Chateau Hotel, about 30 dollars more per night but well worth the great customer service, pool, clean room, and most importantly it was unoccupied when I opened the door.

Comments