Korakia Pensione

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Luxury Travel
See Amenities
Nevo's Profile Photo

"Best Small Hotel in the World" .... NOT!!!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 26, 2007

Where do I start.....Ive read so many reviews of this place prior to coming. Every luxury travel publication around called it a "small wonder" or "the most romantic place on earth"...The only reason I booked a weekend to Palm Springs (smack in the middle of summer) was because I wanted to check this Moroccan B&B out. And after all the hype, there is one word I can say, overrated.

Rooms are a 2-night minimum and range from 180-400. I paid 400/nt for a room that had nothing special about it. In actuality it was missing a tv (not that my gf doesnt make good conversations at night but sometimes you just want to kick back with some trashy tv shows). A lot of the furniture didnt even look Moroccan to me (keeping in mind I come from that heritage and have some basic knowledge :) ). It was more of an American Indian meets Spanish influenced meets Granny's closet. I mean to me the little details matter in making a place complete.

The pool is tiny, there is no bar during the day or at night (as they have no liquor license), no restaurant or food on premises, WEAK breakfast (3 tiny pancakes and half a glass of OJ), and a bunch of very young looking girls running the place that are inexperienced. A place with this much reputation you think would employ a responsible staff. We actually had one of the girls tell us "i felt awkward telling you about the tea and coffee that they are self served". I mean everything about the stay was disappointing and not accommodating. For the money you pay this definitely is not worth it. And whoever decided this was one of the best hotels in the world has obviously never left Palm Springs.

The only way i would stay there again is by paying no more than $100/nt

kdawn127 May 30, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Ive had many experiences staying at nice hotels because of my work, a bed and breakfast like Kerokia is best enjoyed when youre not working and totally unique. The staff is as accommodating as you need them to be, besides that its your place to take advantage of and theyre not on patrol. It is a beautiful place, open and lit by lanterns and firepits. Each room is totally unique and the furnishing is well chosen. My biggest issue is picking which room to stay in next because I loved the last so much. The entire place is like one big home, the lobby and pools are open 24 hours, bocce ball, library, outdoor movie every night at 6. Its your grounds to make the best of. Not having a tv is horrifying I know, use your laptop if you must, they do have internet. I stare at my laptop over 8 hours a week, so I chose to look through the books and play records in my room instead. They dont have alcohol. Stop at the store and save yourself the per glass $, they welcome it. City center is a 5 minute walk. They do have room service, it just comes from a restaurant outside the grounds. The french toast breakfast was the best. Overall, it is a very special space, I recommend to all but would be more than happy if it didnt grow tremendous popularity. The place has a great history and featured in coffee table books as one of the best hotels in the world. It truly deserves its status.

Nearby Korakia Pensione

• Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Palm Springs Travel Forum

Need advice about Palm Springs, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Palm Springs and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Palm Springs hotel reviews