Comfort Inn Palm Springs

Rated 12% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

More about Palm Springs

Indian Canyon Golf ResortIndian Canyon Golf Resort

Village Fest Palm SpringsVillage Fest Palm Springs

Tram station in the valley.Tram station in the valley.

San JacintoSan Jacinto

soon to be a new resident!

by palmspringbound

Hi.. I will be moving to the palm springs area soon, and trying to find a house to rent or buy. Is there area's that I should try and avoid? I would like to find a "deal" on a house, and see lots of forclosures avail in cathedral city. Is this a safe area to buy? Thanks for any help.

by bocmaxima

Cat City isn't a particularly good area, in general. I say "in general" because the whole Coachella Valley is really spotty with how "good" or "bad" a neighborhood is. Even Indio has its good sections. Rancho Mirage is probably the only area that is all "good," but I don't think you'll find a "deal" there.

by we135b

i will second bocmaxima's assessment. very hit and miss throughout. however, rancho mirage and palm desert are fairly safe bets. you might check la quinta also.

by Odinnthor

Agree with both above replies. Cat City is known for being the place where the support staff of Palm Springs live, and there are some unfavaorable aspects to that scenario. There is a reason for the ample availability of forclosures in Cat City. Better research further, seeing how the purchace of a house is somewhat permanent......

by Odinnthor

... to add to my reply, - I am not saying that this applies directly to Cat City, but the California desert is known as a crystal meth supply center, in general. Some of that reputation can be linked to Cat City, but please understand that this is a general statement. Suffice it to say that C meth is an ongoing problem in the desert, and should be included in any decisions regarding a place of residence.

by YVRDave

I was there in February, looking at real estate, and found some deals in Bermuda Dunes. It depends on your budget, needs and wants. Get a realtor as searching the MLS can be difficult if you don't know the area

by YVRDave

Didn't know of the meth problem, thanks for that

by we135b

i agree. in particular stay away from north of interstate 10.

by GlobeTrekr

I've got a family member who is a Sheriff Deputy in Riverside County and is based out of Palm Desert. Cathedral City is also an area which he patrols. If you give me certain neighborhoods (i.e. exact streets and cross streets) where you are interested in buying and possibly picking up a foreclosure I may be able to help. I can get a hold of him and ask if that particular neighborhood is crime ridden, decent, good, or excellent. Much of this will be based on whether Sheriffs' get called out to that area much or not. Keep in mind that "safe" areas tend to get lots of burglaries and domestic violence calls. Although its not the only indication of a good or bad area, I would say its definitely a great start!

by palmspringbound

Thanks everyone!! we won't start the house hunt for a few more months.. have to sell a house in NC first. I hope we can find something nice and safe. Ill definitly get back to you for the sheriff help when we actually have something to look at! Thanks again everyone.

by palmspringbound

By the way.... can anyone give me some info re: buying a house on leased land opposed to fee land. I would assume its better not to get involved in leased land.

by YVRDave

Depends on the length of the lease. a 99 year lease would work for many generations.
Why not get a Real Estate Agent, they would have a good grasp of that question

Travel Tips for Palm Springs

Solar Trash Compactor

by Yaqui

I had to giggle, but at the same time I was fascinated to actually see one of these. I thiink they are a great idea. I wish more cities had them. It would save a lot of time, money, and help our environment too! So if you see one of these, please use them.

Solar Trash Compactors

Don't bring your closet

by HELEN

A weekend in February was a tough time to pack for. It was supposed to be 80 during the day and about 45 at night. Just summer clothes wasn't enough, I had to think of cold nights. I came to find out that I could've just packed according to the day weather and just bring a coat for night time.
During summer time, all you'll need is a bathing suit. Don't forget your running shoes or hiking gear, those will most likely come in handy as there are lots of hiking trails in the area.

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Marker

by Yaqui

This other significant marker is located up the stairs towards the first viewing area on the rocks to the left.

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
Stanley J O’Neill

Henry L Lockwood – Counsel

One Tramway Rd. Palm Springs, CA. 92262

Hours of Operation
Cars depart at least every half hour from 10 a.m., Monday-Friday; 8 a.m. weekends and holiday periods. Last car up is 8 p.m. with the last car down at 9:45 p.m

Amazing Buffet at Morongo Casino

by bvizzle12 about Oasis Buffet

Every time I go to the Morongo casino in Cabazon, close to Palm Springs (which is not that very often :-)) I stop at the Oasis Buffet before starting anything else. It has every food you can imagine, Italian, Asian, American, Salads, Desserts, it's unbelievable and it's delicious. The atmosphere is great! It is one of my favorite buffets, even comparing to the ones in Vegas. (maybe not the Rio's buffet but definitely all the other ones)

At lunch time it's less than $15 and you can get discounts if you have a player card from the casino.

When you enter the casino from the parking elevators, keep walking left until you find it!

Enjoy, you will not regret it!

Explore the desert with Desert Adventures

by marypthomas

Our family took Desert Adventures’ big red jeeps to experience their AWARD-WINNING jeep tours to the San Andreas Fault. We journeyed through spectacular box and slot canyons and learned all about earthquakes. Our guide explained how tectonic forces created the slanted, vertical and wave-like structures that have been described as the most tortured landscape on earth. We visited a natural palm oasis & Indian village, and enjoyed an archeological dig activity. We learned about the local Indian Tribe called the Cahuillas and learned how these hunter-gatherers lived and thrived in the harsh desert environment! Our guide took us on a historical journey through time from ice age to gold rush…from stagecoach to railroad. We learned how and why early pioneers migrated to the hottest, driest desert in North America and panned for gold at an Old Mining Camp, our kids just loved it and so did we! I would recommend this tour to anyone!

Comments