411 E. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, California, 92264, United States

Costs 51% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Caliente Tropics Resort

Caliente Tropics Motel

by TripAdvisor Member Krazie

If they would go ahead and just call it a motel, I would have thought that it was great ( on the slight change I would have stayed there at all). However, the term "resort" is misleading at best. Do not be fooled by the carefully angled pictures on their website! To give them credit, they do offer nice thick towels, 3 sodas, and a decent pool. Just be aware that it is in the middle of a parking lot. If you are in the Super 8 crowd, then this will be a treat. Just don't think that it is a real Palm Springs resort.

Caliente Tropics stands alone!

The best value in town. The grounds of CTR are second to none. Everything about this resort has a custom feel. A great location, and when you arrive at the Tropics, you know that you will never see another place like it. Words cannot explain how unique this place is, you must see it for yourself. Complimentary breakfast and daily LA times are just the tip of the Iceburg. A must if your in the Palm Springs area.

Caliente Tropics is a Hawaiian Paradise in Palm Springs

I didn't want to leave the Caliente Tropics paradise after three wonderfully enchanting days. Between the bamboo gardens and the incredible Hawaiian Tiki bar, the only thing missing was a concert by Don Ho! I was really impressed with the staff and my god, the lobby is beautiful! Definately check out the amazing complimentary breakfast and they even provided some free soft drinks in the room's minibar. Since my first visit, I have been back twice. My favorite thing about the Caliente Tropics is that I know that there is only one! That sure makes me feel special when I'm there.

caliente tropics is a great place to stay in palm springs

by TripAdvisor Member globetrotterrr

The Caliente Tropics is the perfect place for a weekend getaway to Palm Springs. They have beautiful rooms and a very nice aloha atmosphere. The pool is large and they have many things I look for in a hotel.
1. no smoking on property
2. free continental breakfast / the best ive seen
3. free LA Times!
4. They allow dogs!
5. Beautiful decor in rooms.
6. Clean and friendly
I would highly reccommend.

Great Escape

What a great escape! Caliente Tropics is a great place to relax and enjoy the spectacular grounds. Customer service & ammenities are excellant. The Caliente Tropics is a true Oasis in the desert.

The worst "Resort" ever

We went there to celebrate our anniversary.. Booked this 'resort' by the description on its website and let me tell u, its deceptive. it is no better than a motel.. The breakfast, like some of u have already mentioned is the worst ever. If they charged 50 bucks for a room all this was justified, but guess what they charge about 150 for a motel room!!!!!!!!! we expected something really luxurious at this rate, but it was not even close. we checked out one day early and left Palm Springs disappointed. The Wyndham Resort was for a lesser price and that looked fantastic and yes it was an actual 'resort'! as a matter of fact, there are several options to choose from in Palm Springs and we chose the worst.

Nice enough, but check your bill CAREFULLY.

The rooms are nice enough (clean, attractive, comfortable beds), and the pool is large and has nice grounds, but my experience here was tainted by a few things. At checkout we encountered an extremely sneaky charge for the safe even though we didn't use it. When I complained and asked for the charge to be removed, the desk staff was reluctant. Worst of all, my party and I stayed there together in two separate rooms and were actually charged twice for one night. Getting the bill straightened out took fprever and we kept getting the runaround, but with no apology or graciousness from the manager.Also, the advertised breakfast is minimal and consists mostly of tiny boxes of cereal, plastic containers of yogurt, terrible coffee (my party and I kept running to Starbucks for something decent). Annoying and a little weird are the price lists in the rooms for even the smallest bits of decor, and the plaques in the tiny bathrooms about how the property was once owned by the Kimes family (mother and son are notorious con artists and were convicted of murder in NY) -- creepy, rather than the entertaining kitch they're probably aiming for.It was my first trip to Palm Springs, and I'm sure I could have done better for the price.

This place is perfect!

