Gosby House Inn

Gosby House Inn - A Four Sisters Inn
Expedia.com Priceline.com Booking.com

• Robert96's Profile Photo

Romantic Victorian Mansion

Pacific Grove is a town filled with old Victorian homes,more than a few have been converted to B&B's. The Gosby House is a Victorian Mansion that has been welcoming guest for about 100 years. It is centrally located in Pacific Grove so it is within walking distance of many shops and restaurants, as well as the beach.
    Gosby House is one of the Four Sisters Inns, and rates range from $100-$200 nightly. We stayed in the Deluxe Queen Room ($165). It has a private bath w/tub and a fireplace. It was very cozy and romantic.
    The food offered up at breakfast was always fresh and very tasty. In the afternoon there is wine and hor's deorves (spelling?)

Unique Quality: A beautiflul Victorian mansion with outstanding service. It had a wonderfully romantic feeling to it.

More about Gosby House Inn

Good value in the Grove

by TripAdvisor Member researchap

We were very pleased with our choice of the Gosby House. It is a short walk to Lover's Point and many good restaurants. Pacific Grove is a good choice for a stay on the Monterey Peninsula; it is a short distance to the sights of Monterey and about a 20 minute drive to Carmel. Knowing that it was my husband's birthday, the staff put balloons in our room to celebrate the occasion. We chose one of the rooms in the adjacent cottage - it has a deck and an incredible spa tub. However, light sleepers should be aware that there may be early garbage truck pick-up on some mornings. The gathering rooms did get a bit crowded at breakfast and in the late afternoon, and staff were not always able to keep up. On balance, though, we felt that the inn offered a good experience.

We wanted to stay forever...

by TripAdvisor Member bevbavaro

My mom and I stayed at the Gosby House for her birthday (Thursday, April 5, 2007). We had the Celebration Package which included breakfast in bed, champagne, a teddy bear...etc. (This inn has a nice little habit of outfitting each room with an adoptable teddy bear. Very sweet touch!) The staff also put birthday balloons in the room for my mom, which was nice of them.

We checked in around 4pm, in time for wine and cheese/crackers, cake and cookies, etc. Our hostess, Honey (!), greeted us and gave us the tour. She really helped to make our experience special with her sunny personality and friendly demeanor. (All the Gosby staff we came in contact with were polite, pleasant and helpful.)

Our upstairs room was perfect in every way: clean and cozy with a lot of personality. It was also very peaceful and quiet, even though we understood it to be sold out.

The room was decorated in a very warm, Victorian-era style. It was very comfortable and inviting. There was a jet spa in the bathroom and a spacious double sink area with brass fixtures. We also had a gas fireplace in the room that lit up by a switch on the wall. The furniture in the room looked antique but was sturdy and useful.

The Inn is walking distance from the beach (we had a view from our patio that was nice) and from the quaint old town of Pacific Grove. Shopping and cafes/restaurants all within the same block. Also a nice tea shop/bookstore right around the corner.

We do plan on going back again. It was a wonderful stay and a relaxing experience. We both would recommend the Gosby House Inn to anyone!

Breathtakingly Beautiful!!

When my sister booked our bed and breakfast online "sight unseen", I was quite hesitant about what we would end up with. I was absolutely thrilled when we arrived at the Gosby House Inn!! I couldn't believe how stunning and beautiful the building was. I was even more excited when I saw our room complete with a fireplace, a four-post queen bed with the bed turned down and a rose and two chocolates in the middle of the bed. Is this what royalty is used to getting? There was hot tea and coffee in the lobby right outside our room, not to mention delicious home-made cookies. What a treat! The next morning, we were delighted with the scrumptious breakfast buffet including eggs, bacon, fruit, orange juice, coffee, tea, cereal, and pastries. We were spoiled like this for the duration of our visit. Around our Victorian mansion, there were millions of gorgeous flowers to gaze at and enjoy. All in all, we can't wait to go back and we're telling all our friends to visit this exquisite inn for a lovely stay by the Pacific Coast.

