900 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach, California, 92660, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa

Best Service of All Marriotts

by TripAdvisor Member SeminarTrekker

I was on a business trip in Irvine, CA in the middle of March of 2007. I also visited the campus of the University of California at Irvine.

I stayed at the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel & Spa located on a bluff overlooking the Newport Beach Isles and Pacific Ocean. This propertly is located right across the street from the Fashion Island Mall. Originally I was planning on staying at either Hyatt or Hilton in nearby Irvine but I am glad I made a last minute switch. This locale is much better than the Hotels in Irvine which are mostly located either next to the 405 Freeway or near the John Wayne International Aiport. There is not much other than other office buildings.

The Marriott Newport Beach setting is much more quiet, airy, breezy and you have a glorious view of the Pacific Coastline. My check was really early but no problem, the very friendly and efficient Marriott Front Desk person found me a quiet room on the tenth and top of floor of one of the Harbor Pointe tower (there are two towers at this property).

As mentioned in other reviews of this property, I parked across the street at the Fashion Island Mall and saved money.

The hotel rooms have courtyard in the middle that goes up to the sky, so your doors lead to open air xterior. My room had recently been remodeled so everything was nice and new. I chad great view from the balcony. The bed was real comfy and room was quiet. It was great to be able to walk out on the balcony and sit and enjoy the splendid view. The rooms were cleaned immaculately and the bathroom was spotless.

The room climate controls were great, plus you could open your sliding glass door to the balcony and let the Pacific Ocean's winds into your room and sit out on the balcony and enjoy the splendid sunny and breeze.

As a Marriott Rewards member, I received a complimentary speciality drink at the Starbucks in the lobby. The staff at the Starbucks were very friendly and efficient.

In the lobby there was complentary Fresh Strawberry Water Drink and/or Fresh Lemon Water Drink. Both were yummy and refreshing. Whenever I went in and out of the hotel I was greated by very friendly greetings by the staff. While I was in the Sam & Harrys Resturant located in lobby floor, one of the cooks came out and talked with me a bit. The breakfast buffet is one of the best breakfast buffets of any of the other Marriotts I have visited. I rank it up with the breakfast buffet at the Marriott South Beach in Miami!

I worked out in the one of the best Marriott Gyms, located on the bottom floor, below the lobby which leads out to the swimming pool. This is one of the best Hotel gyms that I have been to. Plenty of machines and free weight stations. Complementary warm and cold water. Complementary fruit.
Chilled towels. Individual t.v. monitors on many of the stationary machines. The attendant at the Gym was very friendly too.

Across the street of this Marriott property is the Fashion Island Mall and at this mall I ate at Cheesesteak Factory (Excellent service and tasty food), The Daily Grille (Very good service and good food but pricey) and at the Food Court.

I highly recommend the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa as both a business and pleasure destination. The area is much nicer than the Hotel properties in Irvine! I would rank this Marriott property better than the Marriott South Beach, Marriott Residence Inn Times Square and Marriott Residence Inn Beverly Hills. Kudo to the Management & Staff at this property. I will stay here again!

Great Anniversary Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member jamesquine

It was fast approaching our 10 year anniversary and we wanted to go away somewhere to get massage and spa treatments and be pampered. First we booked the Coronado in San Diego, but with us each wanting at least one treatment per day, the price added up too high. Then we tried Ojai Valley Spa, same problem. Then my wife's mom mentioned the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel & Spa. We checked their website and they had a weekday special for around $379/night, including a 60 minute massage (which you could upgrade to 90 minutes and pay the difference). For that price, it included valet parking and an ocean front room. The hotel was beautiful. They just spent 70 MILLION dollars remodeling, and they did a great job. The lobby is georgeous. We stayed in the main building where the registration is (I suggest requesting it). They gave us a beautiful room (huge shower, no bathtub). Great view of mostly the golf course but ocean in the distance between far away trees. Pool and jacuzzi down below. We got there early and they held our bags and we went into the spa for our first treatment - a great way to start the trip. Got a facial and massage, then took a eucalipus steam sauna and jacuzzi in their plush new spa (separate for men & women). The service was fantastic, and I tipped them for it too. We were hungry and at at their restaurant and the lunch was fantastic (substantially better priced and tasting than the dinner). We walked across the street to Fashion Mall, then came back and had coffee at the Starbucks in the hotel! We kept doing the massages, treatments, food, Starbucks (and some other private stuff in the room), plus watched some movies On Demand. We absolutely loved it. Stayed two nights and 3 days. The only thing to be aware of is the 18% automatic tip included in spa services (even on the portion you get included in your rate), plus the fact that our bill was close to $1500 for two nights, even though our room rate was only $379/night, or $758 for both nights. The rest was food, extra treatments, my wife had her hair and nails done, and we bought a "Life is Good" t-shirt in the sundry shop. Taxes and all that other stuff added up. Anyway, if I had stayed at one of the other places and gotten all the treatements and food, it probably would have cost me $2000-$2500 at least. We will definately go back, I just have to make sure I have the money saved up, instead of racking up my credit card.

