Hotel Zoso

Satisfaction Average

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo

An Ok Hotel that is Over-rated

Cons:

The brunch is overrated. Too expensive without any quality. Why pay $65 for food that lacks taste or quality? The pool is milky looking and filthy. The room keys demagnetize all the time. The young college crowd on weekends are noisy and inconsiderate. I guess they are finally experiencing a vacation and feel the need to announce to the whole world how ignorant they are about going on a vacation. The staff all seem a little odd. If you are between the ages of 26 and 49, you will feel uneasy at this hotel.

Pros:

The room was very comfortable, especially the bed and pillows. Very centrally located close to many restaurants.

Given the price, I was somewhat unsatisfied (maybe 2 1/2 stars). I slept well, but other than that, there were a lot of little things that seemed off about this place. I wouldn't stay here again if I ever decide to return to Palm Springs again.

Directions: Downtown Palm Springs

More about Hotel Zoso

Learn Japanese Here!

by JNewcpr about Okura Robata Grill & Sushi Bar

The first Okura opened "down valley" in La Quinta, CA in 2005 and the second Okura opened in downtown Palm Springs in January 2008. The La Quinta restaurant is a bit more casual-elegant, but still sophisticated, while the Palm Springs store is almost Euro-tech and hip. Indoor and outdoor dining at both locations. If you love raw, you'll appreciate the freshness of the fish delivered daily from an elite L.A. purveyor. When my significant other and I are feeling flush, we go for Chef Kaoru Ishii’s Omakase -- the Japanese version of a chef's tasting menu. It's pretty expensive because he takes the best of the best ingredients in the kitchen and creates a 6-course meal that will knock your socks off.

But you can go in the other direction and nibble on small plates and have a memorable evening. If you're in the Valley for a couple of weeks, check their website for sake pairing dinners -- their sake list is really something.

The head bartender is a very cool woman named Paige who came from the Hotel Zoso down the street. She has created some delicious cocktails, like the a Japanese Pear Martini with Grey Goose pear vodka and real asian pear puree. A Red Dragon Martini rimmed with Japanese red salt. The White Tiger, a white chocolate martini is mixed with lychee puree garnished with a white chocolate stuffed lychee and the Wasabi Pucker (don't ask).

Anyway, if you appreciate Japanese cuisine, I think you'll get hooked on Okura. Let me know.

Beautiful Hotel

Beautiful rooms at Hotel Zoso. Beds were so cozy to sleep in. Wonderfully located in Downtown. Minor flaws could be overlooked, no ATM in hotel, no toiletries in bathroom upon arrival. Staff was friendly and professional. Great martini bar with an incredible bartender! Romantic place to get away from it all!

Location, Location, Locatiion

by TripAdvisor Member leondrataylor

My husband and I are avid travelers and we highly recommend this hotel with its contemporary flair and great location. Hotel Zoso is right in the heart of downtown Palm Springs and we would definitely stay there again only this time in one of their suites. We had a view facing the pool and we got the Palmsprings special rate off the internet during the Easter holiday. The only drawbacks were the pool size and the beds were uncomfortable but everything else made up for it. The EAT Restaurant served a good breakfast and this summer when the spa and fitness center open the rates are sure to go up. Act now.

A very pleasant surprise!

I was a little reluctant to go to yet another conference and when I saw that it was being held at the Hotel Zoso it piqued my interest. A quick google search and I realized that we were in for a very enjoyable stay. What a pleasant surprise and a wonderful hotel! From the moment we got picked up at the airport by Tony we knew we had made the right choice. It is not always very easy nor convenient traveling with a one year old and they were so helpful and accommodating that it made our stay very enjoyable. The art work and the design features of the hotel were beautiful, thoughtfully chosen and carefully executed. The room was great with everything we needed and more! The food at the conference was ***** and this was conference food! We didn't get a chance to use the pool as it snowed in Palm Springs and was cold and it still looked very inviting. I highly recommend this hotel to any traveller seeking a different type of hotel and I anxiously await the Spa opening as we are already talking about a return trip.

Hip, Trendy, Affordable

by TripAdvisor Member bbaum11s

Just returned from 2 days at Hotel Zoso and absolutly loved it. Has a very modern upscale vibe to it. Mostly LA, San Francisco, San Diego types staying at the hotel. Saw a couple celebs, a former A lister and a couple of B listers. Rooms were fairly large and well appointed. Upscale shampoos and soaps, Aveida, were a nice touch as well. Located in the middle of "downtown". All the staff were very courteous and helpfull. Waiter brought my breakfast to the pool even though he was busy with other customers inside eating at the restaurant. Breakfast was good, dinner came highly recommended by other guests but I can't speak for it myself. Only complaint was lack of staff at the pool. Pool was busy with about 30-40 people on Sunday and only one bartender and no cocktail waiter/waitress. Drinks were weak as well. Overall a very nice stay. No fitness center or spa onsite yet but they expect it to be up and running soon. $10 resort fee covers wifi throughout the hotel and mandatory valet. Was able to find a room for $139 Sun-Mon reg $199. Will definetly stay here again next time back. Perfect for 20-30 crowd but older crowds will appreciate it just as well. Any questions feel free to email.