This is a 1960's tiki/polynesian themed resort that has been completely updated but still retains its original character. I have stayed at this resort three times (2001, 2002 & 2004) and loved it each time. The rooms are magnificant, clean, new bedding, beautiful furniture, wonderfull turndown service, etc. On site restaurant and newly revamped (2004) pool side tiki bar (the Reef) are great places to cool off and relax inside. This is the only place I will stay while in Palm Springs. You will not be dissappointed.

A Tiki Oasis

The Tropics is a Tiki Oasis in the desert. It had clean rooms and attentive staff. It was a relaxing visit at a classic 60's tiki-polynesian styled motel/resort. It has a large pool and jacuzzi. There's even a real tiki bar complete with real mai tais. If you want a big high rise impersonal resort then dont come here. It's kid and pet friendly and non smoking.

Tiki time travel

I love tiki and mid-century architecture. I was surprised to find that such a great example of both still existed. Don't expect a tired, run-down place, either. It has been refurbished, so it is nice and fresh. The room decor and amenities were more refined than I expected. We'll call it Tiki Tasteful. The bathroom towels were a little harsh, but the big, soft custom beach towels more than made up for that. I liked the continental breakfast. There was yogurt, juice, scones, oatmeal, cereal. There was a newspaper at our door in the morning. The staff is very attentive and they really seem to care about their establishment. I had a good time and will be back.

House from Albert Frey, Palm SpringsHouse from Albert Frey, Palm Springs

Long Legged LovelyLong Legged Lovely

Prop plane from Palm Springs to Las VegasProp plane from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Leopard leeping across Hummers!Leopard leeping across Hummers!

Best "Party Pool"?

by ttinco

Any recommendations for a hotel/resort with a wild & crazy pool scene?

Water volleyball would be a plus, but is far from necessary.

Re: Best "Party Pool"?

by JohnFarley123

Hi, from my party experiences in Palm Springs I have found that Caliente Tropics had everything that you seem to be looking for, you can check out the website at www.calientetropics.com

Family-friendly place to stay in Palm Springs

by welbourn3

We have bought our plane tickets and are heading to Palm Springs in March! Most of that time will be spent in Joshua Tree and Death Valley. But we need to stay in Palm Springs for one night before we leave (we are using that airport). Many of the mid-range places I have been looking at get some terrible reviews about "creepy people", "Trashy surroundings", or "drunken loitering".
We have an eleven year old and a twenty year old daughter. We just want to chill, swim, and may be walk around a bit before we head back east. Any suggestions?

Try this place http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/rs/1/en/hotel/plmhi

Great reviews. If it is too much, the Travelodge on E. palm Canyon is also good for families.
One thing you will run into is springbreaker's, expect the odd party room

by davidmg

There are 2 Marriott properties on Tahquitz Canyon Way, the Courtyard and the Renaissance Marriott. I have stayed many times at the Courtyard. It has always been clean and quiet, with a nice pool area. My only complaint is that they still do not have flat-screen TV's, but it is not a big issue with me. By the way, I have also stayed there with my children and grandchildren, and we had no problems. I usually get a good rate with a AAA membership.

Good call on the Courtyard David. They are good for kids with the breakfasts

by YVRDave

Not sure if this is in the budget, it is a pretty good show www.psfollies.com/

by welbourn3

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't fully consider spring breakers...will have to think about that. Thanks, Val

by Nifti

Hi We are from Australia and will also be in PS in March and after much research decided on the PalSprings Travel Lodge, they had a special at $84.00 per night and were great to deal with.

by JauntBoy

I and my friends stay at the Vagabond Inn. It's clean, inexpensive, out of the way, and the staff are friendly and helpful. It's about 10-15 minutes from the airport. They are located at 1699 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264. Phone is (760) 325-7211.

by HELEN

If you are going with kids, I would say don't stay at the Viceroy. Even though, they do have kid friendly areas and a kid friendly pool, you may spot a naked person on two hanging out on their balcony.

by YVRDave

I stayed at the Caliente Tropics last night. Lots of kids at the pool. The Travelodge next door is really nice and includes breakfast.
Of course the Grand Champions, here now, is REAL nice