Really enjoyed our stay here

by TripAdvisor Member Tubster

Travelled down from Disney to spend a few days in the area before moving on further down the coast.
The check in desks are all separate, which is a nice touch. ALL the staff we encountered were polite, cheerful and ready to help.
We had been given a room on the 9th floor, with a beautiful view of the Back Bay , the golf course and the coast.Beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was huge,! Room was a strange shape, not the normal room shape, and the closet was really tiny, but that wasn't a problem for us.
We were staying in the Towers ( I think thats right) part of the hotel. It was a long walk past all the meeting rooms, as this hotel is big. They do leave out pitchers of ice cold water and lemonade along the way to keep you going though!
We did not eat in the restaurant at night ( we walked over to Fashion Island where there is ample choice ), but used the Starbucks in the hotel for breakfast (fruit, danish,muffins).
We used the laundry while we there, as it was much cheaper than using the hotel cleaning service.
While we were there, every day there were meetings and conferences going on, as well as two weddings . This did not detract from how helpful and cheerful the staff were.
We drove down the southern coast of California for 3 weeks, staying at many hotels. This hotel , mainly because of its staff, was probably the best of the trip.

small room, great service

by TripAdvisor Member baybee63

we received a discount price for the room of 220 dollars for 3 nights as a timeshare promotion. We were surprised at the small size of the room which could barely accommodate a rollaway bed for my daughter. The bathroom amenities were very modern and service was excellent as we received a complimentary brunch after describing the room. The hotel made a real attempt to find us a larger room. The staff was very friendly and the overall experience was ok . I think the retail price is far over the value and would only marginally recommend this hotel.

Much Better Since the Renovation

by TripAdvisor Member DonH

We stayed at this hotel for a conference and were pleased. After reading some of the earlier reviews, I would have to say that the renovation was successful. We had a room facing the small courtyard and pool. Because there were never crowds of people by the pool, the room was quiet. The beds were comfortable and the hotel seems well maintained. There were lots of fresh flowers in the public areas. On the Saturday night, there were 2 weddings in the hotel, but we were not bothered by any noise from them.

A large conference center is part of the hotel, and it was good. Winona, our on-site event manager, was very pleasant, helpful, and responsive to our requests (I was involved with some of the conference planning). The only comment I would make is that it was a LONG walk from our room to the meeting room.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, but there are several good ones across the street in Fashion Island (we especially enjoyed our dinner at Roy's). Balboa Island is a pleasant half-hour walk away, and from there you can take a ferry to Newport Beach.

Great stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member cc02641

Our group stayed at the NB Marriott last week and had a great time! You could tell the hotel had been renovated. The room was clean, modern and the bed was very comfortable. We overlooked the main pool area. Every staff member we encountered was pleasant and helpful and asked if there was anything else they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. The hotel's location is superb in central coastal OC.... you can walk across the street to all the restaurants and shops in Fashion Island. The NB Marriott is highly recommended!

Everything was WONDERFUL!

by TripAdvisor Member emmalous

Our stay was thursday thru sunday. We couldn't have had a better time! The accomodations were top flight; a junior suite that had an Ocean view over the beautiful golf course. We could see all the way to Catalina Island. The staff and service was very friendly and made us feel very comfortable. We can't wait until we return. We highly recommend it to everyone.

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member profwho

The hotel is very nice, as is everything in Newport Beach. Airport shuttle service very efficient. Room was a tad small (I was on a government worker rate, so I suspect I did not get the best room in the place -- I faced the front of the hotel). It was very nice, though, and the bed was extraordinarily comfortable with a nice mattress pad/down comforter sort of thing on the top of the mattress. Slept well, very quiet. I appreciated in the in-room safe to keep valuables. Great location of course. I did not rent a car but used the hotel shuttle service from / to the airport and then just walked to my appt (I realize nobody walks in Southern California but I did!). All in all, very nice. I'd definitely stay here again for a good rate.

