133 Asilomar Blvd., Pacific Grove, California, 93950, United States

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• Pacific Grove's Hidden Gem

My friend & I stayed at the Sunset Inn from Oct. 11-14. This was my first trip to California, as I live on the East Coast. Pacific Grove was beautiful, and the Sunset Inn was quaint and quiet, extremely clean, and convenient to downtown Monterey. We really enjoyed the remote feel of the courtyard, the beautiful landscaping, the waterfall shower head and stone floor in the shower, the mini fridge, fireplace,the Plantation shutters, and the leisurly breakfast at the table by the window of bagels, coffee, & tea each morning of our stay. Barbara was very pleasant and helpful, knowledgeable about the area, and accomodating by letting us use the microwave in the office to heat up leftovers. The maid staff were very friendly, pleasant, and accomodating also. I would highly recommend the Sunset Inn to everyone, and if I ever get to the area again, I would surely stay there. Couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience!

Unique Quality: Taking a shower under the waterall shower head with the bathroom window open was like being at a tropical retreat.

• Absolutely Gorgeous

I actually stumbled upon this beautiful Inn passing by the old lighthouse in Pacific Grove and will now only stay there when I come back to the Monterey Peninsula. The Inn has just undergone a huge redevelopment and is absolutely amazing. They have showers that actually come from the ceiling instead of the wall (i don't know if that is very clear) which i thought was a very novel idea. Our room had a fireplace, hardwood floors, huge flat screen tv and a really comfortable bed. I wouldn't rate it as high as the Westin Heavenly bed (which I think is the best bed I have ever slept in), but it was pretty close. The beach was about half block away and i got some beautiful sunset pictures. at night i sat out on the balcony with my wife and we drank wine and listened to the ocean. It was really romantic. The best thing about this place was that it was rediculously quiet. It's kind of off the main road and right next to the golf course. Loved loved loved the sunset inn and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Unique Quality: new rooms
    beautiful exterior

Directions: pacific grove near lighthouse

More about Sunset Inn

Long time Pacific Grove Visitor

by TripAdvisor Member McClintock

Since my wife & I had stayed at this Motel before and were satisfied, we called and made a reservation direct at the motel. We were very disappointed in our room this time - it had been 3-4 yrs. since our last stay. On arrival, my wife found a wet, dirty wash cloth on the back of the toilet, but since the other linens looked O.K., she tossed it in the shower. There was mold around shower door. The room was quite small, the fireplace didn't work (probably good thing since it was really too close to the bed). The phone was dead, which I didn't find out until after 9 p.m., with no one in the office to report it to. The mattress in this room was very uncomfortable and you could hear the springs squeak, from ordinary turning over. This room is definitely in need of renovation. We were charged $109.+ tax, for a Sun. Nite. After seeing another review of a couple staying close to same time for $89., with a large comfortable room - question arises as to fairness of how rates are set - ? In checking out, I told attendant at front desk of our opinion of the room, and he commented he didn't understand why we were put in "that room"- he didn't like it either, and there were plenty of other rooms available that nite. No offer of an adjustment was made, and I didn't ask for one. I have been staying on the Monterey Peninsula for over 50 yrs., both as a salesman & owner of rental property in the area. I should have requested a different room or gone elsewhere. I'm sure a much better value would have been available, had I taken the time to do that. So, far what it's worth, it you plan on staying at this motel, make sure you look at the room first, and do check out the mattress. For me, the old cliche holds - "Bit by dog once - dog's fault - bit by same dog twice, my fault".

Unfortunately too dirty

by TripAdvisor Member walker42

Sunset Inn is in a nice location, a block from the beach near the Lighthouse, and inexpensive by Pacific Grove/Monterey standards. The person who checked me in was very pleasant and my room was spacious with a big fireplace and a layout that made it feel less like a typical hotel room than most. I would have been really pleased but there were a couple of major problems. The carpet was so stained it looked like polka dots - nasty black spots on dirty brown. But that didn't worry me too much because it could still have been sanitary even though stained. But the dirt in the bathroom was really excessive. I'm not talking about just a stray hair or too. When I rubbed a tissue along the edge of the floor (to see if I was just seeing stains like the carpet) I came up with a thick layer of dirt, dust and hair that must have taken months if not years to build up. Too bad, because I liked the price and location. But I can't imagine ever staying there again.

Small, and Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member aho4610

Spent 2 nights at the Sunset Inn, Nov 1st and 2nd. This is an older Inn that has had a lot of upgrades to bring it up to today's expectations.
I found the staff to be extremely courteous, and helpful. They were a pleasure to deal with. The Inn was very quiet at night, and was clean. The maid I encountered did a great job.
The only issue were some maintenance needs in the bathroom, but these wouldn't keep me from staying there again.

Cozy Ambiance, Relaxing, Good Service

by TripAdvisor Member SpecialTraveler

The Sunset Inn is a very pleasant Inn with cozy ambiance. The staff provides good service. The deer run wild during the day. The place has a very pleasant feel and is very relaxing. Within a few minutes of the ocean, I wish I could stay here year around.

