Deer Haven Inn And Suites

Deer Haven Inn
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Deer Haven Inn And Suites

Enjoyed my Stay

I spent Memorial Day weekend at the Deer Haven Inn and would recommend it for those visiting the Pacific Grove / Monterey / Carmel area. Bear in mind, this is not a luxury accommodation, but for those on a budget who would like a lovely, clean, safe place to stay that is near the beach, it is a good bet. The staff was extremely nice and made my stay very pleasant. I also give a thumbs up to their housekeeping staff, who I had no problem tipping well.

I stayed in a suite with a fully equipped and clean kitchen, with a nice new glass dining table and chairs. The living room area was large -furniture just fair/OK... again, definitely not luxury, but nice and more than I expected for the price. The bathroom was pretty, but the bathtub looked like it could stand to be replaced as it had a few small cracks (but no big deal) -still the bathroom and even the tub was very clean and most important had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Other things to note about the room is the strong cool ocean breeze when you open the windows, and a well working heater at night (when it gets very chilly).

You can't see the ocean from any of the rooms, but you can walk to a nice little beach only a few blocks away -about a 5-10 minute walk or 1-2 minute drive. I recommend going to see the sunset... or if you can make it... the sunrise. Pacific Grove is so picturesque, make sure to drive along the beach strip, where it is carpeted with flowers (a few minutes drive from Deer Haven Inn). Also nearby is Pebble Beach... I did the 17 Mile Drive thing -personally, I found it to be a huge rip off. If your a golf nut, don't miss it... or if you won't have the opportunity to drive along Route 1, then go ahead; however, you can see so much more for free just driving up and down Route 1.

I spent a whole day driving up and down the coast on Route 1... I went down to Big Sur and beyond, which was magnificient. If you stop in one of the state parks you can see the redwoods. Also nice is a trip to the Monterey Aquarium -especially if you have kids. I loved the jellyfish exhibit. Cannery Row was quaint and worth seeing. Carmel is just adorable, I didn't spend enough time there. The homes were so cute -they looked like very expenisve hobitt houses. There is lots of art and shopping in Carmel.

I found the location of Deer Haven Inn to be very convenient... if you love nature, consider staying in beautiful Pacific Grove rather than the hectic, overdeveloped Monterey or the more pricey Carmel. Depending on the season, you can check out the nearby Butterfly sanctuary or see the seal's along the coast. Plan ahead and have a good trip. If you want to go luxury and can do so... go ahead and check out one of the spa places or those built along the cliffs on the ocean -they look spectacular. For a good deal for those of us with bills to pay, but still want a nice vacation... consider the Deer Haven Inn.

just average

by TripAdvisor Member AlainaK

We stayed at the Deer Haven Inn on the first night of our honeymoon on July 15, 2006. Our room had a couple of quirks that made the stay interesting. When we arrived the room was chilly but after having the heater on for an hour we couldn't get it to turn off. While trying to figure out the heater we opened the windows which had no screens. Other than that we had a nice evening and our room had a pretty view of Asilomar.
During our morning showers we were unable to open the bathroom window because anyone on the second floor walkway would be able to see inside. The steam caused our smoke alarm to go off.
The room was comfortable and we enjoyed having a fireplace but accomodations could be improved.

I'm Glad I Stayed! Don't Believe the Negative Nellies!

by TripAdvisor Member Mysticdancer

I booked a four night stay at the Deer Haven Inn because of the price and the location. $69 a night for a king room with fireplace literally across the street from the Asilomar Conference Grounds where similar rooms start at $130 a night with no tv, fireplace or inroom coffee service. (Yes, I'lve stayed there and love the place.) Then, I read some of the truly terrible reviews below. Whereever those people stayed, it wasn't the Deer Haven I found.

What I got for my $69 a night was a clean, quiet, comfortable, good sized room with a gas fireplace that kept the room toasty on cool coastal nights. The bathroom included a large bathtub and shower with ample toiletries. I found the bed to be quiet comfortable, not too hard or too soft. It wasn't my feather bed at home, but, hey, I wasn't at home. There is a continental breakfast that could have benefitted from some fresh fruit. The USA Today appeared on my doorstep every morning like magic.

I'd like to address some negative comments I read in other reviews: The toilets are low flow toilets. There is a water shortage in the Monterey Penninsula area so they are a necessity. The fireplaces are on timers. Says so right on the wall. They do click on and off on their own! Many hotels with coffee service put the coffee pots on the counter with the sink. Even the 5 star restort I stayed at in Hawaii does. At Deer Haven the sink was located outside the bathroom in a little dressing area. There were no ants. Just a resident spider in the corner of the room. She wasn't bothering me, so I didn't bother her. There is sand sometimes on the carpet. You're on the beach. You track it in.

