3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Wonderful place!!

We stay here often during the winter. The staff is friendly. The beds are the most comfortable I've experienced in a hotel. I believe they are Tempurpedics -- the kind that conform to your body. Some rooms do not have microwaves, but you can request this at check in. The various sections of the hotel are surrounded by a park like setting, very comfortable, very relaxing. Many rooms have porches that you can relax on and enjoy the quiet peaceful environment.

Unique Quality: The pool is heated year round and my kids enjoy this hotel as a result. The winter cost can not be beat anywhere in the area.

More about Best Western Yosemite Gateway Inn

train ride, steamengine

by themanwiththehat

We really enjoyed the history and the ride on this old fashioned steam driven train. I found this when I was surfing the google video website. I just typed in Oakhurst CA and the chamber of commerce put out a video that shows all kinds of things to do in the Oakhurst area. It is worth seeing. On Friday nites there is even a dinner train ride during the summer months.

Convenient for Yosemite

by TripAdvisor Member HolidayOrganiser

The hotel complex is large and very hilly. The staff are helpful and friendly. There are many restaurants in Oakhurst and two large supermarkets. We would recommend the two Chinese restaurants nearby. The indoor pool was a bonus because it is often far too hot to swim outside. Oakhurst is a short drive from Yosemite but there is a lot of driving within the Park. We think that we would probably stay in the Park itself if we visited again.

pretty nice, too far from Yosemite

The motel appears to be built on the side of a hill, on many levels and involves quite a bit of climbing. The room was a nice size, with the extra sink outside the bathroom coming in handy for our family of four. We asked for a room by the pool which we got by the outside pool. It was small but great for our kids. The outdoor jacuzzi was broken and appears to have been that way for some time. There was also an indoor pool and jacuzzi, although the jacuzzi looked dirty and green. Laundry room came in handy. Landscaping was nice with gardens and waterfall. It does take a long time to drive to the park gate, and then just as long to get by the waterfalls, but, all in all, it was pretty nice.

Pleasantly surprised! Great for kids

by TripAdvisor Member hoober

Having read other reviews AFTER reserving the room I was a bit apprehensive.

I rated the hotel as Excellent in regards to what else there was around for the same price.

Having driven through 105* heat for several hours we were happy to finally find Oakhurst (we drove down from Oregon) and the hotel.

The lobby is gorgeous. Very large and inviting. The staff was an older couple who were responsive enough although not very smiley.

Our room was 408, top of the hill. Two room family room: Queen in front with the larger tv, microwave and mini fridge; a sep sink from the bathroom. A door separated the bedroom which had two additional queen beds, a smaller tv a desk and a patio with glass panel door and plastic chairs. It overlooked the grassy park and oak trees. Very nice! The Best Thing: Staff had turned on the A/C before we came so it was nice and cool. The A/C was working fine during our 3 night stay and often got chilly.

We tend to wake up early since we have a 3 year old boy and we were often on the road to Yosemite by 7:30 am. We had milk and cereal with us (the Vons is right up the road, be aware the refigerator is TINY but the ice maker around the corner works great plus if you have a Vons club card you get 6 cents off gasoline at their station for every $50 purchase)

Suggest going to the gates EARLY in the morning (esp on these hot summer days) and we drove to Yosemite Valley with frequent stops to see the views on the way, nearly hit a deer but didnt see any bears this trip. We were back on our way to the hotel by 1 pm, leaving the heat and the crowds and back to the hotel by 3pm. Sundays are bad days to try and find a decent restaurant. Tom's BBQ is good bbq but is a walk up counter and you can get take out.

We did the furthest drive the first day (Yosemite Valley), rested the second day and did the Logger Steam Train, then early our last day drove to Glacier Point. You want to get there BEFORE 10 am as the tour buses start showing up by then. On the way back to the south entrance we stopped at the Maiposa grove, had a picnic lunch and visited the trees. It was very pleasant- the day before by 11:00 am there was NO parking for the Grove and the next day (Tuesday) there were open spaces at the same time. Fluke?

The drive is windy and enjoy the 35 mph tour. You are at Yosemite! You don't need to hurry up and get there... you ARE there.

Back to the hotel.

The best thing about the family suites is they are family friendly. If you get the rooms on the end (414, 412, 410) you have better views of the playgound for the kids and there are picnic benches and a bbq as well. I nuked potatoes and corn on the cob then we grilled chicken and steaks outside while the kids played in the early evening sun as the temperature cooled and we had a camping experience at a A/C hotel. We even made s'mores. Great way to spend a family vacation for our first time to Yosemite.

We may stay in the park next time, but only in May when it is cooler as there are no a/c rooms in the hotels IN the park and in mid-July I would have melted without it.

On your way out, there is a drive through Starbucks and for $4.80 you can get a 24 oz, 250 cal mocha frappachino light for your drive back to the grind.

