4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Best on the Bay

I've stayed here several times. The rooms are a great value for the price and often times include breakfast in the Sol restuarant. The hotel isn't near the beach but overlooks the Back Bay which has great walking, jogging, and cycling paths. The hotel is also walking distance to Fashion Island (an uphill walk though) - a world class retail center. Also very close by is Balboa Island and the ferry to the penninsula beaches.

More about Hyatt Regency Newport Beach

Not recommended

I just completed my weekend stay at the newly-renovated Hyatt Newport Beach. I must say that despite the multi-million dollar renovations, this resort hotel still looks rather tired. I am not a very demanding guest, yet I left this place feeling extremely let down. The grounds and building structures are visibly aging, and the swimming pools have not been updated, so they look like the usual ones you find in an average Comfort Inn, only bigger. I took a stroll around the hotel's 26-acre property and I wasn't impressed. A claimed 4-star 'resort' hotel should really do better! It seems like only the rooms were renovated, but honestly, what's the point if I can hear my neighbor every time he turns on the shower? It was LOUD. The TV reception was also very poor for basic channels like CNBC and TNT. The Hyatt Irvine (about 10 minutes drive down the same road) as well as the Hyatt Hungtington Beach are MUCH nicer properties worth visiting. They don't cost much more and their rooms are also more superior. Overall, stay away from the Hyatt Newport Beach unless you get a terrific rate.

Loved our stay at the Hyatt

My wife and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hyatt Newport Beach and we enjoyed everything about it. Was somewhat worried after reading earlier reviews but frankly do not understand many of the complaints. The grounds are very nice and well maintained and our room in the Balboa building was large, clean, quiet and well-decorated. We had no problems with noise either in our room or in the pool area (which also was very nice and not crowded). We especially enjoyed having drinks around the fire pit outside the Sandbar Lounge. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and courteous. Also thought the location was very nice immediately around the hotel and was very convenient to many fine restauraunts on the PCH and easily accessible to the beach community on Balboa Peninsula. I think the complaints about the airport traffic would be true of just about any place in Newport Beach. I didn't find it very bothersome while at the pool and could barely hear the planes while in the room with the AC on. We got a very good rate on priceline but would not have felt cheated if we had paid the price listed on expedia or hyatt.

Noise and price Issues at the Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NIrishtraveler

Booked this hotel through Priceline at $88 per night. Excellent rate but I would not want to pay full price for this hotel. The Bay Room bedroom was compact but clean and nicely furnished. The bathroom was less than small - it was tiny. Size does matter!
Sound proofing with adjoining room was poor. Jets take off from John Wayne every morning from6.30am pass right overhead - not recommended for a light sleeper. Grounds very well maintained.
We passed oin Sunday brunch at $37 per person and were charged $21 for 45 minute business center internet access. Just ok if you get a good deal.

Great for the price I got - but NOISY!

From the outside, this place looks fabulous. beautiful lobby, great bar, well maintained landscaping. My friend and I stayed the nights of May 21st and 22nd and looked forward to a great time there.

Well maintained landscaping, clean grounds, super friendly staff (especially Haddy, front desk and Michael, Golf/Bike Kiosk), delicious food at Sol, well stocked bar. Nice clean room with balcony, wonderful beds, beautiful surroundings and view!

My only complaint is that it is so NOISY! The planes, I can handle. I pretty much knew beforehand it was close to an airport, so no biggie there.

HOWEVER... To let drunk people scream and be obnoxious by the pool for HOURS is a problem. My friend and I were there for a relaxing weekend and decided to lay out by the pool for some sun and quiet conversation. When we got there, we were greeted by a table of folks that had a cooler full of Budweiser and were smoking up a storm. They were cussing and letting their children run loose, jumping in the pool - right next to us of course, as to splash us. It was horrific. If it was a low budget motor hotel, I could understand, but this is a HYATT! If I had complained, they probably would have done something about it, but it just wasn't worth the hassle at that point.

We ended up leaving the pool area and using the incredible spa services at Gaylee Spa there on the premises, for a facial and massage (Danny is the BEST masseur!!) Then rented bikes there at the hotel (Thanks Michael!!) Took the bikes over to Balboa Island and spent the rest of the time away from the hotel. The next morning at 7am, there were children running screaming through the garden area under our balcony.. and at night if the guy next door turns on his shower, or has the TV on, you can hear it. Also the doors slam VERY LOUD.

Thankfully one of the front desk night guys (Haddy, we called him Hottie) was kind enough to actually ask the guest upstairs to turn down his TV, as it was blasting. He joked, "I guess he was really into that Desperate Housewives TV show!" Wonderful to have someone fix something AND have a sense of humor about it. It was very much appreciated.

I love the people that work there, the property and the ammenities. The valet guys, bellman and front desk folks are so friendly, kind and accomodating. As are the bartenders and waiters at Sol. They train their staff very well, and do a great job of hiring nice people.

All in all a great stay - but if it is noisy, complain and they should set it right.

Hyatt Regency Newport - Nice

by TripAdvisor Member vegasdiscounts

Like the others, I too had some issues. The rooms are rather noisy, the airplanes only seem to go over once and a while and a couple times around 7pm. Not all day. Not low. About 10 seconds of medium to light noise. Thats it.

