Old World Inn

1301 Jefferson St, Napa, California, 94559, United States

More about Old World Inn

The Old World Inn was Fantastic!

This was our first B &B experience. The bar has been set. Russ and Sharon run a first class bed and breakfast. Both are very hospitable and extremely helpful. Our family stayed in the Walden Cottage and there was enough room for the three of us. The cottage was very cozy, clean and quaint. The movie projection system is awesome. The breakfasts were wonderful. What a great experience!

Old World Charm with Modern Amenities

by TripAdvisor Member gtec

My wife and I just returned from our first trip together to Napa. We had a wonderful experience throughout the three-day two-night trip from San Francisco due in no small part to Russ and Sharon and the Old World Inn.

We had read some reviews on this site and checked out their own website, where the inn sounded and looked nice enough. We were won over by Russ, the extremely personable owner who was very helpful in making dining reccommendations when we originally booked on the phone.

Upon arrival at the inn we were greeted warmly by Sharon who gave us a brief tour and showed us to our room.

To our surprise we found a jacuzzi tub and home theatre projection system discreetly placed in the room. We loved the King bed and watched four movies from the extensive dvd library (no fee) during our stay.

Breakfast each day was scrumptious snd elegantly presented and evening sweet treats were well received. Russ even got us into a private tour of a picturesque winery in Calistoga.

Overall, we had a truly enjoyable Napa Valley experience and would highly reccommend this inn to those who love the B&B lifestyle.

This is a first rate B&B!!!

Russ and Sharon are the owners of the Old World Inn and are true professionals. This is the best B&B we have ever stayed in. It is very well maintained. The rooms are large and nicely furnished. Our bed was perfect. Breakfast was a delight every day.

Another strength of this B&B is the knowledge the owners have of the area. Russ and Sharon always provided excellent referrals for both restaurants and wineries. They made our trip very memorable.

Less than we expected

Our recent stay at the Old World Inn was OK, but not up to our expectations. We found the inn to be clean but modest, and our room was smaller than we expected. Also, the location is on a very busy street near downtown and was noisy. We did enjoy meeting the innkeepers who were friendly and offered to help us with wine tasting and restaurant suggestions. Overall though, we felt we paid more than we should have.

Unique comfort and privacy / we loved Walden Cottage

While reserving our second visit to the Old World Inn, we were surprised to read the review below that was, to say the least, quite negative. After staying last February in the Walden Cottage at the Old World Inn in Napa, California, we have just rebooked the room for three nights this September as we celebrate 24 wonderful years of marriage together. Russ and Sharon are very down to earth people who took great care of Karen and I without smothering us. Walden Cottage is set behind the main house, and it is a steal when you consider comparable cottages in the Napa area. The jetted tub is just the right size for two, and the gas fireplace is visible from throughout the room. The most unique feature of the room is an 80" wide screen with surround sound speakers that are built into the canopy of the bed. I'm not sure when we would have noticed this in-bed cinema if Russ had not pointed it out to us and rolled down the screen. If you enjoy movies, it is a remarkable experience to lie together and be immursed in the surround-sound system and the large screen picture playing at the foot of the bed. Russ and Sharon also offer a large selection of free DVD's for the guests use. We viewed "the Commitments", a good choice for R&B fans. Our last stay was topped off the next morning with an excellant breakfast. This was only the second time in many years that Karen and I have requested a recipe at a B&B, and it was cheerfully provided. Our experience and memories of our first visit to the Old World Inn are such that, as I mentioned above, we will be celebrating our 24th anniversary in Walden Cottage. If you desire unique privacy and a romantic experience, we highly recommend Russ and Sharon's Old World Inn. Jeff & Karen Lynch

My Home Away From Home!

by TripAdvisor Member NapaGal2U

With my hectic work schedule I needed a little R&R and headed to the Napa Valley for the weekend. From the moment I entered the gracious Old World Inn the Innkeepers, Sharon and Russ, made me feel like I was a guest in their home. I felt like an old friend. The Inn is very warm and inviting. I enjoyed the wine hour with a local winery sharing their wine and information as well as meeting and enjoying the company of fellow guests. Late evening sweet treats was a delight as well. Then on to a spa bath in my own room followed by a movie from their vast DVD library on a large screen discretely hung in my room – it was an incredible experience! A hearty breakfast in the morning and I was on my way to explore the Valley for the day. The best part was knowing I had a “home away from home to return to!”

