500 Main St., Napa, California, 94559, United States

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• atufft's Profile Photo

Old Mill Converted into a Hotel

This historic old mill has been creatively redesigned to include hotel suites above, and restaurants, nightclubs, and shopping below. This is an excellent location for those interested in visiting the outstanding Carneros region, which is right near San Pablo Bay, and for having some access to the lower Sonoma Valley regions, as well as the Napa Valley in general. I haven't stayed here, but expect this architectural redo to be very impressive. Check out the web link below for lodging details and history of the place.

Directions: Part of the Napa River Walk complex just south of the 3rd Street Bridge in Downtown Napa.

More about Napa River Inn

Wonderful stay at the Napa River Inn

Classy, convenient, couteous service, yummy breakfast delivered to the room in the morning, passes to free wine tasting. This was an excellent deal.

Great food, great ambience

by Herkbert about Angele

I saw karenincalifornia's description of the restaurant and decided to give it a try. Located in the town of Napa, next to the Napa River Inn, this restaurant was a great treat. We strolled in on a Sunday afternoon without a reservation and were seated right away at an outdoor table overlooking the Napa River.

The food was french in nature but went well with our selections of Napa Valley wines. The menu was varied and we had no problem choosing some delectable treats. Add to the good food, attentive, friendly service and delightful french bistro music and you have a great afternoon meal.

I would definitely recommend that you visit Angele when visiting Napa.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Barbwire007

The Napa River Inn was suggested to me by a friend in the hotel business. I also checked the reviews on Tripadvisor because it's always been so helpful. The place was very nice, very clean and I loved the amenities. I stayed in a room that had a balcony overlooking the beautiful garden. It was quiet and my family and I loved it.

Also the breakfast was more than I expected.

I drove around Napa and although I didn't look in any of the other Inn's, I thought the Napa River Inn had the best location right in downtown and on a dead end street.

had a wonderful time in Napa

by TripAdvisor Member DanaB2478

My fiance and I spent a week at the Napa River Inn. We absolutely loved it. The room was not luxurious, but it was better than average. We had white robes with the hotel emblem on them and coffee in the room. We also had free breakfast from sweetie pies and a copy of the daily newspaper brought to our room every morning in an adorable wicker basket. We had a fire place too which added to the romantic atmosphere of Napa. The only down side was the bathroom was a little small and the decor was not my style, but these are MINOR complaints! Overall, I would certainly stay there again.

Great Downtown Hotel

I was on this website looking up other hotels when I came across the Napa River Inn. I thought I'd write to let other users know about how great the Napa River Inn is. My husband and I have stayed there 3 times since it's opened and have never had a bad stay. We have gotten a different room each time and in two of the buildings. It is a little confusing as to which rooms have which features but as you upgrade in room type, you upgrade in price. We usually stay in a superior room and have been happy each time. I think maybe some people aren't aware of how much rooms cost in Napa (we've never found a hotel under $150) and may think this hotel is expensive but we think its a great value and the breakfast is great. If you are looking for something inexpensive, the travelodge looked OK when we drove by. Also, try Angele Restaurant at the Napa Mill for dinner, it's fabulous. Make reservations - we had to sit at the bar.

What a beautiful place and the staff was so nice!

We just returned from our stay at the Napa River Inn and we were really impressed with the value of their rooms. We are used to paying $400 plus at some other hotels in the Valley and decided to try this new hotel. The Napa Mill Complex (I think is what it's called) has so much to do, the only time we left was to visit a few wineries. We dined at Celadon and Angele for dinner and had Sweetie Pies breakfast delivered to the room. They had live music on stage by the river, so we sat and had a glass of wine while we listened. The staff was top notch and we were really impressed with all the service we were provided. We highly recommend this hotel! Also, we didn't see any construction on the river (I remember reading something mentioned about this) and our view from our room was great.

Save your money!!

Read the language on the web site carefully about what type of room you get and how much you'll pay. My husband and I made reservations, and asked specifically for a room with a fireplace and balcony. When we arrived, we had a room without either a fireplace or a balcony and the room rate was more than we were quoted on the phone. When we asked about the discrepancy, we were shown that the language is vague and that the fireplace and patio only apply to SOME rooms you request - even though we had specifically requested that and were told we could upgrade for an upgrade in price. Very disappointing. The staff said they'd do what they could, but there were no other rooms available. The bottom line is that we paid a TON of money for a room that we could have gotten at the Marriott or the Hilton for $150 a night. Also this is NOT close to the wineries. Look farther north on 29 if you're going to do a lot of touring of the wineries, it will save you a good 15 minutes or so. Sweetie Pies was the only saving grace...the breakfasts were good. But save your money and don't believe what you read on the web site or what they tell you on the phone!