Stayed 3 nights (Still here) writing on my laptop with the free high speed internet connection in the room. Memorial Day weekend, 5/27-30.

Room was in Catalina building, right off the lobby. Nice decoration, beautiful remodel. Very classy. Beds very comfortable, bathroom small.

Balcony overlooking upper bay and Ampitheatre. Did hear neighbor turn on water, did hear a bit of chatter in the halls, but no kids running and no honeymooners (darn it) so it was realatively quite. If it was a loud group you would hear it. The buildings are old. The book says built in early 60's.

Grounds are beautiful. Pools are old, but replastered and smooth and nice. The decking around is nice and they are all super clean and big. 3 pools and tried all 3. They also are not chlorine filled, but that new salt stuff, so they are also not hard on the eyes or the skin or the clothes.

Valet is $18 a day. Self Parking is $12.

One drawback is food. One restaurant and room service. There is a bar open to anyone until 8 but it is the room service menu and limited. Nothing close to walk to, so could improve selections in the menu. Did spend $$$ in the room service.

Overall GREAT! Not worth $200 a night but for $150 or less, you can't miss.

Nice older hotel, restaurant a rip off

by TripAdvisor Member silverjym

Rooms have been renovated, grounds are lovely with extensive landscaping and specimen palm trees. Three heated good sized pools and large hot tubs. Bathrooms very skimpy on amenities. Shower curtains do not contain water from showers regardless of how I tried to position shower curtain. A large amount of water leaks on to floor. Be careful as bath floors are marble and this could be dangerous. Beds very comfortable with high thread count linens. In room courtesy safe, pretty good coffee, iron, hair dryer and refrigerator (which was iced over and did not work). Heated pools, golf course on grounds. Staff very friendly but housekeeping needs some improvement. I arrived after 4:00 pm and room service breakfast trays still outside many, many doors. Huge laundry carts parked right in front of central court fountain (they could not find anywhere else to park the dirty laundry carts?). Good sized gym with lots of new equipment (everything worked!). There is a spa. Front desk and car valet staff extremely friendly and professional.

Do not pay extra for "bay view rooms". These have view of street, Newport Dunes parking lot and only very distant view of Newport's back bay. Not worth the extra money. Watch out for parking charges. If you go over even by one minute you will be charged another 24 hours. Parking attendant says guests complain a lot about this policy. Self parking is quite a long ways from rooms and you must walk up and down a moderately steep incline from the parking lot. Valet is $15.00/day.

Restaurant is one of the worst I've eaten in at a hotel of this caliber. Extremely limited menu and outrageously overpriced for small, cold portions. Service took an hour to take order and deliver food even though restaurant had only a few patrons. Even by hotel restaurant standards, this restaurant is a rip off. The Back Bay Cafe within walking distance (its within Newport Dunes) had an excellent, reasonably priced breakfast with excellent service.

Noise was not a problem in rooms as airport closes at night. I got room for $100 on ebay but other people I talked to said they got rooms on ebay for $80. I would not pay over $100. The place is nice, it just does not completely come up to the standards one expects of a Hyatt.

not a 4 star, but not terrible

by TripAdvisor Member east12

We stayed at the Hyatt last Monday night. I read the reviews here too late to cancel the reservation. All in all, the experience was not bad, but I wouldn't consider it a 4 star hotel. We paid a lot more than many of the other reviewers. It would have been a bargain at $100, but we paid over $200.

Our room was very large because it was an end room. The bay view was mostly a view of the unsightly roof below. The air conditioning was quiet and the bed was extremely comfortable. The room has a small area with a tiny refrigerator, sink and marble counter for the coffee maker, etc. There is no electrical outlet there to plug it in so I ended up brewing the coffee on the floor.

The bathroom is below average. There is very little room for toiletries. The towels were thin, grayish, and smelled sour. There are no robes provided.

The pool is large and we were able to enjoy a few hours of sunshine there after 5 days of June Gloom in San Diego.

Our rate included complimentary continental breakfast or a $10 credit towards a cooked to order breakfast. My omelette was $12 and it was very good. It came with asparagus and a broiled tomato. They were happy to substitute a bowl of fresh fruit for the fingerling potatoes. Coffee was extra. The service was good.

It was our last night before flying home the next morning. We had stayed at the Estancia La Jolla for 2 nights and the Pacific Terrace for 3 nights--both hotels far superior to the Hyatt.

Great grounds, average room, high prices

we've been going to the Hyatt Newporter for years and love the place. Not having been there since 1998 we were anxious to see the place after the recent renovations. Sad to say I saw no evidence of renovations at all. The grounds were as gorgeous as ever and our room was nice but nothing special, basically the same as in 1998. Parking in the self-parking lot was always inconvenient but free in the past (now it's $12 per day!). We got a AAA discount and paid $160 on a Thursday night and $180 on a Friday night (taxes additional). For that price I would have expected fresh bars of soap each day. On Friday night there was a noisy Jazz Concert in the amphitheater which brought huge crowds that clogged up the place.
We still love the place though. We love the grounds and pools and visiting nearby Balboa Island and beach.

Comments