A very disappointing Bed and Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member GabrielOak

This guesthouse needs an overhaul, I'm afraid. On the positive side, our room was dry and had a clean bathroom. On the negative side, the decoration was poorly maintained and shabby, with worn, frayed and stained carpet. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, with the linen having seen better and fresher days. Some of the staff were curt and were lacking in the personal, interactive touch that we have experienced so wonderfully on the East Coast of the States. Breakfast was very mediocre and it really was unacceptable that on several occasions we could not sit down to eat, or there was no clean cutlery. Parking is a hassle and is not free if you wish to park at the front of the property. The banging and clattering of plates and bins in the restaurant next door was very loud and continued until after 1am. All in all, we were very disappointed with our stay. Pacific Grove is a lovely place to visit, with some great places to eat (like Tina's fantastic vegetarian cafe/bakery), but we would never return to stay in Gosby House.

Easy, comfy inn in PG makes otter spotting an extra pleasure

by TripAdvisor Member parisencore

This was our fourth visit to the Gosby House Inn over the last eight years and we never consider staying elsewhere.

Consider this: You pay $99 minimum just to stay in any of the generic 60's motor courts in a boring part of Monterrey, surrounded by an asphalt parking lot near a busy steet, with a sticky-floor bathroom, and a Special K breakfast. So if you are paying $99 for essentialy nothing, for $35 to $75 more you can get a room at the Gosby House Inn, which at least has Victorian-chintz wallpaper charm and, if you book it right, comes with a gas fireplace perfect for appreciating the complimentary nighttime sherry and your book. Or a balcony. Or none of that, but you have a homey location and a decent breakfast, a coke from the hallway fridge, a cookie from the jar, a morning newspaper, and a couple blocks walk to the bay.

Gosby House is an historic bldg that is now an inn. I wouldn't call it a B+B; it's owned by a small company. You won't find a couple cooking you a gourmet breakfast and chatting you up. The desk help is hired as is the kitchen help. They do a decent job of providing friendly hospitality, local knowledge, and filling in the gaps of things you forgot to bring which, for me, was a shower cap this time.

The breakfast food is decent. I've had worse and I've had better. I'd say they need to upgrade the coffee but after this last visit I realized that many of the guests would not be able to appreciate a gooood cup of coffee the way I like it. (I haven't seen this many women in reverse-fit, tapered jeans in years.) The usually serve meusli, plus an egg dish with interesting muffins (like corn with coconut) or else edible pancakes. When they ran out of pancakes before 10, I inquired, but they wouldn't make any more. They cooked up some scrambled eggs and cheese for us. There was oatmeal but it looked to watery for someone like me me who likes it super thick.

The appetizers are usually raw veggies with ranch-ish dip plus either some cheese and crackers or else a warm artichoke concoction. The white wine is too sweet to drink though the red is tolerable. They should upgrade to Safeway Searidge which is only $3 a bottle, retail. Or get a better boxed wine. You need to get the hors d-oevres between 430 and 530 because after that they start to let me run out.

Sherry and dessert is between 6 and 8. They now put it away at 8 when the staff leaves for the evening. If you are going out to dinner, get your sherry and dessert beforehand and put it in your room. It will still be there after they turn down your sheets for the night and leave you a rose and chocolate. Then enjoy your sherry and whatever they've made for dessert when you get back. It's better than being disappointed.

They used to have complimentary bikes but no longer. We rent them at Advertures by the Sea either down at Lover's Point or on the bike path at Cannery Row near the ovepriced hotel at the south end.

Some of the lesser priced rooms at Gosby House are very small, which is why you pay less. We have always reserved a fireplace room, which are larger. I've liked them all except for one which felt dark to me:
3: Pink toned, fireplace, upstairs, heard some hallway noise but liked it a lot.
5: canopy style bed, dark wallpaper, nice fireplace area, heard some kitchen noise and smelled the kitchen in the morning
19: ouside entrance, tv, but dark
21: back room with outside entrance, light.
9 and 11 are always booked...they must be popular

This time our room came with a VCR and we got a video from the front desk to watch.

There are two common areas: the front room and the main room near the reception desk and food area. Usually one of the two is the more social room where people are meeting each other and socailizing, and the other is where you can have a more quiet intimate time with your companions. We've enjoyed doing both and met some very interesting people. Sometimes, though, you can end up at a place like this and suddenly it is swarming with people that are on vacation to be contrarian about politics and religion because they don't get enough of it at home. In those times it's always nice that there's that other room where you escape to have the getaway you want!

PG is one of our favorites, with it's casual ambiance, light traffic, bike path, nice walking neighborhoods, lots of cats, excellent otter spotting locations, and Monarch butteryfly sactuary. We love PG over Carmel. It feels authentic and undiscovered (though we know it is sort if discovered, just not by the "been there done that" types. And if you want hiking, Big Sur hiking is an easy day trip.

