3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Travelocity Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Near Pier 32 Marina

This hotel is located near the Pier 32 Marina which is the newest development in National City. It's still a developing section of town and getting nicer and nicer. I came out to this area especially, about six months ago, to check it out. At that time it was pretty barren. Now, the whole area is beginning to look more appealing and pretty. The landscaping is still going up, but they've really done a nice job around the hotel in the front entrance, the hotel grounds and surrounding the hotel.

The hotel built on the site was meant to be a Hilton. Fortunately Hilton backed out and the B.W. Marina Gateway stepped in. So, Hilton quality is offered at Best Western prices. No wonder I was impressed.

So, I returned to interview this hotel and to see how things are coming along. I'd love to see this historic part of National City thrive. Nikki Kath was the manager on duty. She was very nice and accommodating even though she was busy with guests and training a new desk clerk. When I asked to see a room, frankly I was surprised to find out that they had "only one" room to show me. Nikki personally gave me a tour of the available room, the snazzy gym, the small business center and she allowed me to take photos in all the public places.

The room was standard, two queen beds a fair size, the bathroom was small but not too bad. They had a small microwave and refrigerator in the room, a nice sized TV and all the regular stuff one expects. I liked the art work on the walls and the room colors were quiet and calming. Everything was neat, clean and I was impressed. Everyone was nice and friendly from the Manager, the desk clerks, the housekeepers, the grounds men and even several guests smiled at me and said "Good Morning." All in all a very pleasant place to stay. No wonder the hotel was full! Comic-Con! I didn't even think of that until I was leaving through the lobby and say quite a few new arrivals from the airport, and though they didn't have costumes on, I had a strong feeling they had them in their suit cases.

Their on-site restaurant was Busters Beach House, but it seems that Buster's went bust. Another restaurant has taken over and I don't know anything about it yet. To Be Continued....

Unique Quality: This Best Western offers all the usual amenities that others do and besides the fact that it is newly built, it is nice and clean and it holds to the typical standards expected from a BW hotel. There is plenty of free parking or if you won't have a car, they offer shuttle service to and from the Trolley which is pretty unusual. Another thing that I noticed, is that at both the pool and the Jacuzzi, there is a mechanical lift for a person who is bound to a wheelchair. That was pretty neat.

The Trolley station is near and the trains toot their loud horns also there is a shipping dock with thousands of cars arriving daily to stock the dealerships on the Mile of Cars, there are a great many huge car carriers driving past the hotel all day, everyday which can be pretty noisy.

I asked Nikki if the rooms were sound proof. Though she didn't say yes, she did say she's not had many complaints about noise. So, it was interesting to me that when we went to the room, which was facing the front of the hotel near the truck laden street, that I did not hear them driving past at all. Nor did I hear the Trolley.

So, if you are not on a stringent budget and you prefer to stay in something other than a cheaper motel, this is the place I would highly recommend that you take a look at.

More about National City