Very nice, convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member NJ Family Traveler

Who - 40+ business professional

When - Feb. 3-7, 2007

Why - Attending conference at hotel

Where - 11th floor, at far end of hotel (long walking distance from lobby area, spa and conference rooms)

Likes: Fairly newly renovated hotel, very friendly and helpful front desk (check-in/out was quick and efficient), conveniently located within walking distance of "Fashion Island" - large, mostly outdoor upscale mall with plenty of shops and restaurants, only 15 minute ride to/from John Wayne Airport ($20.00) or use hotel shuttle, automated wake-up call (foolproof)

Conference: Rooms were comfortable, tons of drinks/snacks always freshly available, boxed lunch was tasty and adequate

Room - nicely decorated, large bathroom with counterspace(!), good shower, comfortable beds and linens

Dislikes: A few outlets did not work (need several these days to plug in all rechargers for cell phone, PDA, Bluetooth, etc.;
in-room safe was locked, conference displays were in the hallway (not conducive to business); maid service not until the afternoon sometimes (so room was still not made up when AM session of conf. was done, during break before the PM sessions were to begin).

Spa - Fantastic special for 50 minutes Swedish massage and 30 minute facial for $125! Very relaxing, very professionally done and all out pampering. With service, you could use all spa facilities (sauna, hot tub, etc.). Highly recommend trying out the spa. (Only downside is the spa is located to the left of the front desk in the lobby, so you must cross through the lobby and walk quite a distance to the room elevators in your "spa" clothes.)

Overall - pretty good value since Newport Beach is a pricey/toney town, good service, convenient location. Would stay here again for business or pleasure.

President's Day Week 2007

by TripAdvisor Member tymike

Excellent Property - Newly Renovated
Great Beds / Great Service
From the moment you drive up to the moment you leave you will encounter great service.

The breakfast buffet was great / The spa was excellent.
The hotel is in a very central location for Disney / Legoland and San
Diego.

If this hotel was beachfront it would be considered a resort.
Our experience with a family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 kids ) was only positive. Not a single negative thing to say !

The beach is about a 2 mile drive but it's very nice - we actually liked Laguna Beach better and that was about 7 miles south down the PCH 1

One side note - instead of paying $22 a day to park your car at the hotel, park your car across the street in the Fashion Island Mall parking lot for free. It's right across the street and we parked out car there for free overnight for 7 days.

Scott

No Danger Here... Just a Peaceful Easy Feeling...No Danger Here... Just a Peaceful Easy Feeling...

Good-night, Newport Beach...Good-night, Newport Beach...

I Wonder What You Do for a Living...I Wonder What You Do for a Living...

Nice!Nice!

Spending In Newport

by adamtheenglishman

Hi, im coming over from England next year and im staying in Newport Beach for around 3 months. i have guestimated that i will spend around $2300 per month (based on cheap food, rented room in house and a few nights out) do you think this is realistic or am i way off?
Thanks
Adam

by badwhitevette

Welcome to the USA. Your biggest expense will rent of course, but transportation by taxis is very expensive too so stay away from them. Rental cars can be cheap (around $25 a day, but insurance will be another $20 to $25 if you don't have any insurance that would cover you), so if you have to rent a car that can be your whole daily budget. Gas I think is around $2.25 a gallon. Food, if you eat fast food (hamburger, fries, and coke) will cost your around $5. Chinese or mexican takeout about $10 or even less. The mexican food is very good in LA, if you like Mexican. Clubs entrance fees can be from $10 to $25 depending where you go. I think $2300 per month is very do able, but you need to watch you transportation.

by RovingWyvern

If you want CHEAP food, I can guide you to Asian places where you get 3 sandwiches for 3 USD. But Newport Beach is kinda far from Westminster.

by joesorce

I think your budget is more than enough based on what you list as your routine.

by dznguy

Might be difficult to find a cheap place that will rent out to you for 3 months. It depends on what time of the year as well. Getting around would be expensive as well since you'll probably need a car (public transportation system is not the best in SoCal). Gas average has jumped up to about $3.25/gal. For cheap eats, hit up happy hour. OC has a lot of good affordable places to eat that are affordable ($5-7/entree). If you watch your budget, you can live on $15-20/day for food, especially if you do some of the cooking yourself. Anyway, your budget will probably work, you just need to watch what you spend.

Comments