Overall, the 10 year old girl and the 3 year old boy and the two tired parents had a great vacation.

$134 a night for the 3 queen bed room with upper level view.

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member sandy111

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and used it as a base point to visit Yosemite National Park.

The location is ok as it takes approximately half an hour to enter the park. This however was not a problem for me as the amenities in Oakhurst were very good.

The hotel room we had was very good and would definitely stay there again. Try Schezwan, the Chinese restaurant adjacent to the hotel and El Sid - Mexican. Both were great value for money. In addition, there are a few petrol stations in Oakhurst which is a great bonus as Yosemite National Park does not have one!!!

There is also internet access in the lobby which is beneficial for those who do not carry a laptop.

Good Hotel, too far away from Yosemite

by TripAdvisor Member Tom_Berlin

Stayed there three nights in 09/05. The surrounding is very nice. The rooms have the "charm of the seventies". But my room had a balcony and that was nice. You have Internet access for free (don't forget your patch cable).

It's a long way to drive to Yosemite. So plan to stay in the park for the whole day. You can't drive to the park for a short visit, drive back to the Hotel and drive to the park again of the same day.

Great location and wonderful accomadations!

by TripAdvisor Member HOADLYVA

I read the reviews on this hotel andthe rude staff, and thought twice about it, but it looked lovely and very serene so I went for it! I was not disappointed! The hotel is close to the south entrance to Yosemite, about 20 minutes away. It is in a wooded setting and has a very charming lobby with a baby grand piano! The fireplace, wing chairs and waterfall make the lobby a cool place to meet in the morning before heading out. We were in room 401 which had a bedroom with queen bed, tv , phone then a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot with cabinets. There was a bathroom sink and mirror across from the bathroom , which had another sink, tub and commode. The second room had 2 queen beds, dining area , tv, phone and a french door which led to a balcony. My 5 yr old grandson could play on the playground right outside our room and we sat and had a picnic at the picnic tables and they had a bbq grill, great for s'mores! There are 2 pools, and my grandson adored the indoor pool! What a beautiful room they have for the pool, murals and waterfalls! What fun and conveince! All this in a wooded setting, which was beautiful. The staff was very accomadating and pleasant. They are an extremely busy hotel, so small talk and chit chat is nearly impossible. But Ada and Jan were lovely to me on check in and check out. I look forward to my next trip to Yosemite, which was the most beautiful and awe inspiring place. Please take your children and grandchildren to Yosemite, you will not believe the beauty God has made! Enjoy it, relax and stay at the Gateway Lodge, it will extend the feeling of calm and relaxation.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member eddyVictoria_B_C_

Stayed here Sept. 17 & 18/05. Exellent receiption,good tips from knowedgeable staff. Lovely property and well appointed,spotless room.Trip into the park is very interesting (watch those curves!) and the distance is no problem at all.

bus transportation from Oakhurst to San Francisco Airport

by Grinavere

My husband and I live near Oakhurst, Ca and need bus transportation to San Francisco airport on May 26 2008. Since Oakhurst is near Yosemite National Park we are hoping to find some public transportation to the airport, and return trip on June 18, 2008.

Is there any public transportation available between these areas?

We are both over 60 yrs old.

Gail

by Jamesr3939

I would look at getting to Merced and then something from there. Maybe YARTS to Merced and some other bus or shuttle from Merced.

by kathymof

You could probably catch Amtrak in Merced and get off at the Richmond Station which is shared with BART and then take BART to the San Francisco Airport.

by Jamesr3939

I just looked at Amtrak's site and it looks like they have a route from Mariposa to Merced (via bus) and then the train from Merced to Martinez. Travel time is about three hours not counting layovers and cost is about $30 O/W. Not sure where the BART station is in relation to the train.

You could also go to Emeryville, but the travel time is longer and again I am not sure what the location is to the BART. You could also go into San Francisco, not directly to the airport but more into downtown. However, the train still stops in Emeryville and they bus you into San Francisco.

by kathymof

From the Amtrak website

BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit
BART operates frequent rail transit service on six lines serving 43 stations in San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa and San Mateo Counties. Trains operate from 4:00am to Midnight Weekdays, 6:00am to Midnight Saturdays, and 8:00am to Midnight Sundays. Weekday headways vary from 5 to 15 minutes. Evening and weekend headways are 20 minutes.

BART’s Richmond Station is adjacent to the Amtrak Station. .....

Amtrak passengers can purchase BART tickets at discout from the Amtrak service agent in the cafe on both San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor trains.

I live in Fresno and sometimes use a Fly/Stay/Park package at a hotel near SF airport. I recently got a room with 15 days of parking at La Quinta for $129. Extra days are $10 or you could just get another park/fly room for the night you arrive back to cover your excess days. Other options are that BART is putting a long term parking garage in Dublin/Pleasanton where you reserve parking and I think the price is around $10 per day.

Comments