612 Central Avenue, Pacific Grove, California, 93950, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

• Review by a OneTime.com User from San Francisco

This historic bed & breakfast was originally built as a boarding house and has a cozy, quaint and romantic feel of the Victorian-era.

We were given a tour of the place. It has different types of rooms all with private baths in the main building and several stand-alone private cottages around a very beautiful garden. All rooms have private baths, some with claw-foot tubs and fireplace. The breakfast is delicious and hot in a buffet style, especially the made to order waffles. They also have cookies and afternoon snacks. Coffee and tea were available all day. The staff is courteous and friendly. The manager is very knowledgable about the area and helpful.

Very much enjoyed our stay. It provided the the perfect quiet romantic getaway we were looking for. We will definitly go back.
    last visit on April, 2005.

Unique Quality: The gardens are very peaceful and relaxing. The Cottages are very charming and romantic. It's ideal for spending quality time with someone special. It's also centrally located, 2 blcoks to the beach and Lovers Point. 2 blocks to downtown. There are great restaurants within walking distance. It's only few minutes to Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Pebble Beach and Carmel.

Directions: Take highway 68 west to pacific grove from highway 1. Stay on that road until it becomes Forest Ave and then make a left on Central Ave. Corner of Central and 17th Ave.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

ONE OF THE FIRST TO BUILD

Centrella Inn is only one of many Bed and Breakfast locations in Pacific Grove. Under new ownership, they are trying hard to maintain the excellence of service, that one expects from a B & B. The staff is new as well, and are most attentive to see to your comfort and pleasure while a guest of their Inn. A full breakfast is offered and afternoon snacks are provided. Tea and Coffee are available round the clock.

Unique Quality: The location is ideal for walking to town, 2 blocks up the street, and to the beach area of Lovers Point and the recreational trail, 2 block down the street. Pacific Grove is only minutes between Carmel-by-the-Sea with the world famous 17 Mile Drive and the
    Monterey Wharf and Aquarium.

Directions: Central location in Pacific Grove, on the northern point of Monterey Peninsula.

More about Centrella Inn

worst B&B experience

My friend and I had the absolute worst experience (after 20+ years of staying at B&Bs) with the Innkeeper at the Centrella Inn. We will never return there. We never felt that we were a customer or guest. We were offered poor accomodations and no hospitality.

Relaxing and refreshing getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Eurocat36

After having to cancel a romantic holiday abroad due to illness, my husband and I decided to spend a night at the Centrella Inn. We arrived early on Wednesday and our room was ready. We combined the "Spa" and the "Romantic Getaway" packages. A chilled bottle of champagne and a dozen red roses greeted us as we opened the door to our room.

The one hour massage was well worth the price and we both felt that the Romantic Getaway package which includes a $50 certificate toward one of two excellent dining spots was a good value.

Our room was clean, had a bay window and was comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was nice and we enjoyed the evening chocolate chip cookies.

The afternoon snacks are good although a glass of wine or a spot of port would make them excellent.

All and all, we had a most enjoyable experience and plan on returning.

very nice place to stay

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms, the friendliness of the staff and the scrumptious breakfast.

I was so impressed that I returned for another stay in September 2005

Great Place for romantic vacation

by TripAdvisor Member RRTravelGal

My husband I just returned from a great holiday weekend stay at the Centrella. I admit I was reluctant to book our lodging here based on some of the reveiews, but family and friends have stayed here in the past and gave it high marks. I'm happy to report we loved it, too! The innkeeper was pleasant and even gave us local restaurant recommendations. Our room was clean, pillows and bed comfortable, and the location was great. We look forward to returning soon.

At least half the experience should be 'good food!'

I tend to believe those who are rating this Inn high have had little to no experience with B&Bs in general. I have not had a LOT but enough to see some very distinct differences.
The accommodations we found very nice, and the grounds are also beautifully maintained. Access to local restuarants and stores a big plus.
Room comfort overall was quite good, although the top deco pillows on the bed were dusty.
Most disappointing were the meals. Nothing original at all and portions generally on the small side.
Afternoon nibbles were restricted to trail mix (really!) cheese cubes, celery cuttings and a spread (which was actually quite good).
There was an optional afternoon 'tea in' which offered upgraded services, but cost an additional $15/person. We opted out.
I don't mean to make a big deal about the food, but if you read the website this B&B has a very experienced cook on the order of a full chef with regards to training...so our expectations were certainly in line with that....
Waffles one morning looked like the toaster variey, but I could be mistaken. And the syrup was set over across the room where the buffet was set up. No syrup was available at individual tables as expected. (Centrella 0 IHOP 1)
When asked by one customer what breakfast choices were available, the proprietor responded, "Scrambled eggs, waffles, or whatever..."
That kind of reflected the overall attitude of the staff in general, not quite rude, but often indifferent.
Some strong advice here (including for myself!):
If you look up an Inn on a website look for a typical menu... if you don't see one, lower your expectations or change your route.

