The Coyote Inn

234 South Patencio Road, Palm Springs, California, 92262, United States

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo

Just what we were looking for

The Inn is a completely walled small hotel with 8 suites around the pool.

This place is a little paradise, located in a quiet neighbourhood and yet very close to Palm Canyon Drive, where it all happens. Shops, Museum of Art, Street Fest, post office... only a 3 minute walk.
    The view from the inner yard over the mountains and the Palms is stunning. The colorful garden has been arranged with a lot of good taste. Palms, bougainvilleas, olive trees, cacti and other local plants are abundant. We liked the blossoming paradise flowers. As we live in Belgium (chilly rainy land), we were delighted to see those cute little tropical humming birds drinking from the feeders in the garden.

We were surprized when we discovered that from the pool we had a view over one of the famous PS Mid-Century Modern Style houses, built by the architect Albert Frey. See also the tip about architecture in "general tips". Wonderful!

The owners of the Coyote Inn, Mary and Gary are very welcoming people. We felt perfectly at ease and we regretted to leave after our 3 nights stay.

Unique Quality: Wonderful pool and jacuzzi, exotic garden, clean room, bathroom and kitchenette, with all the amenities needed, airco with remote. The beds are of good quality. We slept like a log.

Great place for people who don't need to be animated by others during their vacation. No loud disco, no screaming kids ... a relaxed atmosphere.

Directions: From North Palm Springs: drive South in Palm Canyon Drive. Turn left at Arenas Rd and then take the 3rd left. It's at your left side.

More about The Coyote Inn

Stars at night

Myself, husband and 17 year old son stayed at Mary and Gary's Coyote Inn at the end of July 04. We felt as if we had been invited into their home, they made us feel so welcome.
On the day we arrived we discovered we had mislaid our credit card, (we did have others with us) Mary was very helpful and allowed us to use her telephone free of charge to sort out a replacement card. Our 17 year old son had all the latest videos to watch, also free of charge. Mary let him use the internet at no extra cost, our son was able to keep up with the football results in England!
The room was spotless with everything and more you could wish for. We did a lot of sight seeing and when we went to bed in the evening and switched off the light to sleep, up on the ceiling was a constellation of stars - truly relaxing.
Thank you Mary and Gary for a memorable stay.

Valentine's day delight! LoVEd It!

by TripAdvisor Member missriceandbeans

Let me just say I always consult Trip advisor before booking a mini break or large holiday and I have always been happy I've done so! We were living in San Diego California at the time and I wanted to book a romantic mini break in Palm Springs for my fiance and I for his birthday. He had wanted to see Joshua Tree National Park for sometime and it seemed like the perfect place! It was! The inn is in a residential area, but as soon as you step behind the gates, you are in your own world, and you'll love every minute of it! We had one of the back rooms which was cozy and very clean! Our favorite part was the fire place right next to the bed. Oh and then there were the free movies, and the gorgeous pool right outside your door! We ended up being there on Valentine's day which we had not planned, so where as downtown Palm Springs was packed, we had our own private oasis at the Coyote Inn. The inn keepers are extremely friendly as well. Enough said! If we still lived in San Diego, we would be back in a flash! Enjoy!

Excellent hideaway

by TripAdvisor Member Evomoose

Read the reviews here, expected to be slightly disapointed, but hell no, this place is wonderful. Fantastic, clean and well equipped room with gorgeous views. Within walking distance of the village area, be there Thursdays for the closed streets/ farmers markets. Recommended.

The Coyote Inn - The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness

by TripAdvisor Member Ponderer69

‘The most magical place any of us has ever stayed at’: my wife, Carol, my two sons, Andrew (18) and Kris (16), stayed here at the end of July, 2004, and we all agreed.

But why ‘The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness’?

Well, the first ‘happiness’ had to be the rooms: each one unique, imaginatively decorated, superbly appointed, spotlessly clean and as unlike any ‘hired’ establishment as you could imagine (for example, enough hard-back books in each one to keep you busy for a year).

