905 Country Club Rd, Ojai, California, 93023, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Ojai Valley Inn And Spa

World Renowned Spas

by pigletsmom

There are numerous spas located in Ojai that range in price and style. Ojai's location makes it a perfect peaceful and soothing destination. The Ojai Valley Inn being the most luxurious, but there are others that are very popular and well respected. The Oaks in Ojai is another option, plus several spas that offer day plans for one low price. Check out the website below or the visitors bureau for more info. Also check my off the beaten path tip for the Ojai Valley Inn.

Ojai Valley Inn & Spa

by pigletsmom

This place is absolutely gorgeous. The website does not do it justice. Beautiful spanish architecture in a fantastic setting with spectacular views. Rooms can run upwards of $350 a night, but this place is incredible. Wonderful spa, golf course, stables and tennis facilities. They have overnight packages that include a massage and access to the pools and yoga classes that are pretty reasonable. ($165) You can also just stop in for a massage or horse ride.

Amazing Stay

by TripAdvisor Member MSMann

My husband and I just spent three days here and had an amazing time. From the time we pulled up to the front door the service was consistently impeccable. We've stayed in a couple of $400 a night hotels this summer, and only the Ojai Valley Inn has been worth it. It is a very elegant hotel! I had a wonderful facial where I actually fell asleep(!) and the kuyam mud treatment was amazing, too. Not at all what I expected, but great nonetheless. I took three fitness classes -- an abs class, a spinning class, and something called FitTrek, 30 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes weights -- and all were fantastic. Much tougher than my classes at home (in a good way) and I even picked up a few new moves. I also really enjoyed the spa pool area. It's smaller than the main pool but since it doesn't allow anyone under 16, it's much quieter. I was there for relaxation but I would love to return when I have kids of my own. Families looked like they were having a lot of fun.

Just Ok For A Five Diamond Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SOWBIE

Ojai Valley Inn and Spa was recently awarded as being a 5 diamond hotel (hotel website has not yet updated this info). However, it did not feel like some of the other 5 diamond hotels that we have stayed in. We stayed in a mini suite at $700/night.

Pros:
Large and comfortable rooms
Very friendly, professional, courteous staff!!!!!
Great spa
Great gym for a hotel
Beautiful and lush grounds

Cons:
Lacks the nicer amenities as compared to most 4 or 5 diamond hotels
Air conditioning in our suite was extremely loud and leaked water when it was turned on which maintenance could not fix so we just turned on the fan instead - the room got a little hot in the middle of the night
Safe in the hotel was not working
Food and restaurants were just OK

We were expecting a little more at $700/night. Overall, our experience was not a horrible one but it was not too memorable either. We are not sure if we will be returning.

Safe, Luxurious Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member trapper525

My wife and I enjoyed two nights at the Valley Inn & Spa in late-June and loved every minute of it! Their spa is world-renowned for a reason...it's beautifully designed and the attentive staff offers all sorts of unique amenities like frozen Lavender washclothes outside the steam room and sauna plus cucumber/lemon/orange ice water next to the spas. Unlimited access is included in the room charge. Their treatments are legendary, in particular the Kuyam is worth checking out (and affordable at $30).

We had stayed at the resort before renovations and the money was well spent on their new rooms. Luxurious, LARGE, and well appointed. So large, in fact, that the flat-screen HDTV was almost too far away to enjoy in bed. Almost (it's really big).

One huge benefit are the super-thick walls...we couldn't hear anything from those staying around us. They also go out of their way to create a private outdoor area for each room, a perfect detail I'm sure others will appreciate as much as we did.

The bathroom was large, clean, and well-designed. Top-shelf, custom Aveda products were present in abundance on the bathroom counter. Our only regret was the death of wood-burning fireplaces...they switched to gas during the renovation. But it's hard to argue with enviornmentally-friendly practices!

Housekeeping was attentive, professional, respectful of our personal space, and very responsive to our needs and requests throughout the stay...as they have been many times before.

The previous reviewer IS right about the staff being pleasant...they were amazingly friendly and helpful. They also clearly did not expect the tips I ended up giving. What a refreshing change! A charming touch are the golf carts roaming the grounds...they are willing to take you wherever you're headed...or just offer a tour of the resort. All without any pre-planning or cost.