Great Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member eatoranges

I stayed in the Moonlight Sonata with my fiancee. Very romantic room especially at night. Russ and Sharon are great. They make scrumptious cookies and desset. They helped us with reservations to restaurante allegra and got us a free appetizer. They helped us plan our tour around napa and let us know which wineries would offer free wine tasting if we let them know we stayed at the Old World Inn. I asked for the rose petals to be strewn across our room after dinner. They timed it perfectly. Very helpful and warm people. The only concern for me for me was that the location is close to downtown napa. Cars running late night kept my financee up, but didn't bother me. I would DEFINATELY visit again. Projection screen is very nice as well.

Like staying with family

The Old World Inn is an unbelievable place to stay. I was planning a birthday surprise for my boyfriend and was very nervous about making sure everything was perfect. After visiting the website, I called the Inn to make reservations. The room I had chosen wasn't available, but after speaking with Russ he explained all the little nuances of the other rooms available. I was so relived to hear that we could stay in the Alegria room which turned out better than I ever could have imagined. Both Sharon and Russ helped me out in planning everything and keeping it a secret on top of that. They arranged a hot air balloon ride, dinner at a great Italian restaurant, and a couples massage in the room at the Inn. Upon arriving to the Inn we were greeted by the smell of fresh baked cookies and smiling faces. They took care of all our needs and made us feel at home. Both Sharon and Russ love working at the Inn and are always looking for ways to make a guest's stay more enjoyable. They love owning the Inn and it really shows in everything they do. We will definitely return for another stay.

Loved it!

We had a fabulous time during our stay in early October. It was so relaxing, and we’re still talking about the great leather sofas in the sitting room! Our room, Moonlight Sonata, was so precious, and I just loved the clawfoot tub in the bathroom. And the towels were super fluffy!

The breakfasts were delicious (especially the fruit and yogurt courses, and the mushroom quiche), and I really liked sitting with the other guests. It was a great way to hear about the restaurants and wineries other people had visited.

Napa itself was beautiful. Artesa had gorgeous views and great wines, and Peju Provence was a gem. We ate at Pilar one evening and found the atmosphere, food, and staff to be wonderful.

Room did not meet expectations

Our room needed a good cleaning (under the bed was a good inch of dust), and several updates. The jacuzzi tub had wood encasement that seemed to be dirty/moldy/ or rotting, and the garden furniture's paint was peeling. Comfortor and Linens had seen better days( very faded/thin). The mattress was lopsided/seemed old. We stayed in the Walden Cottage and did not realize it faced the parking area.

The Inn is on an extremely busy street and although you can walk to the downtown area, you must cross a very, very busy street.

Russ and Sharon were helpful with making reservations and giving suggestions, however we were slightly annoyed at the many times we tried to get assistance but they were on the phone, or on a conference call.

INN did not = the very expensive price tag...

Lounge car.Lounge car.

WINE BARWINE BAR

TASTE SAMPLING DONE HERETASTE SAMPLING DONE HERE

GREEK INSPIRED BELL TOWERGREEK INSPIRED BELL TOWER

affordable transportation for two in napa

by matttracey

My husband and I are planning a trip to Napa in mid-November. Although we are driving and will have our own car, we would like one day where we can both enjoy wine country without worrying about who is driving. I've checked out some limo websites but the costs seem a bit extravagant for two people. Are there any suggestions for something a little more affordable? Thanks!

RE: affordable transportation for two in napa

by travelgourmet

Yes is the answer to more affordable and still first class. If staying in San Francisco there is a tour for only $72 per person. If staying in Napa Valley the tour cost is $69 per person. Check out my travel pages or other VTers for Napa Valley for the day you are free to help you get an incite on things to do, see, and eat. If you take a tour make sure the wineries visited on tour are not the same ones you visit on your own. Besides the VT Napa Valley pages the website for the tour is: http://www.evanstransportation.com/napa_public_tours.shtml

RE: affordable transportation for two in napa

by squidly2

Another option, my husband and I took the Napa wine shuttle for a day, and enjoyed it very much. It was $49 per person per day last year, now it's $52 per person per day according to their website (maybe due to the price of gas).
Here's their website: http://www.wineshuttle.com/reservations.html.
It is a very comfortable van, maybe 8 or 10 passengers.

Comments