I was worried about having a room right on the street, but I heard absolutely no traffic noise even though Asilomar had a lot of vehicle and foot traffic in and out for a big conference. The only time I was bothered by other guests was when a large family in the room next door decided to have a chat outside their room at about 1 am. That's not the hotel's fault. That's just rudeness on the part of individuals who don't respect their neighbors. The same guests came in at midnight the next night. One of them (Dad, perhaps?) serenaded everyone else at the Inn with a loud rendition of the Mighty Mouse theme song! "Here I come to save the day!" Otherwise, all I heard was silence despite the Inn side being full nearly every night.

The staff was friendly, helpful and very pleasant. I had an issue with my rental car when I first arrived at the hotel (it's embarrassing, so I'll spare the details) but the gentleman at the front desk helped me fix it. He didn't laugh, at least not where I could hear him!

If you want a five star resort experience with big, fluffy towels and concierge service, go ahead and spring for a stay at the Montery Plaza on Cannery Row. You'll pay $400 a night and what you will end up with in the end is just what I got at Deer Haven Inn, a clean, quiet, comfortable place to sleep. But, you won't be able to stroll across the street to the wildness of Asilomar Beach or see deer carefully making their way across the street in front of you or watch a hawk hunt for her breakfast. You will get the tail end of the tourist trap Cannery Row has deteriorated into.

I would have rated Deer Haven Inn a 5 but for one small thing. The first morning I was there, one of the bedside tables broke. I immediately alerted the front desk. Unfortunately, it was still broken when I left four days later.

In the end, you get what you pay for. Sometimes, more. I do believe I got more than my money's worth at Deer Haven Inn. I'm glad I didn't believe the negative reviews left by others.

Get what you make of it

We have been coming to this hotel for many years now and are satisfied with every visit. Most people aren't going to take the time to write a review unless they are upset, and as with every business mistakes will happen. You can't stay here expecting it to be a five star hotel becuase it isn't and you definately aren't paying for it. For those that do want something closer to luxory, just pay a little extra for a remodeled suit (they are well worth it). Can sometimes get better rates reserving directly through the hotel. The service is great and are always willing to go the extra mile to make your stay more pleasurable.

great location, but a lacking hotel

by TripAdvisor Member catwoman1

We stayed for 1 night for our weekend getaway. I often visit pacific grove area and I had seen this hotel before and thought it looked very cute. It is in a great location and the area is very charming but the hotel room and staff leaves much to be desired. The beds are not comfortable, way too hard. The room had a automatic gas fireplace that did not work and when I called in to the office to let them know they just told me to just keep trying again. If you are just looking for a quite area close to the ocean and you just want a basic room then this place is acceptable. But dont expect the room to be much like the description.

Grazing deer upon arrival

by TripAdvisor Member CiaoBella13

Ok for the money - we booked direct with the hotel & got the room for $79 a night. Room was clean although we did have ants wandering over the washbasin. Wasn't too bothered by this is you are in a very rural location - hence the grazing deer. We found the beds a little soft for us but did sleep ok. Wanted to use the laundery facilities which were being used for the hotels sheets/towels at the time - do hotels of this size normally do their own washing? Coin slots were rusted up on the washer & powder dispenser so difficult to use. The only staff we saw were in the front office (or just outside enjoying a cigarette!. Check out girl was unfriendly, bordering on rude. Free continetal breakfast was plentiful as long as you get there early. There are other options close by so would probably go for a different one next time

Will never go to that dump again

In some languages, deer is equivalant to "dump". Deer is a dump. Now I can see some of the reviews saying they had a great time. Maybe they were at the suites rooms, but the regular 2 double beds are awful. Bath was terrible. Gross. Moisture everywhere. The carpet was damaged from moisture. The room was absolutly out of order. The price was high for such a dump. We made our best to stay out of the room (luckily we had only one night ...). And made our best to check out as early as 7:00 AM (We have 2 babies, so being out at 7:00 is fast, believe me). My wife could not sleep since she was scratching her self the entire night !
Make yourself a favor, stay out of that dump. You deserve better!