This resort has a great assortment of restaurants whose reputations are beyond reproach. The Oak Grill has a perfect outdoor patio for lunch and/or breakfast and the food matched the surroundings (best tortilla soup I've ever had). We always enjoy room service and their service (and quality) was presented to perfection.

Overall, this is a world-class resort from top to bottom...but you will pay for it. This is not a cheap place to stay and it doesn't offer "Ritz Carlton" faux-gold trim. So consider yourself warned if you'll be needing that to justify the high price.

There seem to be two types of high-end resort experiences available in the luxury travel market today. One is the Ritz/FS gilded level of shiny wood veneer and uniformity worldwide so many consider representative of quality.

The other is a group of smaller, unique places like Ojai, Ventana in Big Sur, Meadowood and Auberge in Napa, the Hotel Bel Air, the Broadmoor, the Lowell, and Boulders. Quality, one-of-a-kind rooms and experiences that offer something NEW and unique to their location in the world.

I prefer the latter and the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa is right at the top of my list. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Bring Your Own Radio.

by TripAdvisor Member BeachChair

We had the opportunity to stay at the Ojai Valley Inn on two occasions in August, once as a couple and once with our extended family. Both times we has a room rate that included breakfast for less than $350 and both times we were put in the Arbolada building. The resort is sprawling and hilly. It’s best to speak with reservations about where it is best to stay – or you’ll spend a lot of time walking to & fro. If you don’t have kids and plan to spend time at the spa (pools & gym) the Fontana & Arbolata are well located. If you have kids and plan to hang at the family pool, then the Casa Blanca & Shangri La buildings are close. I would recommend avoiding a room in the main building (where the lobby is located), as the outer buildings offer a more special experience.

Most importantly – there are shuttles and maintenance carts that putt along the roads of the resort from before dawn until after dusk. They sound like lawn mowers. Be sure to ask for a room that is not overlooking a road. Also, some units have doors that open into hallways that are cavernous & echo-y. Best to insist on a room with an exterior door and not facing a thoroughfare.

The rooms are nice and comfortable, but surprisingly lack common amenities you’d find at your basic motel. No radio, CD player, or any way to play music, no DVD player (and the front desk did not have any). The flat panel Dell TVs not at all user friendly and there are no On Demand movies. The showerheads are great and the beds/linens are outstanding. One note: We saw NO difference between the “Ojai Room” and the “Shangri la Room” except a jump in price.

The staff was generally friendly and attentive, however our room request for our second stay (mid-week) was not honored. When we called to confirm early in the morning the day of our arrival, the woman who answered was neither friendly nor helpful. She told us rooms are assigned at 6AM and that there was nothing she could do – even though the request had been noted on our reservation three weeks earlier.

Food service was best described as inconsistent. Breakfast service was REALLY spotty, but service at the spa pool was excellent. Dinner at sunset on the Oak Grill patio was very nice. The “adults only” spa pool was excellent and perfectly heated. Comfortable loungers really made it hard to leave. However, the exhaust fan from the spa grill is annoyingly loud. The workout classes we took were all excellent and the instructors were great.

If you’ve got young kids, the horse ride ($10) is a total rip-off. Don’t waste the time or money. We did not take advantage of the kids club, but they do have one available.

The tennis area looked very nice and you can take a couple of bikes from that area into town. It’s a fun ride. The golf course is beautiful – as is the herb garden, which is a terrific place to eat a picnic, if it’s not too hot.

Off campus, have dinner at Suzanne’s (ask for a table next to the garden). It was outstanding.

Best weekend of our life!

We celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary and it was the most incredible weekend ever. From the time we arrived to our departure, every single staff member we came in contact with was so friendly, helpful, courteous, and respectful of our privacy. The spa treatments were fabulous and we were allowed to just be secluded and uninterrupted. It was almost as good if not better than our honeymoon 15 years ago. We got every dimes worth, and worth it.

Perfect!