This place is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH your hard earned money

The website stated and I quote: an unforgettable experience in Monterey, California. True, visiting Monterey was heavenly but staying at the Centrella was THE unforgettable expereince..because it was dreadful, appaling and ghastly. My husband planned the weekend retreat in Monterey as a surprise for me. He reserved the Garden Suite for a two-night stay. I love Monterey but staying at this inn dampened the whole vacation (especially after I found out how much he paid for it..THAT was REALLY unforgettable after our experience).
There are only two plus sides: its proximity to wonderful spots and the ambiance of the place. It ends there. The website mentioned a 'fresh-cooked full buffet breakfast each morning in our sunny Victorian parlor.' The sunny Victorian parlor part, I agree with. The fresh cooked breakfast is simply scrambled eggs served in minute proportions OR toasted frozen waffles OR oatmeal. And, for the waffle syrup, you will be instructed to go to buffet table and get it yourself. The 'full buffet' are store pastries, some fruit and ordinary breads. Hmm..maybe that's their concept of the 'wonderful breakfast dishes' they mentioned in the website. And, take note, you have to clear your dishes, after eating. I went back in the house a couple of times to check on the 'freshly-baked cookies any time of day!'..but never saw them; not even the crumbs. The 'afternoon hors d'oeuvres' are toasted trailmix, some store cookies and a plate of some salad greens with dressing. The reason I am quoting these statements is simply because they are mentioned in their website. BEWARE! Do not believe all that you read in their site. We learned our lesson..the hard way. If you plan to have an unforgettable experience in Monterey, stay anywhere else, but please, please..not at the Centrella if you value your hard earned money.

Freezing cold!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Krazie

My husband and I stayed here two nights as a "romantic getaway". This place is NOT romantic! The overall ambiance of the public spaces is ok and the outdoor areas are pretty. However, the $99 queen rooms are TINY and poorly furnished. The bathroom only had a shower (no tub) and featured really cheap toiletries. The bed was uncomfortable and was made with worn linens. There was no TV at all, but we came to get closer and not to watch TV. Boy did we get closer!! We were forced to huddle together both nights because there was NO heat to speak of in this older home. There was a thermostat on the wall and some kind of ancient heater under the windows, but as far as we could tell turning it up did nothing. The woman at the front desk didn't do much to help us. She was also nonchalant about the fact that they have about 8 parking spaces for 20+ people. The first night we had to park and walk at least 4 blocks.
As a side note, the breakfast was really quite good. We had waffles, bacon and eggs made to order and also fresh fruit and a variety of breads. I didn't mind placing our plates on a tray a couple of feet away -- this wasn't a fine dining kind of atmosphere. I agree with the other reviews that the afternoon snacks were pathetic. Basically this is an ok place to stay if you are on business by yourself or visiting a relative -- in the summer! I would never go here for a romantic trip again.

Our second visit

It had been a while since my wife Sara and I had stayed at the Centralla Inn, however we just spent another glorious three nights here, which will be in our memory for some time to come.
The location is pretty well ideal, the place is not only historical, but very charming and exudes a warm ambience that is hard to find these days.
Besides it being a great place to stay, where it's very easy to walk to excellent restaurants of great variety, and within walking distance of the Monterey Aquarium, the staff is very accommodating, personable and very helpful. Got some great travelling advice from Marion the Innkeeper, that will be a basis for one of our next trips. Everyone really made us feel welcome!!
Breakfastvaries from day-to-day and is just the right way to start the day and is made to order as per your request, in addition to the sizeable spread displayed on the serving tables.
Getting an appetite for lunch later was a problem of course, but we managed to live with it!
Having stayed at many B&B's over the years, I must say Centralla Inn is definitely one of our favorites.
Not many B&B's have you wake up to the sound of sealions barking!!!

Comments