We look forward to our next visit. Always check their website for specials!

Loved it this time, and have love going there many time over the last decade.

We came to the Godsby house kind of by chance many years ago. We found that the hospitality of the hosts and service people as well as the warm accomodations make it our first choice over even Cobblestone in Carmel. The community is very user friendly, and my wife and I have gone on great walks to Monterey and the aquarium, touring shops and museums as well . When we come back to a nice glass of wine and some delecious treats we becom refreshed and are ready to go out for a great dinner in the neighborhood. After dinner we came "home" to a glass of nice sherry and a cookie. Then off to a comfortable bed and a beautiful nights sleep. We always feel welcome and appreciated when ever we go to the Godsby House. Many thanks. Sincerely Warren Cane.

Like Being in a Tree House

by TripAdvisor Member Kibblesmom

My husband and I stayed in a Carriage House room on the top level. This was our second stay in this room. The large oak tree towering over the courtyard gave us the feeling of being in a tree house. The room is large enough with a sitting area next to the fireplace, a T.V in an armoire, a mini fridge for cold drinks, a large bathroom with a jetted soaking tub and stall shower, and a huge deck to enjoy the sunset and bay view. This is now our room of preference when we plan our Pacific Grove visits.

Our only disappointment was on the second morning of our stay. They served hard boiled eggs for breakfast, which also happened on a previous visit. We later learned that they serve boiled eggs when they offer waffles for breakfast. It's not the same when you're expecting an "egg dish" such as eggs benedict, etc., but that will not deter us from future visits.

Nice people, comfortable inn, Poor food quality

by TripAdvisor Member Maverick&stoli

We have stayed at the seven gables and the grand view many times, so we thought we would try a new b & b out. When we arrived we were greeted nicely. We were checked in early which was nice because most b & b's are very strict about their times. We got to our room and it was very cozy and comfortable. Everything was going great until we went down for an afternoon snack which had just been put out 30 minutes before we got their and everything was pretty much gone. We thought it would be replenished but it never was, which to me was something I had never experienced. Not just that the other b & b's I have been have quality snacks this place had a veggie tray and a chesse ball. The breakfast was worse, a cold english muffin with an egg and a piece of red bell pepper, or luke warm microwaved oatmeal not throughly cooked. This was very disappointing . .. . .but I guess we learned not to stray from the seven gables and grand view inn.

Decent Value

by TripAdvisor Member Erinh1

My husband and I had the upstairs cottage, room 23, which I believe is their nicest room. For the price paid, $195, I felt it was a decent value. The previous reviewer is comparing this property to B&B's that are double the price, so they should be nicer. We enjoyed our deck and the privacy of not being in the main house. The bathroom was large, shower & jacuzzi tub w/bath salts were nice. The carpet was kind of industrial-grade indoor/outdoor with what I thought was a big stain, but my husband pointed out it was a burn from an iron. The bed was comfy and at least this fireplace was a little more real--when you flipped the switch on the wall the flame came on until you turned it off.

This is a B&B but you won't get a warm fuzzy feeling here. We arrived around 6 p.m. and the only afternoon snacks remaining were 4 pieces of vegetables and 4 crackers (they state it ends at 6:30 p.m). They were finishing putting out the plates, glasses & place settings for breakfast. This was on every table & coffee table in the public areas, so you sure didn't feel like you could sit down, relax & read or play games in any place other than your room. We came back from dinner at 9:15 and they did have a few brownies still out, but no sherry. I decided to have a cup of coffee and discovered the cream was empty. No staff present after 9 p.m., so no more cream. If you read the information in your room, you'll learn there's a small frig by the back door with complimentary soft drinks--that was nice.

Breakfast was about one step above continental because we did have scrambled eggs. They also had oatmeal, granola, english muffins, some dry pineapple muffins & cantaloupe. There were 2 ladies who did a good job of replenishing items although they did not speak English, so no friendly chat with the inkeeper as you'd expect at a B&B. The front desk staff seemed to be college students.

Nice touches--newspaper at the door in the morning, rose at turndown & a noon check-out. I peeked in a couple of rooms in the main house, and would suggest them to be a good deal if in the $150 price-range, if you're going to be out and about all day sightseeing, and if you just need a place mainly to sleep. This B&B is in a good location for walking to restaurants and the downtown area of Pacific Grove.

Comments