A different experience

My entire family chose this hotel to use as our "base" when exploring the valley, although we live in North CA, we hadn't been to Napa for 30 years. My three brothers and I gathered with our spouses, to celebrate my mother's 85th birthday. The Inn is one of the Historic Inns of America and is different than the B & B experience, or the chain hotel experience. The physical set-up is a little different, the main buildings have a varied and multifaceted background, and just reading about the history is fascinating. We found the set-up with the old mill at the apex of the 'spread" to be a delightful departure from the norm.
We ate at both of the restaraunts, and had breakfast at the Napa General Store (or we could have chosen Sweetie Pies) ALL of the food was terrific, and the wait staff at each place couldn't be more accommodating. We had rooms all over the place and found that we preferred the rooms in the Embarcadero building - and it seemed as though the corner rooms were the nicest - but we only had 5 rooms amongst us, so hard to sample them all. Spent a lot of time with the concierge via e-mail before we arrived to get ideas about what to see and where to go - hard to narrow it down on just a 3 day week end - they were a great help, all of their recommendations were just right.
The desk staff and everyone else were wonderful as well. We all recommend this place and will stay here again. Only small point, was there was some uneveness in quoted room rates confirmations. Small communication issues that the staff reconciled later...seemed very eager to please.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Sort of a sweet and sour opinion. No nice views (choice of parking lot or channelled industrial river), but nice room decor. Effective heat and AC. Great breakfasts from Sweetie Pies or Napa General Store, with the edge to Sweetie's for the double size fresh squeezed juice, but some corridors in one of the hotel buildings smell of bakery. Staff is very friendly when all goes well, but is curiously unhelpful with problems, as if each worker, up to and including the manager, is "not authorized" to act on his own to mollify an upset guest. Seems the evening staff can't clean up a room if the day staff missed it, and no one in the evening can find hair conditioner or kleenex. And they get defensive, which is not the way to charm the savage guest. Celedon Restaurant is a steal for the quality of food provided (reserve!). Greenhaus Spa is an OK day spa. Location is near a wonderful wine bar and some neat shops and restaurants. Location is farthest south end of the Napa Valley, maximizing your travel distances for winery tours, but providing the only easy connection to the Sonoma Valley. Overall, for the money, a place actually in the vineyards would be a better choice.

Good, Bad, bad

I was hoping the best when I read some of the previous reviews before the trip. Lets start with the positive. I loved Sweetie Pies breakfast delivered to you door in the morning, great food!! The rooms/linens were great. Thats it. I wish I would of stayed at a B&B. We arrived and our room wasnt ready. They asked us to come back. So we did 3 hours later, we did and it still wasnt ready. They didnt seem to care, they said it was a full house and the cleaning staff was busy. SSOOOO as they should be. We received discount. Then the 2 nd day, we were out all day wine tasting and returned at 5pm to a uncleaned room again, same excuse. We went to dinner, the cleaning lady came and didnt even clean or vacuum. The crumbs from breakfast were still on the floor and the bed wasnt even completely made. This problem is a easy one to fix.....hire more cleaning people or fire the ones you have

Best hotel in Napa/Sonoma for girls getaway?

by scottsdalemom

Hi!

I've been reading Tripadvisor, and lots of great reviews on a number of places in the Napa area.... but my girlfriend and I are looking for relaxation and a nice social scene/hotel bar, or reasonably close access to shops and restaurants. I noticed a lot of the reviews were posted by couples... and we're a couple of busy working moms getting away... any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

by brotherleelove

Focus your search on Calistoga so you can take advantage of the mud baths and hotsprings spas.

by travelgourmet

Girls getaway. Great and lucky you. One of the nicest areas is overlooked by many. Where is that one location that is close to everything. Well, for me that would be Napa, itself. Yes, there are great places up and down Hwy 29, from Napa to Calistoga, 35 miles away. Calistoga is the north end of the Napa Valley, so that puts it the furthest from San Francisco or Sonoma. A quaint town is St. Helena and also Yountville with many fine accommodations. My choice would be the Napa River Inn, not only for the rooms but the location that matches your desires. Check it out at: http://www.napariverinn.com/

by MsLinzLou2

When are you coming to the Napa Valley?

Comments