The second ‘happiness’ was the pool and spa – the tranquillity of swimming under the full moon at midnight with the temperature still well into the 100s and then dunking ourselves into the hot spa is a memory none of will ever forget.

The third ‘happiness’ was the pool area itself: towering palm trees; statuesque cactus; trickling water; splashes of colour from the flowers; a backdrop of the San Jacinto Mountains that look close enough to touch; and, during the day, humming birds frantically chasing each other all over the place like aerial Tom and Jerrys: flights of fantasy unfolding before your very eyes.

The fourth ‘happiness’ had to be the stars that lit up our ceilings when we turned off the main lights and switched on the Ultra-Violet ones. Have you ever slept indoors under the stars? Well, neither had we, until our first night at the Coyote Inn. I image it’s an experience normally reserved for the unfortunate inhabitants of places like Florida and Georgia after the likes of Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne have blown by.

The fifth ‘happiness’ was all the little extras: the chocolate ice cream to welcome us; the pound of coffee in the fridge; the large video library; the use of the washing machine; and many others.

The sixth and last ‘happiness’ was undoubtedly Mary herself (unfortunately, we didn’t get to meet Gary during our stay) who couldn’t have been more helpful and friendly: from free admission tickets to various attractions, to lending us a cold bag for our trip up the Ariel Tramway (even though we were moving on that day because Gary and Mary were unable to accommodate us for our last night in Palm Springs – “Oh, just drop it off at your new hotel: it’ll find its way back to us!”).

So, to summarise: I can’t praise this place highly enough: if I could give it ten stars, rather than just five, I would. It’s worth visiting Palm Springs just to stay here – in fact, if you do stay here, you may not even bother with the rest of PS!

Tranquil, Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member DJ926

All previous reviews ring true! My husband and I decided last minute to take a trip out to Palm Springs, and luckily the Coyote Inn had an opening. We couldn't have picked a better place to unwind for the weekend.

The Inn was small and quiet. The rooms are beautifully decorated with personal touches and the kitchenettes have everything you need. The room was also very quiet, we didn't hear any noises like you do at the bigger hotels from our neighbors. It was very relaxing floating in the pool with just the sounds of the fountain. When you want to venture into town, it is just a short drive/walk away. (It's a few blocks off the main strip, so it's a little far to walk in the heat, but perfect at night)

Very friendly atmosphere, the hosts couldn't be better. We felt like we were at home and with family. We are looking forward to returning. Just wish we could make the trip more often.

nice, but definetely not the best inn in Palm springs

My husband and I stayed at the coyote this past weekend. We have stayed in Palm Springs numerous times and due to all the rave reviews of the coyote we decided to try it for ourselves.

This inn was definetly fair. It was very small. When we arrived we were given a different room from what we had reserved because of someone's error in the management office. We were given a tiny room, that was decorated tackily, without much space for your things. The swimming pool and spa were also very tiny and when other guests were in the pool you felt over crowded. The small size caused us to hear every conversation other guests were having, which was very annoying since we went there to unwind.

We will never stay here again. There are so many other inns that are beautiful, spacious, quiet and beautifully decorated were the inn keepers do little things to make your stay nicer. We don't understand what all the fuss is about this inn is mediocre at best.

Don't Believe Everything You Read.

My wife and I had read great reviews about the Coyote Inn from Tripadvisor. We tried to book a room for quite some time, but due to the popularity the Coyote Inn was always booked. About two months ago (remember this fact), I finally booked a room at the Coyote Inn. I booked a room for one night (10-09-04) during the “American Heat Motorcycle and Hot Rod” weekend. I saw a picture of the room I had reserved via the Internet. My wife and I were excited that we were finally staying at the Coyote Inn.

On 10-09-04, my wife and I arrived at the Coyote Inn on our Harley Davidson. We were both greeted by the hostess in the parking lot. We were told by the hostess that there had been an error with the reservation of our room. We were told by the hostess that due to the fact that we were staying only one night, we were moved to a smaller room. Being the fact that we had just rode over 40 miles in the hot desert sun and there was no other option to book a room on such a busy weekend, we accepted the smaller room. Anyone from the Coyote Inn had over two months to call us about the change so that my wife and I could’ve planned accordingly.