Good vibe, great location, very service oriented

by TripAdvisor Member wmg1958

We stayed at the Sunset Inn January 26-28 2007. The room was very nice, quiet (didn't know there was anybody in the next room until we saw them checking out the next morning) and relaxing. Our room had a big, comfortable king bed, jets in the tub and a fireplace. Very spacious. The staff was helpful; there was a small problem with the hot water and they responded immediately and in a friendly manner, complete with a mechanical explanation of what caused the problem. The continental breakfast was generous and got us through lunch; it is served in the main office, where the cozy atmosphere sparked conversation among the guests. The place was very clean, yet didn't have that sterile feeling that I have come to dislike in a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels...big resorts often feel to me more like a hospital than a hotel.

Location couldn't be beat! 5 minutes walk and you are looking at starfish in a tidepool or the beautiful aquamarine crest of a wave as it comes crashing down on the beach. the environment was very relaxing. If you are into fitness, there were lots of good running roads, also bicycle trails both paved and otherwise and a golf course right there.

Everyone that we met at the Sunset Inn took a good deal of pride in the place, showing us the other rooms, pointing out the work that had been done recently. The workers had a smile on their face and there seemed to be a true feeling of commeraderie among them. Clearly the management recognizes the worth of their staff, which for me means everybody is going to be pulling together to make the stay pleasant...and they did. Esprit de corps can't be bought, it has to be earned, and they've done it here.

There were some reviews that almost disuaded me from coming here, specifically McClintock of Silicone Valley and Walker 32 from Asheville NC. From what I could see, the issues they raised have been dealt with. I think we got the same room as "Walker." The carpet had been replaced, and the place, though not sterile (which again I would have hated) was clean and sanitary. Upon checkout, I was given a free night's stay to use before April and they even added another night to boot for my tavelling companion. There was no mold, there was no dust, the bed didn't squeak and in fact was very comfortable. I get the sense that the proprieter listened to the criticism and acted to correct these problems. To fellow travellers, I would say to book this place with confidence. Lots of Inns in Pacific Grove, that's for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Sunset again. We had a good time.
Good staff (alert, helpful, engaging and working together)
Great location if you want to get away from it all
Clean, quiet rooms

A mixed bag

by TripAdvisor Member visitor77

When I made reservations, I was told that I could have a regular room or the best they had to offer, which was upstairs with a view. So I took the best and paid accordingly. When we arrived, we were given a nice room downstaris with no view. They did let me look at other rooms but, never the room upstairs I thought we were getting. In the morning, my toilet backed up and dumped a bowl of water on the bathroom floor. I called the # they had for help and received no response. I cleaned up the water. When they finally opened in the morning, I mentioned the problem and the response was a very matter of fact "OH". I suggested a plunger and was given one rather than them doing the work. Yes the attendant was busy setting up breakfast but still ... . Later in the day I discussed the situation with the other attendant and basically received a similar response. I guess one needs to rant and rave to get some attention. The room was nice but nothing special. The breakfast was mostly about rasin bread, muffins or rolls nothin special. Some of the strawberries in the minimal fruit basket had mold. I don't think we'll be going back.

DO NOT STAY HERE

by TripAdvisor Member jokrzrice

After reading the reviews on this and other sites, I assumed it would be an okay room. Okay, I can handle, the room my family and I stayed in was below okay. We booked the "deluxe" room with king size bed, jacuzzi and fireplace. We got a full size bed, a jacuzzi with mildew in the jets and on the tiles of the shower. Thank goodness, for the fireplace because that was our only heat. Unfortunately, it was on a timer. We had to jam my husband's wallet in between the door jam and the timer to keep it going. We had to get some an air bed because we read the room wrong and thought it said 2 beds. The man at the desk brought it and said he would finish making it after we left the room. The air bed filled the rest room, even after moved furniture around. There was not any extra walking room. We returned 4 hours later and the bed was still unmade. There was nobody at the front desk at 8, although the posted time said the office hours were until 10. The walls were incredibly thin we heard the neighbors all night long. The wall dryer plug was taped up and looked like it was a fire hazard.

Pricy but comfortable stay

by TripAdvisor Member cramya80

After reading all the reviews I was very skeptical about this place, but I had very few choices since me and my husband planned this trip during memorial week end at the last minute. So this was the only decent place that was left.

The room looks exactly the same as in teh website, the room was clean, nice sheets, very small stand up shower that you will hit the wall when you try to showere, but it didnt bother us much.

The manager was very kind enough, they have a phone to call if we come after hours, we checked in at 2 am since we drove from oakland. She was kind and courteous. The breakfast is nothing fancy but you get muffins , bread toast and coffee. We were happy with it. There is a great coffee place just in a block where you get fresh chocolates too, also there is regular grocery store. Big sur is 1 hr from here and the beach is beautiful if you walk down teh street 5 min. When you drive past the inn , there is a nice scenic drive with cottages and park bences. Altogether the trip was beautiful.

We paid approx 500 for 3 nights.
thanks and have a nice stay. I will recommend this place.

Would look elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member kkmkf

The room we received (116) did not look anything like the remodeled room in the website. The walls were dirty & in dire need of a fresh coat of paint. The bathroom sink would not drain as the sink stopper would not raise up. When I opened up the sink door, there were droppings in the bottom that showed this place was in need of a good exterminator.
We told the woman at the front desk about our sink's condition as well as our unwanted guest.
I don't think it was just our room as the next morning when we were in the office, another guest came in to complain that his sink was not draining.
And don't try to communicate with the cleaning ladies, they don't speak English.
Nice location but plenty of other places in the area that have to be cleaner. Try them.

Comments