My husband and I just spent an unforgetable night in a hillside suite. The room is beautiful and large. We had a huge balcony with a view of the mountains. The spa was lovely and we enjoyed a couples massage. Dinner at Maravilla was amazing. The staff is attentive, friendly and really make you feel welcomed. The food was delicious. We had a picnic lunch in a teahouse in the herb garden. It was perfect outside overlooking the wisteria in bloom. I highly recommend this hotel for its beautiful setting and excellent services. There is a hefty price tag, but we will be back.

A solid but not spectacular hotel

by TripAdvisor Member brooksz

My husband and I spent the weekend of July 14 - 16th at the Ojain Inn and Spa. The service we received during the stay was somewhat mixed but overall quite adequate.

Service
The parking attendants and luggage assistants were great. When going off property, we called ahead and had them bring the car around -- they always had it waiting when we arrived at the front entrance. I give them an A+ because we had a room fairly close to the hotel entrance. The front desk staff was also efficient. The concierge a little less so. When we asked about a farmer's market that we saw advertised in the hotel literature received at turndown, she was at a loss. (By the way, the farmer's market is a great way to spend the early Sunday morning as it had amazing flowers, nice handmade soaps and lotions, olive oils, fruits, etc and all certified organic and local. Ride a bike into downtown Ojai and head for the Plaza.) The housekeeping staff did a nice job in the room. The only problem we had was that they skipped turndown one night. Before you think I am a snob that can't turndown my own bed let me say that it is the only way to get ice. Very important when the tempature is 108 degrees. After calling twice for ice I gave up only to have the housekeeping manager call 20 minutes later and ask if I still wanted ice. I politely replied that I was retiring for the night but thanks anyway. You guessed it, 30 minutes after that I got a knock on my door for turndown! Oh well, no harm I guess.

Room
The room we had was called a Shangri-La King Fireplace Suite. It had a lovely view of the mountains with a smallish balcony containing 2 wicker chairs and a small table. The table was too small for a breakfast service but would handle a few drinks and a small fruit plate. The decor was a mix between Bali and Southwestern California style. I know, hard to imagine and even harder to pull off well. The renovated room was a little dark with regard to the lighting. Even by day you could not read a book without extra lighting. The bed was comfortable but not as great as a Marriott Heavenly Bed or one of the new Four Seasons beds. The bathroom ws great! It was large and well appointed. Lots of light and a hug soaking tub. What a delight! The shower and wc were in a separate area behind a pocket door making it very discreet. The amentities offered were Aveda and a lovely local orange scented soap. (Pixie orange soap if that means anything to you -- it did not to me.)

Food
We ordered room service twice and it was delivered fresh and timely in both cases. The servers were very good and went the extra mile making sure you had everything you needed. We also had a drink in the small pub -- nothing special. The Oak Grill was lovely. We ate two meals in the outdoor seating area -- both times the service was good, the food was great and the view was amazing!

Activities
Sorry to say, no treatments at the spa as it had been booked solid for months with two wedding parties. (A large enough property that you didn't know the weddings were even going on.) There are three pools with two being adults only -- very nice policy. If only the pools were more inviting! There is precious little to make you want to lounge by either adult pool both of which are down by the spa with one being a lap pool. The family pool was more centrally located but it was FILLED with wee ones having their fun.

The golf course was comparable to a really nice muni -- not too taxing so perfect if you are just learning or wanting to bloster the numbers. Skip the driving range as it is in horrible shape. Truly, they aren't even able to move the tees and reseed as the whole think is bare. Perhaps just close it for a month and get it back to par -- we'd understand. And the golf shop -- why bother. Not much to offer. Either needs better stock or close it down and use the space for something more profitable.

Don't waste your time in the Herb Garden/Meditiation/Tea Garden. Looks like it is still under renovation so maybe this will improve but most of the area was dug up or dead when we wandered down.

Well, a little long winded but I wanted to give you the full picture. The rooms like we had were probably worth $375 a night but at $542 (including breakfast) they were a little overpriced. Next time, I'll hit Baccara or something similar for roughly the same $$$.

Ojain Inn and Spa, let us know when you get just a little more poliched. Thanks!

Comments