While checking in, the hostess and her husband relayed a story of a biker who stayed at the Coyote Inn. The story was that this biker brought bags (unknown if saddlebags) with him. The biker’s bags were covered in “motor oil.” Upon walking into his room the biker “threw” his bags on a light colored leather couch, subsequently dirtying the couch. The story that was relayed to my wife and I made us think if whether or not this was the reason of our room change. What if we drove to the Coyote Inn in our Benz? Maybe this was a forewarning not to dirty their leather couches because all bikers are dirty. I personally think that the Coyote Inn is not a biker friendly place and I felt insulted.

My wife an I have stayed at many resorts, hotels, and Inns in Palm Springs. To this date, we feel that the Coyote Inn is at the bottom of our list. I would never stay at the Coyote Inn again. I would never recommend it to my dearest family member or friend. I personally recommend the Andalusian Court or the Calla Lily Inn. I recommend these two places for their secluded, spacious, hospitable, and romantic atmospheres.

BEYOND RELAXING!!

Just last week my wife and I wanted to go to Palm Springs for some well deserved R&R(reading and Relaxing). Some friends told us about the Coyote Inn and said to look at it on tripadvisor.com. The reviews were amazing and so Janet(my wife) and I said we have to check it out. We booked the room and headed for the desert. Upon arrival we we greeted by the two most amazing people(Gary and Mary the owners). They were so helpful and made us feel like we were not mearly customers but part of the family. You have to experience this kind of hospitality to understand what I am talking about. The room was amazing ,I think we stayed in number 2 which is a suite. There is a gas fireplace next to the bed which you can see thru it to the living room! There is a full kitchen which has every imaginable ammenity. One of the most unique features is the stars above the bed. It feels like you are sleeping outside.

My wife need to wash a shirt she spilled wine on and Mary let us use there facilities at no charge. The two very memerable workers were there two pugs(pugsly and roxie) the two of them were great. Laying by the pool and realxing in the spa just looking at the beautifull mountain backdrop felt like heaven...... The Coyote inn is by far the best most relaxing visit to the desert we have ever had!!!! Thanks Gary and Mary for making us feel at home away from home!!

Still The Best Little Gem in The Desert.

by TripAdvisor Member TannMann

Whoa pardner...what's this I just read? Wow!...my last 11 days in April, at the Coyote could not have been better. I "personally" could "Never" recommend any other location in the Desert...love everything about it.

Room changes occur even at the biggest prestigest hotels, yet some people just don't seem to handle that and become very beligerant and nasty "ruining their own time" for relaxation.

No one can stop anyone from "reading things into" what they are told, thank god, and no one should ever believe ONLY one or two disgruntled reviews.

Mid-October was not a "full moon", but gee...it sounds like NO PLACE could account for bad moods. And knowingly, no place can be all things to all people.

There are "worse crosses to bear" than one individual trying to represent the masses in attempting to label an establishment as "biker unfriendly" just because they personally think so.

Decorating is and always will be a personal view, yet "tackily" has no place in describing the Coyote Inn, but maybe that was just another spelling and grammatical error...who really knows?

Yes...some people might need larger spaces, larger pools and spas, and they probably also do not do well in meeting and conversing with friendly, wonderfu people like those I have met around the pool at the Coyote Inn.

I have always enjoyed my experiences with other guests at the Coyote. It is amazing how enjoyable a stay can become if you too are out-going and friendly. I don't know of any hotel that can do it for you.

IN CLOSING...I will "never" look elsewhere for a place to "recommend to family, friends, or anyone" who truly wants their own, family-like, small, secluded, well-appointed, super-clean, get-away in the Desert.

Mary and Gary...keep up the good work, and very friendly atmosphere you two have worked so hard to provide to your guests. DO NOT let a "couple bad apples" spoil "The Best Little Gem in the Desert"...Love your place! Bob H.

Comments