726 North Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, California, 92262, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Movie Colony Hotel

We LOVED the Movie Colony Hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member LRMHD

We loved our stay at the Movie Colony Hotel. The atmosphere and decor are stylish and chic and the rooms are extremely comfortable. What I loved most is the beds. They have the most luxurious hotel bedding I've ever experienced - pure heaven.

Upon check in, we were welcomed by one of the hotel owners who like the rest of the staff was very cordial and helpful. She was knowledgeable about the architecture and history of the hotel and Palm Springs in general, as well as things to do, and places to eat. However, once we were there, we found we didn't want to leave.

The hotel feels like a movie set. During the day we relaxed by the pool, but in the evenining there's a complimentary wine hour and guests can sit around the fire pit and mingle and sip on their signature sake based "Dean Martini." The other guests were friendly contributing to the overall good vibe.

In the mornings they serve a lovely complimentary continental breakfast, which we took up to our room and enjoyed on our private terrace with a view of the mountain. They also offer a wide selection of dvd's you can borrow, as well as beach cruisers for riding around town. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to good restaraunts and shops.

We've stayed at a number of fabulous hotels, but this is the first review I too have ever felt inclinded to post. It's the perfect weekend getaway and we already can't wait for our next trip back!

We will become regulars at the Movie Colony

by TripAdvisor Member MrManFitz

We wanted a quiet and relaxing weekend in Palm Springs and the Movie Colony Hotel was the perfect place for this. The modern design of the hotel, the lushly landscaped grounds, and the simple rooms all had a very clean and minimalist feel to them. The beds were totally comfortable and free access to a library of DVD's was a nice touch. The pool is small and quiet, so there's plenty of relaxing and napping to be done there. They have a happy hour where you'll enjoy complementary drinks and snacks with the other guests of the hotel. The front desk was very friendly and helpful and made us feel like we were guests in their own home. We can't wait to go back!

Beautiful small hotel

by TripAdvisor Member schilly

We had a great time at the movie colony hotel. It was very relaxing and intimate.
The only small downside was that you can hear almost every step and every word from the room above you, when you are in a ground level room. Make sure to book an upstairs room.
But other than that it was just amazing. We will be back for sure!

Fun, comfy, little, place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member xhristina

We loved the Movie Colony Hotel! It's a cute, little, boutique hotel. Maybe it's not THE most luxuriuos of hotels (on the level of say, the Viceroy), but for what you're paying - it's EXCELENT!

The rooms were really, nicely, decorated with furnishings you would find at a home, rather than the typical, cheesy, "hotel" furnishings. We REALLY felt at home here. The bed was THE MOST COMFORTABLE bed we have ever had (it was so hard to get out of bed in the morning).

I could see where some reviewers felt the bathrooms had not been updated as nicely as the rest of the room - but they certainly weren't as bad as I imagined after reading those reviews. They weren't fancy and they were kind of small - but they were clean and functional. Bathrooms aren't high on our list of priorities when we're travelling locally and staying only for a weekend. They provided comfy robes for us and Aveda products, which were a nice touch.

The pool was nice but what we loved most was the ambiance. It was a FUN place to stay! The hotel does a great job of encouraging their guests to mingle (at the pool, at Happy Hour, at breakfast, etc.). It's also relatively small, so even for as "social" as it can be, it still manages to still remain fairly calm and relaxing (there isn't a lot of traffic in and out, noise, commotion, etc.).

Perect Spot

I can't write enough great things about this hotel, I enjoy finding a hotel that really does offer great service and good deals, I believe this one has it all!! The staff, the location, the rooms, the pool, and the food and wine are all above and beyond....You won't be dissapointed when booking here....

Incredible

Loved this hotel! Have stayed at many hotels and this one ranks up there on overall experience. The daily Happy Hour featuring great wine the the Dean Martini were excellent. Staff made this place and we are coming back because of them.

Ed & Laura

Palm Springs Weekend Get away - March 19th

Movie Colony is classy and aesthetically in design done very well. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable with no pretense. Staff is inviting and friendly. The private gated compound gives you a sense of privacy and luxury.

Rooms are done well in design, bed is comfortable only discrepancy is our rooms was not insulated very well and we could hear our next door neighbors all night. Do not stay in the upper level room #22. Make sure to get a more private room or a room that has no noise interference.

On a positive note make sure to attend the cocktail hour 5:30PM to 6:30 PM , great cocktails are served out side on the court yard patio that has a fantastic out side fire pit.

The pool and hot tub are heated and easy access.

In the morning a fantastic breakfast is served outside from 8:30 am to 10:30 am with a great array of breakfast treats, fresh exotic fruit, granola, pastries, bagels, fresh ground roast coffee.

Movie Colony is also has easy walking access to the old down town area that is really beautiful. There are various shops and restaurants to choose from, highly recommend.

Definitely will go back to the Movie Colony , just going to request a more private room next time.

WAAAY Overrated

Hotel makes itself out to be so hip and cool. Let me just tell ya, it isn't all that! The staff was lazy and just sat in the office the whole time I was there completely unaware of what was going on around the pool area. The jaccuzzi didn't work- which is what we paid for. Says pets are allowed- they're NOT! Way overpriced for what you get. And don't eat ANYTHING out of the minibar. WAAAY overpriced! And it's not a minibar either. More like a collection of stuff you get at a convenience store. I don't suggest ever going back. My girlfriend told her friends that the place is a bomb. We were completely disappointed in our experience there. Not worth the EXORBIDANT costs...

Wonderful Spot

by TripAdvisor Member kaconway

I'm not sure what the last reviewer was on when they stayed at the hotel, but he is insane. The place is awesome. The staff is so friendly...knew me by name when I walked in. The free cocktail hour is so fun and the breakfast was yummy! I was staying on business and they made me feel at home. It is a beautiful property. I'm not sure what convenience store carries organic and good for you snacks...but that is what they had. The bed rivals the Ritz bed (which I previously considered to be the best). Stay here, you won't be sorry! Well worth the $$$

Palm Springs, California, USA 2007

by llauraa

"breakfast bar"

We stayed at the Movie Colony Hotel, 726 Nth Indian Canyon Drive. This was an extremely comfortable, and adorable 16 room hotel that is designed on the old hollywood heyday and is refurbished 1935 bungalow style building. I could almost see one of the 40s & 50s glamours walking down the stairs or lounging by the pools. A lot of effort has been taken to keep the 30-50s era alive in the decor and furnishings. It was designed by a modernist architect, ALBERT FREY back in 1935 and is set against the backdrop of the San Jacinto mountains right in the heart of the famous movie colony district of downtown Palm Springs.

"Palms Desert"

Interesting to note the difference between one side of the highway leading into Palm Springs to the other. AS we headed in, this is the view on the right of the highway....

"Palm Springs, California, USA"

and this is the view on the left... makes me wonder about the water bills...

"townhouse fireplace and living room"

townhouse fireplace and living room

"firepit"

"hotel walkway"

"walkway between bungalows"

"pool from downstairs living room"

each night after dinner only a short stroll from downtown, I would digest dinner floating in the pool looking up at desert stars. Loved this place. Will definitely stay there again

Comments