In 1881, George Chaffey an engineer had a vision that the vast desert of Cucamonga could be fertile if it had water brought to it. So along with his brother William purchased 6,218 acres and the water rights. Along with his brother he bought over 6,000 acres of land and water rights. George knew that Euclid Avenue named after a Greek mathematician he favored while in school, would be the cities centerpiece for years to come. Euclid Avenue is eight miles long and two hundred feet wide, the twin "driveways" separated by a very lovely parkway of green grass and is lined with pepper trees.
Soon the city brought in the "gravity mule car" in 1887 that made its first run on Euclid Avenue which labored till 1895. On Dec 10th, 1891, Ontario was incorporated as a city of the sixth class under the California Constitution.