Woe-so!

by TripAdvisor Member clambake33

My girlfriend and I went to Palm Springs for a Easter getaway. We had heard good things about the Hotel Zoso, so we are excited to stay there. Unfortunately, we came away very disappointed, especially for the price. First, I should mention that this is not a family hotel. Most of the guests seemed groups young men wearing speedos. The architecture of the property feels like an "office park". Aside from some firepits and better than average patio furniture, the pool area could be at the Ramada Inn. I know that the miminalist thing, is "In", but the chocolate brown walls of the place are flat out ugly. Also, be aware that the hotel permits dogs. So be prepared for lots of little yappy dogs in the lobby and the hallways. We had breakfast at the "EAT" restaurant in the lobby. The service was very polite, but the kitchen was unbelievably slow. The restaurant was empty, but it took over 30 minutes to get 2 poached eggs and granola to our table. Regrettably, the eggs were cold and the check was $30 bucks. The room was comfortable and had a nice big screen TV. For almost $300 dollars a night, there are plenty of much better places to stay in the area.

Needs a bit of polish, but pretty good on the whole...

by TripAdvisor Member kathalina

I have never written a review of a hotel before, but I found your website so helpful on past trips I thought I would share our experience with others. My husband and I are tough critics. On the whole, we would recommend this hotel. The room was large and comfortable, if a bit drab in color. It was nice to stay in a hotel that was hip and not cookie cutter in design. First, the positives...We called ahead as we were going to be arriving before the regular check in time, and they had kindly arranged for our room to be ready, and everyone was very very nice. Only the one restaurant was yet open, EAT, and it was delicious and innovative. Room service was delivered quickly. The bedding was cozy and heavy and clean, great for relaxing and watching the plasma tv! The bar was chic and lively and although we did not have time to use the pool, the pool area looked great as well. My husband used the workout facitilities at a property next door since their gym is not yet open, and he said it was excellent (there was a $10 fee, but worth it). We appreciated the good tea with real cream and the French coffee press in the room. The problems we encountered were the following: the room could have been a bit cleaner (one robe appeared to have already been worn and had a coffee stain on the collar, and there were dirty fingerprints around the locks to the sliding doors), the service was spotty (we called down to the valet to have our car brought up as we were on a tight schedule, and they completely forgot and restaurant service was a bit slow at breakfast), and the doors to the rooms must be closed hard to be shut and this noise reverberates through the hallways (we had neighbors who had rooms accross the hall from one another and were drinking and slamming their doors between 2:20 and 2:40 am, until I finally came out and said something). Also, I don't think there was a fridge or mini bar in the room, if that is a concern. That being said, we would probably give the hotel another shot. What are the odds of having those neighbors again? It would be great if the Hotel Zoso could change the door locking systems to a quieter type, but that probably won't happen. We thought for the price that we would rather stay there than at La Quinta. It was fun to be right in the center of town!

Cool crowd, cool rooms, great stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member ViaVeloce

Great hotel!

Crisp clean and cool rooms. The big plasma tv was great!

The lobby bar was a scene the weekend we were there. Room service late at night...what a luxury! The crowd at the pool was quiet, classy and quite nice to look at. I forgot the mountain views and focused on the cool crowd poolside.

The hotel staff was very accomodating, freindly and efficient. Even though we could tell they were new and still finding their way, there attitude was fabulous. we felt at-home. Concierge "Joan" is a pro and so helpful. She sent us to a perfect quiet place for a romantic dinner. Table at 8:00 on a Saturday-no problem.

Our room was spotless and cleaned to perfection.

The location is great, lots of choices for dining and drinks. Shermans deli is the place for breakfast...just out the back door of hotelk and the Tylers Burgers...worlds best!

We'll go back and stay there again and again. All in all great hotel, great service.

Nice, but the HVAC needs work

by TripAdvisor Member marisa13

The room was very spacious, clean, and elegantly appointed, and the bed was incredibly comfortable (with *nine* down pillows). There's a huge TV (with a mediocre picture), a lovely bathroom with nice Aveda products, and plenty of space to stretch out. A table would be a big improvement over the ottoman under the counter, in case one wanted to eat in the room. The only real problem was the heating/AC system. We were in Palm Springs on an unseasonably cold weekend (we drove through snow at very low elevations to and from the city), and the heat didn't work in the room. When we turned it on, the fan never worked, and the room smelled like something was burning. The temperature never got over 63 degrees. We mentioned it when we checked out, but were met with a rather unconcerned reaction. A truly first class hotel would have at least comped breakfast, given the lack of heat in the room.

On the subject of food, though, I must wax rhapsodic. We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant, and it was exquisite. I had a perfectly prepared tuna mignon in a very elegant sauce, with gorgeous veggies and potatoes on the side. My husband was served an enormous pork rack, served with truffles. He said it was fabulous (I don't eat pork, so I can't speak to it personally.) As for dessert -- we couldn't finish the single piece of flourless chocolate torte, which is one of the richest, most decadent desserts I've ever tasted. The only problem with it was that the portion was so large that we both ate more than we should have!

Comments