2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Booking.com Tingo.com AMOMA.com

Costs 86% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

GATEWAY TO YOSEMITE

The Shilo Inn in Oakhurst is an ideal accomodation location for Yosemite Hwy 41 entrance, Bass Lake, Hwy 49 Gold Towns, Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad, and the Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino.

Entering the hotel is finding a beautiful large reception lobby area with complimentary popcorn ( fresh popped machine in action) and fresh fruit available to the hungry traveler. Nicely appointed rooms with A/C and a view of the pines in the distance, a pool with spa, an a modern weight room. A continental breakfast is included. Reservations are a must for this tourist destination location.

Unique Quality: Gateway to Yosemite location is the best way to describe the reason to stay here at Shilo Inn, Oakhurst. Once there, you find out that the hotel has all that you need for a great stay.

Directions: On left side of Hwy 41, about 1/2 mile east of Hwy 49 intersection in Oakhurst.

More about Shilo Inn Oakhurst

Wonderful place to stay

This small hotel is a gem--large, comfortable, clean rooms, friendly and efficient staff, situated conveniently close to Bass Lake and the southern entrance to Yosemite National Park. I booked several rooms for a large group and found Lois and Val to be the most professional yet courteous innkeepers I've worked with in the past four years. Every detail was anticipated and handled in such a way that the reservations, check-in, and check-out were a breeze--no red-tape hassles and no confusion. We will be back! (One suggestion for Housekeeping: If the bath towels were thick and full-sized, like the wash cloths and hand towels, it wouldn't take two of them per person when you shower and wash your hair.)

Exceed my expectation

by TripAdvisor Member Callie911

We went to Yosemite at last minute and couldn't find any hotel on the day before we went because it was the Memorial Day weekend. After going through many websites, I finally found one room on its website shiloinns.com/California/oakhurst.html). This was the only thing available so I had to take it even though I feared for the quality and the fact that we have to cramp together.

Surrounding: The hotel is within 30 minutes of Yosemite's south gate. When you leave Yosemite, it will be on your right hand side, next to Days Inn. There are a few restaurants nearby. Our room was on the back side of hotel so it was quiet; there are parking spaces behind the hotel.

Room: Indeed, it takes a real key (not key card) to open the door, but this suits the hotel's age/style. It is actually very spacious inside even though it does show signs of aging. There are wet bar, microwave, mini fridge and iron; I don't know if there was a hair dryer since I didn't look for it. The white bed sheets are very clean, and the beds/pillows were comfortable. The room overall looks clean although there is very little mold around bath tub. Being a paranoid person (Lysol is my best friend), I wore flip flops everywhere even in shower; guys didn't seem to care.

Others: Because this is a tourist spot, there were all sorts of guests in the hotel. Everyone was very friendly. The complementary breakfast provided standard options ranging from breads to cereals; fresh coffee, juice, and milk were nice. There are a small swimming pool and jacuzzi in the front so there is not much of privacy. There are also a gym with 3 exercise equipments and a sauna.

I feel that the hotel is above 2 stars, but it gets lower ranking because of its age and old bathrooms. What won me over is the hotel staff. Hotel's Debbie and Patricia were really nice and funny; Patricia didn't give us much of suggestions about what tourist spots are nearby probably because she is a trainee. Upon check out, I got a thank-you card addressed to me signed by Doris (the manager) along with my receipt; this is a really nice touch. When a hotel is old and can't be improved easily, you have to think outside of box to win customers by your service, like what Shilo Inn has done nicely.

A little concerned

by TripAdvisor Member cjp

The outside of the Inn is clean and attractive. The lobby was nice & appeared clean. The staff were friendly except for a little problem at check out. The room was nice & quiet, no paper thin walls. Our room had a king size bed, fold out couch, two upholstered chairs, desk, refrigerator & micro wave. The batroom had a tub/shower combo & toilet. The sink & vanity were outside the bathroom. Our bathroom had old wall paper that was peeling at the corners . The towels appeared old. The tile area around the shower was discolored, possibly mold. Our carpeting had stains on it. The air conditioner worked well but there was a bunch of "fuzzy stuff" hanging along the bottom. The fold out couch was comfortable but the sheets & blanket didnot appear to be fresh. The continental breakfast was simple & fresh, nothing elaborate. Would I stay there again? Only if I had to stay in Oakhurst & couldn't find something better.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member aussie_traveler_7

Exceeded our expectations for a country hotel. The room we had was large, clean and quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok.
Would certainly recommend staying here while visiting Yosemite

Great place to stay just outside of Yosemite

by TripAdvisor Member Rustoholic

My elderly parents and I were towed out of the snow and needed a place to stay for a couple of days until the road reopened into Yosemite. We stayed at the Shilo Inn and were very happy with the service, nice room, and friendly, helpful staff. Highly recommend. Good rates too (AAA discount)

Ants in the refrigerator!

by TripAdvisor Member Sahara1SanJose

My kids noticed a few dead ants in the room when we arrived. I did not think much of it at first. When we awakened the next morning there were ants in the refrigerator and on the counter.
The cleaning staff also neglected to clean the balcony area of our so called suite room. There were used coffee cups, a dirty table, dirty chairs and just an uninviting area.
I asked the hotel representative if she could give us the movie for free to compensate for our food being ruined by the ants. She told me that I should have called and reported the problem the night before. I told her we discovered the problem that morning. She told me that she would take $10.00 off which did not cover the cost of the movie. She was less than accommodating.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member Dancingeyes

After having stayed at another property in the Oakhurst area, we decided it was time for a change, so we booked a room at the Shilo. What an absolutely fantastic experience and time we had there. We were warmly greeted by the front desk staff and taken care of. Most of the amenities of the hotel were explained to us. Once we arrived at our third floor room, we found a beautiful suite, complete with microwave, refrig and coffee pot! Our king bed was very comfortable, the table, chairs and couch were adequate for our needs. The bathroom was clean and well supplied with towels, soap and other necessary bathing items. We were very impressed with the cleanliness and neatness of the room! When we awoke the next morning, we were treated to an extensive continental breakfast, which included fresh, make them yourself, Belgian waffles! The staff encouraged us to take our breakfast back up to our room where we could relax and enjoy the view from our room. Time came to check out and we were longing for another night there! We will definitely return to this establishment.....it is exactly what the doctor ordered for a very, very relaxing and fantastic stay in Oakhurst!

A step back into the 80's

by TripAdvisor Member fsh020

Pro's:

- Clean hotel, friendly staff
- Located about 8 miles from the Yosemite gate entrance. Its actually about 1hr from the Yosemite valley. Avoid staying at the Wawona hotel as its still about 45minutes to the valley. You are better of staying in Oakhurst. The Yosemite valley lodging on the other hand is almost twice the price of staying in Oakhurst
- Free internet, works through the hotel.
- Pillow top beds... comfortable.
- A good rate of ~$65 with AAA discount

Cons:
- The furniture is clean but outdated. Its like stepping back into the 80's. But should say well maintained. You don't see signs of age.
- They have breakfast, but its really average and the seating area is limited so if the hotel is full, you could be waiting for a long time.
- About 1hr to the park still from here. But, you pay almost double for staying in the yosemite lodge for a dingy room with a shared bath.

There are several good restaurants in the area. Would recommend the crab cakes restaurant. Great seafood for a small town like Oakhurst.

Nice stay at the Shilo

by TripAdvisor Member Lucc

Clean and comfortable hotel near Yosemite. Front desk staff is friendly. Small pool and rates did not match quote from Travelocity.

Comments