Pacific Grove's Hidden Treasure

by TripAdvisor Member CTMom56

This cozy hotel is nestled in Pacific Grove, one street away from the most beautiful sunset on the Pacific coastline and easy access to the Seventeen Mile Drive. Tucked into a residential area, the serene atmosphere is very relaxing and peaceful. We loved staying in Pacific Grove. We were close to Monterrey and the "tourist" attractions, yet able to enjoy the quieter sunsets and deer on the lawns. We had a second floor room, accessed by an exterior corridor, with 2 queen beds and the added bonus of a gas fireplace. On cool oceanside nights, the flickering fire took the chill out of the air. This is an older style motor inn that is clean, maintained and updated as much as possible. Hairdryers and coffee service are available in the room. Despite getting the internet access code, we were unable to connect with the internet. In the morning a continental breakfast of bagels, donuts or croissants, apple and orange juice, flavored herb teas, spiced cider and coffee was available in the lobby. Although the lobby is too small to eat in, trays are provided to take your breakfast back to your room or to sit on the patio. I believe suites are also available besides single rooms, but we did not see them. If you're looking for a fancy commercial chain hotel, this hotel is not for you. If you want a clean, economical and comfortable room to enjoy the Monterrey Penninsula, this is for you. It was a great value for the cost of the rooms. We would definitely stay here again.

Awful, never again!

by TripAdvisor Member Aussiejigsnreels

Awful! Out of the 11 places we stayed in on our three week USA trip, this was the worse by far.
We ( 2 adults and 2 kids ) arrived at 2pm and were told that our room wasn't ready yet by girl #1 and to come back in 45 minutes. After driving down from Yosemite we didn't have anywhere to go so decided to wait. Cleaners were cleaning a downstairs room so we guessed that this must be our room. After an hour the cleaners were finished so we went back into reception to ask if we could now check in. "No, not yet" said girl #2. So we asked what time check-in was and she said "3pm". So, obviously it was 3pm and when we pointed out that we had seen the cleaners pack up and drive away, she said "I'll check". So she asks girl #1, who without checking with anyone says "oh they are all ready now". Girl #2 then asks "would you like 1st or 2nd floor" so obviously all rooms had been ready when we arrived they just didn't want us to check in an hour before "official" check-in time.

So, we were really looking forward to our stay at Deer Have Park after seeing the lovely pictures on their website of beautiful rooms. That was quickly shattered when we entered our room! The room on the website seems to only exist in the imagination of a talented photographer with good Photoshop skills. Our room was small, shabby and old and has obviously never been redecorated since the place was built. The room stunk of bleach when we opened the door, the bed covers were old and ugly, the bathroom so small that we could not even sit on the toilet straight because it was so close to the wall and the toilet roll holder was sticking out where your leg needed to go-so we had to sit sideways!

To say we were disappointed would be an understatement but since it was thankfully only one night we decided to put up with it....until our friends checked in. We were travelling with two other families who both arrived around 5.30pm. 1st family checks in and are given a room exactly like ours. 2nd family checks in and are given a room on the other side of the property. Since we were already checked in I went with them to help with their bags and check out their room. We opened their door to see a small apartment, 2 sofas, full kitchen and 2 seperate bedrooms. All of our bookings had been made months ago and all at the same time, we all paid the same price ( $US173.80 ). I went straight to the front room to ask why we had been given such a shabby room and our friends a much bigger and better room. We were told that our friends had been given an upgrade ( for no reason ) and there was nothing we could do about it. After much complaining and being told by our original girl #1 "Well I don't take the photos or make the website", we asked to speak to the manager. She refused to call the manager called another woman who spoke to my husband, he again asked to speak to the manager. After giving the phone back to girl #1 we are guessing this woman told her to call the manager as she said "I don't want to, he will tell me to upgrade them". Only when we said we would report them for false advertising did she ask us to leave and said she would call us.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we eventually got an upgrade, along with the other family. These "upgrade rooms" are bigger but not in much better shape than the smaller rooms. There is a sign over all the toilets asking that you use less paper as they are low flow toilets. Next to each toilet is a very large plunger!

Whilst we were in the office another man came in to complain that his toilet was blocked and the next morning another couple were complaining that their fireplace kept switching itself on and off all night, scaring them half to death!

We didn't bother with the breakfast which was just donuts and bagels and coffee served in the tiny reception office, nowhere to sit, you had to take it back to your room.

Couldn't wait to get away.

Cute little Deer Haven

by TripAdvisor Member sailchange

We were very pleasantly surprised by this property. The location, cleanliness and staff made our stay really perfect. The motel looked nice right off the bat, and the room was clean, neat and modern. For the price ($67 for 4 adults!!), you can;t find a better deal on the Monterey Peninsula. We walked to Asilomar Beach for the sunset (and saw some deer), before a great dinner at the Fishwife -all within walking distance of the motel.

Breakfast in the small office was a little lacking, but fine.

HOW MANY MONARCHS TO A BRANCH?HOW MANY MONARCHS TO A BRANCH?

Ocean Sushi in PGOcean Sushi in PG